Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

TheChrisD wrote: »
    You're also completely skipping over the option of the W8 direct from Tallaght to Celbridge via "the back roads". 18.6km, Google Maps says 27 minutes driving, so maybe 30-35 for the bus; so the whole trip could possibly be done in an hour if the interchanges are fast enough.

Yes, I didn't mention that one because the frequencies were a good bit lower, and also I don't know what those roads are like.

Hopefully the interchanges will actually be properly synced though - it should be possible considering they're all terminating at/starting from the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Posters have gone up all over Lucan for a public meeting next Wednesday from 6-9.

It's being hosted by Cllr Emer Higgins (FG).

I'm assuming it'll be slightly more informed than normal. Right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just seen a story in the Irish Independent stating that bus fares are to rise for people if there is a flat fare. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-bus-fares-to-rise-for-some-customers-under-new-busconnects-scheme-37292253.html.
    COMMUTERS using the €2.15 fare on Dublin Bus are set for a price increase – with the NTA planning a flat fare as part of the new BusConnects scheme.

The fare, which currently covers stages six to 13, will be replaced by a flat fare between €2.15 and €2.60, the most commonly used daily fares.

The NTA says the fare change will mean a decrease for those who currently pay the €2.60 fare, which covers further than 13 stops.

Of the 59 million journeys recorded for €2.15 fares and upwards, 41pc were for the €2.15 fare, with the remainder for the €2.60 Leap Card fare, cash fares and journeys on more than one bus.

According to the NTA the 59pc will spend less.

Those who pay the flat fare will be able to avail of any modes of transport around the Dublin area within 90 minutes of tapping your Leap Card.

Note how many paragraphs down it is before they mention the key fact that it is a multi-mode fare, which really is something is key to the story. Pretty much standard I think for anything about public transport in the media to look for something negative. That's before you take into account they equate a stage to a stop.

Of course some people are going to lose out, but having a properly integrated fare for all modes and reducing the number of fares and driver interaction is overall a very positive thing for me since it will speed up journeys a lot and make the service more efficient.

At least where fares are concerned, we are unlikely to hear about roving gangs of pensioners protesting about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It seems any anytime we do something to improve public transport it get's bad publicity in the media. I don't what their stance is regarding public transport but it seems they have an all change is bad agenda. It's riddiculous Bus Connects gets bad publicity, Luas CC got bad publicity, Metrolink gets bad publicity, DART 10 minute frequency gets bad publicity. It seems the NTA can't win.

I don't understand what people want they complain about how bad public transport is currently but anytime they do something to improve it they don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It seems any anytime we do something to improve public transport it get's bad publicity in the media. I don't what their stance is regarding public transport but it seems they have an all change is bad agenda. It's riddiculous Bus Connects gets bad publicity, Luas CC got bad publicity, Metrolink gets bad publicity, DART 10 minute frequency gets bad publicity. It seems the NTA can't win.

I also remember an article in the media about the new traffic measures on the quays that took the absolute worst case scenario and led with it.

It's very clear Irish journalists don't take the bus anywhere. An analysis of media ownership and overlap with interests in car parks etc would be interesting.

While sitting on a bus today listening to the very slow "clink.....clink....clink" of someone paying by cash after a nice debate about the fare and holding up the bus for a full minute I find it hard to think people in general are so happy with the status quo they're unwilling to give something else a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Media make a lot of money out of car advertising, nothing out of public transport.

Also (like Saorview) it's abundantly clear that the so-called journalists writing about public transport don't actually use it or have the first clue about what they're writing about.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

A fair increase for some now being sold as an improvement. Patience wearing thin with this. I understand the need to have a time fair but essentially for commuters who use one bus, it’s yet another fair increase.

Other than the well needed Leap discount, it’s just increase after increase.

Kh1993 wrote: »
    A fair increase for some now being sold as an improvement. Patience wearing thin with this. I understand the need to have a time fair but essentially for commuters who use one bus, it’s yet another fair increase.

Or you could say that removing the penalty for a customer who switches modes is being sold as a bad thing and instead we should punish them for going from a bus to a train or a bus to a LUAS for example like we do now?

The new proposals will allow someone who could be paying over €4.50 at the moment for a multi-modal fare to pay somewhere around €2.60 in the future which is a significant saving for the people who are paying the most at the moment.

Increases over the past two years have been less than in previous years and also the fare determinations that have shown for single fares that Dublin Bus has asked for, suggested that DB often wanted to increase fares by more than they were allowed.

Personally I think that the fact that we're removing penalties that are built into the system, to allow the commuters who pay the most to cut their fare by up to half is very much a good thing. Sure I understand that some people will not be happy and will lose out, but this proposal basically caps the cost of trip to €2.60 within Dublin, which is a significant decrease in fares.

Also the removal of so many fare tiers and reduction in driver interaction on the Dublin City bus network will reduce dwell and journey times, meaning journeys on buses can be completed quicker meaning that the same number of vehicles can provide additional capacity by doing more runs on a route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There's no consideration for a person just using one mode anymore. It's all about the passengers using a complex array of 'connections'. This is the taking away of the direct bus thing, so you won't be able to just use one bus. If you don't use train, bus, plane and tram every morning, you're doing it wrong and should be ashamed of yourself..

I'd be pretty sure the lower fares are the one who have weathered the cost increases over the years too. The 2.60 fare has been reasonably stable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For someone who takes 1 bus over 3 stages (which I imagine is a significant percentage of Dublin bus customers) the fare is increasing over 20% from 2.15 to 2.60. That's a big increase. Less than 3 stages is currently 1.50 so that will be about a 70% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Flat fare will take away the need for revenue protection. And the need to pursue petty legal battles.

But what are they doing about the 1.50/2.10 fare. Heavily abused , I would guess by 30% of it use.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

For someone who takes 1 bus over 3 stages (which I imagine is a significant percentage of Dublin bus customers) the fare is increasing over 20% from 2.15 to 2.60. That's a big increase. Less than 3 stages is currently 1.50 so that will be about a 70% increase.

This is what the NTA said in July:
    Fares will be simplified in a way that will make interchange between bus, Dart and Luas seamless. Two Leap fares will be available:

* A 90-minute fare that will allow a customer any combination of bus, Dart and Luas for a journey, subject to the last leg commencing within 90 minutes of the start of the overall trip.
    *A short-distance fare paid each trip for particularly short journeys.

If a flat fare is introduced it will likely only be 10 to 15c more than the current €2.15 fare for 4-13 stages. If you are making various different journeys some of which are €2.60 and other €2.15 which most people then you will still likely end up paying the same amount on fares over a period of time as you are at present perhaps even less as the proposed fares being talked about are meant to be somewhere around the €2.30 mark so it will be nearer to €2.15 than €2.60.

If you are travelling everyday on a €2.15 fare to and from work or college then then the assumption would be that you are on a Taxsaver ticket or a Student Rambler.

dfx- wrote: »
    There's no consideration for a person just using one mode anymore. It's all about the passengers using a complex array of 'connections'. If you don't use train, bus, plane and tram every morning, you're doing it wrong and should be ashamed of yourself..

No, it's about having a functional, modern style transport system that people in other European cities enjoy, where the overall system is king rather than having each individual mode looking after itself and caring little about the public that the system was set up to supposedly serve.

If people want to use one mode and one mode for them is good then that's fine, but at the same time people who might be going similar distances shouldn't have to pay a lot more, almost double in some cases, just because they happen to change mode.

The simple fact is these proposals will make the maximum fare for a public transport journey in Dublin become €2.50 or thereabouts. Right now it can be almost as high as €5 depending on where you are going. That means a huge saving for people and that is something I will always welcome.

It will also reduce the amount of fare evasion in the company, improve dwell times and mean buses can complete their journeys quicker. That's a good thing because it will speed up peoples commute to work, school, university and seeing family and friends and attending events. All of that is a good thing.

Sure there will be some losers, I acknowledge that, but there will be far more winners at the end of the day as a result of having a properly integrated transport system that removes punishments for people who simply have no choice but to switch modes or buses.

Flat fare will take away the need for revenue protection. And the need to pursue petty legal battles.

But what are they doing about the 1.50/2.10 fare. Heavily abused , I would guess by 30% of it use.

Still a need for revenue protection as people could still sneek on particularly if the driver dosen't care which is fair enough or for people on fake welfare passes etc.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Still a need for revenue protection as people could still sneek on particularly if the driver dosen't care which is fair enough or for people on fake welfare passes etc.

A lot tougher for people to sneak on when there's only a single way to pay, and a flat fare. Right now people can sneak on because the driver is distracted by cash fares or people doing a custom stage journey Leap transaction. There should be far fewer distractions for drivers in future.

If the driver doesn't care, well I'm sure the CCTV monitoring in buses would be capable of spotting that.

MJohnston wrote: »
    If the driver doesn't care, well I'm sure the CCTV monitoring in buses would be capable of spotting that.

I know in the past in DB, it was not permitted for CCTV to be used as evidence as part of any disciplinary action against drivers, unless a law (as opposed t a rule) had been broken or the Gardai had been involved in the matter.

Essentially I believe the point to that is that there is an agreement that the CCTV is there for safety reasons and not to nanny the drivers or to check up on them.

devnull wrote: »
    I know in the past in DB, it was not permitted for CCTV to be used as evidence as part of any disciplinary action against drivers, unless a law (as opposed t a rule) had been broken or the Gardai had been involved in the matter.

Essentially I believe the point to that is that there is an agreement that the CCTV is there for safety reasons and not to nanny the drivers or to check up on them.

Drivers aren't required to check each passenger has a valid ticket or pass either from what I gather. If they do they do so voluntarily rather than as a requirement from what I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dfx- wrote: »
    There's no consideration for a person just using one mode anymore. It's all about the passengers using a complex array of 'connections'. This is the taking away of the direct bus thing, so you won't be able to just use one bus. If you don't use train, bus, plane and tram every morning, you're doing it wrong and should be ashamed of yourself..

Talk about utter garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Using CCTV for monitoring of staff is a huge data protection issue

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/242.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Talk about utter garbage.

His comments or the garbage that is being made of Dublin's public transport?

We are witnessing the biggest single balls up of our city's transport network. Multiple brands, lack of consistency , state body / operator convenience over that of its users.

When you have a transport authority that takes a kick to the nuts and bends over regarding the colour of a bus .. well , I think we all know how bus connects is going to end up.

Project 2040, lovely branding and PR but the reality will be a concept as productive as the millennium clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you have a transport authority that takes a kick to the nuts and bends over regarding the colour of a bus .. well , I think we all know how bus connects is going to end up.
    You feel that making buses usable for people with disabilities is 'bending over'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

You feel that making buses usable for people with disabilities is 'bending over'?

Yes.

Hyped up nonsense. Somebody not able to see a big bus coming with a bright orange number/destination display and on stop RTPI showing when it is due is unlikely to be out unaccompanied.

Two yellow reflective stickers at the top of the bus would have achieved the same if it's such a big deal.

Or they could have just consulted with the relevant stake holders before designing a livery.

Either way it's incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If that was actually a thing then all buses would be yellow, not just DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Just seen a story in the Irish Independent stating that bus fares are to rise for people if there is a flat fare. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/revealed-bus-fares-to-rise-for-some-customers-under-new-busconnects-scheme-37292253.html.

Note how many paragraphs down it is before they mention the key fact that it is a multi-mode fare, which really is something is key to the story. Pretty much standard I think for anything about public transport in the media to look for something negative. That's before you take into account they equate a stage to a stop.

Of course some people are going to lose out, but having a properly integrated fare for all modes and reducing the number of fares and driver interaction is overall a very positive thing for me since it will speed up journeys a lot and make the service more efficient.

Thats the Irish media for you.

If they decided in the morning to speed up the SlainteCare rollout and give 97% of the population free GP care, there would be front page stories about the 3%.
    In fact they DID moan about this. SlainteCare is something the country has needed for ages, the big problem with the health system was one govt began reforms then some other govt gets in slams the brakes on and starts over, now we have a plan (an outline but its a start) that has all party agreement, which will provide universal coverage and structural reform no matter who is in charge...and they found a way to whinge about this. There was one part to honestly complain about (the lack of a funding model) but they didn't say "this is great but here is a big bit the govt is missing", they said "here is the bit thats missing therefore this is crap".

I was amazed to listen to Joe Duffy during the debate about the Ballybrophy line, people calling in saying "dey say nobody uses it well i use it!"....no woman we didn't mean LITERALLY nobody uses it, we meant not enough people use it...did the 7-8 people think a rail line should keep going just for them??? Apparently! No concept of the big picture.

This is the fundamental problem with our political system and why I think we should move to a PR-LIST style system from PRSTV, that way we'd be voting for parties rather than candidates and the debate would be about national policy not parish pump bs. What happens now is because local govt has no power our national TDs are worrying about the local roads and local this and that not national big picture, if you have a junior minister or minister in your area you will get better funding for xyz, so the country is governed like a broken jigsaw puzzle rather than one joined up stragetic bit.

My fellow FFers and many in other parties don't like the idea of party list because they say it will give too much power to party HQ and disempower local people, so lets do MMPR at least, like Germany, where you have two ballots, a mix of party list and constituencies - at least then we'd have some kind of national strategic thinking. You may think this is politics and it's nothing to do with this but it's exactly to do with it - it's why we don't have joined up thinking and a few outlying estates can threaten to derail a brilliant strategic redesign of the bus network. Parish Pump is killing this country.

Back to the journos you can see it with the ridiculous reaction to the introduction of the PSC cards "OH NO THEY'LL HAVE YOUR PPS NUMBER ON THEM....YOUR PPS NUMBER!!!!!! "....You mean like the old cards did?
    "OH NO THEY'LL HAVE A PHOTO OF YOU"...you mean like the state already did with my passport? "BUT IT'S BIOMETRIC...BIO - METRIC!! DOESN'T THAT SOUND SCARY???? BIO METRIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE YOUR DNA AND PRINTS!!!"...no...they don't...but what if they did? The US govt has your fingerprints if you went on holidays there, you don't care about that why would you care about your own govt having them?
    People wanting to continue using an old fraudtastic travel pass just to avoid the state having information they already have! and the media supports this!

Look at the BusConnects coverage in general, they focus on the tiny number of estates that are losing a DIRECT connection to the cc totally ignoring that these people will, mostly, still get a faster ride to the same place.

It's Joe Duffy Syndrome, they don't understand the concept of you lose out slightly so that the rest of society can be improved. We all deal with this all the time. None of us likes taxes being taken out of our wages but we do it for the greater good.

They do it because this helps them sell papers, get eyeballs and generate clicks because there is something in the Irish psyche that loves being a professional whinger.

I saw similar whinging about the Belfast Glider, I was up there myself and took a ride on it and loved it, much quicker. I noted that most of the articles were talking about it in theory "Translink claims...." and it hit me...its been running now..and none of these people writing about it have ACTUALLY TRIED IT. One moany whingy article said "this route replaces the 4X which used to have 7 stops...but the Glider has many more stops...Translink CLAIMS it will still be faster..." , whereas the one journo who actually bothered to try that trip made the same stops point and noted "its still as fast as the 4x despite more stops". It's clear many Irish journos don't use PT themselves.

One thing I love about Glider the most - and I would love to see done at major DB and Luas stops here - is you tag before you get on, not only no driver interaction but no halting AT ALL when the thing arrives, you just jump on and off you go.

I appear to be in the extreme minority in politically involved people in not wanting to pander relentlessly with this BusConnects thing, it really is depressing just how quickly they will pander to peoples fears (yes Comac I'm talking about you - this won't make you a TD, you're using tactics that belong in 1999). I do appreciate the fear of the changeover, that peoples experience of waiting for DB is not a quick changeover but a long wait at a bus stop that does not even have a shelter (eg even major stops like Wyatville Road flyover and the Brides Glen interchange which absurdly have no shelter or timers even though they're major new stops) but we have to try SOMETHING what else can we do? Just leave it as it is? We have to try something new at some stage and hopefully tweak the bits that don't work.

What you have to understand about the politcos doing this is, while yes, some of them are too stupid to understand the plan, most of them either don't care, or are intentionally lying about it. Its a reason for them to get their nose out there and build a "profile" for themselves. Why do you think Robert Troy keeps making these really bizzare announcements like over the bus livery, saying the kind of stuff that suggests he's banged his head too hard? He does not care what he says he has people telling him to get his name out there as often as possible to build a profile. What you need to get about PR people is most of them are really terrible at PR, it's ironic but it's true, any of us who have worked in the industry know this, but politicos often think PR people have some kind of secret key to the human psyche and are geniuses who can make them the next Obama, but of course if they were that good they'd be working for Nike not advising a TD, something they, again, don't get.

The other thing is they are trapped in a time warp, many of them don't get that politics has changed massively post recession the entire game is different now, the millennial's and gen x'ers are way more informed and care way more about policy than the older generations (one of the big things about old politics you were always told was nobody cares about policy, still applies to over 50s unless the policy area affects them) - so they know more, and when you try to pander to them and use old tactics on them you just end up looking ridiculous, even many of the younger politicos don't get this as they are taking advice from the older guys thinking it's sage wisdom.

A few years ago there was a FG td, drowning in localism talking about how he'd resign if a local emergency room was closed, it was, and they asked him if he was gonna resign, he said he never promised that - out came the youtube video. They don't realize they are in a new world most of them, and the ones following this old skool way of doing things are going to get a terrible shock at conventions and elections over the next few years. You'd think Cormac would have already learned this lesson from the last general election.

Dermot O'Leary whipping up fear by spreading misinformation saying that places such as Cabra and Tallaght among others won't have any direct services because of BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Dermot O'Leary whipping up fear by spreading misinformation saying that places such as Cabra, Tyrrelstown and Tallaght among others won't have any direct services because of BusConnects.

I like the way he literally cannot conceive of a public consultation which doesn't involve him being in a backroom with the government hashing out what he really wants out of all this.

NBRU's leadership are opposing busconnects on union time while pulling down their union wages paid out of union dues. Looking at that part of your payslip must be interesting if you're a union member right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Dermot O'Leary whipping up fear by spreading misinformation saying that places such as Cabra, Tyrrelstown and Tallaght among others won't have any direct services because of BusConnects.

Well he's correct about Drimnagh

Advertisement