Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster
    Exeter
    Saracens
    Racing
    Montpellier
    Glasgow
    Wasps
    Castres / Scarlets

Unless Munster get lucky on scheduling they aren’t getting out of that pool.

Wouldn't be sure of that. They'll win their home games, depends on what they can pick up on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Leinster
    Exeter
    Saracens
    Racing
    Montpellier
    Glasgow
    Wasps
    Castres / Scarlets

Unless Munster get lucky on scheduling they aren’t getting out of that pool.

https://goo.gl/images/LPXUU1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Wouldn't be sure of that. They'll win their home games, depends on what they can pick up on the road.
    They will get it hard to get anything off Exzeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

They will get it hard to get anything off Exzeder.

That's not a strategy I've heard discussed publicly before

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

That's not a strategy I've heard discussed publicly before

Just watch out for their openside, Dong Hardman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Because the other two Irish teams are better than all the other teams?

Nationality shouldn't come in to it it should be by the league they are coming from
    There will always be 2 pro14 teams in pot 4 so they should not be separated by country

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

roverjoyce wrote: »
    Nationality shouldn't come in to it it should be by the league they are coming from
    There will always be 2 pro14 teams in pot 4 so they should not be separated by country

Except that those are the rules as agreed by the unions and leagues when the competition was reorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It makes no commercial sense. The interpros in Pro14 are a cash cow. Having more interpros in Europe would cannibalise those attendances. A zero sum game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It makes no commercial sense. The interpros in Pro14 are a cash cow. Having more interpros in Europe would cannibalise those attendances. A zero sum game.

Making european knockouts is an even bigger cash cow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They should be split. It would alter league attendances which are some of the only league games that get any form of decent away support
    And its bad enough we have multiple sides from same country in 3 of the pools without opening up possibility of a fourth pool having sides from same nation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

You said it was unfair though, how do you think it amounts to being unfair?
    The quality of the teams in each pool are roughly even, so how unfair is it if Scarlets get Ulster instead of Blues, or Leinster get Bath instead of Ulster, or Munster get Gloucester instead of Ulster?

Also remember that Wales have 2 teams in it, Scotland have 2 teams in it, Ireland have 3 teams in it, whereas England have 7 teams in it and France have 6 teams in it.
    It makes sense to separate teams from a country with 2 or 3 teams in it, for both reasons of having some variety for the clubs and their supporters, and also so that it removes any possibility of two teams from the same country colluding on results.

Once the teams are of a similar quality there is no unfairness in separating Pro14 teams from the same country, and it’s simply not possible to separate the English and French clubs as there are 5 pools and minimum of 6 teams from those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It makes sense to separate teams from a country with 2 or 3 teams in it, for both reasons of having some variety for the clubs and their supporters, and also so that it removes any possibility of two teams from the same country colluding on results.

The variety argument doesn't really hold up. Because this rule means that in any season Leinster can play Glasgow or Scarlets 4 times in the league phases (twice in Pro14, twice in H-Cup) but only ever play an Irish province 2 times (twice in Pro14, 0 in HCup). That doesn't seem like positive variety for fans.

I don't think collusion is a big issue either - seeding for the knockouts is so important that no-ones going to give up a result just to get their fellow countrymen through.

Obviously I understand why they do it, I just think it's a shame that there's no chance of getting the epic ties that interpro back to back HCup group games would be.

The variety argument doesn't really hold up. Because this rule means that in any season Leinster can play Glasgow or Scarlets 4 times in the league phases (twice in Pro14, twice in H-Cup) but only ever play an Irish province 2 times (twice in Pro14, 0 in HCup). That doesn't seem like positive variety for fans.

I don't think collusion is a big issue either - seeding for the knockouts is so important that no-ones going to give up a result just to get their fellow countrymen through.

Obviously I understand why they do it, I just think it's a shame that there's no chance of getting the epic ties that interpro back to back HCup group games would be.

You said no to the reasons I mentioned by then said you obviously understand why they do it,
    Then what other reason is there?
    Is it so the interpros in the Pro14 won’t be devalued?

Anyway, they are all valid reasons, some hold more weight than others, but it’s certainly not unfair to split the teams from Ireland (or Wales or Scotland) which is what was being suggested.
    Do you think it’s unfair?

Another reason perhaps is that the unions don’t want to have a situation where they may have two teams in the one pool, and therefore reduce the chances that both would progress to knockouts, whereas if they were split up into different pools the union would have more of a chance of both of their teams progressing.

The variety reason does stand up if you think about it being a European cup, and the attraction for the sponsors and the supporters is having clubs playing teams from other countries that they don’t already play in their own league. It’s a big part of the draw for fans and therefore the sponsors.
    Your example was flawed also, the variety is that the team can play any team outside their country not just a team from the Pro14, so it still holds the possibility of the team being from England or France, which is positive variety as you called it.
    If it ends up being another Pro14 team then that’s just luck of the draw, but it’s still more of a draw to the regular fan than playing your fellow province.

And you say collusion wouldn’t be an issue, well think about it, what if Munster and Ulster were in the same group and one of the teams was already eliminated while the other needed a bonus point win in the last game to progress, would the IRFU put pressure on the eliminated team to field a weakened team and rest a few players? Or would you trust that Scotland or Wales wouldn’t do it either if they had the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Do you think it’s unfair?

I think it's fairly clear from my previous rambling post that I'm conflicted about it :P
    Ultimately I don't see the sense in being able to play Glasgow four times in league phase but only play say Munster twice. But also can see revenue reasons, player protections reasons, maximisation of chances of getting multiple teams through to 1/4 finals. Also any single country ties may not be attractive for sponsors and outside broadcasters either, BT and Sky like to build up the Country A v Country B rivalry aspect to fixtures.
    It is what it is, not a big deal really.

I think it's fairly clear from my previous rambling post that I'm conflicted about it :P
    Ultimately I don't see the sense in being able to play Glasgow four times in league phase but only play say Munster twice. But also can see revenue reasons, player protections reasons, maximisation of chances of getting multiple teams through to 1/4 finals. Also any single country ties may not be attractive for sponsors and outside broadcasters either, BT and Sky like to build up the Country A v Country B rivalry aspect to fixtures.
    It is what it is, not a big deal really.

Yes I agree there are probably a few reasons why they do it
    The point was that it isn’t unfair to the other teams.
    I also think it is a good spectacle to see Irish teams play against each other in Europe but just preferably not in the pool stages.
    And in the pro14 playoffs we often get Irish provinces playing off against each other too, so those derbies might get a bit too repetitive if also played in group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Because the other two Irish teams are better than all the other teams?

It may also be a consideration that the clubs in England and France are nervous about teams with the same owner (Irfu, WRU, SRU) colluding on results in a group to see a second team progress from a group.  This rule not only greatly reduces that possibility it also reduces the perception that it might happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Hadn't realised that Leo Cullen had left Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hadn't realised that Leo Cullen had left Leinster!

Leinster will be a British club next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The first fixtures for the Pool Stage will be released later this summer, around two weeks after the last fixture announcement of Europe’s three professional domestic leagues.
    https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status/1015533121251442688

The way the Pro14 are faffing about we wont get Champions Cup fixtures until September then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status/1015533121251442688

The way the Pro14 are faffing about we wont get Champions Cup fixtures until September then :pac:

To be fair, the Pro14 have to organise fixtures across 2 hemispheres, 5 countries (and therefore 5 Unions), a handful of TV stations and 14 teams. Compare that to the AP and Top 14. 1 hemisphere, 1 country (1 Union), 1 TV station and 12/14 teams. It's going to take longer as a result. There's not much anyone can do there really. Fixtures are due out the same time as last year apparently, which is the start of August. I'd expect the HEC fixtures in the third week of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

molloyjh wrote: »
    To be fair, the Pro14 have to organise fixtures across 2 hemispheres, 5 countries (and therefore 5 Unions), a handful of TV stations and 14 teams. Compare that to the AP and Top 14. 1 hemisphere, 1 country (1 Union), 1 TV station and 12/14 teams. It's going to take longer as a result. There's not much anyone can do there really. Fixtures are due out the same time as last year apparently, which is the start of August. I'd expect the HEC fixtures in the third week of August.

Pro14 Chief Executive said last week that the fixtures should be out the middle of this month, so in the next week or so!

acer911 wrote: »
    Pro14 Chief Executive said last week that the fixtures should be out the middle of this month, so in the next week or so!

Ah, maybe I'm getting confused on what was said so. Last year was late because of the expansion so that makes more sense. So we can expect the HEC fixtures to be announced at the end of July or start of August then. Good stuff.

The Headline Maker has done it again! Pocket change to him, but the points could make a big difference to Toulon.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0717/979344-toulon-president-boudjellal-hit-with-75k-fine/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    The Headline Maker has done it again! Pocket change to him, but the points could make a big difference to Toulon.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0717/979344-toulon-president-boudjellal-hit-with-75k-fine/

The points deduction is suspended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The points deduction is suspended.

Sure, but at least it might make him think about behaving for three years. From what I understand if he runs into trouble in the Top14 the EPCR penalty will kick in as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Finally some white smoke. Fixtures tomorrow at noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Finally some white smoke. Fixtures tomorrow at noon.

Well spotted - was just about to post a question about this. About time too.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/

Horrible layout....

Leinster have Bath in the back to backs. Ulster have Scarlets. Munster have Castres. Connacht have Perpignan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So TV3 are actually sharing their televised game with other free to air stations and will only have two games featuring the provinces (round 2 and 5). They're going to have shag all people tuning in to watch the likes of Bath vs Toulouse, Cardiff vs Saracens or Gloucester vs Exeter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure why TV3 agreed to that deal. They’ve litterally been saddled with taking someone else’s picks and two games with Irish involvement on one side. That’s a terrible deal for them.

Advertisement