Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Chadwicks in Limerick closed in 2012!

I'm flabbergasted but thanks. I use the Nenagh branch which is going strong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place to order timber online for delivery in the Wicklow area? Or at least that delivers to the north Wicklow area?

Be looking for some sheets of MDF and ply for internal stuff and then some treated timber for some outdoor applications (garden bench, raised planters).

Google throws up Goodwins but i think we're outside their 20km delivery range.

For ply and MDF and the standard softwood construction stuff and treated stuff, I'd start with some place like build4less.ie but mahons and brooks and everywhere else I know of all do delivery and did way before now (and build4less is buying off those guys anyway). Except for the large 4.8m long 4x2s and plywood and stuff I ordered way back when to do up the shed and build my workbench, I've always bought in person but that was because it was fun to wander round the stacks and pick out hardwood - it was never necessary, it was just fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

awec wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place to order timber online for delivery in the Wicklow area? Or at least that delivers to the north Wicklow area?

Be looking for some sheets of MDF and ply for internal stuff and then some treated timber for some outdoor applications (garden bench, raised planters).

Google throws up Goodwins but i think we're outside their 20km delivery range.

Another couple of North Wicklow options:
    1. Burke Hardware in Rathnew is another general building supplies place that stock for a limited range of sheet goods (basic ply, OSB and MDF options) and framing timber.
    2. Wood Industries in Rathdrum have a significant range of sheet goods, soft and hardwoods, in various stages of preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Morning folks,

Longshot, but does anyone know of any timber yards still open? Looking to get a supply so I can build decking and a garden shed.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Morning folks,

Longshot, but does anyone know of any timber yards still open? Looking to get a supply so I can build decking and a garden shed.

Many thanks.

Check your local Agri stores. I had heard that if they sell feed for livestock that they are allowed trade still. Might be your only hope until things get back to more normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

Hi All,

Would anyone have bought anything from these guys?
    http://qeh.ie/
    They are a supplier in Cobh and their website says they will supply 'crafters' like ourselves.

I am trying to locate some hardwood for a kitchen table and don't want to spend a whole day traveling to Dublin to pick up some. Also I dont have a van or trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Halycon wrote: »
    Would anyone have bought anything from these guys?
    http://qeh.ie/

Haven't used them no, but I'd be very interested in your experience if you do decide to try them out.

Thanks

I sent an email from the form on their website and got an email from Stephen, who was very helpful and gave me a quote for rough sawn oak, 2m x 1m x 50 mm approx in 100mm planks of €260. That includes some wastage
    When the restrictions ease I will be calling to them

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

I sent an email from the form on their website and got an email from Stephen, who was very helpful and gave me a quote for rough sawn oak, 2m x 1m x 50 mm approx in 100mm planks of €260. That includes some wastage

How much is that per sawn cubic metre?

2x1x.05=.1
    => €2600 per sawn metre cubed.........!!!!!!!!!!!

I am FLABBERGASTED,
    definitely sawing the wrong stuff in tang
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How much is that per sawn cubic metre?

2x1x.05=.1
    => €2600 per sawn metre cubed.........!!!!!!!!!!!

I am FLABBERGASTED,
    definitely sawing the wrong stuff in tang
    tim

€75/ cubic ft, for two inch oak, that's generally the price of it, if it's kiln dried, but you would be hoping for boards 150-200mm wide for better grain pattern.

• Advertisement

75/cubic foot? That's twice what I was paying last time I bought some KD 2" oak, has it gone up that much in the last year? That's what I was paying for 1" walnut!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

are all these numbers correct: seems v expensive

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sparks wrote: »
    75/cubic foot? That's twice what I was paying last time I bought some KD 2" oak, has it gone up that much in the last year? That's what I was paying for 1" walnut!!!

Where were you getting 1" walnut for €75, it was €115 about 6 months ago.

Where were you getting 1" walnut for €75, it was €115 about 6 months ago.
    Like I said, 1 year ago, from Quinns.
    Brexit was driving up prices even then, but for oak to go up by *that* much is still a shock.

are all these numbers correct: seems v expensive

Hi, yes numbers correct. If you can source something in Cork that is cheaper I would love to hear it! :)

€75/ cubic ft, for two inch oak, that's generally the price of it, if it's kiln dried, but you would be hoping for boards 150-200mm wide for better grain pattern.

Hi Tabby, I would like to, and I will see if they have anything wider than 100mm

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Got a bucket worth of Yew today, and a few other bits. Will prob keep most for wood turning, but anyone ever try rough sawing Yew with bandsaw and letting it dry? Is it nice wood to work with for making small pieces like boxes or keepsakes?

Svgr2jv.jpg

oHKRvVE.jpg

Some years ago I cut up a lot of Yew trunks on my Hammer bandsaw. It wasn't too difficult - I made a 'sled' out of plywood which ran in a groove in the bandsaw table.
    Yew is amazing stuff. It seems completely resistant to rot and cuts easily. It is however a beggar to work - expect splits, knots and way too much sapwood. It also like to warp as it dries so if you want 1/2" finished boards better to cut it to 1" to allow for loss.
    Its worth doing though - where else will you find Yew unless you mill it yourself.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Well that’s encouragement enough for me. I think I’ll slice up a few of the longer straight bits and see what I get.

bamayang wrote: »
    Well that’s encouragement enough for me. I think I’ll slice up a few of the longer straight bits and see what I get.

Go for it ! I forgot to mention its is a beautiful wood with hints of red and purple. I've made a few boxes from it and they all turn a lovely nut brown colour after a year or two.

• Advertisement

I always refer to the wood-database site. Very informative. Take note of the comments about toxicity - It's not to be ignored.

https://www.wood-database.com/european-yew/

I turned some many years ago and it was very nice to work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Absolutely beautiful timber, my favorite.

A couple of Urns I turned a few years ago.:)

[IMG][/img]h7UWp6r.jpg

Got some new turning blanks today from homeofwood.co.uk. 16 blanks, total of 15kg, all dried, for about a hundred euro delivered (my minilathe can't deal with anything over 11" so I got a few more smalls than the usual sack of blanks I think). Some damn pretty pieces of spalted beech in there.

2020-05-14-14.31.50a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Got some new turning blanks today from homeofwood.co.uk. 16 blanks, total of 15kg, all dried, for about a hundred euro delivered (my minilathe can't deal with anything over 11" so I got a few more smalls than the usual sack of blanks I think). Some damn pretty pieces of spalted beech in there.

2020-05-14-14.31.50a.jpg

I've got a few sacks of blanks from Paul at home of wood. Last sack had some lovely figured Yew. Its a great service, pity there's nothing like it here :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

2020-05-14-14.31.50a.jpg

Nice selection there, and great value. I doubt you could get that here for the same.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard stories of someone who used to fly up and down ireland, noting the position of large field trees, and would note the co-ordinates of said trees. they'd then sell the info to a company who would find out who owned the land, and approach them, ask to see the tree, and offer to buy the tree; with the idea that the tree could be processed to make veneer or put to other uses.
    whether there's any truth in those stories, i am not well informed enough to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Considering a very small project based off US plans, and have never had to by wood before! Is it hard to get 4x4" Douglas Fir here? Anything I look for online in Ireland doesn't seem to have an 89mm x 89mm option for most woods! I assume I'm looking at the wrong thing or in the wrong places

brianblaze wrote: »
    Considering a very small project based off US plans, and have never had to by wood before! Is it hard to get 4x4" Douglas Fir here? Anything I look for online in Ireland doesn't seem to have an 89mm x 89mm option for most woods! I assume I'm looking at the wrong thing or in the wrong places

Getting 4x4 wood is difficult and getting Douglas Fir is near impossible. Its not used routinely in this country - African Iroko has replaced it for practically any outdoor construction. I haven't looked it however so I am open to correction. You may find Oak in 4x4 at some dedicated sawmills however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

recipio wrote: »
    Getting 4x4 wood is difficult and getting Douglas Fir is near impossible. Its not used routinely in this country - African Iroko has replaced it for practically any outdoor construction. I haven't looked it however so I am open to correction. You may find Oak in 4x4 at some dedicated sawmills however.

Cheers! Much appreciated (It's an indoor job, i should have mentioned that! A squat rack! Ha!)

• Advertisement

brianblaze wrote: »

I would imagine you could use pressure treated softwood for that. If you can't find 4x4 just glue up whatever you have to get the final dimensions. Not forgetting to use a waterproof glue. ;)

Advertisement