Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Dublin team the greatest in Gaelic football history

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

were there All star teams though? did the All Star teams play a match? I don't know, i never follow that all star carry on

You always know the young fans by these questions.

Have you ever heard of All-Stars tours where the All-Stars plus extras went to the US and took on the reigning All-Ireland champions in exhibition matches?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Excellent article by Alan Brogan that gives the inside story on how the Dubs worked for their All-Irelands and how they were supported by voluntary unpaid support.

"People have an obsession about the size of Dublin’s backroom team but other than Bryan Cullen and maybe the physios – who put in huge hours during the day – they’re unpaid volunteers."

He also talks about the money.

"Dublin are-well funded for the purposes of increasing the spread and participation of Gaelic games at grassroots level to as many areas and as many people in the country’s biggest population centre as possible."

This is the key point and one I have been making time and again on here.

It is time that the whingers and begrudgers took a back seat and we start to acclaim the greatest team to have played the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

Excellent article by Alan Brogan that gives the inside story on how the Dubs worked for their All-Irelands and how they were supported by voluntary unpaid support.

"People have an obsession about the size of Dublin’s backroom team but other than Bryan Cullen and maybe the physios – who put in huge hours during the day – they’re unpaid volunteers."

He also talks about the money.

"Dublin are-well funded for the purposes of increasing the spread and participation of Gaelic games at grassroots level to as many areas and as many people in the country’s biggest population centre as possible."

This is the key point and one I have been making time and again on here.

It is time that the whingers and begrudgers took a back seat and we start to acclaim the greatest team to have played the game.

Until they surpass the Kerry side of the 70's & 80's... they'll be looked ion as second best, I know some people find that hard to accept, but it's the truth fellas

Until they surpass the Kerry side of the 70's & 80's... they'll be looked ion as second best, I know some people find that hard to accept, but it's the truth fellas

They have surpassed the Kerry side of the 70s and 80s.

That Kerry team just played three or four games to win All-Irelands and did nothing the rest of the year.

This Dublin team dominates all aspects of the game, from the O'Byrne Cup through the National League to the All-Ireland. The best, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They already have, well maybe not surpass but are ahead on tiebreaker By virtue of 28 championship games unbeaten and 3 national league and all ireland doubles to one.

Kerry were brilliant but they were playing 3-4 championship games a season in a time of 2.5 provinces.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,367 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have surpassed the Kerry side of the 70s and 80s.

That Kerry team just played three or four games to win All-Irelands and did nothing the rest of the year.

This Dublin team dominates all aspects of the game, from the O'Byrne Cup through the National League to the All-Ireland. The best, ever.

You didn't dominate us in the National League this year. ;) Looking forward to giving them another lesson in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

It's funny how sane fans from the other 30 counties aren't calling this Dublin team "The bestest ever, ever"!

Lads it's a great team...they clicked at a time when they can dominate...but they ain't the best ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The record books will show what this Dublin team have achieved. Nothing else matters after that.

You didn't dominate us in the National League this year. ;) Looking forward to giving them another lesson in January.

Yup, Monaghan won a meaningless game in Croke Park against Dublin C, well done to them.

They must be the real All-Ireland champions. We will win up in Clones like we usually do, must meet up for a pint if you are going.

It's funny how sane fans from the other 30 counties aren't calling this Dublin team "The bestest ever, ever"!

Lads it's a great team...they clicked at a time when they can dominate...but they ain't the best ever....

To be honest I am not a fan of this GOAT idea in any sport but some of the stuff said about Dublin needed to be countered.

If someone says theyve seen both teams and team x were better because of their skills or style I respect that.

If you are saying it is easier for Dublin now please look at Kerrys route to final in 1980 and 1981.

On statistics alone it is Dublin.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    To be honest I am not a fan of this GOAT idea in any sport but some of the stuff said about Dublin needed to be countered.

If someone says theyve seen both teams and team x were better because of their skills or style I respect that.

If you are saying it is easier for Dublin now please look at Kerrys route to final in 1980 and 1981.

On statistics alone it is Dublin.

I saw both teams, and Dublin are light years ahead of that Kerry team.

Yup, Monaghan won a meaningless game in Croke Park against Dublin C, well done to them.

They must be the real All-Ireland champions. We will win up in Clones like we usually do, must meet up for a pint if you are going.

I saw two teams doing their best to win. Apparently the Dublin team always go out to win and play positive football, wasn't good enough on the only day they were defeated this year. ;)
    Will you have a flower in your lapel? Whiskey is my drink of choice if you're buying.

I saw two teams doing their best to win. Apparently the Dublin team always go out to win and play positive football, wasn't good enough on the only day they were defeated this year. ;)
    Will you have a flower in your lapel? Whiskey is my drink of choice if you're buying.

Dublin only had 7 players who started the All-Ireland final. Some of the rest haven't been seen since.

Might try and get a poppy for my top. Whisky is my drink.

Dublin only had 7 players who started the All-Ireland final. Some of the rest haven't been seen since.

Might try and get a poppy for my top. Whisky is my drink.

Now blanch, don't be at it. ;) Whisky sour maybe?

Dublin: E Comerford; M Fitzsimons, P McMahon (0-02), D Byrne (0-01); J Small (0-01), J McCarthy, D Daly; B Fenton (0-02), S Carthy; N Scully (0-01), C Costello, B Howard (0-02); D Rock (0-07, 5fs), C McHugh, K McManamon.

Subs used: MD Macauley for Carthy (43); C Basquel (0-1) for McManamon (43); E Murchan for Daly (53); P Small for McHugh (53); E Ó Conghaile for Costello (64).

Now blanch, don't be at it. ;) Whisky sour maybe?

Dublin: E Comerford; M Fitzsimons, P McMahon (0-02), D Byrne (0-01); J Small (0-01), J McCarthy, D Daly; B Fenton (0-02), S Carthy; N Scully (0-01), C Costello, B Howard (0-02); D Rock (0-07, 5fs), C McHugh, K McManamon.

Subs used: MD Macauley for Carthy (43); C Basquel (0-1) for McManamon (43); E Murchan for Daly (53); P Small for McHugh (53); E Ó Conghaile for Costello (64).

Scotch, actually.

I have a bottle of Laphroaig here, might have a wee nip over the weekend and celebrate blotting the copybook of the GOAT this year, the only county to do it. Bottoms up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

invicta wrote: »
    I still think as a ‘team’ the Kerry team from 77 to 82 can never be overtaken, simply because it was practically the same 22 - 25 fellas that started in 77 were still there in 82.
    How many players have Dublin “blooded” in the last 5 years???

Surely that makes the achievement even better?
    Dublin have to play so many games Kerry had to play much less.
    The fact that Kerry stuck with the same players was thier downfall in the end, many Kerry young fellas never got a look in and the team aged.
    I think it is much more an achievement to organically change a team overtime and have the balls to drop big guns like Flynn, Connolly, Bernard brogan etc.

What other manager would have the guts to do that??
    Then play Con O'Callaghan, Howard, Scully etc having given them a chance to impress in the league and O'Byrne cup.
    Also giving Murchan a chance at corner back.

Micko would NEVER have been that brave with his Kerry team.
    He even admitted himself that he was too loyal to the players that brought him success.
    Even Paidi O'Sé came around to the same belief in the end.

Some former Kerry players (Bryan Sheehan) hoped/believed this Dublin team would not have the 'hunger' for four in a row.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/are-they-going-to-be-as-hungry-to-do-the-fourinarow-former-kerry-star-bryan-sheehan-questions-dublins-drive-36865490.html

But even he admitted if they do it they are up there with the great Kerry team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Of course it can be disputed...and tbf...they will not be considered the greatest team of all time because the standard of opposition is poor...are they a greate team...yes...the greatest...nah... No matter what all the blue eyed boys on here think

They have changed the game of football forever and revolutionised it in terms of tactics.
    What did the great Kerry team do? Kick and catch that was the limit of it.

Now we see keepers acting as sweeper and corner backs able to take scores.
    Also Dublin rarely hit wide they try to carefully manage possession so they only take shots from the D.

A class outfit and a class manager they will be talking about/studying this Dublin team in 100 years and the Kerry team of the 70's/80's will be a minor footnote at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

A really good article from Alan Brogan discussing some of the elements that did, and didn’t, take this team to where they are

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-dublin-worked-slavishly-hard-for-their-allireland-successes-and-its-an-insult-to-attribute-it-to-money-37290634.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

They have changed the game of football forever and revolutionised it in terms of tactics.
    What did the great Kerry team do? Kick and catch that was the limit of it.

Now we see keepers acting as sweeper and corner backs able to take scores.
    Also Dublin rarely hit wide they try to carefully manage possession so they only take shots from the D.

A class outfit and a class manager they will be talking about/studying this Dublin team in 100 years and the Kerry team of the 70's/80's will be a minor footnote at most.

That is not necessarily a good thing for the game.
    It remains to be seen if they have changed the game forever. Their current game plan is predicated on them being the fittest, strongest, fastest team in the game, if that changes and other teams come up to their level on those attributes, they may have to evolve again.
    That Kerry team brought the game to a new level also and lifted the standard of football as the Dubs have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I have a bottle of Laphroaig here, might have a wee nip over the weekend and celebrate blotting the copybook of the GOAT this year, the only county to do it. Bottoms up! ;)

What year?
    The 18 is spectacular if you can get your hands on it.

robbiezero wrote: »
    That is not necessarily a good thing for the game.
    It remains to be seen if they have changed the game forever. Their current game plan is predicated on them being the fittest, strongest, fastest team in the game, if that changes and other teams come up to their level on those attributes, they may have to evolve again.
    That Kerry team brought the game to a new level also and lifted the standard of football as the Dubs have done.

But you have left out the most important attributes the most skillful team, the best managed and the most intelligent.
    The Dubs have changed the game forever already.
    They had to bring in rules for the short kick out to stop cluxton from kicking it very short.
    There is also talk of limiting the handpass, this is also because Dublin have become so adept at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭robbiezero

But you have left out the most important attributes the most skillful team, the best managed and the most intelligent.
    The Dubs have changed the game forever already.
    They had to bring in rules for the short kick out to stop cluxton from kicking it very short.
    There is also talk of limiting the handpass, this is also because Dublin have become so adept at it.

I left out "the most skillful" team which they certainly are, because it is becoming somewhat irrelevant in their newly evolved game plan. Certainly they are also the best managed and most intelligent.
    The reason people are complaining about the handpass is because when you are the strongest, fittest, fastest team the handpass (the simplest skill in the game) is your best mechanism for retaining possession. Its a very clever game plan and plays exactly to their strengths, but (for some, not all) its not very entertaining to watch.
    I would not be in favor of changing the rules. Teams will evolve to challenge Dublins possession and running game and the Dubs will evolve again.
    As a good article in the Times during the week highlighted, we have almost always been giving out about the state of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Not even in the top 3 Islay malts.

Lagavulin.
    Bowmore.
    Caol Ila.

Have you ever been right about anything? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jaden wrote: »

Lagavulin.
    Bowmore.
    Caol Ila.

Can't say I agree re Bowmore.

Nod of the head to the rest.

Jaden wrote: »

Lagavulin.
    Bowmore.
    Caol Ila.

Don't start him on the GWOAT :rolleyes: ;)

Slattsy wrote: »
    What year?
    The 18 is spectacular if you can get your hands on it.

It's only a youngster. 10 year old.

Folks, we actually have a "what whisky/whiskey are you drinking" thread...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108017408

Your contributions would be most welcome there, especially in the area of unpeated aged Scotch cos it seems like ye have been holding out on us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

They probably are the greatest, buy there is an asterisk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Slattsy wrote: »
    Can't say I agree re Bowmore.

Nod of the head to the rest.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd *both* be wrong.

Bowmore, is probably the most "balanced" of the Islay malts. It has abit of everything, but isn't to everyone's taste. The one most akin to Dublin.

Lagavulin is Seaweed and Bog peat - Donegal.
    Laphraoig is unadulterated pure malt, and could pass as disinfectant. Kerry.
    Caol Ila, beautiful, well made, never wins awards. Mayo.

I could go on...

Advertisement