Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

System needs to change.any long term Doley needs to be put out doing community service picking rubbish from the ditches.free money for sitting at home scratching their ball bags is a fukn joke. They should be some use to society.i know plenty ditches and beaches that need cleaning.shove the doleys out there in the rain picking rubbish.a few months of that might encourage a work ethic in them.leaving them at home to scratch and breed definitely isn't working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Someone on the net did a summary of the cash in that gaff:
    Job seekers/Unemployment (X2) – €193 per week
    Child benefit (x7) – €140 per month
    Rent allowance (capped) – 1,175 per month
    Fuel allowance (27 weeks x €22.50) – €608 pa
    Back to school – €1,250 pa
    Qualified child allowance – €223 per week
    Christmas Bonus – €358 pa

TOTAL = €54,200!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

System needs to change.any long term Doley needs to be put out doing community service picking rubbish from the ditches.free money for sitting at home scratching their ball bags is a fukn joke. They should be some use to society.i know plenty ditches and beaches that need cleaning.shove the doleys out there in the rain picking rubbish.a few months of that might encourage a work ethic in them.leaving them at home to scratch and breed definitely isn't working

What if they have sex on the beach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

eviltwin wrote: »
    Evidence of what

That 60% of people in emergency accommodation are employed.

• Advertisement

What if they have sex on the beach?

Probably one of the cocktails imbibed on their many holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That 60% of people in emergency accommodation are employed.

I didn't claim that, I said that was the situation in the service I work for. I wouldn't speak for other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If a person works 5 days a week and still homeless my heart bleeds for them. No person who works hard should have to worry about a home. They should be given top priority no question about it.

However this case is not like that. This is a person who wants to party and get pissed and expects free house. No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

eviltwin wrote: »
    I didn't claim that, I said that was the situation in the service I work for. I wouldn't speak for other services.

Ok have you a link for the one you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

seamus wrote: »
    Invest in improving the ****ty people now, and the ones they breed might have a chance. Which, unfortunately means swallowing a bitter pill now where a layabout with ten kids gets a free gaff, but the end result should be in future to have ten functioning, contributing adults. Assuming it's done with that end result in mind and not just to sweep her under the carpet and shut her up.

I don't think anyone could or should argue against this point, something needs to be done to break the cycle. However, if a certain practice is clearly not effective, it should be stopped immediately.

The first link to an area for social housing should be employment, not someone's ma's address. Where's the support network for a couple from Mayo and Waterford living in Offaly commuting to Dublin? What makes Margaret Cash so special, it's not like her support network are doing anything tangible for her at her time of need.

House them, but not on the basis of permanent tenure and with no veto on the basis of proximity to family, schools, anything other than employment, continuous employment for one or more parent. You say they don't benefit from the same education as the rest of us, fair enough, but they're not stupid, they're very adept at maximising their situation, they play every system at their disposal.

Make the system requirement for housing in a chosen location to be continuous employment, incentivise employers at least in the short term because many are hard workers it's just that benefits are tied to unemployment.

It'll probably take a generation or two but employment will become the norm and incentives for employers will no longer be needed and maybe you can break the cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Now. Sub in how much someone actually working would have to earn to come out with that figure after tax, PRSI and USC. Maybe what 120k a year?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Now. Sub in how much someone actually working would have to earn to come out with that figure after tax, PRSI and USC. Maybe what 120k a year?

Easy six figures, yeah. Utterly ridiculous that is handed over for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If a person works 5 days a week and still homeless my heart bleeds for them. No person who works hard should have to worry about a home. They should be given top priority no question about it.

However this case is not like that. This is a person who wants to party and get pissed and expects free house. No!

Never went to school, never worked and was looking for state assistance from age 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nice commas!

I've heard those AAA/PBP numpties actually phrase the handouts in that way "money earned through jobseekers" etc.

Usually around budget time where their wad goes up and we look at the 37c a week tax cut.

Same muppets usually spouting the same fallacy that 'everyone pays tax because VAT dur dur...'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

TOTAL = €54,200!!

and there is the exact reason this country is in a heap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Easy six figures, yeah. Utterly ridiculous that is handed over for nothing.

It's actually discusting if you ask me, that you'll raid hard working tax payers to fund this type of stuff. And it's seen as free money and entitlement on there part. Yet I would love to know what that person has inputted to society, even at a level of volunteering. My guess is nothing at all.

All that she is and I leave out her children cause they done nothing in this situation, however she is a 50k ****ing drain on society end of story. The father's should be tracked down and made pay for there children.

Same muppets usually spouting the same fallacy that 'everyone pays tax because VAT dur dur...'

God that is one that annoys me!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yanker

It’s clear that this woman, and many thousands like her here, feel entitled to live in a good lifestyle paid for by the rest of us. The current Irish welfare system fully supports her conclusion.

Some of the rest of us think that the system is not generous enough for those that really need it while acknowledging that there are freeloaders and that’s just too bad.

And there are others who think the welfare system is too generous and if it means a few kids go hungry or barefoot that’s too bad, they should have been smart enough to be born to better parents.

Maybe a return to something like the old system of indoor and outdoor relief might split the difference?

You’ve been a contributor to society and have fallen on hard times through job loss or illness? The housing market really is out of control! Here’s a cash transfer. Best of luck and we’re all here for you.

You’ve seven kids and neither you nor the father have ever worked and you spent the last of your enormous dole money on drink? You and all your children are very welcome to our new 21st century workhouse. We’re going to do our best to educate your children so they won’t make the same mistakes.

Yanker wrote: »
    It’s clear that this woman, and many thousands like her here, feel entitled to live in a good lifestyle paid for by the rest of us. The current Irish welfare system fully supports her conclusion.

Some of the rest of us think that the system is not generous enough for those that really need it while acknowledging that there are freeloaders and that’s just too bad.

And there are others who think the welfare system is too generous and if it means a few kids go hungry or barefoot that’s too bad, they should have been smart enough to be born to better parents.

Maybe a return to something like the old system of indoor and outdoor relief might split the difference?

You’ve been a contributor to society and have fallen on hard times through job loss or illness? The housing market really is out of control! Here’s a cash transfer. Best of luck and we’re all here for you.

You’ve seven kids and neither you nor the father have ever worked and you spent the last of your enormous dole money on drink? You and all your children are very welcome to our new 21st century workhouse. We’re going to do our best to educate your children so they won’t make the same mistakes.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

TallGlass wrote:
    All that she is and I leave out her children cause they done nothing in this situation, however she is a 50k ****ing drain on society end of story. The father's should be tracked down and made pay for there children.

There's no tracking him down. He's in wheatfield prison. We know exactly where he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

TallGlass wrote:

There's no tracking him down. He's in wheatfield prison. We know exactly where he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

TOTAL = €54,200!!

These numbers can't be real. 1000 euro a week tax free? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Whats fair about it?, aside from the fact that if you're paying a mortgage the bank owns the house and you're being taxed on something you're getting no income from.
    Whether you paid 100k or 700k for the house you shouldn't be taxed. I have no problem with taxing people on something they're making money from but not their 4 walls!

It's an asset, the existence and value of which depends entirely on state-provided services. A few hundred euro a year is frankly a bargain.

Reati wrote: »

Sadly all too true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Reati wrote: »

add on the cost to the state of the husband in prison and the chances that 3 of the kids will serve prison time at some stage of their lives (CSO figures about traveller criminality) and the massive cost of prosecuting them.

What a wonderful family and a very very rich history of crime on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

CeilingFly wrote: »
    add on the cost to the state of the husband in prison and the chances that 3 of the kids will serve prison time at some stage of their lives (CSO figures about traveller criminality) and the massive cost of prosecuting them.

What a wonderful family and a very very rich history of crime on both sides

The sad thing is we need to help the kids right now or there is a good chance they will get into trouble and it will cost society more.

But I have no idea how best to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Remove the kids from her. Thats the only chance they have at a decent life.

And sterilise her

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

TOTAL = €54,200!!

Ah here,is this for real..seriously like..That's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It's an asset, the existence and value of which depends entirely on state-provided services. A few hundred euro a year is frankly a bargain.

What state services provide to the existence and value of a house?.
    Does the tax I pay not cover any state-provided services I receive?

Anyway so I'm going off topic so I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

And sterilise her

And track the fathers down and sterilise them also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement