Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

VirginiaB wrote: »
    ...It took 14 days for the photocopy to arrive by email which is fine...

You think fourteen days to send an email is okay? :eek::eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Yes, I think 14 days was fine, considering the alternative.  And considering the man died in 1865--what's two more weeks? Seriously, there is more than just sending an email involved.
    I used the same secure pay link as kanadams123, no problems.

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Seriously, there is more than just sending an email involved.

Not having a go at you VirginiaB but two weeks to send a pdf by email is ridiculous - it's five minutes work, if even that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hermy wrote: »
    Not having a go at you VirginiaB but two weeks to send a pdf by email is ridiculous - it's five minutes work, if even that.

Do they have pdfs ready to go? I thought it was like in Werburgh Street, where someone went rooted out the big books, photocopied it and then emailed it?
    I know it still could take you or me a few minutes, but I'm guessing this is another job has been tacked on to someone's responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

Also they prob have an awful lot of these five minutes jobs to do. Its better than having to pay massive money like in some countries for records. They are trying to get all the older ones digitized so they can be access free online, I'm sure this is where the majority of their time is spent.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Do they have pdfs ready to go? I thought it was like in Werburgh Street, where someone went rooted out the big books, photocopied it and then emailed it?
    I know it still could take you or me a few minutes, but I'm guessing this is another job has been tacked on to someone's responsibilities.
    A while back I visited a local office looking for a recent cert and I was able to see the computer screen as the lady searched for the record. It turned out the death I was looking for took place in England so it wasn't to be found. But the lady was very methodical about searching the specific area, and then the wider area and finally all of Ireland, explaining to me as she went along what she was doing. I then asked for another cert which she quickly found and printed off straight away.
    All told I was dealing with her for about ten minutes.

Now I appreciate head office is probably inundated with requests for certs but it's a simple process, not unlike the one we follow when using the Irish Genealogy website, so I don't think it needs two weeks lead time.
    Diaell wrote: »
    Also they prob have an awful lot of these five minutes jobs to do. Its better than having to pay massive money like in some countries for records. They are trying to get all the older ones digitized so they can be access free online, I'm sure this is where the majority of their time is spent.
    As someone once said to me in a most uncomplimentary manner "I bet they're trying really hard!"

There's no doubt that in the main researching family trees in Ireland is an absolute joy given the level of free [and mostly unfettered] access we have to historical records. But I look at the GRO and the way they do things and I just feel they could do so much better.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Diaell wrote: »
    They are trying to get all the older ones digitized so they can be access free online, I'm sure this is where the majority of their time is spent.

Are you new here Diaell? :)

They're certainly spending a lot of their time on it, but none of us have any idea why it's taking so long for the remainder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They have had everything scanned for at least 8 years now. When you order in the GRO in person, they print it off from a pc. It's a very long time since they photocopied from the books and chopped the headers together with your relevant line.

I think we are justified to gripe about the time it takes them to produce a pdf (I would leverage similar complaints to the UK GRO too though) and the time it's taking to get the older records (plus the 2017 release) ready. 14 days to email a pdf is totally unacceptable. If I'm waiting more than a few working days, I ring them, and then it always miraculously appears in my inbox after lunch.

However, since we're getting it all for free, we can't gripe too much.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    However, since we're getting it all for free, we can't gripe too much.

Free in this case means paid for by our taxes.
    Money well spent but money nonetheless.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

No offense taken, Hermy.  The older records aren't free and to us overseas, it's a great service, despite the wait.  And yes, I join everyone in wishing other records would come online for instant access. It is frustrating. But when I compare the availability of records from when I started all this, it's a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apologies to those who like me, await updates of this thread with bated breath, but I discovered yesterday that GRONI have some of the older 'not yet uploaded' records, and while it's five or six GRONI credits to see them, it's still cheaper than a trip to Werburgh Street or an order to Roscommon.

While we're here has anyone else found the Captcha particularly stubborn these past few days?

The past month or more it's been very smooth and now all of a sudden it's back to its old trick of requiring half a dozen attempts or more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I've been away from this for a while now and returned the other day and was delighted to see the captcha was no longer in operation - just the box stating I'm not a robot and then the name. Have I entered something of a parallel universe, Hermy, where yours is more difficult and mine is non-existent? :cool:

As a result of being away, I've no idea what updates of new info have been added, or what's expected, or overdue. Can anyone fill me in on this please? Thank you

DamoRed wrote: »
    ...just the box stating I'm not a robot and then the name...

I've had bouts where all that was required was to tick that box but it never lasts.

Wish I knew what causes it to change.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I've had bouts where all that was required was to tick that box but it never lasts.

Wish I knew what causes it to change.

Same here.

Yeah, some times you have to identify shop fronts or vehicles or geographical features, other times, it just believes me that I'm not a robot.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

When these records came online I was doing the Captcha thing dozens and dozens a time every day for weeks, and although I was very grateful for what I was getting, having to do it so many times was indeed very frustrating.

Claire Santry has just posted an update at Irish Genealogy News.
    A few months to go yet but it'll be worth waiting for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm thankful Claire began with "Don't get too excited, now", it was very helpful! :) Otherwise I would have fainted.

One might feel inclined not to hold ones breathe!:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm thankful Claire began with "Don't get too excited, now", it was very helpful! :) Otherwise I would have fainted.

Careful, now!

I'm struggling to find an appropriate use of "Down with this sort of thing" but hey, by hook or by crook, it's there anyway! :D

I'll believe it's coming in November when I see it. That said, they don't usually specify a month.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Have they specified a year? :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Shhhhhh! If we get too sarky they may make us wait longer!

That would require civil servants to read the internet in relation to their job. I don't think irishgenealogy.ie is that high on ANYONE's priority list.

Genealogy Forum Mod

As far as I can recall, I read here, that it's a very small group of people who make up Genealogy.ie. Does anyone know how many it is?

It's one person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just one? That's unbelievable. Why on Earth are such little resources afforded to what's a big source of tourist traffic to Ireland? It's obvious this one person has a workload that needs more assistance at least, and it could and would become so much more efficient. No wonder they're 4-5 months behind schedule.

Ah sure that'd be doing things properly Damo and we can't have that now, can we!! :pac:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Ah, God forbid, (says an Atheist) t'wud be unconstitutional.

Advertisement