Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Dublin team the greatest in Gaelic football history

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Pointless discussion.

They both have four in a row, so they rank alongside each other. Full Stop.

Very impressed with Darragh O'Se articles last week and this week.

Glad he calls it like it is - The Dubs are a mile ahead of every other county.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No. I'm saying that basic pick is from the 16 senior A clubs. Occasionally players from outside that - Callaghan and Scully for example from Senior B - will be selected.

So let us be generous and say that between Senior A and B there is a pick of around 800 excluding non Dubs and those who are too old.

It is bigger pick than most counties but is a more valid comparison than comparing the entire population of Dublin to the entire population of any other county.

I assume Monaghan don't have 30 senior clubs so those playing club at high enough standard to be able to compete at top level inter county would be presumably less than your figure?

Not sure about your point.....

You are saying they are picking from the A teams of 30 senior clubs? True.

But some of those clubs have up to 2000 members and 6 or 7 male adult teams.....Cuala, Na Fianna, Vincents

Its not like your club in Monaghan that has 150 members of whom 40 are men playing senior football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You're not comparing like with like though.

You were the one comparing to world cup wins by the host nation.

We are not taking about Munster. We are talking about the issue that Croke park is not a neutral venue when Dublin are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Not sure about your point.....

You are saying they are picking from the A teams of 30 senior clubs? True.

But some of those clubs have up to 2000 members and 6 or 7 male adult teams.....Cuala, Na Fianna, Vincents

Its not like your club in Monaghan that has 150 members of whom 40 are men playing senior football.

Number of adult footballers is a fairer measure than the number of senior teams if comparing playing population sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

We are not taking about Munster. We are talking about the issue that Croke park is not a neutral venue when Dublin are playing.

You’re right, they should just move it to one of the GAA’s other 80,000 capacity stadiums around the country when Dublin are playing

• Advertisement

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    You’re right, they should just move it to one of the GAA’s other 80,000 capacity stadiums around the country when Dublin are playing

Or since they don't have a home ground capable of housing all their season ticket holders, make Dublin play away for all matches until SF stage of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not sure where you are coming from here... Another poster raised the World Cup host effect, which I was rebutting:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107998352&postcount=261

You are bringing in Six Nations matches as an example of home advantage, but reject points of comparison with actual GAA matches played in Munster in the last 5 years? There's no doubt in my mind which is more relevant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think that one is overdone.

Ireland is a small country. To give an illustration - Limerick is in a different province on a different side of the country - but the Limerick hurlers were still able to take the train up the morning of the match for the all Ireland final.

Yes, Croke Park is essentially a home ground for Dublin footballers. But lots of counties are used to playing there, and that really erodes any so called home advantage, because on the day itself the ticket allocation is the same I am assuming.

I think the far bigger advantage is that the Dubs are used to playing big matches in Croke Park.

To make the alternative comparison - the Dublin hurlers would be far less used to playing big matches in Croke Park than Galway or Kilkenny.

Tyrone is a two hour drive away, and the Tyrone footballers, I'd imagine most of them have played Croke Park a number of times previously.

I think that one is overdone.

Ireland is a small country. To give an illustration - Limerick is in a different province on a different side of the country - but the Limerick hurlers were still able to take the train up the morning of the match for the all Ireland final.

Yes, Croke Park is essentially a home ground for Dublin footballers. But lots of counties are used to playing there, and that really erodes any so called home advantage, because on the day itself the ticket allocation is the same I am assuming.

I think the far bigger advantage is that the Dubs are used to playing big matches in Croke Park.

To make the alternative comparison - the Dublin hurlers would be far less used to playing big matches in Croke Park than Galway or Kilkenny.

Tyrone is a two hour drive away, and the Tyrone footballers, I'd imagine most of them have played Croke Park a number of times previously.

That is a fair point. To most counties playing in Croke park is a big day, to Dublin it had become normal because that play all their games there

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

For me the Kerry team of the 70’s and 80’s were on another level, this Dublin team is a great team no question but in my opinion Mick o Dwyers teams were awesome.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with 90% of what you've written but I'd even go a little further and say, the Dubs are used to playing big matches full stop. The Dublin hurlers are less used to playing big matches.

It's not Croke Park that's important, it's that it's in front of crowds of 50,000 - 80,000.
    Given that Tyrone beat Monaghan in front of 50,000 at Croke Park just two weeks before the final, I don't see how they would be fazed by a final there (anymore than they would be playing a final anywhere).

That is a fair point. To most counties playing in Croke park is a big day, to Dublin it had become normal because that play all their games there

I kind of mean the other way around.

Because of the League and the qualifiers, its not that unusual for the better counties to find themselves in Croke Park. Monaghan have probably played there twice a year on average in recent times for example.

However, playing in front of 20000 people in February is very different to playing an all ireland final.

By contrast, the Dubs have now done 6 of the last 8 finals.

If you go back to 2011, the Dubs were in their first final since 1995. None of them had ever played one. By contrast, Aidan o'Mahony, Tomas O'Se, Colm Cooper - they were playing the 7th or 8th final......The Kerry lads probably had the advantage that day, they were more used to playing Croke Park on AI Final Day.

I might be stretching it a bit, but the general point I am making is that I dont think Croke Park is the advantage people say it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭dunnerc

munster87 wrote: »
    I’m from Kerry, Dublin are definitely performing at a different level to us at the moment. Hopefully not for too much longer though.

Im from Dublin and I hope we perform at a higher level to Kerry for ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Firstly before I add a few more measages before I add develop a few points. I want to say.

Congratulations to Dublin. These are great days to be a Dub.
    In terms of greatness we can say for certain
    This is the greatest Dublin team team ever , fact.
    This is the best team in the country by a mile, fact.
    This is one of the greatest teams ever , fact.

For me I always felt winning back to back titles in football was one of the hardest things to do in Irish modern sport. And it was. And still is. I never thought I would see a team winning 3 in a row in my lifetime in football after kerry achieved it in the mid 80s. And I believed 4 in a row in football was beyond impossible. But thats what this incredible team have done.

Its pretty simple if you look at the stats and other great teams from the past, 6 All Irelands including a 4 in a row means this Dublin team is undisputed the second greatest team ever. If they win the holy grail of Irish sport, the 5 in a row, something kerry kilkenny or even Garth Brooks couldnt do. Win 5 in a row they be will the undisputed greatest team ever. Its as simple as that. Well done to the Dubs. Great team great players, incredible achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

mickeyk wrote: »
    Im not moving goalposts and your opinion is not a ‘fact’. I do think they got very close in 2016 and but for a blatant and undeniable refereeing mistake would have had a draw and replay, same as Mayo in the subsequent final. We can dispute a difference of a point or two in defeats if you want to take it that far.

If you're not then why have you brought up narratives, refereeing decisions, and repeatedly mentioned medals and success? This has nothing to do with any of that.

Are you sensitive to being made aware of the reality that Mayo competed with Dublin in a way that Kerry didn't? This isn't my opinion and it's not exactly controversial. As I've mentioned, in addition to the two draws Mayo have had in the same period, their scoring difference with Dublin is superior to Kerry's. On average Kerry's scoring deficit has been over double what Mayo's has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭rm75

Anyway while its a matter of personal opinion I think we are all agreed the Dubs are currently tied with Kerry as the greatest team of all time. Should they win the AI next year they will be the undisputed greatest team of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

dunnerc wrote: »
    Im from Dublin and I hope we perform at a higher level to Kerry for ever :D

Ha ten years ago our counties had contrasting positions. And in ten years time sure who knows, maybe even Mayo will be winning All Ireland’s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

munster87 wrote: »
    Ha ten years ago our counties had contrasting positions. And in ten years time sure who knows, maybe even Mayo will be winning All Ireland’s!

Now now, less of that nonsense talk please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

People are being a bit harsh on Kerry.

Given how they have been in their worst state for 2 decades it is admirable that they have ran Dublin close the last 4 times.

People are looking at them for how badly they have fared since 2016. Similar to how Tyrone were judged on 1 bad day last year. Ask any Dublin fan about the ease of all the Kerry games the last decade. Might be surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

rm75 wrote: »
    Anyway while its a matter of personal opinion I think we are all agreed the Dubs are currently tied with Kerry as the greatest team of all time. Should they win the AI next year they will be the undisputed greatest team of all time.

There is no agreement on that opinion of yours I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Ah yeah but you seem happy enough to change you’re opinion about what they need to do to be considered the GOAT that I firmly believe you will never consider them that.

So u already consider them the GOAT ? Personally i agree but winning next year will leave no room for argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Technically the greatest teams were the Ireland teams in that compromise rules series in the 2000s, they didn't always fare well against the Australians but if that squad played 2010s Dublin they would win.

I used to have this as my text message alert, a nice piece of commentary. "Big strong tall Derryman"

https://youtu.be/odUAG-UHD94?t=4m31s

Currently we have a number of teams that have won 4 in a row. Of those one now has an opportunity to make that 5. Should that happen then nobody can seriously dispute they would be the greatest team of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

TrueGael wrote: »
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmLcA63W4AMyK8o.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmLe6FMVsAQasSl.jpg

One is a true 'Once in a Lifetime' as evidenced by what happened post 86' the other is the product of a mass production line churning out player after player

You do realize that one of those is over 5 years and the other is over 8 years right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Currently we have a number of teams that have won 4 in a row. Of those one now has an opportunity to make that 5. Should that happen then nobody can seriously dispute they would be the greatest team of all time.

It’s hard to say, can’t remember much of that Wexford team!

Technically the greatest teams were the Ireland teams in that compromise rules series in the 2000s, they didn't always fare well against the Australians but if that squad played 2010s Dublin they would win.

Ah now, if we start including them we'd have to consider the merits of every All Star team!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ah now, if we start including them we'd have to consider the merits of every All Star team!

were there All star teams though? did the All Star teams play a match? I don't know, i never follow that all star carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Of course it can be disputed...and tbf...they will not be considered the greatest team of all time because the standard of opposition is poor...are they a greate team...yes...the greatest...nah... No matter what all the blue eyed boys on here think

• Advertisement

were there All star teams though? did the All Star teams play a match? I don't know, i never follow that all star carry on

Well at least the All Stars are a designated Gaelic Football team.

All respect to our International Rules teams for competing in a Blood Bowl deathmatch but that wasn't gaelic football!

Advertisement