Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭Esel

recipio wrote: »
    Have a look at http://www.oakdalecrafts.co.uk. They are mainly a veneer shop but sell nice Lime blocks at a reasonable cost.

Link fixed above - needs http:// prefix to work on Touch site.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm looking to source a piece of wood to use as a desktop
    Maybe an offcut of a worktop
    Has to be solid wood, can be plain pine, I can put some oil on it to give it a colour
    something around 120cm long x 60 wide, I can cut to size if bigger than that
    Its for a teenagers bedroom so trying to keep costs down
    Based in North Kildare...any suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A single solid board two feet wide?
    You're not very likely to find that at Woodies :D
    Also, you're going to have to flatten it, and if you have the ability to do that, you might find it easier to laminate smaller boards together.

I suppose you could try something like sapele; getting very wide boards of that is relatively easy.

IMG_9917a.jpg

But I think you'd be better off getting a 240cm long 30cm wide (plus, say, a centimeter or two or so for wastage) board, cutting it in half for two 120cmx30cm boards and edge jointing them. And you're going to have to deal with wood movement. 60cm wide? Even oak or poplar are going to vary in width from just under 59cm wide to just over 61cm wide over the course of a year as the relative humidity changes.

If the idea is to make a desk and keep the costs down and not have to deal with too much wood movement, maybe use MDF or particle board?

thanks for the info
    I'll look at other ideas

would marine ply be a suitable alternative to use?
    Could it be sanded then and stained to give a wood grain look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    would marine ply be a suitable alternative to use?
    Could it be sanded then and stained to give a wood grain look?

You are into expense and grief going down that route. I think I would just buy commercial pine shelving available in the DIY stores and glue two lengths together - assuming you have the clamps. Otherwise a sheet of baltic birch 18 mm ply looks a lot like pine but you would have some wastage.

Thanks again
    I see woodworkers.ie has a 5’x5’ sheet that would be ideal for what I need for €40

Thanks again
    I see woodworkers.ie has a 5’x5’ sheet that would be ideal for what I need for €40

Yes, there is a product called panel board which is pine strips glued together and sold in 8 x 4 sheets. it is however hard to find and only about 14 mm thick. Solid wood will always wear better than a veneered board but you need the right tools to work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'm looking to source a piece of wood to use as a desktop
    Maybe an offcut of a worktop
    Has to be solid wood, can be plain pine, I can put some oil on it to give it a colour
    something around 120cm long x 60 wide, I can cut to size if bigger than that
    Its for a teenagers bedroom so trying to keep costs down
    Based in North Kildare...any suggestions please?

Strahans in Rathcoole sell laminated pine board , give them a call , if you got an 18mm 600 ✖2440 and cut it in two you would have a nice 36mm desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Willow is easy to get and nice to carve, lime is somewhat harder to get but wonderful to carve.
    If the form you are carving will allow hollowing of the finished carving, then carving green, whilst the wood is lovely and crisp to cut, and then hollowing to a relatively even thickness and allowing to dry before finishing is a good approach that will transform the carveability of almost any wood (i.e. almost any wood will be much nicer to carve whilst green) a bonus to this approach is that drying can be controlled relatively easily and proceed considerably faster than trying to dry a solid piece before carving.

Green wood in carveable sized pieces is also considerably easier to get, just ask a tree surgeon, or gardener, or farmer, etc, laburnum for example is quite beautiful timber, cotoneaster is sooooo smoooth with fine fine detail, etc
    tim

Thanks for your reply
    Yeah I've used green wood for my first couple of carvings & they turned out nice & were easier to carve. I have a saw mill near me where I bought the cedar from which I hadnt used before (I think I'll make a table or some stools out of what I got) so didn't realise it was so brittle. The guy also included a few beech blanks so I think I'll keep them for my carving. I'm also on the lookout for a bog wood supplier, (would love to get my hands on some more bog deal)
    Thanks again for the reply & advise its much appreciated
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

There's a chap I help out in Geashill in Offaly who has lime. He has other native hardwoods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joe90p

Hi All

Living in Galway City, Just started woodworking and following along with a Paul Sellers workbench build video.

I am having some trouble sourcing the larger pieces of timber e.g 70x90mm for legs. So far I have got pieces from B and Q.

Lokking for advice on
    * Cost effective options for getting larger pieces of timber.
    * transporting timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Glue pieces together to get the dimensions you want, you will have more choice and get better value in the general builders providers and hardware shops than B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

try woodworkers.ie Shipping might be a problem though. You could also ask a joinery workshop is they have offcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

You could try these guys I believe they can arrange delivery anywhere in Ireland. Perhaps send them an email with the sizes you need.
    http://www.thetimberyard.ie

Sligophoto wrote: »
    You could try these guys I believe they can arrange delivery anywhere in Ireland. Perhaps send them an email with the sizes you need.
    http://www.thetimberyard.ie

They are timber importers. They don't saw or plane timber. I just bought €1500 of Sapele off them, some was 32mm thick and 800 wide,when I wanted 25mm thick. Some of it bent substantially when sawn, so I had a fair bit of edge planing to get straight planks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have a rabbit hutch that needs a bit of TLC (or a new one!).

I've decided to look into patching it up/building a new one myself. Can anyone recommend an appropriate wood to be used for an outdoor hutch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably pressure treated timber? should be able to get it in any lumber yard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

probably pressure treated timber? should be able to get it in any lumber yard.

Isn't most pressure treated timber done so with arsenic?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

godtabh wrote: »
    I have a rabbit hutch that needs a bit of TLC (or a new one!).

I've decided to look into patching it up/building a new one myself. Can anyone recommend an appropriate wood to be used for an outdoor hutch?

Larch would be ideal. You want nice red heartwood planks. Very durable without nasty chemical treatment.
    I am sawing larch at home at the moment and could supply you with a few planks if you'd like.
    Tim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not since 2003, if a quick google can be trusted.

Red cedar or Larch. Cedar MAY upset the rabbits, but unlikely. It has it's own natural insecticide and atni bacterial. Larch is a very common timber for boat building, due to it's rot resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Regardless of how its treated, I'd be very reluctant to bury any timber treated with poison in my soil.
    Naturally durable timbers of course are also poisonous, its the extractives deposited by the tree in the heartwood that are responsible, however these poisons are naturally produced and do not leach from the timber into the soil whilst pressure treatment chemicals can leach out.

tim

Larch would be ideal. You want nice red heartwood planks. Very durable without nasty chemical treatment.
    I am sawing larch at home at the moment and could supply you with a few planks if you'd like.
    Tim

I appreciate the offer but other than my OP I haven't given it to much thought so maybe premature!

I will send you a PM

so, did anyone harvest any windfall?
    i got two chunks from a tree down near the house - one is the rootplate though, and i suspect is too rotten for anything but the stove.
    the other one is a decent sized three way crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Not much down around my way as far as I can see (Carlow). Cut and split a nice load of oak, blackthorn, alder and willow over the last few weeks though. Local farmer was clearing back some thick hedges and said I could help myself to whatever was down (mainly alder and willow with some ash) and got oak from father in law.
    Put away a nice bit for next year or the year after.

i need to figure out how to divide this up - my lathe has a maximum capacity of 12" diameter - on the nearer piece, the central section is 15" across the wider section of that main cut. it's two foot across.

461693.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I got this lump of wood in the recent storm.
    I don't know what it is but it very tough to cut, but I'm thinking it might be a bit rotten due to white patch.
    Can anyone tell me what wood it is and what could I do with it.

Phil.x wrote: »
    I got this lump of wood in the recent storm.
    I don't know what it is but it very tough to cut, but I'm thinking it might be a bit rotten due to white patch.
    Can anyone tell me what wood it is and what could I do with it.

Its spalted beech. The white area is fungal growth which infected the tree while it was still living. Some people find it attractive and turn bowls from it. Its hard to work as it tends to disintegrate no matter what you do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

So after lots of sanding and a drop of Danish oil, this is what I've got. Basic due to limited amount of wood working tools and skill.

Advertisement