Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you agree to this 'voluntary contribution' the schools ask for?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Was thinking more secondary school :p

yeah - so was i haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

What about children being sent to collect money in the residential areas door to door?
    Isn't begging illegal here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

you'd be surprised then what the right amount of pressure and threat of 'not getting in next time' can play a part in changing governments minds and the way they do things

That's fine, by all means actively campaign for it... but, in the mean time don't use it as an 'principle' for not paying in the current year.

na1 wrote: »
    What about children being sent to collect money in the residential areas door to door?
    Isn't begging illegal here?

what for voluntary contributions for schools .. do they really!

never seen that in my area to be honest - they would have to dodge the other door to door beggars asking for " donation for so and so teacher retiring" and "can you sponsor me for this" and "i'm selling electric in the area, can i ask who you are with at the moment" ... and others

That's fine, by all means actively campaign for it... but, in the mean time don't use it as an 'principle' for not paying in the current year.

ah dont forget there are an awful lot of people out there who havent got the luxury and finaciality of deciding to pay it or sticking to their principals and not paying out .

so expensive when kids go back to school, if it was only a matter of paying a voluntary contribution and that was the end of it - glad mine are all grown up now .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

ah dont forget there are an awful lot of people out there who havent got the luxury and finaciality of deciding to pay it or sticking to their principals and not paying out .

so expensive when kids go back to school, if it was only a matter of paying a voluntary contribution and that was the end of it - glad mine are all grown up now .

It's the people that can pay that are possibly more vocal. "The government (which is actually the tax payer) should pay" type.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think uniforms are important for the security of the school and safety of everyone inside.

I've heard some crazy justifications for this, but that's definitely the craziest one yet, which is some sort of achievement I suppose. Have half a star.

I suppose that means the teachers should have uniforms too?

Life ain't always empty.

Having a uniform made things a lot easier.

Easier for who though?

Hardly for the parents who have to buy specific school clothes as well as normal clothes. Especially if they're crested and at complete rip-off prices. Even worse if they have a girl and a boy going to different schools so can't hand down jumpers etc.

The two tossers you mentioned above, their parents are worse. Morons will be morons and even with uniforms there are things like shoes, bags, phones, which then become the new thing for tossers to get obsessed about.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Easier for who though?

Hardly for the parents who have to buy specific school clothes as well as normal clothes. Especially if they're crested and at complete rip-off prices. Even worse if they have a girl and a boy going to different schools so can't hand down jumpers etc.

The two tossers you mentioned above, their parents are worse. Morons will be morons and even with uniforms there are things like shoes, bags, phones, which then become the new thing for tossers to get obsessed about.

As I said I went to a school that had no uniform for junior and senior infants. Parents campaigned for a uniform /tracksuit just after i left it. They got sick of the hassle of having to have loads of clothes for school instead of just throwing a uniform on and they agreed to a crested one.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Easier for who though?

I find the uniform easier, I'd say most parents would rather than having ructions in the morning because they wanted to wear X t-shirt and it's in the laundry.

But basic uniforms mind. None of this crested nonsense. Our School has a two-colour uniform and while you can buy a sweatshirt with the logo on it, you can also opt for a generic v-neck jumper or cardigan in the school colour and the rest of it is generic enough that you can buy it where you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Crested stuff cost me around 100 Euro for a jumper, cardigan and two sweatshirts. I could also buy non crested stuff and get them to stitch the crest, school also allows no crest but they would be probably the only ones in the school. Anyway I don't think there would be that much of a difference in price. School trousers, shirts, t-shirts and dresses are cheap in comparison to jeans, hoodies and similar. The cost of clothing ours for school is relatively reasonable, the problem for most people is that it's all in one go. I think the uniform has a lot of pluses, epecially in countries where temperatures during the year don't change that much. When you have to shop for seasonal clothing not needing to buy uniforms would be probably cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The school I worked in surveyed parents about the uniform as required by the Minister. Teachers had been pushing for a switch to generic jumpers to reduce costs. The expectation was that we would get lots of complaints about expenses. Instead they demanded a blazer in addition to the crested jumper, a new jumper colour, and a crested tracksuit. They also asked for a strict black shoes only policy where we had no rules about footwear at all. And ties for boys and girls when we had none at all.The reasons given were all about appearances, no concerns about costs. It's a DEIS school in one of the most disadvantaged areas of the country.

The local Educate Together secondary didn't intend to have a uniform as is the norm in their primary schools but parents insisted on one. Fashion shows and all were held to choose it. They chose a traditional uniform with a crested jumper in an unusual colour.

"A person is smart. People are stupid"

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ve must crush individuality! CRUSH!!!

I think uniforms and single-sex schooling are both completely mental.

smart uniforms i think a necessity - following the schools colours , but hey if they bloody come from penneys or dunnes what is the harm like!

I have never got same sex schools .. especially in this modern day society - what is it so the pupils focus on the school subjects rather than the opposite sex is it? :) - is that what they exist for?
    Single sex schools outperform mixed sex in every country they co exist. Both in terms of attainment and regression to 3rd level. Tons of peer reviewed research to back it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Single sex schools outperform mixed sex in every country they co exist. Both in terms of attainment and regression to 3rd level. Tons of peer reviewed research to back it up.

I thought girls did better in single and boys did better in mixed. That's a vague recollection

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

you'd be surprised then what the right amount of pressure and threat of 'not getting in next time' can play a part in changing governments minds and the way they do things
    This is why we’re crap at long team thinking and getting problems solved. Pandering to the immediate irritation of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In relation to the point about no uniforms being a better solution, I'd disagree. Its not just about arguing over what outfit the child wants to wear, it also leads to crazy competition within schools over the course of 5 days. And if you think there isn't competition, well more fool you. Apart from the inevitable footwear, at least a uniform grounds things to a degree.

Does it take into consideration private vs public schools, religious ethos and so on. Also do any of studies take into account social development.

meeeeh wrote: »

Does it take into consideration private vs public schools, religious ethos and so on. Also do any of studies take into account social development.
    Single sex is almost intrinsically linked to religious ethos. In most countries this means private school, but it also applies to Ireland, where many of the top performing schools are public and single sex. Unfortunately no country in the world matriculates to 3rd level using social development.

Single sex is almost intrinsically linked to religious ethos. In most countries this means private school, but it also applies to Ireland, where many of the top performing schools are public and single sex. Unfortunately no country in the world matriculates to 3rd level using social development.
    No but it is important for happy life. It's also completely bogus to compare private schools to public schools and say the difference is the gender policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez are we really doing the School Uniform debate.... again!!! It's like 1st years introduction to debating in english class again.... and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

screamer wrote: »
    Course they do....they write them for the greedy book publishers.... (For a nice fee I'd bet). What I am saying is that these books should be written for and published by the education department and done at a more nominal cost. With every child in every year having the same books the price would dramatically decrease.

Not sure why you are calling the publishers greedy. They are private businesses, the dept of education are perfectly capable of hiring people to write books if they want to and making them the standard text for all schools and choose not to. In the absence of department published texts of course private publishers are going to step in.

There is a problem here in that those who make decisions about choosing books are not the ones paying the bill at the end of the day. Teachers need to pay more attention to cost, and indeed weight of books when making those choices.

Some textbooks are better than others. Do you want your child to have the cheap but poor quality textbook or the slightly more expensive one, with all the information that is required for their course, laid out in a suitable manner?
    I suppose in the past , teachers have been viewed as one of the most decent upstanding pillars of society and wouldn't dream of absconding it and using it for any other purpose than its intended purpose saying "thank you for your contribution, I will look after that envelope of 250euro and make sure it goes to the correct place" :D

I don't know any teachers responsible for collecting school contributions. Parents pay contributions to the school secretary.
    The school I worked in surveyed parents about the uniform as required by the Minister. Teachers had been pushing for a switch to generic jumpers to reduce costs. The expectation was that we would get lots of complaints about expenses. Instead they demanded a blazer in addition to the crested jumper, a new jumper colour, and a crested tracksuit. They also asked for a strict black shoes only policy where we had no rules about footwear at all. And ties for boys and girls when we had none at all.The reasons given were all about appearances, no concerns about costs. It's a DEIS school in one of the most disadvantaged areas of the country.

The local Educate Together secondary didn't intend to have a uniform as is the norm in their primary schools but parents insisted on one. Fashion shows and all were held to choose it. They chose a traditional uniform with a crested jumper in an unusual colour.

Same as. Parents and students were surveyed in the school I work in and overwhelmingly voted to keep the crested uniform. Parents want less hassle and rows about clothes. They don't want their kids whinging about what to wear in the morning and their kids don't want to have to compete with other kids in school. And what is alluded to above, it is a status symbol for some, the uniform identifies what school you choose to send your child to, for whatever reasons, be that the fee paying school where you've dropped €5k a year to send them there, or the local convent/CBS which would be considered a cut above the local vocational school by many.

Some parts of the uniform might be expensive but kids are wearing them 5 days a week for nine months of the year. They get more wear out of those clothes more than anything else they own. I never hear parents complain about the cost of premier league football jerseys that change every season.

meeeeh wrote: »
    No but it is important for happy life. It's also completely bogus to compare private schools to public schools and say the difference is the gender policy.
    Yet the top single sex public schools out perform private mixed schools. I would have thought a good education was more highly correlated to a happy life, than social development.

Yet the top single sex public schools out perform private mixed schools. I would have thought a good education was more highly correlated to a happy life, than social development.

I would like to see the overwhelming evidence that you claim there is. I tried to Google and mostly found inconclusive stuff with trend for less and less single sex schools.

you know when you deprive say kids from drinking any alcohol whn they are young teenagers and then they have their first legal drink and go over the top and cannot handle their drink and puke up and get leary .... this is what I purport single sex schools to be like lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In relation to the point about no uniforms being a better solution, I'd disagree. Its not just about arguing over what outfit the child wants to wear, it also leads to crazy competition within schools over the course of 5 days. And if you think there isn't competition, well more fool you. Apart from the inevitable footwear, at least a uniform grounds things to a degree.

Thing is, how many character building tough experiences should we strive to spare our children ?

It's just another milestone we're delaying until their young adult years/20s, and then we wonder why that particular age group is worryingly juvenile and messed up.

I grew up in France with no uniform, and I survived.

Thing is, how many character building tough experiences should we strive to spare our children ?

It's just another milestone we're delaying until their young adult years/20s, and then we wonder why that particular age group is worryingly juvenile and messed up.

I grew up in France with no uniform, and I survived.

did you used to go to school on a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

did you used to go to school on a Saturday?

Yeah :(

All primary school, and then in secondary school. Some years in secondary school were a bit easier, where you might only have a double of something on a Saturday morning. Some years were like fecking torture, like double maths, then double history or something on a Saturday morning.

And double was twice 60 minutes, not 40 !

But we had the Wednesday off (full in primary, afternoon in secondary), and gaps in the timetable during the week, so you could be starting at 10 am some days, or finishing at 3pm. (instead of 4 or 5 pm)

Yeah :(

All primary school, and then in secondary school. Some years in secondary school were a bit easier, where you might only have a double of something on a Saturday morning. Some years were like fecking torture, like double maths, then double history or something on a Saturday morning.

And double was twice 60 minutes, not 40 !

But we had the Wednesday off (full in primary, afternoon in secondary), and gaps in the timetable during the week, so you could be starting at 10 am some days, or finishing at 3pm. (instead of 4 or 5 pm)

ah right thank - i though it was saturday school for french kids - i didnt know about the other bits though.

could you imagine if the kids had to go to school on saturdays over here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Voluntary contribution in one of Our local secondary school in Dublin is a very hefty €600 Per child (not per family). Seemingly a lot of this goes on heating the school. Would love to know the percentsge of parents who pay this - have never seen the accounts to calculate. Add to that an expensive, crested uniform including coat, books, money for photocopying, lockers etc and it works out very Expemsive. Seems to be large discrepancy on voluntary contribution amounts between schools.

Advertisement