Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer toilets

Options
  • 26-08-2018 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭

time long overdue to look at supplying decent customer toilets in shops/cafe's and everything throughout Ireland and its got to be done at a government official level. I want to see decent toilets at every place that relies on customers shopping of visiting that establishments. - I want it so that anywhere that has general public on the premises, by law have to have adequate washroom facilities or at a minimum 2 or 3 toilets by law . 1 Disabled and then one mixed men/women or separate men and ladies washroom. Clean, properly maintained, stocked with soap and working dryer and flushing toilets and proper ventilation - and that these places where public shop or eat in if they have not got sufficient amenities that they can face close down of the premises! (yes may be OTT but its time to get tough)

What prompted me to write this today particularly , well my experience today of shopping in carrick on shannon - first of all shopping in woodies DIY - well couldnt see customer toilets there at all busting for a pee , so I didnt stay as long as I would looking around there and thought well I have to get some bits in Tesco so I will use their toilet(s) - big sign in Tesco's "Customer Toilets" - ah good 1 toilet ... 1 bloody customer toilet for the whole store! so that one toilet sufficed Disabled/Men & Women in that one toilet. Needless to say there was a queue outside of men woman and children waiting to use that 1 toilet! (good job there wasnt a disabled person in a wheelchair wanting to use it) so i waited and unfortunately the person before me had a massive Shíte and it really stunk the fecking toilet out - no windows in the toilet , no natural ventilation and I am pretty sure the ceiling fan wast working either so trying not to gag with the smell I done my deed and walked out (wondering if the next person to go in most probably thought I left that smell behind)

But they are not the only offenders. There are loads of places I have been in Ireland that have not had sufficient customer toilets ranging from petrol stations to cafes, to other big stores - either not enough facilities (or none at all for the customers) or filthy or unworking equipment (urinalss or flushing toilets and non working taps) or no soap etc.

i wonder if there is any requirements at all in place (if any) requiring premises that have public on the premises must provide clean working sufficient toilets for their customers by law over here in Ireland - or whether its left up to the companies themselves if they wish to supply toilets for their customers?

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭KevRossi

There's a customers toilet in the Woodies. Just inside the door. If you had spent time asking staff instead of writing that OP you would have had no bother.

The Shannon flows right behind the shopping centre so you could have had a plss in that too.

I had this very thought during the week when I visited a local tourist spot (a castle). There is hourly tours of the place and they were quite busy, but there is only 1 port-a-loo on the whole site, and this is situated right beside where you have to pay to enter.

The staff also use it, because while I was waiting in the car, a lady in medi-evil period dress appeared from the port-a-loo. No privacy, totally inadequate toilet facilities for such a busy place. There were over 200 visitors the day before according to one of the staff.

Also, there is no light in the thing, so when you close the door you are in total darkness. When a child has to use it you would have to stand there waiting with the door half ajar.

Maybe the idea is that the toilets are in keeping with the medi evil theme of the castle, and it is part of the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Can't say I agree with the requirements as you have laid out for every retailer. I can think of plenty of shop premises where if they were to provide what you are asking for, they would lose say 30% of their retail space, which is just not practical.

As far as I'm aware, anywhere with seating for on-premise consumption of food or drink is required to provide toilet facilities already (and I agree with this), but why should random newsagents be expected to operate a public toilet, which is what your blanket suggestion proposes??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

KevRossi wrote: »
    There's a customers toilet in the Woodies. Just inside the door. If you had spent time asking staff instead of writing that OP you would have had no bother.

The Shannon flows right behind the shopping centre so you could have had a plss in that too.

well thank you - i will know for next time then at least. i must be a blind as a bat i didnt see it

cython wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with the requirements as you have laid out for every retailer. I can think of plenty of shop premises where if they were to provide what you are asking for, they would lose say 30% of their retail space, which is just not practical.

true - didnt really think of that ... yes supplying toilets would take up a certain amount of retail space. very good for thinking that
    cython wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, anywhere with seating for on-premise consumption of food or drink is required to provide toilet facilities already (and I agree with this), but why should random newsagents be expected to operate a public toilet, which is what your blanket suggestion proposes??

well - blanket suggestion it may be but you know within reason. Im not as silly to think that every establishment that has customers passing through its doors should have full blown customer toilets. But i think most will realise what places I am talking about that should have facilities by law ... and even ones that should supply them even though they are not required by law to supply them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

true - didnt really think of that ... yes supplying toilets would take up a certain amount of retail space. very good for thinking that

well - blanket suggestion it may be but you know within reason. Im not as silly to think that every establishment that has customers passing through its doors should have full blown customer toilets. But i think most will realise what places I am talking about that should have facilities by law ... and even ones that should supply them even though they are not required by law to supply them

... That's exactly what you suggested in your opening post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I wouldn't agree with this not every shop needs toilets. I agree there needs to be more public toilets but having toilets in every shop is unesscary and ott especially in smaller shops. It's completely unesscary in shopping centres also which already have public toilets. Perhaps you could make it law that any shop above xxxxx sq metres must have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They removed most of the public toilets around the place sometime probably the 90s.

Since then people have to use commercial premises which don't have the resources to provide toilets for non customers.

Is it any better anywhere else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

there is only 1 port-a-loo on the whole site, and this is situated right beside where you have to pay to enter.

Also, there is no light in the thing, so when you close the door you are in total darkness. When a child has to use it you would have to stand there waiting with the door half ajar.
    IIRC porta loos have a translucent roof to let light in and most people today have lights on their phones.

Or carry a few imodium with you in case you get caught short.

Or bring back public toilets with attendants who have the powers and means to keep out the scumbags who aren't toilet trained.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    ... That's exactly what you suggested in your opening post.

with my posts they are so over the place and whacky you got to not pick them to pieces and anylize them so much but just get the jist of what I am saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Speaking of customer/public toilets... TOILET PAPER THAT DOESN'T FEEL AS COURSE AS SAND PAPER PLEASE!!!

I have a sensitive bum :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

with my posts they are so over the place and whacky you got to not pick them to pieces and anylize them so much but just get the jist of what I am saying :)

But that was the jist of it

jaxxx wrote: »
    Speaking of customer/public toilets... TOILET PAPER THAT DOESN'T FEEL AS COURSE AS SAND PAPER PLEASE!!!

I have a sensitive bum :o

when i were growing up in the UK the council public toilets in the towns and cities had that Izal square sheet toilet paper - it was like tracing paper ... with the texture of wiping your ass with paper as well.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this not every shop needs toilets. I agree there needs to be more public toilets but having toilets in every shop is unesscary and ott especially in smaller shops. It's completely unesscary in shopping centres also which already have public toilets. Perhaps you could make it law that any shop above xxxxx sq metres must have them.

thats a good idea - that along with large supermarkets, petrol stations, cafes and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In my local Tesco we've one toilet and I don't think I've ever had to queue.
    Apart from retail space being valuable I think it's
    a big reason why shops dont put in lots of toilets is because people don't look after/respect them.
    I think a law stating that a shop would need a certain amount of toilets wouldn't be great in some ways.
    Take for instance small cafe/shops needing three toilets.
    Another would be a Tesco in a large town would require the same amount of toilets as a small place.

In my local Tesco we've one toilet and I don't think I've ever had to queue.
    Apart from retail space being valuable I think it's
    a big reason why shops dont put in lots of toilets is because people don't look after/respect them.
    I think a law stating that a shop would need a certain amount of toilets wouldn't be great in some ways.
    Take for instance small cafe/shops needing three toilets.
    Another would be a Tesco in a large town would require the same amount of toilets as a small place.

see I think that is a good idea - and at least anyone thinking of starting up an eating establishment where people eat in can factor in that the least amount of toilets they will require by law is 3 (1 Disabled/1man/ 1ladies toilet) and then it will be beneficial to the customers .

even if they kept them locked and just give key to customers (or a code) to unlock it, it would stop all and sundry going in and wrecking them - at least the facilities would be there.

I sometimes think some establishments dont put them in also because of apathy (and cannot be bothered keeping them clean) ... I dunno maybe they dont want to get sued by people slipping up on wet floors too or burning themselves with scalding water from the hot tap .. or squirting soap into their eyes. - Remember reading years ago about a 15 year old boy being awarded 15,000 euro because he squirted soap in his eyes whilst in a cafe's toilet.

see I think that is a good idea - and at least anyone thinking of starting up an eating establishment where people eat in can factor in that the least amount of toilets they will require by law is 3 (1 Disabled/1man/ 1ladies toilet) and then it will be beneficial to the customers .

even if they kept them locked and just give key to customers (or a code) to unlock it, it would stop all and sundry going in and wrecking them - at least the facilities would be there.

I sometimes think some establishments dont put them in also because of apathy (and cannot be bothered keeping them clean) ... I dunno maybe they dont want to get sued by people slipping up on wet floors too or burning themselves with scalding water from the hot tap .. or squirting soap into their eyes. - Remember reading years ago about a 15 year old boy being awarded 15,000 euro because he squirted soap in his eyes whilst in a cafe's toilet.

I could see your three toilet rule causing hassle in the future to be honest.
    Regarding people changing gender/etc. If everybody was required a toilet.
    I am just think of of a lot of little cafes and they simply wouldn't have the room for all the toilets and they'd have to sacrifice tables/seats for them. I known in my town you'd have trouble getting a seat in a cafe but never have trouble waiting for the toilet.
    The key/code rule isn't always effective in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think andy is right.
    there is a huge shortage of toilets around shops.
    areas like childers road in limerick where maplin used to be has no public toilets. there are toilets in dunnes and the range but none for the complex.
    same goes for where tk max is. 6-10 shops and no toilets. toilets in homebase

loads of hardware and bulders merchents dont have toilets .

not every shop needs a customer toilet but there should be one by law in every area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres no need for every shop to have toilets,
    there could be a rule shops over x size must have a toilet.
    Large stores like pennys ec have toilets.
    Look at mary street ,
    theres hardware shops, cafes , clothes shops.
    Say theres 20 Shops there ,theres no need for 20 toilets.
    All shopping centres ,fast food outlets like mcdonalds have toilets.
    Theres small cafes, where theres not space for 3 toilets.
    Small shops ,cafes have to pay rent,insurance ,wages ,
    they have to make a profit too.
    3 toilets seems excessive for a small cafe.
    Tesco .aldi,etc most supermarkets dont have toilets.
    I see no great shortage of toilets .
    I presume they removed public toilets because junkies were using them,
    or they were expensive to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You forgot that you wouldn't want the prices to rise to pay for these new facilities.

It's not shops jobs to provide toilets for the public. If they want to, that's fine. Restaurants, that's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

thats a good idea - that along with large supermarkets, petrol stations, cafes and the like

Not all petrol stations need toilets. Smaller petrol station with small shops or sometimes no shop at all don't need them. Petrol stations on main roads should have them and most do to be fair. Eg. My local garage is only small and has two pump bays and a small shop which sells basic items like milk, bread, car items, small selection of sweets, cigarettes, coffee and newspapers. It doesn't have a deli or seating so there's no real need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not apathy but health and safety. Human waste is a bio hazard and do you think that the staff in a cafe or hardware store should have to clean the public toilets? People don't respect stuff in this country so they will be a bio hazard for the staff to clean.

Public toilets are a public issue not a private one. So much like the government stopped building housing and we have the rental crisis they stopped providing public toilets and we now have a shortage of public toilets. The companies pay enough in rates, taxes, water etc so the council should provide public toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Shopping centres all have toilets, Mc Donalds have them, big hardware shops like Woodies, Aldi and Lidl - ( you only have to ask for access - no problem), TK Maxx has toilets, motorway service stations, all libraries, Supervalu, I make a point of knowing where the loos are, for my own embarrassing health reasons, I can't afford not to know!

If you're at an outdoors event - expect portaloos, carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket (aldi or lidl have them, about 80 cents - usually near the till) along with a small pack of tissues.

Out and about if you can't find them, ask the staff in a big store, a simple "Excuse me, where is the nearest toilet?" Works wonders.

im not sure we should be viewing places having toilets as Public toilets for the area. I think the shops that have their own toilets should be for the own customers use and not viewed as a public convenience for the area ... and that public convieniences in towns should be supplied by the councils and maintained by council workers or sub contracted to 3rd party cleaning firms.

but reading some of the comments it does indeed seem some people use the establishments toilets as public toilets .. which in an ideal world as I say the council should be supplying toilets in every town and city across Ireland .

And shoppers to that town should vote with their feet and only shop in towns that have a public (clean and fully maintained) toilet block and make their voices and opinions heard "if you (the council) dont supply a public toilet we are going to shop in towns that do have a public toilet" - this might make them change their minds. If the council want to recuperate the money for the building and maintenance of the toilet block they place in a town/ city (could be situated in a car park for example) then maybe they could charge the public a nominal fee to enter. if its manned by a council worker/toilet attendant keeping it clean and taking the money the toilets I think would be less likely to be vandalised

im not sure we should be viewing places having toilets as Public toilets for the area. I think the shops that have their own toilets should be for the own customers use and not viewed as a public convenience for the area ... and that public convieniences in towns should be supplied by the councils and maintained by council workers or sub contracted to 3rd party cleaning firms.

but reading some of the comments it does indeed seem some people use the establishments toilets as public toilets .. which in an ideal world as I say the council should be supplying toilets in every town and city across Ireland .

And shoppers to that town should vote with their feet and only shop in towns that have a public (clean and fully maintained) toilet block and make their voices and opinions heard "if you (the council) dont supply a public toilet we are going to shop in towns that do have a public toilet" - this might make them change their minds. If the council want to recuperate the money for the building and maintenance of the toilet block they place in a town/ city (could be situated in a car park for example) then maybe they could charge the public a nominal fee to enter. if its manned by a council worker/toilet attendant keeping it clean and taking the money the toilets I think would be less likely to be vandalised

Doesn't most town already have one of those super loo's that cleans it's after ever use or something.
    What hours would you like this toilet block to opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Doesn't most town already have one of those super loo's that cleans it's after ever use or something.

Those superloos were a terrible idea. They were installed to replace the old council toilet blocks in the 90's and are heammoraging the council's finances ever since. The old toilet blocks weren't fit for purpose - but most municipal councils regret getting these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

In Amsterdam, as far as I know, restaurants rent out their toilets and charge 50 cent a go. Perhaps they could do that here.

normal shop opening hours?

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Those superloos were a terrible idea. They were installed to replace the old council toilet blocks in the 90's and are heammoraging the council's finances ever since. The old toilet blocks weren't fit for purpose - but most municipal councils regret getting these.

yeah terrible idea those so called superloos.

I have been in quite a good few public run council loos (not here in ireland, cant even think where I have seen any for quite a while now.. oh tell a lie - I think i see a block today down at the river in Carrick on shannon .. I think that was a council run toilet block if I am not mistaken)

• Advertisement

poisonated wrote: »
    In Amsterdam, as far as I know, restaurants rent out their toilets and charge 50 cent a go. Perhaps they could do that here.

rent out the toilets to whom? - the council?

Advertisement