Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

He and I were both referring to the Linzden video Peterson retweeted that 20 Cent originally posted up.

What do I need to watch the video for? Like most people on this forum, I have no idea about climate change

I've no idea about climate change but I'll try and educate myself about the arguments and counter arguments set forward. Your standard default seems to be that the consensus must be wrong, especially if it has champions on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

kubjones wrote: »

My favourite part of whatever you write is the confidence that whatever sequence of words you're putting together actually means anything.

I follow Peterson. I also follow Slavoj Žižek. Both have fairly contrasting opinions and different ideas, but I would argue that when they make a good point or argument that there is a good point or argument in there.

The fact is that its a very small minority that disregard the man as a "whackjob", when the fella has put out more than 500 hours of his material on the web, not to mention the countless interviews he has done.

Surely that's enough of a litmus test of whether the man is worth listening to? Say, over some smug random on a small forum for boomers?

Does any of that suggest Peterson is worth listening to on climate science? Even when he didn’t give an opinion on the video one way or the other except saying it would wind up t’other side?

Poor show old bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kubjones

Does any of that suggest Peterson is worth listening to on climate science?

Where did I say climate science?
    Even when he didn’t give an opinion on the video one way or the other except saying it would wind up t’other side?

What about that is he wrong about?

Does any of that suggest Peterson is worth listening to on climate science?

Where did I say climate science?
    Even when he didn’t give an opinion on the video one way or the other except saying it would wind up t’other side?

What about that is he wrong about?

I’ve been talk about the climate video he linked to. You said you’ve concluded he’s worth listening to, so I asked you whether he’s worth listening to on climate science. Simple enough question tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

I've no idea about climate change but I'll try and educate myself about the arguments and counter arguments set forward. Your standard default seems to be that the consensus must be wrong, especially if it has champions on the left.

I'm not saying it's wrong. The problem with the alarmists is they treat the whole thing as a sort of tribal battle where anyone who dares question them is evil and needs to be shut down. I don't like groupthink on any topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The majority of doctors tend to be right about the field of medicine.
    The majority of solicitors tend to be right about their area of the law.
    The majority of accountants tend to be right about accounting.

See the pattern?

The majority of people in the 17th century thought slavery was also OK.
    The majority of the jury in the OJ Simpson murder trial thought he was not guilty.
    The majority of the people of Ireland passed the 8th amendment in 1983

See the pattern?

The majority at any one point of time does not mean they are correct over time.

Oh and that video, nowhere did that professor state that the climate is not changing, nor that there is zero influence by man on the climate, but the debate is, what is the influence and are there other multi-varied factors involved?

To me the debate is not that the climate is not changing, it clearly is but how are humans changing it and to what overall extent?

I’ve been talk about the climate video he linked to. You said you’ve concluded he’s worth listening to, so I asked you whether he’s worth listening to on climate science. Simple enough question tbh.

He didn't talk about climate science. What are you trying to insinuate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It was the general consensus among doctors that it was a good drug to treat morning sickness.

It was great at treating morning sickness. They weren't wrong.

The data did not exist on how it effected a fetus's development though. Once that data did exist, the consensus was that it should no longer be used to treat morning sickness.

The data currently exists on man made climate change. So a consensus can be trusted.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I’m following on from your conclusion that Peterson is worth listening to. Peterson posted a video about climate science. I’m asking a follow up question about whether you think it’s worth listening to Peterson on climate science. Really simple stuff.

• Advertisement

Do you think he is endorsing the point of view put forward in the video by retweeting it with the tagline 'Something for the anticapitalist environmentalists to hate'

I’m following on from your conclusion that Peterson is worth listening to. Peterson posted a video about climate science. I’m asking a follow up question about whether you think it’s worth listening to Peterson on climate science. Really simple stuff.

Peterson is worth listening to.

When he said that video would enough left wing people, he was right.

I'm taking from it exactly what the text implied.

Do you think he is endorsing the point of view put forward in the video by retweeting it with the tagline 'Something for the anticapitalist environmentalists to hate'

I think he’s being super careful not to actively endorse it. That’s a big part of his schtick. His followers take the implication he intends but he’s free to say he didn’t actually endorse it (precise language and all that guff)

Nicely dodged tbf.

Nicely dodged tbf.

Implication is the theme.

I hope you're having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

markodaly wrote: »
    The majority of people in the 17th century thought slavery was also OK.
    The majority of the jury in the OJ Simpson murder trial thought he was not guilty.
    The majority of the people of Ireland passed the 8th amendment in 1983

See the pattern?

I see the pattern there but in neither case are experts making a decision on their field of expertise. All you have managed to demonstrate is that average joes can be pretty dim. I can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think he’s being super careful not to actively endorse it. That’s a big part of his schtick. His followers take the implication he intends but he’s free to say he didn’t actually endorse it (precise language and all that guff)

You've hit the nail on the head. He hints at stuff and then when challenged says "well, I never said I support whatever". It's just dog-whistling.

Nicely dodged tbf.

Implication is the theme.

I hope you're having fun.

Word salad.

On a completely unrelated point, would you think Peterson is worth listening to on climate science? If he were to post a link to a climate scientist on his Twitter for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I was led to believe that Peterson is a respected academic, a person of standing in his field.

Is that the kind of thing you expect from a respected academic - posting things on twitter simply to annoy left-wing people?

It seems extraordinarily juvenile to me.

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was led to believe that Peterson is a respected academic, a person of standing in his field.

Is that the kind of thing you expect from a respected academic - posting things on twitter simply to annoy left-wing people?

It seems extraordinarily juvenile to me.

If your character was being attacked for fairly tame, centrist views, with disinformation regularly being spread about you while ignoring your central Thesis, would you not take part in a little bunting when you could also?
    (Not that I understand what he might have meant by sharing it and disagree with the point of the video, more so touching on the act of sharing the video.)
    Word salad.

Just because you don't get the point doesn't mean the point isn't there.
    Would you think Peterson is worth listening to on climate science?

It would depend on how he framed it and it would depend on the context. There's a lot to talk about when it comes to climate science.

• Advertisement

If your character was being attacked for fairly tame, centrist views, with disinformation regularly being spread about you while ignoring your central Thesis, would you not take part in a little bunting when you could also?
    (Not that I understand what he might have meant by sharing it and disagree with the point of the video, more so touching on the act of sharing the video.)

Just because you don't get the point doesn't mean the point isn't there.

It would depend on how he framed it and it would depend on the context. There's a lot to talk about when it comes to climate science.

Well if he wants people to continue to believe that he is a person worthy of respect and not a snakeoil merchant and spreader of quack science, it's probably not a good idea for him to use his newfound fame to spread quack science.

Well if he wants people to continue to believe that he is a person worthy of respect and not a snakeoil merchant and spreader of quack science, it's probably not a good idea for him to use his newfound fame to spread quack science.
    Ah but sure this is it. He isn’t concerned with that stuff. He’s selling his content to those who might want to buy it.

I doubt some light banter is going to upend his entire following. The people that are against him are so vehemently against him it doesn't really matter what he does to provoke them.

Ah but sure this is it. He isn’t concerned with that stuff. He’s selling his content to those who might want to buy it.

I know, its just fun to see his committed fans try to justify these things when it is patently obvious that he is just spreading his appeal to as wide a base as possible before his 5 minutes in the spotlight is over. Have to keep those patreon donations rolling in!

I know, its just fun to see his committed fans try to justify these things when it is patently obvious that he is just spreading his appeal to as wide a base as possible before his 5 minutes in the spotlight is over. Have to keep those patreon donations rolling in!

>committed fans
    >5 minutes in the spotlight
    >Have to keep those patreon donations rolling in!

Your bias is showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

>committed fans
    >5 minutes in the spotlight
    >Have to keep those patreon donations rolling in!

Your bias is showing.

Unbelievable isn't it. What is wrong with them?

My 'bias'?

Are the only postive or neutral opinions of Peterson allowed?

I think he's Deepak Chopra for the twitter generation; a load of the same old self-help mantras with a shiny new wrapper. He has about 10 minutes of (unoriginal) ideas wrapped in 500 hours of obfuscation and waffling. No-one seems to be able to agree what his opinion is about anything, he's like a walking, talking rorschach test.

I'm actually not sure like.

I'm not an avid follow of his by any means, but the level of venom some people have for him astounds me.

Some of their comments reek of that upper-lip bourgeois scoff at the hint of being challenged on some of their ideas.

Its no wonder the political left is being villainized when these are the kind of people representing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I see the pattern there but in neither case are experts making a decision on their field of expertise. All you have managed to demonstrate is that average joes can be pretty dim. I can't argue with that.

Never heard of scientific racism?
    Another example, it was not until 1981 that the WHO removed homosexuality as a mental disorder.

Science is not infallible.

• Advertisement

I'm actually not sure like.

I'm not an avid follow of his by any means, but the level of venom some people have for him astounds me.

Some of their comments reek of that upper-lip bourgeois scoff at the hint of being challenged on some of their ideas.

Its no wonder the political left is being villainized when these are the kind of people representing them.

Who’s representing the political left?

Advertisement