Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Sophie Toscan du Plantier, is one of them; the police don't seem able to do any better than to choose a suspect and cling to their theory. But actually, there is no evidence of any kind, pointing to one person or another or any person at all.
    One smudged footprint that was a mere impression in tussocky grass, and that's it.

Annie Mc Carrick? Jojo Dollard?

and the disappearance of Trevor Deely...though a dim picture may be hazily forming of what really may have happened there

and the perplexing case of a missing child, Philip Cairns.

Explain re trevor deely. I dont think amyone has a clue.

Jojo deirdre Jacob and Annie McCarrick more than likely came to harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

How will it? He's dead. Everyone that lived back then are dead. Was some of it over exaggerated and sensationalised? Probably.

The exact number of victims is up in the air, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The thing about 'Jack the Ripper' is that for a serial killer he committed
    relatively few murders. And then stopped - either died or moved away. There was
    no forensic methodology at the time so when he got away with his five murders
    without being witnessed (and had no ties to the victims) there wasn't much chance of him being caught subsequently.

In the case of Adult missing persons can they even be classified as crimes? How do we know they didnt just leave of their own will?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mary Boyle, Cashelard, Co. Donegal. 6 year old who went missing in 1977.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »

Part of the anguish is it would seem very solvable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

redblaze wrote: »
    ... Or a crime still left in doubt?

The Meredith Kercher/Amanda Knox case

Rudy Guede seems pretty good for that murder - does anyone actually believe Amanda Knox is guilty anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

D. B. Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

No mystery there..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Father Niall Molloy,

Philip Cairns.

Sophie in Cork.

Tina Satchwell.

So many.....

• Advertisement

Bernadette Connolly, 1970, is one of the forgotten disappearances/murders in Ireland.

Father Molloy is not so much a mystery as a tragic indictment of what a corrupt little country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

tupenny wrote: »
    No mystery there..

Its pretty obvious who was behind it, but the subsequent cover-up (allegedly) is what makes it such a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That isn’t a mystery. Neither is the Fr. Niall Molloy case.

FF - one strange organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Explain re trevor deely. I dont think amyone has a clue.

Jojo deirdre Jacob and Annie McCarrick more than likely came to harm.

This time last year the guards were excavating the site in chapelizod for t deely investigation however nothing was found as far as I know :(

This time last year the guards were excavating the site in chapelizod for t deely investigation however nothing was found as far as I know :(

Certainly looked like a wild goose chase.

The cases that some say are not a mystery, well they are, because no one knows what happened. Speculation is rife, as is gossip, but nothing has been said in public. So mystery abounds.

I suppose when the alleged perps are dead we will find out. Cannot libel the dead.

The cases that some say are not a mystery, well they are, because no one knows what happened. Speculation is rife, as is gossip, but nothing has been said in public. So mystery abounds.

I suppose when the alleged perps are dead we will find out. Cannot libel the dead.

Sorry, It wasn't my intention to contradict you on the Molloy case. I was just
    adding my tuppence that the dishonesty and corruption of the Gardaí, Judiciary, Medical Profession, Priests and other 'pillars' of society was blatantly manifest.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Sorry, It wasn't my intention to contradict you on the Molloy case. I was just
    adding my tuppence that the dishonesty and corruption of the GardaJudiciary, Medical Profession, Priests and other 'pillars' of society was blatantly manifest.

No problem, I wasn't referring to you at all. Just in general, but I agree with you all the same, but no one can say anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Conor and Sheila Dwyer, married couple in their 60s disappeared from Fermoy in 1991. Last seen at a funeral. Not reported missing for nearly a month. All their possessions, passports and cash were at their house, only their car was missing. No trace since. That one always stuck with me because it seemed so unusual when I first heard about it.

Highway 16 murders in Canada. A huge number of disappearances and murders of women in their teens or early twenties, mostly of Canadian First Nations descent, between 1969-2011. The region is extremely poor and hitchhiking is a common method of getting around. Only 1 murder has been solved to date. The route is now nicknamed 'Highway of tears'

The Zodiac killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Certainly looked like a wild goose chase.

I think for me what is interesting about Trevor's is that there is enoght evidence but not enoght at the same time or more so what is there doesn't give out much as to what happened.

As for the excavation. Seems a little bizzare, why his name why not someone else, not someone more recent. Just a strange thing to lead Garda on a wild goose chase about if you ask me.

European, would be the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

International, maybe JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

and the disappearance of Trevor Deely...though a dim picture may be hazily forming of what really may have happened there

Any articles written on this or any more info about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Natalie Wood. I reckon Robert Wagner pushed her into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When I was a child, my uncle stole my nose.

He later replaced it when I wasn't looking

How he did it has never been solved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FatherTed wrote: »
    Natalie Wood. I reckon Robert Wagner pushed her into the water.

I'd always thought that was more a case of a lover's quarrel, she tried to take the dinghy and head back to shore and fell in (the medication found in her bloodstream would have exacerbated the low level of alcohol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Father Molloy is not so much a mystery as a tragic indictment of what a corrupt little country we live in.

What is the TLDR on that case?

Go on ...

• Advertisement

I recently watched a YouTube theory vid that the Dyatlov Pass team's stove caught fire and the smoke and fumes were so severe that they exited the tent the opposite side due to this. A melted stove was found at the site. Seems the most plausible to me.

Their footsteps to the forest were not in the pattern of running. Then someone was likely keeping a lookout from the tree to see whether the smoke had subsided but too much time passed and the first to succumb to hypothermia were left at the forest, their teammates took their clothes to try and avoid the same fate, but to no avail.

The punch mark on the guy's face could just have been due to a fight with another team member (pretty tense and stressful situation) and the injuries found on those with clothes are consistent with packed snow piling on them over days and days.

Wild animals could have bitten off the tongues, and two of the guys worked at a radiation plant - only their clothing had radioactive elements on them.
    I think you just solved one of the greatest mysteries ever. Well done.

Advertisement