Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

billyhead wrote: »
    Look I said the Pope will hopefully reform the CC and assist the authorities bring those whom abused children to justice. Just see what happens and get on with your life rather then continuously spouting venomous spiel (we get the message) about the churches failings. You should try to have bit of faith or belief yourself (obviously in your case not following the CC). It might make you a happier person.

Hopefully reform??? After what they did and continue to do, there should be more than bloody hope. I am not sure you give a toss what they did.

No you and the Vatican do not get the message. Chile and Pennsylvania are proof of that.

Francis missed the memo about the 800 Tuam babies or the Magdelene laundries. Or did he?

All secrecy, the odd forced apology and Zero Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You claimed it was quicker to get to Rome rather than Dublin from down the country, that's some far out nonsense tbh.

Lets say just over an hour and a half to get to Dublin, it would take the ame to get home - this dependent on traffic being ok.
    One can be in a foreign country in a shorter period, so after a day out which includes the airport, it is nicer going to a hotel in lets say Rome after a day out than having to make the trip back home from a day out in Dublin.
    Maybe you avoid travel due to all the complaints you have aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

RobertKK wrote: »
    Lets say just over an hour and a half to get to Dublin, it would take the ame to get home - this dependent on traffic being ok.
    One can be in a foreign country in a shorter period, so after a day out which includes the airport, it is nicer going to a hotel in lets say Rome after a day out than having to make the trip back home from a day out in Dublin.

FFS. You were once a fantastic poster on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

RobertKK wrote: »

Nah. 3hr+ flight to Rome and 40 min into city centre. Not including faffing around getting to the airport here and after landing in Rome.

Your comment was full of crap. Just admit it and get it over with :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

RobertKK wrote:
    Lets say just over an hour and a half to get to Dublin, it would take the ame to get home - this dependent on traffic being ok. One can be in a foreign country in a shorter period, so after a day out which includes the airport, it is nicer going to a hotel in lets say Rome after a day out than having to make the trip back home from a day out in Dublin. Maybe you avoid travel due to all the complaints you have aired.

Seriously, you are making a fool of yourself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.thedailybeast.com/romes-new-open-air-markets-for-sex

Rome’s New Open-Air Markets for Sex

There are prostitutes all over Italy, many of them trafficked women and girls. Now there may be special districts in the capital set aside for their activities.

Italy’s most famous john, though, is former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who was convicted for abetting underage prostitution in the infamous “Ruby Heart-Stealer” scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Trasna1 wrote: »
    You really can't absolve society like that, everyone knew but no one did anything because it didn't suit Irish society at the time. And it doesn't suit Irish society now to acknowledge it's own failings because you'll end up pointing the finger at complicit parents and grandparents. You really don't think people didn't know who was doing the laundry when the sheets and tablecloths were dropped off at these institutions?

The churches abuses did not exist in a vacuum. People at the time knew right from wrong, they just didn't care or think these people important. It wasn't the church that made them ignore the abuses, they did that themselves.

The society at the time carries a certain culpability for that.
    Are you saying that society as a whole knew that priests were raping children, and that all the shock when the first reports were published were all a pretence?

Or are you, as it seems to me, picking just the physical abuse, and conflating everything else into that?

Could you tell us what responsibility you think Irish society as a whole has for the sexual abuse carried out by priests, and covered up by their hierarchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Trasna1 wrote: »
    The saying goes that there are no atheists in foxholes I believe.

Yes. It's not true though.

http://militaryatheists.org/

https://ffrf.org/outreach/atheists-in-foxholes

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Did she? How do you know?

Her function was to welcome a guest on behalf of the goverment, not attack him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

yrreg0850 wrote: »

The Tuam scandal is something the church very much so deserve to be attacked on(doesn't seem like an attack btw). Consider the fact that Corless was attacked by numerous pieces of Catholic media including smear campaigns against her findings. Get your priorities in order.

• Advertisement

Attack???

• Registered Users Posts: 66,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She didn't attack him, she didn't give him any deference I think you mean. Which seems to annoy Roman Catholics. But as you said, he was there in his capacity of head of state.

Personally, it sickens me that hundreds of children can be cast into a septic tank, discarded like rubbish and it doesn't instantly land on to the desk of the boss of the organisation responsible, immediately.

What is going on when that doesn't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

[QUOTE=Personally, it sickens me that hundreds of children can be cast into a septic tank, discarded like rubbish and it doesn't instantly land on to the desk of the boss of the organisation responsible, immediately.
    What is going on when that doesn't happen?[/QUOTE]

The state at the time was just as much to blame.

And the state is being held to account for it's part in it.

Stop trying to deflect from the main culprits.

Who systematically raped children along with many other her crimeS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Letter to the editor in today's Examiner (hope I attached it correctly)

JeffKenna wrote: »

Headline is enough. Sounds like the sae crap people have being belting out here louder than they’d sing the national anthem before a match. How am I to blame when I was only a child?

Headline is enough. Sounds like the sae crap people have being belting out here louder than they’d sing the national anthem before a match. How am I to blame when I was only a child?

No one said you were. However your family were.

And if they knew nothing of it because they were good catholics?

Is it too much to ask for those responsive to accept that they were responsible?

If I broke a window I’d confess to the owner.

And if they knew nothing of it because they were good catholics?

Is it too much to ask for those responsive to accept that they were responsible?

If I broke a window I’d confess to the owner.

What if you saw a window being broke and just walked by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well said. Not to excuse the church of course. But handy to deflect everything on to them and ignore the wider responsibilities.

What if you saw a window being broke and just walked by?

I’ve reported crimes I’ve witnessed to the guards before. I’d consider myself quite decent like that. I wouldn’t like my window broken and so treat others as I’d like to be treated. Isn’t that in the bible...something about do onto others...?

I’ve reported crimes I’ve witnessed to the guards before. I’d consider myself quite decent like that. I wouldn’t like my window broken and so treat others as I’d like to be treated. Isn’t that in the bible...something about do onto others...?

Exactly...I think that's the point being made. It was widely known what happened in mother and care homes at the time. We have to look at ourselves for letting it happen as opposed to blaming everything on the church (naturally they have significant blame to take).

Yes, we all know this. There were not enough brave people willing to risk poverty and ostracisation at the direction of the 'parish priest' or 'bishop' who had so much power that men knelt in the gutter in some communities when the PP walked by. (think about that)

I am not going to be lectured by a member of a congregration that routinely lie about their committment to their faith and the rules of that faith.

Exactly...I think that's the point being made. It was widely known what happened in mother and care homes at the time. We have to look at ourselves for letting it happen as opposed to blaming everything on the church (naturally they have significant blame to take).

I’m not so sure. Just because you have suspicions of something happening behind closed doors does not make it true. In order to take any you would have to know for definite. Did everyone know for definite? I was in my mid teens when the last Magdalene laundry closed. I wasn’t aware of it being open or even closing at the time. How many knew what was going on? Possibly a tiny percentage of the population who were Roman Catholics? Why didn’t they report? That has been discussed here a number of times already.

The letter reads like someone feeling guilt now for what they knew at the time but still refuse to blame the real culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Carsanal

No I wouldn't be bothered going

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Believers and RC members off you go to Mass and believe, that is your right.

Does anyone go to the Sodality, or the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament anymore? Tantum Ergo and incense anyone? God I remember the smell of that stuff, swung by a fella in white lace top.

Confession.....Imagine telling a fella in a frock behind a grille what you did wrong, when he represents an organisation that was just pure evil and angry and controlling. Not much Christianity there, but a lot of RC rules just the same. Perpetuated to this day.

Some of us, well many of us have had enough now. Evidence is there. There is really no argument left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Carsanal wrote: »
    No I wouldn't be bothered going
    When's it on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Well said. Not to excuse the church of course. But handy to deflect everything on to them and ignore the wider responsibilities.

Bishop Brady when he was an ordinary priest swore two young boys to secrecy which in turn allowed Fr Brendan Smyth to carry on abusing other children, if the state is responsible sure there was no need for Brady to swear these children to secrecy. See how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Carsanal

Car99 wrote: »
    When's it on ?

Was it not last weekend there gone no?
    Or this weekend?

Advertisement