Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

dense wrote: »
    rosalily wrote: »
    From reading the recent stories in the media about Deirdre Jacob and the other missing women, along with the posts on this thread, I can't begin to imagine the nightmare their families have had to live through.

One thing that stands out to me is the false information given, maliciously or otherwise, to the guards or the families. How anyone could come forward with rubbish claims, wasting Garda resources and falsely raising the hopes of the families is beyond me, it's inexcusable.

I found an article on the Independant site from January 1999 by Tom Brady, with the heading

Rapist jailed for life offers to help locate missing teen

I tried to post the link, but can't as a new user. A quick web search of the heading should bring it up, if anyone's interested in reading it.

I assume the prisoner is another hoaxer, as the article is so old and I haven't read anything else about him (in relation to Deirdre Jacob).

Here it is

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/rapist-jailed-for-life-offers-to-help-locate-missing-teen-26162219.html
    Going off this man's surname i wonder is he any relation to the guys living in that halting site? A poster mentioned talk locally about three lads bolting from a Halting site to the UK in the days after the disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think it was more the case that the Judge was concerned that LM would end up serving even less time than he did, eg Judge imposes 20 years. The criminal appeals and has sentence reduced to 10 and ends up serving 7.

Bull****

There's no way an appeal would have given him less than the 14 he got (often mis-stated as 15, but it was 14 + 1-year suspended)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

There was also a wee Romanian girl kidnapped in Dublin and murdered, her body dumped in the Dublin mountains afaik.
    Someone jailed for that one.

A guy stood trial for murdering her but got off. A complete psychopath who's a member of a notorious scumbag family, he's awaiting trial on other charges at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Another of Ireland's missing women is in the papers today. Fiona Sinnott, who went missing in 1998, is the subject of an upcoming documentary on TV3. Apparently the film has new evidence and footage.

Some of the more interesting quotes

- Retired detective sergeant Alan Bailey, who headed up Operation Trace, which investigated Ireland’s missing women, said Fiona’s is the “most solvable” of cases.

- “We know who killed Fiona. For so many years we were afraid to mention names but not anymore,” said Diane Sinnott, Fiona’s sister.

Full article here.

Read about Ireland's missing women and the so-called Vanishing Triangle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Omackeral wrote: »
    Another of Ireland's missing women is in the papers today. Fiona Sinnott, who went missing in 1998, is the subject of an upcoming documentary on TV3. Apparently the film has new evidence and footage.

Some of the more interesting quotes

- Retired detective sergeant Alan Bailey, who headed up Operation Trace, which investigated Ireland’s missing women, said Fiona’s is the “most solvable” of cases.

- “We know who killed Fiona. For so many years we were afraid to mention names but not anymore,” said Diane Sinnott, Fiona’s sister.

Full article here.

Read about Ireland's missing women and the so-called Vanishing Triangle here.
    copied and pasted from link above, terrible just mind boggling..[/QUOTE]

Fiona Sinnott, 19, of Rosslare, Co. Wexford, went missing on February 8, 1998. She was living in Broadway, Co. Wexford. Fiona was last seen leaving Butler's Pub in Broadway. She left the pub with her ex-boyfriend and father to her 11-month-old daughter, Sean Carroll. During his conversation with investigators, Carroll told them that he had walked Sinnott back to her house in Ballyhitt, Wexford and that he had spent the night sleeping on her couch. Sinnott, who had been complaining of pains in her arm and upper body, had gone straight to bed and that the next morning, on Monday, February 9th, Carroll said that he walked into Sinnott's bedroom and saw that she was awake. According to Carroll, Sinnott had told him that she was still in pain and that she had intended on hitching a lift to her physician later that day. Because Sinnott said that she had no money, Carroll told Gardai that he had given her £3. He then left the house and took a lift from his mother, who was waiting in a car outside. Carroll and his mother then drove back to their family home, which was where Sinnott and Carroll's daughter Emma had been staying at the time. Sinnott was never seen again. During the investigation into Sinnott's disappearance, it was discovered that she did not see a doctor that day (there were no records of her having visited any of the surgeries in the vicinity). The investigation also failed to find any evidence that she had been thumbing for a lift. During a technical examination of Sinnott's house, Gardai noticed that it had been stripped bare of a number of her personal belongings. According to retired detective sergeant Alan Bailey, there was a "complete absence of clothing and other personal items indicating that a teenage girl and her eleven-month-old daughter were actually living there." Later, locals would report that they had seen a number of black refuse bags outside of the property. As news of Sinnott's disappearance continued to spread, a local farmer approached Gardai with news that he had discovered a number of black bags in the corner of one of his fields. Inside, he had found a number of items and documents that had Sinnott's name written on them. Unfortunately, the farmer had set fire to these bags as he initially thought that it was just another case of illegal dumping. It wasn’t until news of Sinnott's disappearance reached him that he realised how significant they were. It was at this point that investigators began to suspect that somebody was trying to mislead them into thinking that Sinnott had run away. On September 12, 2008, a memorial plaque for Sinnott was stolen from a cemetery in Our Lady's Island in Wexford. The marble plaque, which had been cemented into the wall, was removed the night before it was due to be unveiled.

• Advertisement

OB1Kildare wrote: »
    ive always thought it was the road from dublin to waterford was the link between the 3 ...and that the others were ex partners but when you look at it like that with the dates ...it looks very much like a Serial K ...and a very busy one

It does indeed on first glance look to be a serial killer but the suspicion of ex partners like in the Fiona Pender case for example, shakes that theory. So perhaps some of the women were abducted by the one man and others by different men or who knows.

I believe that in Fiona's case it was her ex. There has been talk and speculation about him for years in the midlands. Her mother passed away not too long ago never seeing justice for her daughter.
    As for poor Deirdre, well I think LM's mother dying recently is what's opened this case back up again.
    The other women I think met their fate in different ways and at the hands of different men. I would need to study a bit more about the circumstances around each disappearance.

Serial killers are driven by a desire, a twisted kind of gratification seeking. It builds and builds until they simply cannot contain it and so they strike. The women they choose are very similar in looks/ethnicity/social demographic. They set out to kill and in order to be classified as a Serial Killer they must have at least three victims. To put it mildly they are not mentally well and were more than likely subject to abuse by a family member.

No doubt LM has had a profile created and the experts are aware of whether or not he fits the type. Thing is has he murdered since being released? A serial killer can go a long time without striking again but they will strike. I'm not convinced he is a serial killer. He is a different type of monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

LM has been watched like a hawk so no. He hasn't struck again.

In some of the cases, yes, its either ex bfs or the suspect is known but not enough evidence to convict.

Its the Annie McCarrick, Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob cases that are baffling the most.
    All of these cases are horrendous.
    There was some discussion about a link between the murder of Antoinette Smith and LM in terms of the way she was found. Antoinette was found (apparently and was reported) with her hands tied with her bra and a plastic bag over her head.

That was the way LM was trying to murder the Carlow woman before he was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Ande1975 wrote: »
    LM has been watched like a hawk so no. He hasn't struck again.

In some of the cases, yes, its either ex bfs or the suspect is known but not enough evidence to convict.

Its the Annie McCarrick, Jo Jo Dullard and Deirdre Jacob cases that are baffling the most.
    All of these cases are horrendous.
    There was some discussion about a link between the murder of Antoinette Smith and LM in terms of the way she was found. Antoinette was found (apparently and was reported) with her hands tied with her bra and a plastic bag over her head.

That was the way LM was trying to murder the Carlow woman before he was caught.

How can you guarantee he hasn't

It's strange that some of the cases received more media attention than others or maybe that's just my perception. I never heard of Antoinette Smith until this thread. Like poor Fiona Sinnott she too had children.
    Imagine growing up knowing your mam was taken from you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Where is LM now? Is he back in Amsterdam? Can the gardai really always be "watching him like a hawk" as another poster said? Do the police over there keep watch on him also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jayo99

not sure if its related or not but the police helicopter was hovering over a quarry in the Ballysax/Curragh area this evening around 8:15pm. This is the second time I've seen it in this spot in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

jayo99 wrote: »
    not sure if its related or not but the police helicopter was hovering over a quarry in the Ballysax/Curragh area this evening around 8:15pm. This is the second time I've seen it in this spot in the last two weeks.

Wow, that's right in the heart of the hot-spot area - between Newbridge, Castledermot and Baltinglass. But there are several quarries in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's strange that some of the cases received more media attention than others or maybe that's just my perception. I never heard of Antoinette Smith until this thread. Like poor Fiona Sinnott she too had children.
    Imagine growing up knowing your mam was taken from you :(

found this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I think LM is the most likely suspect in DJ and JJD. Possibly Raoniad Murray also. You'd be interested to know his movements on and around the date she was killed. Perhaps she struggled and was stronger than he thought. He vicously assaulted and broke the nose of the carlow woman before raping her so it does make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think LM is the most likely suspect in DJ and JJD. Possibly Raoniad Murray also. You'd be interested to know his movements on and around the date she was killed. Perhaps she struggled and was stronger than he thought. He vicously assaulted and broke the nose of the carlow woman before raping her so it does make sense.

But Raonaid Murray was not kidnapped, nor sexually assaulted. She was attacked in a suburban lane by a person with a knife, who made no attempt to remove the body (poor girl was left barely alive, trying to crawl to safety)

It doesn't look like the same MO at all.

That said, I know the Guards would give their last ounce of energy to find whoever did that crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Day Lewin wrote: »
    But Raonaid Murray was not kidnapped, nor sexually assaulted. She was attacked in a suburban lane by a person with a knife, who made no attempt to remove the body (poor girl was left barely alive, trying to crawl to safety)

It doesn't look like the same MO at all.

That said, I know the Guards would give their last ounce of energy to find whoever did that crime.

The Raonaid case is baffling. No motive at all. I wouldn’t think LM was involved. The gardai suspected Graham Dwyer. A journalist for the Indo who lives in the same estate where she was killed called the gardai to report a man on CCTV (his house backed on to the lane) jerking off with a magazine in his hand two months after Raonaid went missing. The gardai came and took the magazine away. When Graham Dwyer was caught years later they asked the journalist if it could have been him and he said yes it could have. Crucially the gardai never kept the magazine which would have the perpetrators DNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I thought the person who is supposed to have murdered Raonaid was a local drug addict who died on the streets in London a few years later.

tretorn wrote: »
    I thought the person who is supposed to have murdered Raonaid was a local drug addict who died on the streets in London a few years later.

Any links etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I have no theories to share on the discussion at hand, but I hope that those poor women didn't suffer for hours or days at the mercy of their captor(s) and it was very quick for them in the end. At this stage it is all we can hope for them.

Maybe some day the Gardai can solve these crimes and give their families some closure. I cannot even begin to imagine what they have gone through over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If anybody follows stuff in the UK Peter Tobin was an interesting serial killer who got away with his crimes for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Jo Jo Dullard sister always maintained it was a local farmers son who killed her but the farmer was a prominent politician so nothing would be done which is a terrifying prospect akin to Leo Varakdkar being a serial killer but no arrests made because of who he is. Sad case for all involved. :(

Jo Jo Dullard sister always maintained it was a local farmers son who killed her but the farmer was a prominent politician so nothing would be done which is a terrifying prospect akin to Leo Varakdkar being a serial killer but no arrests made because of who he is. Sad case for all involved. :(

She also said getting rid of the phone box was done so people would forget about jojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

wellwhynot wrote:
    The Raonaid case is baffling. No motive at all. I wouldn’t think LM was involved. The gardai suspected Graham Dwyer. A journalist for the Indo who lives in the same estate where she was killed called the gardai to report a man on CCTV (his house backed on to the lane) jerking off with a magazine in his hand two months after Raonaid went missing. The gardai came and took the magazine away. When Graham Dwyer was caught years later they asked the journalist if it could have been him and he said yes it could have. Crucially the gardai never kept the magazine which would have the perpetrators DNA.

tretorn wrote:

There was also speculation somewhere that the killer may have been female although this, like the other mooted possibilities, seems far fetched. It's clear the Gardai are no nearer to solving this case than they were on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

At end of the day no body here knows what happened any one for sure .
    If there is evidence then the gardai will act .
    Give it a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

kerry cow wrote: »
    At end of the day no body here knows what happened any one for sure .
    If there is evidence then the garden will act .
    Give it a rest

Gardening forum is over there.
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

The amount of times she was stabbed indicates the killer knew here according to some profilers. Lots of stabs equals anger/punishment on the part of the killer, or so the profilers say. I have seen an actual number somewhere but i cannot recall it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

It's baffling you have a body ,a scene and a profile that it maybe someone she knew .
    There has to be dna .
    So where's the killer .
    Cops must know more

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭OB1Kildare

Sorry if it has been asked already, but does anyone know if they ever did a search of the quarry and surrounding areas on the Aga Khan's land that John Crerar had access to? Seems very odd if they didn't.

guarda helicopter been over and back on 2 evenings ive seen - on all the quarries on the curragh ...even friday night just gone they were over kilsaran . real low and hoovering .the weekend before the case was up graded they were out there ....we were trying to figure out what they were doing - i headed off after watching them for 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭OB1Kildare

jayo99 wrote: »

2 weeks ago they were definitely looking at something - they looked to be scanning or something , and they were over where those quarrys are - they were over kilsaran on friday evening this week .

Advertisement