Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant race Eyrie. You are a fab runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

I can't say it any better than Skyblue! It really was a fantastic race on paper and reading the report confirms just how well you ran it. Congratulations on a super performance. Great things to come absolutely no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done, what an opening effort (and report) for 10 miles! Lots more improvement to follow...very soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Those older ones are great pacers, I find.

Congratulations. You're so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

My fees are small ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

skyblue46 wrote: »
    My fees are small ;-)
    eyrie wrote: »
    There was an older man just in front who seemed steady as a rock going up it so I imagined a giant rubber band tying me to him and stayed right with him. Worked a charm. From this point until we hit mile 9 I stayed right beside him. He looked like he'd been running for years - no fancy running watch or anything but just kept a nice steady pace the whole time. It was an amazing help just running along beside him.

Ah *no* .... come on. It wasn't?

(and looking on your log, indeed, I see it really wasn't! Will bear in mind if iI ever need to hire a pacer though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well done on a great race and your PB!
    Thanks! Really enjoyed it I must say :)
    That's a fantastic result and the run of a way more experienced runner. The imaginary elastic band is a great way of running particularly if you plan to run in the vicinity of a pacing group in DCM. Another lesson you learned is that as the distances go up it will feel like more of the race is run well within your capabilities if you are pacing it correctly. Again this will be hugely important in DCM when the early miles will feel ridiculously easy and you will need to control the urge to run faster.

Out of curiosity what time had Runcoach predicted for the 10 mile?

Your star in continuing to rise and is hugely well deserved on the back of fantastically consistent training. Long may it continue. :)
    Based on Dunshaughlin it predicted 1:22:29. Now I didn't run as fast as I hoped/felt I should have in Dunshaughlin so I thought it probably wasn't the best predictor, but then again a longer race might easily mean more of a drop off too so I was roughly aiming for that as my time. My last 5k would have me at more like 1:21 so I'll certainly push a bit harder next time.
    And thank you very much for the nice comments :o Sorry you missed the race yourself but I know you had more important places to be :)
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Fantastic achievement. A really great time. I've a feeling there's a lot more to come, too :)
    Ah thank you! Definitely prefer these kinds of distances so I look forward to doing a few more.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Brilliant race Eyrie. You are a fab runner.
    Ah your own race on Saturday puts me to shame! Proper fighting spirit there!
    ariana` wrote: »
    I can't say it any better than Skyblue! It really was a fantastic race on paper and reading the report confirms just how well you ran it. Congratulations on a super performance. Great things to come absolutely no doubt about it.
    Thanks ariana! It was one of those days when things felt good. They're not always like that!
    Well done, what an opening effort (and report) for 10 miles! Lots more improvement to follow...very soon :)
    Thanks WW! Great weekend's racing out of you too :D

They really are! He had that look about him. That or I was just being really judgmental... :o And thank you! I'm far from fast, but I was slower 6 months ago so it's all progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

eyrie wrote:
    I picked her out and half told myself I'd try and catch her before the end, but I wasn't too sure if I meant it.
    eyrie wrote:
    Every so often I'd check in and ask myself, "is this an honest effort?" to make sure I wasn't taking it too easy. I thought it was, so I'm ok with that. Probably I could have worked harder and still made it through just fine and maybe a bit quicker, but now I have something to work on next time.

eyrie wrote:
    With a mile to go though I knew I would have been slacking if I didn't pick it up. I went for it, and to my surprise no one else around me seemed to. I passed everyone near me between there and the finish line, including the woman in the orange tshirt with about 200m to go.

I just love seeing stuff like this. Well done on a great performance but more importantly a great attitude. You're wise beyond your running years. Lots more to come from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Congrats- great runnning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done in Mullingar and a great PB. Would have said hello if I knew you were racing. Echo your sentiments on it being a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done, such a well paced run:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done, that sounds like you had no problems with your race, in fact it sounds like you quite enjoyed that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Super run, eyrie. Sounds like you were well within yourself. Agree re the distance - it's probably my favourite too, although it's a long time since I've raced one as well as that. Congrats.

I just love seeing stuff like this. Well done on a great performance but more importantly a great attitude. You're wise beyond your running years. Lots more to come from you.
    Ha! Don't know if I'd say wise now myself but sure I'll take it if it's going! :p Thanks - I genuinely think reading your race reports has helped me a lot in terms of attitude to racing, lots to learn from
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    Congrats- great runnning!
    Thanks Bluesquare! Hope the HM training is going well :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done in Mullingar and a great PB. Would have said hello if I knew you were racing. Echo your sentiments on it being a great race.
    Thanks! Yep it was a nice one wasn't it? I didn't realise any Boardsies were going and I still don't know what anyone looks like or I would have tried to say hello too! Glad you enjoyed it too.
    Well done, such a well paced run:D
    Lol, thanks! My unwitting helper was very, ehh, helpful :pac:
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Well done, that sounds like you had no problems with your race, in fact it sounds like you quite enjoyed that!!
    I really enjoyed it! You can't always say that about races so it's always nice when it happens. Thanks!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Super run, eyrie. Sounds like you were well within yourself. Agree re the distance - it's probably my favourite too, although it's a long time since I've raced one as well as that. Congrats.
    It's a lovely balance of things I think - based on that one anyway. Hope to do a few more in the future. And thanks! Hope the last few weeks of 800m training deliver good things for you. I can't imagine taking on anything like that so it's great to follow along :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some excellent racing going on in T&L parish these days.
    To be honest though, I wasn't planning to focus too rigidly on pace. Anyway this 'strategy', if it can be called that, meant I got passed by loads of people in the first few minutes (and then satisfyingly reversed the process for the rest of the race ;)

So say we all. :cool:

Goodbye July! Already feels very belated saying that now

Monday 30th - 60 mins very easy
    5.8 miles / 10:14 avg pace / 144 (161) HR avg (max)
    Passed 1,000 miles for the year! Woo!

Tuesday 31st - 8 x 3 min @ CV pace (2 min recoveries)
    7.8 miles / 10:04 avg pace / 157 (179) HR avg (max)
    Interval paces (Goal: 7:55 - 7:39): 7:57, 7:45, 7:49, 7:41, 7:50, 7:42, 7:51, 7:45
    Just not feeling it at all today, actually came home and fell asleep briefly before I pulled myself together. Given that, and the fact that it was pretty windy, I was happy just to get this done. First one came out a tiny bit slow but the others were spot on.

Wednesday 1st August - 2 x Runmutes (9 miles easy) + Pilates
    AM: 4.7 miles / 10:35 avg pace - Ran to work with backpack. Tired.
    PM: 4.4 miles / 10:21 avg pace - Opposite direction, with the backpack again. Much better than the morning, and indeed than in recent days. Felt easier.
    Pilates at lunchtime too (not easy :( ). Noticing the hip/glute feeling a bit niggly again so need to be more diligent about the rolling and stretching.

Thursday 2nd - Rest

Friday 3rd - 60 mins moderate
    8.5 miles / 9:30 avg pace / 158 (179) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:26 (w/u), 9:27, 9:15, 9:19, 9:21, 9:15, 9:10, 9:03/4:12 (0.5 mile), 10:03 (c/d)
    Target 'moderate' pace is 9:21-9:37 so most of this was a touch quick but thoroughly enjoyable and felt very comfortable.

Saturday 4th - Long run: 2 hrs 15 mins easy
    14.15 miles / 9:46 avg pace / 154 (166) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:00, 9:54, 10:07, 9:41, 9:28, 9:33, 9:39, 9:54, 10:06, 9:43, 9:23, 9:47, 9:28, 9:58
    It was almost like I had gotten locked into the pace from the previous day, because this was noticeably quicker than my usual long runs but just seemed to be where I was ending up. I wondered if I should rein it in but honestly it felt great. Longest run I've ever done too! Looooong way to go still! Eeek

Sunday 5th - Rest

Weekly mileage: 45.35 miles
    Not a great start to the week but definitely ended it on a high, loved those last few runs.

| 2017 | 2018
    January | 14.5 | 124
    February | 61 | 121
    March | 90 | 152
    April | 116 | 129
    May | 113 | 157
    June | 114 | 149
    July | 143 | 179
    August | 84 |
    September | 104 |
    October | 113 |
    November | 137 |
    December | 36 |

Great such a positive end to the week and congrats on your longest run! Such a good feeling when it’s all going so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great running and well done on the longest run...you'll have more of those!
    Have to say, the mileage you're hitting each week is so impressive and this log is one of the (now many) which have given me a kick up the a*se in terms of my own mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Snapsies on long run average pace:) I think sometimes it's easier to just go with it if it feels fine rather than attempting to slow down. Congrats on your longest ever run!

Another very solid week eyrie, no surprise. You probably still had the 10 mile race in your legs early in the week, in hindsight might have been no harm to push the Tuesday session to Wed, although with the Friday moderate i suppose that may have been too close then. But you got it done and you nailed it despite not feeling the love which is a fantastic sign. I've said it before but the future is definitely bright, well done.

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great such a positive end to the week and congrats on your longest run! Such a good feeling when it’s all going so well.
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great running and well done on the longest run...you'll have more of those!
    Have to say, the mileage you're hitting each week is so impressive and this log is one of the (now many) which have given me a kick up the a*se in terms of my own mileage.
    Snapsies on long run average pace:) I think sometimes it's easier to just go with it if it feels fine rather than attempting to slow down. Congrats on your longest ever run!
    Another very solid week eyrie, no surprise. You probably still had the 10 mile race in your legs early in the week, in hindsight might have been no harm to push the Tuesday session to Wed, although with the Friday moderate i suppose that may have been too close then. But you got it done and you nailed it despite not feeling the love which is a fantastic sign. I've said it before but the future is definitely bright, well done.
    Thanks for the lovely comments all! I must say it's great training for something along with a bunch of other people - feels like sharing the pain (and the highs!) even if we're all going about it in our own way.

Found myself getting stuck in the comparison trap a bit this week. It's really nice in terms of camaraderie to be training for the same event at the same time as lots of other people, but the downside is there are lots of other people with training to be looking at/comparing yourself to. Which is inevitably a total waste of time, since no two people need/should be doing the exact same training. I'm not someone who uses social media at all in generally, but I find myself checking Strava quite a bit now and while it's really nice to see what other people are doing and how they're getting on, it feels very easy to take it a step further and start questioning what you're doing yourself or feeling less satisfied with your own training and progress. Need to keep that in check as that's really not what it's about for me anyway.

Monday 6th - 60ish mins easy
    6.35 miles / 10:29 avg pace / No HR strap
    Out in the evening of the bank holiday for this. So humid. Felt very sluggish, bit of a slog.

Tuesday 7th - 20 mins threshold (8:00 - 8:11)
    7.05 miles / 9:46 avg pace / 156 (187) HR avg (max)
    Threshold splits: 8:07, 8:03, 7:59 (for 0.5 mile)
    I arrogantly thought this would a breeze given that it was practically my recent 10 mile race pace but only for 20 mins. How wrong I was! Felt about a million times harder than the race did. Back down to earth with me so... ;)

Wednesday 8th - 2 x 45 mins easy + foam rolling
    AM: 4.4 miles / 10:23 avg pace / 143 HR avg
    PM: 4.3 miles / 10:19 avg pace / 143 HR avg
    Didn't do either of these as runmutes this week and while I prefer running without the backpack, it made it much harder to motivate myself to go out twice. Think I'll go back to doing it the other way, or else scrap the double on some days.

Thursday 9th - 60 mins very easy
    5.7 miles / 10:32 avg pace / 142 (155) HR avg (max)
    Morning run again. Very slow start. Up the drag up Crumlin, so the way back was quicker and it balanced out overall.

Friday 10th - 90 min progression run (30 easy, 30 moderate, 30 tempo)
    14.1 miles / 9:37 avg pace / 153 (185) HR avg (max)
    Paces: Warm up: 11:06, 11:02 | 30 easy @ 10:37 | 30 moderate @ 9:26 | 30 tempo @ 8:22 | 1 mile HMP @ 7:59 | Cool down: 1.5 miles at 10:01
    Again, I think I expected this to be easier than it was ever going to be. I mean the point is obviously for it not to be completely easy, so it's time I stopped resisting that. None of the sections were overly hard, I just had to keep paying attention and fight the tendency to back off. Added a mile at half marathon pace at the end for some unknown reason, plus a couple of warm up and cool down miles. Each of the progression sections were bang on.
    All manageable, and I felt fine after it, but by about mid afternoon I was wrecked and my legs were very delicate!

Saturday 11th - Rest
    Down in Wexford for the weekend.

Sunday 12th - Easy run
    5.3 miles / 10:01 avg pace / 149 (159) HR avg (max)
    Very tired coming back from the weekend and almost skipped this, but as soon as I got moving I felt much better.

Weekly mileage: 47.2 miles

Felt like a challenging week really, this one. Not too challenging, I think, but working all the same. Congrats to everyone who ran the R'n'R Half at the weekend. This time last year I ran it as my first (ehhh, still only!) half marathon and it was a huge deal for me.

Tuesday 7th - 20 mins threshold (8:00 - 8:11)
    7.05 miles / 9:46 avg pace / 156 (187) HR avg (max)
    Threshold splits: 8:07, 8:03, 7:59 (for 0.5 mile)
    I arrogantly thought this would a breeze given that it was practically my recent 10 mile race pace but only for 20 mins. How wrong I was! Felt about a million times harder than the race did. Back down to earth with me so... ;)

Funnily earlier on i was looking at that run for this week, it just so happens there's a local 5k race tomorrow evening, 20 mins @ threshold in a 5k race would actually feel easy i think! But i decided it'd be a cop out so i'm just going to make myself suck it up and do it on my own but i am kind of dreading it :eek:

Can i ask why the doubles? I assumed you do them as it suited you to do a runmute but if they're not part of a runmute then i'm just curious as to your what's logic behind them - more miles?

I get where you are coming from with Strava. It is a fantastic tool but i suppose some perspective has to be maintained with all things social media related. We can put so much pressure on ourselves when we start to compare, it's a slippery slope isn't, i'm certainly guilty of losing subjectivity :o

Another great week. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Funnily earlier on i was looking at that run for this week, it just so happens there's a local 5k race tomorrow evening, 20 mins @ threshold in a 5k race would actually feel easy i think! But i decided it'd be a cop out so i'm just going to make myself suck it up and do it on my own but i am kind of dreading it :eek:

Can i ask why the doubles? I assumed you do them as it suited you to do a runmute but if they're not part of a runmute then i'm just curious as to your what's logic behind them - more miles?

I get where you are coming from with Strava. It is a fantastic tool but i suppose some perspective has to be maintained with all things social media related. We can put so much pressure on ourselves when we start to compare, it's a slippery slope isn't, i'm certainly guilty of losing subjectivity :o

Another great week. Well done.

It's waaaayyyyy easier to hit those paces in a race or Parkrun. That's what I did on the 2 previous plans. Luckily this week my race will replace it :D Doing them alone is the most difficult way but I suppose it increases mental toughness!

Eyrie the thing, as you well know, is that so many people are on different plans. Many are also ignoring sensible training paces. This makes comparisons futile. Your plan is a good one, your form is seriously good and your training is exemplary. Worry not! ;)

PS. I was also wondering why you threw random doubles into a plan you are otherwise following to a T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Found myself getting stuck in the comparison trap a bit this week. It's really nice in terms of camaraderie to be training for the same event at the same time as lots of other people, but the downside is there are lots of other people with training to be looking at/comparing yourself to. Which is inevitably a total waste of time, since no two people need/should be doing the exact same training. I'm not someone who uses social media at all in generally, but I find myself checking Strava quite a bit now and while it's really nice to see what other people are doing and how they're getting on, it feels very easy to take it a step further and start questioning what you're doing yourself or feeling less satisfied with your own training and progress. Need to keep that in check as that's really not what it's about for me anyway.

I hear ya. It seems that everyone is now running longer and further than me on their LSRs. It's hard not to feel a small bit of doubt, but then I'm really happy with the amount of work I'm putting in and you should be, too. I keep saying it, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. We're just spreading the mileage out more during the week is all.
    Wednesday 8th - 2 x 45 mins easy + foam rolling
    AM: 4.4 miles / 10:23 avg pace / 143 HR avg
    PM: 4.3 miles / 10:19 avg pace / 143 HR avg
    Didn't do either of these as runmutes this week and while I prefer running without the backpack, it made it much harder to motivate myself to go out twice. Think I'll go back to doing it the other way, or else scrap the double on some days.

Any way you can get rid of the backpack? I'm limited in the winter months in that I need to be able to carry stuff home, but in the summer, I'm good to go with just a really trendy bum bag to carry my stuff :cool: I should be embarrassed at the state of me, really!

PS. I was also wondering why you threw random doubles into a plan you are otherwise following to a T
    I'm wondering why myself now! I'm sure I had a reason for it at the start... :confused:
    In all seriousness there were a few reasons:
    • I don't like always having to either get up early enough to fit in a decent run, or give over enough of my evening to it, so doing two slightly shorter ones that only take a little longer than my walk to work seemed like a compromise (but if I don't do them as commutes then that's out the window obviously)
    • Before I started the plan I was worried about low mileage due to slow training paces, so I thought it'd counteract that a bit without overdoing things
    • Ok that's all I can think of... :pac:
    I think now they're handy enough when done as runmutes but otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever for me in my current plan, so lesson learned there. If I don't feel like running to work both ways I'll just keep it to one run.

I hear ya. It seems that everyone is now running longer and further than me on their LSRs. It's hard not to feel a small bit of doubt, but then I'm really happy with the amount of work I'm putting in and you should be, too. I keep saying it, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. We're just spreading the mileage out more during the week is all.
    You're 100% right (and you definitely deserve to be happy with the work you're putting in!). I also really feel that the plan I'm on is suiting me very well, so there's nothing for me to be dissatisfied with at all! It's just one of those things though, you see other people doing more/faster/whatever and it's hard not to compare. It's not a major issue for me, just one I don't want to let get any further.
    Any way you can get rid of the backpack? I'm limited in the winter months in that I need to be able to carry stuff home, but in the summer, I'm good to go with just a really trendy bum bag to carry my stuff :cool: I should be embarrassed at the state of me, really!
    I'll have to start experimenting. In fairness if I'm organised I don't need to have too much in the backpack anyway so it's not that bad. I'm clearly just having a moany day, ignore me! :rolleyes:

Great week Eyrie. I’m always comparing too and wondering about what others are doing! You are doing great though.

I'm way behind on my boards-catching-up this week, lots of reading to do! But I'll start with an update here before I lose the week :rolleyes:

Monday 13th - 40 min tempo (+ w/u & c/d)
    8.05 miles / 9:08 avg pace
    Tempo splits (goal: 8:40 - 8:20): 8:26, 8:22, 8:20, 8:19, (8:17/6:33 for 0.8 mile)
    The run itself felt really great, pace was very comfortable, but I got a bad migraine just after getting in from this. Seems to have started happening more often lately straight after runs, which is annoying.

Tuesday 14th - Rest
    Migraine recovery :(

Wednesday 15th - Random run: 2M w/u, 4M MP ish, 2M c/d
    8 miles / 9:31 avg pace
    Splits: 10:28,10:16 | 8:59, 8:57, 8:50, 8:56 | Cool down: 9:39, 9:55
    My schedule was all messed up due to going away for the rest of the week, so this was the result :) Thoroughly enjoyed this one. First thing in the morning which often isn't my brightest time but this felt great, and the pace section was really comfortable. Not so later in the week...

Thursday 16th - 40 mins easy
    4.05 miles / 9:58 avg pace / 145 HR avg
    Away in Kilkenny. Nice to have a change of scenery.

Friday 17th - 60 mins moderate (+ w/u & c/d)
    8.15 miles / 9:24 avg pace / 163 (182) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:25 | 9:24, 9:27, 9:13, 9:08, 9:15, 9:09, 9:14
    A bit quick but felt really good, apart from some stomach issues towards the end which prevented me slowing down for the cool down :(

Saturday 18th - LSR incl 4 miles @ MP
    16 miles / 9:48 avg pace / 163 (184) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:29, 10:06, 9:51, 9:57, 10:24, 9:42, 9:49, 9:43, 10:14, 9:03, 8:54, 9:00. 8:59, 10:14, 10:18, 10:10
    Not a confidence-giving run, this one! I was tired from the start so I'm not really sure it can/should be blamed on the distance, though it was my longest run to date. Covered part of the DCM route, from Dolphin's Barn to near the finish. I had decided I would try 5-6 MP miles in the second half, but this got cut down to 4 as I was struggling. Took a gel halfway through for practice, can't say I noticed it one way or another.

Sunday 19th - 40 min recovery ish
    4.05 miles / 10:21 avg pace
    Much better! Felt normal again.

Weekly mileage: 48.3 miles

I was feeling bad about this week because the LSR didn't go well, but actually now that I'm putting it all together the earlier part of the week was great. Or maybe I should say the runs all felt good, but as a whole I clearly missed out on some of my usual easy running and ended up with too much of a similar effort, so maybe it's not surprising that I was tired by the weekend. It was totally accidental as I wasn't keeping tabs on what I was doing, but I'll make sure not to do let it happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I wouldn't be disheartened by your LSR at all. 16 miles is a long way. It's going to feel difficult. I found my first 16 miler tough, despite 6 or so k of it being downhill. No way could I have countenanced doing any miles at MP.

So, putting a different spin on it: you managed to finish your longest run to date despite it being tough; you incorporated four miles at MP; and you recovered really quickly from it so that your run the following day felt good.

Advertisement