Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV cost savings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kceire wrote: »
    Ive a booster seat in the rear of mine for the 6 year old, and baby seat for the 2 year old and I can get someone in the middle. its a tight fit now in fairness, but it can be done easily.
    In mine there are two full size child seats, from halfords.
    I must try later to see, as I said, this has piqued my curiosity if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

We have a full size toddler seat in ours, along with two narrow booster seats. I bought them specifically for their narrowness - the standard boosters are about the right size for an adult arse, not a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

oinkely wrote: »
    We have a full size toddler seat in ours, along with two narrow booster seats. I bought them specifically for their narrowness - the standard boosters are about the right size for an adult arse, not a child!

And that's the difference right there. Some boosters are too wide and some child seats are just enormous. Christ, don't get me started on the buggies!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

goz83 wrote: »
    And that's the difference right there. Some boosters are too wide and some child seats are just enormous. Christ, don't get me started on the buggies!!!

That's a different problem right there alright!
    With my site gear and my break down kit, I just about get the stroller in, not a change when he was in that bugaboo, that thing was bigger than the car itself and filled the Merc ML boot!

No idea of the booster seat brand, I do know it has teenage mutant ninja turtles on it though, the baby seta is Britax im sure.

So I'm going to bump my own thread, as this seems to be rearing its head again

Sample bangernomics car: 2002 bmw 320d
    Monthly fuel cost: €350
    Tax: €59/month (710p.a.)
    Insurance: €64/month (800p.a.)
    Depreciation: €0
    Loan Repayments: €0

Total ICE -bangernomic - monthly cost:€473

Current EV: Hyundai Ioniq
    Monthly fuel cost: €0 (work charging + public charging
    Tax: €10/month (120p.a.)
    Insurance: €60/month (720p.a.)
    Depreciation: liberally estimated at approx €200/month from purchase price 27k, so far, as I won't get full market price for a financed car . Estimated current market price 25k optimistic
    loan repayments: €526/month

Total leaf EV monthly cost: €796

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ELM327 wrote: »

Depreciation: liberally estimated at approx €200/month from purchase price 27k, so far, as I won't get full market price for a financed car . Estimated current market price 25k optimistic

There is a slight problem with your calculation... Loan repayment is not a cost - it simply reduces both sides of your balance sheet: you have less cash and less dept. Only the loan interest is your cost.

Taking that, the figures are:

Banger: €473/month
    EV: €310/month (€270 + €40 of interest - average from 3.9% APR of €25000k).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As I said in another thread, you are mixing up cash flow and costs

Your depreciation is a cost and so is the interest you pay on your loan

Your monthly repayments are irrelevant...

I'm not mixing up cashflow with cost, at the moment I'd say theres a lot more depreciation on the supposedly depreciation free car than what I've put in as loan repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm not mixing up cashflow with cost, at the moment I'd say theres a lot more depreciation on the supposedly depreciation free car than what I've put in as loan repayments.

Yes you are.

The repayment of the loan is equally the cost as getting the loan is your profit.

grogi wrote: »
    Yes you are.

The repayment of the loan is equally the cost as getting the loan is your profit.
    So how would you calculate based on the cashflow outgoings above, a monthly cost figure? (genuine question)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I worked out my monthly outgoings in a similar way to ELM327.

I've assumed 100% depreciation in week 1, because at the end of the day, I'm paying bills not managing assets :D
    knowing my Ioniq could be sold for 22000, with 15000 outstanding will not help me pay my mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    I worked out my monthly outgoings the same way as ELM327.

I've assumed 100% depreciation in week 1, because at the end of the day, I'm paying bills not managing assets :D
    knowing my Ioniq could be sold for 22000, with 15000 outstanding will not help me pay my mortgage.

And thats prudent.

But that doesn't mean he is losing money or not saving money in owning the Ioniq at higher monthly repayments(not cost).

If he cant afford the monthly payments then of course thats a deal breaker. If I went out and bought an €80k Tesla I'd go under too.

So, the question is.... can he afford to make the payments.
    Is he saving money relative to an ICE.

At 60k km's per year I cant see how he isn't saving money. If he isn't saving money then none of us are!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Also you completely excluded servicing costs on a 16 year old 320D

that is not small.

And adding depreciation in doesnt make sense, because you are not paying depreciation so that would have no bearing on your mortgage as alluded to above...
    depreciation is not an outgoing cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

What about maintenance/servicing costs?

It can take a bit of money to keep a banger going.

So how would you calculate based on the cashflow outgoings above, a monthly cost figure? (genuine question)

I think what he means is, the loan, while a cost, creates an asset which you will still have after the loan is paid. So, the actual cost to you is the interest paid on the loan, and how the resultant asset has devalued by the time the loan is paid.

KCross wrote: »
    And thats prudent.

But that doesn't mean he is losing money or not saving money in owning the Ioniq at higher monthly repayments(not cost).

If he cant afford the monthly payments then of course thats a deal breaker. If I went out and bought an €80k Tesla I'd go under too.

So, the question is.... can he afford to make the payments.
    Is he saving money relative to an ICE.

At 60k km's per year I cant see how he isn't saving money. If he isn't saving money then none of us are!
    I can afford the payments, that's not the issue.
    The issue is how much of the 526 is for depreciation.

listermint wrote: »
    Also you completely excluded servicing costs on a 16 year old 320D

that is not small.

And adding depreciation in doesnt make sense, because you are not paying depreciation so that would have no bearing on your mortgage as alluded to above...
    depreciation is not an outgoing cost.

Servicing costs are minimal, I did all of it myself, 5l of oil and a couple of filters are not expensive.

What about maintenance/servicing costs?

It can take a bit of money to keep a banger going.
    See above, if something more expenisve goes I can always buy a different car

I think what he means is, the loan, while a cost, creates an asset which you will still have after the loan is paid. So, the actual cost to you is the interest paid on the loan, and how the resultant asset has devalued by the time the loan is paid.
    +1
    So depreciation of 2-3k in a couple of months so far, plus the 7% interest.
    Still more expensive than 350 quid of fuel and a few quid extra for tax.

Am I missing something?

+1

Am I missing something?

Hard to put a cost on an ulcer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

+1

Am I missing something?

You need a longer term view.... 2-3 months of ownership isn't enough to really determine what your depreciation costs are.

If you have truly suffered 2-3k in depreciation in a couple of months I'd say you overpaid for the car rather than saying that that is going to be your typical depreciation for the next 2-3 years

You need to ask yourself.... what do you think the car will be worth after 3yrs of ownership or whatever your normal "buy a new car" cycle is. Then use that as your cost.

I think you have been too dismissive of the maintenance costs too. Oil, filter, pads is the easy bit. What about flywheels, EGR Valves, turbos etc. Can you do those yourself?
    Just ignoring those inevitable costs and saying you'll throw the car away and buy another one isn't helping you make an apples to apples comparison because those costs are real.

+1

Am I missing something?

Yes youll have a new car and a more expensive car which actually has a value at the end.

You are presently just paying a small loan back for some money at the end (the cars value) and getting to drive for free in between.

Your maths has been incredibly flawed, you are thinking it all the wrong way and i believe multiple people have pointed that out.

But the crux of the matter is, you seemed to believe that the the value of your montly payments would be ? less?

Sell the car asap. Youve made your mind up

• Advertisement

I can afford the payments, that's not the issue.
    The issue is how much of the 526 is for depreciation.

How long are you planning to keep the car?

If you were only going to keep it for 6 months, then spending €27k on a nearly new car from a dealer was pure madness. If it is 2, 3, 4 years or more, let us know (also your interest percentage) and we'll do you up a banger vs EV TCO overview

Yes youll have a new car and a more expensive car which actually has a value at the end.

You are presently just paying a small loan back for some money at the end (the cars value) and getting to drive for free in between.

Your maths has been incredibly flawed, you are thinking it all the wrong way and i believe multiple people have pointed that out.

But the crux of the matter is, you seemed to believe that the the value of your montly payments would be ? less?

Sell the car asap. Youve made your mind up

Are you trying to help or argue (again genuine question I'm not getting the tone of what you're saying)

unkel wrote: »
    How long are you planning to keep the car?

If you were only going to keep it for 6 months, then spending €27k on a nearly new car from a dealer was pure madness. If it is 2, 3, 4 years or more, let us know (also your interest percentage) and we'll do you up a banger vs EV TCO overview

I was planning to keep it 2 years. Purchased in April 2018. So 2 years was to April 2020 which is when I guessed my model 3 would be available. I've since cancelled my model 3 reservation so I don't have anything in mind for 2020.

Are you trying to help or argue (again genuine question I'm not getting the tone of what you're saying)

I was planning to keep it 2 years. Purchased in April 2018. So 2 years was to April 2020 which is when I guessed my model 3 would be available. I've since cancelled my model 3 reservation so I don't have anything in mind for 2020.

My point is, youve done bad math up twice on the same thread. As has been pointed out to you. Youve had the card a few months, and your already ansty about it.

The repayments costs havent changed on it you knew what they were. But you want to get rid of it to reduce the costs.

So then sell it, because according to your own charge its losing money every month right now.

** dont buy Tesla 3., youll have the same cost evaluation problems albeit with higher monthlys because its a more expensive car.

My point is, youve done bad math up twice on the same thread. As has been pointed out to you. Youve had the card a few months, and your already ansty about it.

The repayments costs havent changed on it you knew what they were. But you want to get rid of it to reduce the costs.

So then sell it, because according to your own charge its losing money every month right now.

** dont buy Tesla 3., youll have the same cost evaluation problems albeit with higher monthlys because its a more expensive car.
    "bad math" then provide me with a different "math" that's better explaining to me the whole cost/depreciation vs cashflow because I'm just not getting it.
    I'm not trying to be funny here or whatever, I don't see why you are being so dismissive when others are actually trying to help.

Ok let's stick to your original plan

BMW - we'll go with your figure of €473 and budget for zero maintenance

Ioniq - we'll go with car bought for €27k, worth say €17k after 2 years. Average outstanding loan value sa €20k interest 7%, so monthly interest €115, depreciation €415. Tax + insurance €70, total €600

Not surprisingly, it is not cheap to buy a new car and change it every 2 year. Take the above figures into 3 years, be a bit more realistic about the BMW maintenance (and remember you'd have to buy one too which you conveniently forgot to mention :D), you'd have cheaper TCO with the brand new EV

Ioniq - we'll go with car bought for €27k, worth say €17k after 2 years. Average outstanding loan value sa €20k interest 7%, so monthly interest €115, depreciation €415. Tax + insurance €70, total €600

Not surprisingly, it is not cheap to buy a new car and change it every 2 year. Take the above figures into 3 years, be a bit more realistic about the BMW maintenance (and remember you'd have to buy one too which you conveniently forgot to mention :D), you'd have cheaper TCO with the brand new EV

Cannot be clearer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

EDIT - I see others got here before me while I was writing this, but I'll leave it up anyway now! Was the BMW a gift? You have no loan repayments on it now, but presumably it cost you something to buy ...? Also, you've left out maintenance, which will be close to nil on the Ioniq over the first three years of its life, and absolutely the opposite on the BMW. That's a big gap in your cost of ownership. I have a car which truly is a case of bangernomics, as it cost me a mere £380 to buy. However I knew at the time of purchase that it would cost me more than a brand new/nearly new car to keep on the road, and so it has turned out to be. The latest cost is replacement rear backplates and handbrake shoes - it's not too bad, at £140 for both sides plus £30 for new brake pads, plus probably £40 for fitting (I live in NI), but it's not nothing either. A few months ago it was the in-tank fuel pump, luckily a very cheap component at £40 plus £30 to fit, but the inconvenience & stress was a bigger factor there as the initial signs of failure manifested themselves about 100 miles from home en route to a weekend away. That was just a month after getting a full set of tyres. A couple of months before that, it was rear suspension arms at £190 to buy the pair plus another £80 to fit them. About this time last year I spent over £300 on a new exhaust. Yes, some of those items will last the remaining lifetime of the car, but cheap cars are only cheap at the time of acquistion. Over the past year, I reckon I've spend close to a grand in various increments on maintaining that car of mine. And a lot of that is with mate's rates on the labour. If I try to sell it with a long MOT I might get £700, or I might get no bites at all and end up paying to scrap it. If/when you sell your Ioniq, you'll recoup far more of the car's value than if you were offloading a similarly aged ICE. Years ago, I bought a new Renault Clio for something like £11500, then had to sell it a year later after a change of work meant a big increase in commuting distance - I got just over £6500 for it. With your 320d, the turbo will need to be replaced if it hasn't already been, as they are prone to blades breaking off and being sucked into the engine, necessitating a new engine. Up here, you'd be lucky to get away with less than £200 to replace that turbo. New injectors will likely be needed, at £80 minimum to buy a reconditioned set plus labour to swap them out. I don't think there's a DPF on that engine, but plenty of diesels do have them and replacing a failed one is a massive expense. A failure of any clutch components on my car will set me back at least £600 as the whole lot will have to be replaced - e.g. if the master cylinder goes, the slave will follow, and that's located inside the gearbox bellhousing, meaning that the clutchplate itself could end up contaminated with hydraulic fluid. To me, it's still worth keeping my car as I can't afford a new car anyway, and I could spend four or five grand buying a newer used car and still encounter the same sort of expenses. But I'm under no illusions about the total cost of running it, and I'm very much looking forward to being able to buy a 4-5 year old Niro EV. EDIT 2 - apologies for the block of text, can't seem to split it into paragraphs ...

Hard to put a cost on an ulcer :D
    what?

That's very helpful, thanks.
    Shows that I have €127 per month in the difference to cover maintenance on an older car.
    Going to have to see if playing the long game (ie keeping the Ioniq to 3 years and probably 150k km on the clock at that stage) is better.
    Will have a nice single malt later and see what I will do. I'd intended postponing any decision until I return from holiday at the start of October.

what?

That's very helpful, thanks.
    Shows that I have €127 per month in the difference to cover maintenance on an older car.
    Going to have to see if playing the long game (ie keeping the Ioniq to 3 years and probably 150k km on the clock at that stage) is better.
    Will have a nice single malt later and see what I will do. I'd intended postponing any decision until I return from holiday at the start of October.

I can recommend method and madness single malt from Midleton. Fantastic stuff.

but thats for another thread

• Advertisement

Which just about pays for buying the car, (let's say €800 - good luck with the longevity of that :D) and buying oil and a filter and paying for your NCT + retest and very little else.

Indeed, make no hasty decision about what you do. And if you don't mind me asking, what figures were you expecting when you bought your Ioniq? With a loan (the interest on the loan is a very significant monthly cost)

Advertisement