Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well we could make her disappear...Saves the taxpayer 50k a year

No, I'm serious. People were protesting F*in Garth Brooks cancelled gigs yet we are getting rode for everything and anything and no one wants to say boo? There has to be something we as a collective can approach to make changes to ensure this welfare state waste of our tax money isn't continued.

Otherwise this is a simple bitch and moan thread, a pointless waste of time as it won't have changed anything. We have no right to moan if we are unwilling to push for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pegmatite wrote: »
    First thing we can do is cap childrens allowance.
    Second thing is offer proper sex education in school.
    Third thing we can do is get the state to start to build social housing again
    Fourth thing we can do is stop giving this emotional blackmail any airtime.

Fifth: no marriage before age 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Reati wrote: »
    OK, we've all had good whinge about it now and we rightly are screwed by this behaviour. What can actually do? We can't just complain on a forum and not do anything. There must be a list of items we can do and push back on this crap. Can people help me compile the list?

Some form of National Service needs to be brought in for school leavers!
    You should have to do some form of “work” for your dole payment and yes picking up rubbish IS a job. Go in to parts of West Tallaght and Clondalkin and see the filth that is thrown around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Someone else raised a point here.

Look at the coverage this is getting in Examiner, Irish Times, Indo, Mirror, The Sun and on RTE, Newstalk

Not one of the written articles has bothered to question why a 28 year old woman has 6 kids in this day and age.
    And all the time whilst she claims she was on the housing last for the last 11 years she has also continued to have children, 5 by my estimate.

This morning/afternoon I heard on the radio some of the usual well paid gobshytes actually lambast people for questioning the amount of kids and gloss over that point when it was made.

Now one of those gobshytes on radio this morning was none other than Mirriam O'Callaghan who I suppose would consider 6 or 7 to be a small family.
    But at least in her case the Dads didn't fook off and get themselves thrown into jail nor did she totally sponge off the taxpayers.

Note the word totally folks because her fancy remuneration package is thanks to the taxpayers if one analyses it.
    But being fair unlike this bent in Tallaght she did actually do a bit of work for her taxpayer funding.

Ordinary people who work hard, scrimp and save are getting more and more pi**ed off the more of these cases that come to light.

Of course the media are doing their fooking damnedest to hide the real truth, but a bit like that "poor" elderly couple turfed out of their home in Dalkey a number of years ago that they championed, the truth will come out.

And hopefully it will make ordinary people more and more disillusioned and cynical with the system and ultimately help end the charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

OK, we've all had good whinge about it now and we rightly are screwed by this behaviour. What can actually do? We can't just complain on a forum and not do anything. There must be a list of items we can do and push back on this crap. Can people help me compile the list?

If you ever read freakonomics the solution will come in 10-20 years. The ball is in motion now with abortion legalized and the lack of social housing. The masses will see that just because you have kids doesn't mean you are entitled to housing and a free ride.

• Advertisement

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    She's made her FB page private now I see... She doesn't want Joe public seeing what she gets up to for entertainment.

She was advised on Radio earlier to make her page private!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be honest it's hard to know what to do.
    It seems like a cycle people are stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Who advised her?

Hang on wait, can you get married in Ireland if you are under 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Sundew wrote: »
    Some form of National Service needs to be brought in for school leavers!
    You should have to do some form of “work” for your dole payment and yes picking up rubbish IS a job. Go in to parts of West Tallaght and Clondalkin and see the filth that is thrown around the place.

I strongly agree with this. If you go straight from secondary school to dole you need to go into the Defence forces. They are short of manpower.

There should be a window to get a job or trade or else Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can get married younger if your a traveler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Gatling wrote: »
    You can get married younger if your a traveler

With permission from the County Registrar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Posts of bottles of cans and naggins, bragging about going on a sesh, extravagant communion dresses, fake tans, buying Waterford crystal, saying she got a new house 3 weeks ago for starters.

Don't forget the the sunbed sessions she managed to fit in 2 days in a row.

To the person recommending national service, we already have community work schemes. They are useless.

If I am honest, during downturn I was unemployed for the best part of 18 months. And the social services where awful to deal with. I remember going to four mandated meetings that where designed for early school leavers. I have a masters degree. I was also sent for a intership in an office, to "Learn how offices work". I have a couple of years experience working in an office before being made unemployed.

Is dropping a few sprogs the way to shortcut the social welfare system. You just show up to FAS or what ever its called now with a few small kids hanging out of you and they send you on your way. No hoops to jump through, just here is a house, and a small fortune. Best of luck, keep popping those babies out.

Who advised her?
    some guy on 98FM I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Haven't read through the thread but this was spreading like wildfire across my Facebook so here's my rant.

She can go f*ck herself, she's been outed with buying ridiculous things, buying a heap load of beer, puts up on Facebook that she was actually offered a house? (not too sure what the story with how that ended up), has bucket loads of kids and carries on like this?

I work full-time. My partner works full time, we just had a baby girl and we had to move back to my parent's house purely because we cannot afford to pay 1200+ a month in rent along with other bills and stuff. We're actively searching for a house to buy and we've been let down (outbidded pure and simple - that's okay) numerous times. We both work to the bloody bone in our jobs, we both are very frugal so we can save as much as humanly possible to give us even more of a chance of getting a house.

I hear stories like this woman's and I have just lost sympathy. It's a struggle to raise one child (depending on your financial situation of course) let alone 6 or f*cking 7. I'm sick and tired of working the bollocks off myself in my job, stressing out over raising a child, stressing over finding a home that I can buy, not leech off the system like so many of these absolute pity-me and me circumstances I just want a home is all but that home has to be close to me mammy and me daddy and me friends and me family.

F*ck off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I think you can't but some go to the north where the age is younger.

So a county registrar can allow minors to get married. How young can they be.
    That is insane. I find it really hard to believe.

And who and what are county registrars?

Cap children's allowance
    Reduce social welfare by incremental amounts per year depending on how long you've been availing.

Illegal activity reduces or excludes you from welfare

Instead of a additional welfare, items like basic tv, landline and utilities will be provided in lieu of full entitlement.

Haven't thought these through but some starter points

• Advertisement

To the person recommending national service, we already have community work schemes. They are useless.

If I am honest, during downturn I was unemployed for the best part of 18 months. And the social services where awful to deal with.

Community Work Schemes need to be overhauled. Worked on 2 schemes in Dublin over 20 years ago between college and getting permanent employment. One was a bit of a joke, the other was a more serious springboard for people who worked on it. Also had to deal with Social Welfare......@ssholes and this is from somebody who has a good mate who worked in SW. I still stand by National Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

jmayo wrote: »
    Now one of those gobshytes on radio this morning was none other than Mirriam O'Callaghan who I suppose would consider 6 or 7 to be a small family.
    But at least in her case the Dads didn't fook off and get themselves thrown into jail nor did she totally sponge off the taxpayers.

Well actually...

Haven't read through the thread but this was spreading like wildfire across my Facebook so here's my rant.

She can go f*ck herself, she's been outed with buying ridiculous things, buying a heap load of beer, puts up on Facebook that she was actually offered a house? (not too sure what the story with how that ended up), has bucket loads of kids and carries on like this?

I work full-time. My partner works full time, we just had a baby girl and we had to move back to my parent's house purely because we cannot afford to pay 1200+ a month in rent along with other bills and stuff. We're actively searching for a house to buy and we've been let down (outbidded pure and simple - that's okay) numerous times. We both work to the bloody bone in our jobs, we both are very frugal so we can save as much as humanly possible to give us even more of a chance of getting a house.

I hear stories like this woman's and I have just lost sympathy. It's a struggle to raise one child (depending on your financial situation of course) let alone 6 or f*cking 7. I'm sick and tired of working the bollocks off myself in my job, stressing out over raising a child, stressing over finding a home that I can buy, not leech off the system like so many of these absolute pity-me and me circumstances I just want a home is all but that home has to be close to me mammy and me daddy and me friends and me family.

F*ck off.

DITTO!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So a county registrar can allow minors to get married. How young can they be.
    That is insane. I find it really hard to believe.

And who and what are county registrars?

It's a cultural issue

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When my parents got married lots of people lived with their parents for a bit or even had a baby their.
    Some saved for a house and those who got offered a council house jumped through hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

To be honest it's hard to know what to do.
    It seems like a cycle people are stuck in.

The solutions are simple like with a lot of other things happening in our world today.

You take away the incentives.

Now of course there will be gnashing of teeth from the usual dogooder ar**es, with cr** about people's upbringing, think of the children, etc.

For starters children's allowance should be severely tapered the more children one has.
    Also fathers should be held responsible.
    None of this shyte where daddy disappears or shacks up with someone else and on the dole, and leaves woman somewhere with load of kids.
    You help create them you help pay for them.

Also longterm people should be weened off dole.
    Fair enough that disabled or ill people are on welfare long term, but anyone out of work long term doesn't deserve to stay on same dole forever.
    The dole should be there to help people over a rough patch not as a career.
    And the welfare is not there to provide someone with things that other people go out and work for such as newest phones, satellite TV subscriptions, netflex, fancy TVs, fancy expensive family events.

The dole is there to keep you basically fed and clothed.
    Note I didn't include allowing one to spend the weekend going between the boozer and the bookies.

Also if one is on dole over a period of time then they should have to carry out some local community service.
    Failure to do so results in removal of dole.

Oh and before the usual nobs start lambasting me about just hitting those on welfare, I would hugely increase welfare for people like the carers of elderly and long term ill.
    They do a hard often thankless task and ultimately save the state millions in medical care.

And they never have any fooker speaking up for them unlike that fooking leech in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Having all these kids wasn't an accident, all those single mothers have kids in first place to get themselves a house, the more you have the better your chance of getting a place.

It's been like a that hell of a long time.

Didn’t Kevin Myers say something similar in the Irish Times years ago, and he lost his job?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-myers-tackled-the-single-mothers-issue-and-became-a-national-hate-figure-26204705.html

No doubt, all the liberal lefties in the media are taking their cues and avoiding asking some obvious questions!

A few years ago the Goverment had a great scheme to wean folks off welfare at the start of the Celtic Tiger. You could keep your welfare payment as well as your wages when you started a new job. Gradually it was reduced over the years, that needs to be brought back.think you had to be unemployed for a certain amount of time...can’t remember the exact details.

Think it was the back to work enterprise allowance or something similar.

I think you can't but some go to the north where the age is younger.

Age 18 – unless you have a Court Exemption Order
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_at_what_age_can_i.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Welfare should be paid as a percentage of your last jobs wages, reducing over time. If you haven't ever worked it should be basic food stamps and the social on your case until you get a job.

Giving birth is a choice. If you choose to have a child, you pay for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement