Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Incredible finish and Limerick deserved winners. They brought far more intensity although Galway will be very sore about the first goal.

It was the worst final in my memory for the first 55 minutes but the end made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Great second half. Just amazing half of Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Incredible finish and Limerick deserved winners. They brought far more intensity although Galway will be very sore about the first goal.

It was the worst final in my memory for the first 55 minutes but the end made up for it.

Awful final overall but it's still the best season of hurling I can remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Awful final overall but it's still the best season of hurling I can remember!

Congrats Limerick.
    Terrible game up to 65 minutes for us neutrals though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

A few of us were chatting in this thread not all that long ago about a pretty tragic car accident in the midlands. The driver recently got acquitted of a number of charges related to deaths of all four of her passengers.

Pretty awful one coming from Donegal today. 2 dead and I think 3 badly injured. The driver, who was the only one relatively okay, fled the scene and presented himself at a Garda station 4 hours later. One hour outside the testing window for a breathalizer. Early enough in terms of the facts, but if he had drink on him, properly overloaded car, crashed at 3am, then I have basically no sympathy for him. So I imagine a few posters who were annoyed at the acquittal in June will be equally disappointed.

:(:(

Ireland has to sort this **** out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

errlloyd wrote: »
    A few of us were chatting in this thread not all that long ago about a pretty tragic car accident in the midlands. The driver recently got acquitted of a number of charges related to deaths of all four of her passengers.

Pretty awful one coming from Donegal today. 2 dead and I think 3 badly injured. The driver, who was the only one relatively okay, fled the scene and presented himself at a Garda station 4 hours later. One hour outside the testing window for a breathalizer. Early enough in terms of the facts, but if he had drink on him, properly overloaded car, crashed at 3am, then I have basically no sympathy for him. So I imagine a few posters who were annoyed at the acquittal in June will be equally disappointed.

:(:(

Ireland has to sort this **** out.
    Is there not mandatory blood testing in the event of a fatal crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car after drinking is an absolute clown who deserves to be locked up, regardless of whether they caused an accident or not.

It's such a stupid part of our society where people seem to just say "ah shur it'll be grand, I only had the two".

Anything that causes even the slightest impairment means you're more at risk of causing an accident.

A good friend of mine, his mother was killed by a driver who had "two or three" and bent down to pick up his phone and veered off on to the path and ran her over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't actually drive myself (which is probably the only bad thing about me, the rest is class) so I don't actually know what the penalties are, but I'd hope the penalties for being caught are fairly severe?

Also, is this more common in Donegal, or am I seeing things?

I don't actually drive myself (which is probably the only bad thing about me, the rest is class) so I don't actually know what the penalties are, but I'd hope the penalties for being caught are fairly severe?

I don't know if it's more common in Donegal or if it's just that the roads are so much worse that it happens more frequently but I believe statistically they are one of the worst if not the worst unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Being so remote and having some of the worst roads in the country, Donegal does seem to have a much higher proportion of these types of accidents. Drink may not even prove to be a factor in this. It could well just be a case of a learner driver unaccompanied in an over crowded car, showing off and going too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Being so remote and having some of the worst roads in the country, Donegal does seem to have a much higher proportion of these types of accidents. Drink may not even prove to be a factor in this. It could well just be a case of a learner driver unaccompanied in an over crowded car, showing off and going too fast.

I looked up the stats a few years back. Dublin, Kerry, Donegal had the highest numbers (Dublin for obvious reasons) of road deaths (not just alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

Any person caught drink driving or using a phone should be forced to attend a RTA. (Road Traffic Accident) Just observing the scene will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Horrible case. There seems to have been multiple issues. They were driving in the middle of the night in poor conditions according to locals. They were driving a Peugeot 306 which was a car that was discontinued 16 years ago so we can assume it may have seen better days although there's nothing to say it wasn't officially roadworthy. Going by the photos in the media it looks older than 2002. It's a small, 2 door car. There were 6 people in it. None of those (4) in the back were wearing seatbelts.

We don't know if alcohol was consumed but it's a possible situation based on the details. Donegal has major problems with their road safety for a multitude of reasons...road quality, lack of Gardaí and undeniably a culture of fast driving.

The two dead were only 20 years old. They look like kids....probably because they were. The driver will surely get his comeuppance in some form but I'm too appalled looking at the photos of the deceased to think about it much.

Mayo is very similar to Donegal. It doesn't have quite the boy racer culture but the locals, in my experience, have a very dismissive attitude to dangerous driving and, knowing some of the Gardaí there, it's an opinion shared by them. Quite happy to turn a blind eye and believe they've more important things to be doing. People will comfortably do 80-90kmph in a 50kmph zone through a town.

OldRio wrote: »
    Any person caught drink driving or using a phone should be forced to attend a RTA. Just observing the scene will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

There aren't enough accidents in a decade for all the phone using motorists to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Seems more common up there but not sure.
    stephen_n wrote: »
    There is a percentage of young males who have no issues sourcing old cars and driving them on back roads. There is a trade in these old cars; they sell for €100, or €150.
    Ive lived with a lot of people from Donegal over the years and they all drive, own car in college unlike majority of people.

Last year Donegal was only 8th, but historically it's been pretty high. This year it'll go up again. I

In 2016+2017, traffic fatalities by county:

Dublin: 44
    Cork: 35
    Limerick: 24
    Tipperary: 21
    Meath: 21
    Louth: 17
    Donegal: 16
    Mayo: 16
    Galway: 15

Given the lack of major roads in Mayo along with their population base, I find theirs possibly the worst although Cork's is awful too as is Tipperary but they have major roads going through them with a high volume of traffic.

Just another gobsmacking statistic (to me)....20% of fatalities are people who weren't wearing seatbelts. Who on earth doesn't wear a seatbelt these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2019-government-could-raise-over-430m-with-new-income-tax-rate-1.3602449

And there is the problem with Ireland. Too much tax and charges. Government should incentivise people to work hard and be better off, not tax them more, in effect penalise people for getting themselves qualified and be successful. I find government in Ireland lacking innovation and tending to take intellectually lazy options.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/budget-2019-government-could-raise-over-430m-with-new-income-tax-rate-1.3602449

And there is the problem with Ireland. Too much tax and charges. Government should incentivise people to work hard and be better off, not tax them more, in effect penalise people for getting themselves qualified and be successful. I find government in Ireland lacking innovation and tending to take intellectually lazy options.

Ah right, that's the problem is it?

swiwi_ wrote: »

We need far, far more tax brackets imo. The more the better. Gradual increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Far more becomes difficult to operate. We definitely need one more at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A gradual tax system would definitely be beneficial for families/individuals earning the average wage, the jump from 20% to 40% after you've hit the threshold is fairly massive.

Can we have more brackets, and less credits and other things. I have never have any idea how much I am actually meant to get paid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are about 80 tax brackets here, it's a bit mad. I literally have a booklet listing them all.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Can we have more brackets, and less credits and other things. I have never have any idea how much I am actually meant to get paid.

People individually lose thousands per year because of this. Since I've had my accounts done each year end I've gotten fairly significant amounts of cash back and most people don't bother.

People individually lose thousands per year because of this. Since I've had my accounts done each year end I've gotten fairly significant amounts of cash back and most people don't bother.

I don't actually.

I should start doing that.

I don't actually.

I should start doing that.

Most of what I get back comes from being jointly assessed but there are other incidentals that stack up. The first year I had it done I had to back account for 3 or so years and it was several holidays worth of tax back.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There are about 80 tax brackets here, it's a bit mad. I literally have a booklet listing them all.

Really? I was under the impression there was two for income tax

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement