Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Stone Age, Hunter Gatherers built the Pyramids. Fair play to them. They must
    have had help from aliens.
    As Are Am Eye notes they were built as an extension of a couple of thousand years of farming and the civilisation and extra food that provided. They weren't Stone Age, nor where they hunter gatherers. They were Bronze Age though, which is one helluva feat for those times. The low grade bronze, more like copper chisels they used to remove and shape the blocks needed constant sharpening by a dedicated team of chisel sharpeners working behind the men doing the chiselling.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Yesterday, I was listening to the latest episode of Thinking Sideways. Although this happened right here in Ireland, I'd honestly never heard of it. A postman vanished on Christmas Day 1929 (post delivered on Christmas Day???); no body, no nothing. Just an abandoned bicycle. TS aren't always that reliable and usually rely on the most basic of Google searches. But still worth a listen, if you're interested.

The Missing Postman of Stradbally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

dubstarr wrote: »
    How on earth did authorities decide that a toddler looked like a one day old baby? That's insane. I know what I look like but if I was presented with 100 pictures of similar looking one day old babies, I don't think I'd be able to pick out which one is me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

The recent Delphi murder case is chilling and still without the killer being found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Abigail_Williams_and_Liberty_German

Watching the parents on Dr. Phil, its heart breaking,
    The area was very busy with kids the same age out walking that day, a popular trail frequented by all ages, according to the locals interviewed as well.

Murderer photographed and voice recorded, and a man fitting the description spotted leaving the area by other walkers, still not identified.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Crop Circles explained.

Crop Circles explained.
    I remember seeing a documentary years ago and it turned out it was two older men using a plank of wood with a rope tied to each end. They would stand with one leg at one end and swing the plank around flattening the wheat. They demonstrated how they could make massive circles in a relatively short space of time. One of the guys had to come clean to his wife because she saw he was clocking up a lot of mileage on his car and thought he was having an affair. They basically did it for the lolz. I couldn't find the original documentary I saw but this guy on YouTube explains it pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I'm not certain how things panned out in Ireland, but in Britain crop circles stopped appearing completely during the foot and mouth crisis. Now, either the aliens respected the UK's nationwide rural exclusion zones or the humans making them simply couldn't access the crop fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Yesterday, I was listening to the latest episode of Thinking Sideways. Although this happened right here in Ireland, I'd honestly never heard of it. A postman vanished on Christmas Day 1929 (post delivered on Christmas Day???); no body, no nothing. Just an abandoned bicycle. TS aren't always that reliable and usually rely on the most basic of Google searches. But still worth a listen, if you're interested.

The Missing Postman of Stradbally.

Post was delivered on Christmas Day in Ireland until 1937 and in Britain until some time in the 50's .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Probably mentioned already but "DB Cooper" is interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper?wprov=sfla1

A guy who hijacked a plane and parachuted out the back with a briefcase of money, never to be seen again.

Only case of unsolved air piracy apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

The Taman Shud case is fascinating.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

9/11 - it’s a mystery how the twin towers collapsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:I've Just deleted a few off topic posts. Plenty of space elsewhere to discuss your political theories, this thread is not here for that so if you could be so kind as to leave them at the door.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Who was Jack the Ripper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Who was Jack the Ripper?

Or were there Jack the Rippers, four victims or eight?
    https://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Ipso wrote: »
    Or were there Jack the Rippers, four victims or eight?
    https://forum.casebook.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

The plot thickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Ive just finished reading the book the Jungle by Yossi Ghinsberg.

Intrigued what happened to Marcus Stamm and the guide Karl Ruprechter

Seems legit :pac:
    Using codes that only Rackstraw would have known, Sherwood honed in on two sentences for analysis. The first sentence, “I want out of the system and saw a way through good ole Unk,” was decoded to, “I want out of the system and saw a way by skyjacking a jet plane.” And the second sentence, “And please tell the lackey cops D.B. Cooper is not my real name,” was decoded to “I am 1st Lt. Robert Rackstraw, D.B. Cooper is not my real name.”

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AlphaOmega1

Murder of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier in west cork in 1996. Was it Ian Bailey? The french are going to try him in absentia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

... Or a crime still left in doubt?

Ireland's Vanishing Triangle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%27s_Vanishing_Triangle

The murder of Jill Dando (ordered by Jimmy Saville is the latest conspiracy theory)

The disappearance of Madeline McCann

The Meredith Kercher/Amanda Knox case

The disappearance of Amy Fitzpatrick http://www.thejournal.ie/amy-fitzpatrick-missing-ten-years-3744019-Dec2017/

And more besides.

For me, it's the Madeline McCann case that seems to have so much doubt around it that I think I've seen 90% of any documentaries made on it. There's just so much mystery and dodginess around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For me it would be the JonBenet Ramsey case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

redblaze wrote: »
    For me, it's the Madeline McCann case that seems to have so much doubt around it that I think I've seen 90% of any documentaries made on it. There's just so much mystery and dodginess around it.

The magic ingredient that made that one was just how downright shifty Gerry looked. Without him, it was just another tragic missing child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

For me it would be JonBenet Ramsey.

Most think the brother did it and the parents covered it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Sophie Toscan du Plantier I recently listened to the audiobook west Cork very intriguing what ever happened the poor woman.

Yes Madeline McCann is a huge mystery too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

redblaze wrote: »
    ... Or a crime still left in doubt?

Ireland's Vanishing Triangle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%27s_Vanishing_Triangle

The murder of Jill Dando (ordered by Jimmy Saville is the latest conspiracy theory)

The disappearance of Madeline McCann

The Meredith Kercher/Amanda Knox case

The disappearance of Amy Fitzpatrick http://www.thejournal.ie/amy-fitzpatrick-missing-ten-years-3744019-Dec2017/

And more besides.

Id say with Maddie id be looking at the parents still. Something really doesnt add up there.

Sophie Toscan du Plantier I recently listened to the audiobook west Cork very intriguing what ever happened the poor woman.

Yes Madeline McCann is a huge mystery too

Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Jack the Ripper. Will it ever be solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sophie Toscan du Plantier, is one of them; the police don't seem able to do any better than to choose a suspect and cling to their theory. But actually, there is no evidence of any kind, pointing to one person or another or any person at all.
    One smudged footprint that was a mere impression in tussocky grass, and that's it.

Annie Mc Carrick? Jojo Dollard?

and the disappearance of Trevor Deely...though a dim picture may be hazily forming of what really may have happened there

and the perplexing case of a missing child, Philip Cairns.

• Advertisement

Jack the Ripper. Will it ever be solved?

How will it? He's dead. Everyone that lived back then are dead. Was some of it over exaggerated and sensationalised? Probably.

Advertisement