Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I often come across that word.....'missing'. How and why do files go missing in this country? It tends to happen quite a bit. :mad: Other than the burning of records in 1922.

They are not missing, we can buy the record copy if we wish.

They just have not been put free online yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not missing but absent from the website nonetheless.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Sorry guys, missing records just makes me grumpy. Apologies.

I share your frustration - wish they'd just get on with the job and finish it in good time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've sent the email politely expressing my frustration this morning to

josepha.madigan@oireachtas.ie
    gro@groireland.ie
    feedback@irishgenealogy.ie

and cc-ed my local TDs.
    I don't expect much to come of it if mine is the only email they receive.

A friend who works as a TD's helper says that most of the communication they receive concern individual issues and receive a boiler plate reply.
    If they receive more than 3 comms about the same issue they take note.
    More than 10 comms about an issue will usually result in meaningful inquiries being made, since more votes may be influenced as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I had a response from my contact this morning but it didn't say anything useful beyond some time in 2018 and they will promote through the website when they do.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I had a response from my contact this morning but it didn't say anything useful beyond some time in 2018 and they will promote through the website when they do.

The mail I replied to/cc-ed this morning was from May 2017 and they said 'soon'. :(
    Can some other posters also email the Dept/GRO?
    Even if only 3 or 4 send, it's more than just one or 2 of us.
    I doubt whether the Dept/GRO follow this thread.
    Tx.

I have received an explanation from GRO about why it's taking a long time.
    It provides more details than the boiler plate responses I've received up to now and I appreciate the extra time it took to send.
    To try and explain why it takes this amount of time is a little more difficult. Essentially the GRO have been operating from two forms of database. One has most of the data now in the format that you see online. The remainder are still linked to the old Index information without the image linking directly. That is why the information you see shows the Returns Year; Returns Quarter; Returns Volume No & Returns Page No. You will also note that each Marriage entry only shows one party and does not include the date of marriage. Since 2016 work on the Deaths Indexes has moved the corrected format from 1921 down to 1878 and for Marriages from 1882 to 1870. These updated indexes also have the image of the register entry linked to them. The final body of work does take time but we need to ensure that accuracy is not lost in completing this work and we will ensure that the addition of these remaining records is highlighted on the website in good time.

We trust that visitors to the website will understand this and will of course be delighted when the remaining records are launched in the near future.

Thanks for making the inquiry josip and for posting their response.

It explains the work involved which they then disappointingly use as an excuse for the delay in delivering the completed project.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Yes, thanks for asking and posting the reply.

However whilst the reply helps with the "older" records it doesn't explain the non-show of the 1917 Births, the 1942 Marriages and the 1967 Deaths. Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

They've always said they're focusing on the older stuff first.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

They've always said they're focusing on the older stuff first.
    Except the newer stuff is ready at the flick of a switch, as we know from the few days it was online. Luckily I managed to download dozens of pages :D

Hermy wrote: »
    Thanks for making the inquiry josip and for posting their response.

It explains the work involved which they then disappointingly use as an excuse for the delay in delivering the completed project.

But it does not explain why irishgenealogy.ie have not made available the data which the GRO has already given them.

tabbey wrote: »
    But it does not explain why irishgenealogy.ie have not made available the data which the GRO has already given them.

Which records are you referring to?

josip wrote: »
    Which records are you referring to?

The early marriages and deaths, which have been digitised by the GRO and sent to irishgenealogy.ie for inclusion on the website.

Irishgenealogy has been sitting on them and are very vague as to when we will have them free online.

You have to realise that irishgenealogy is literally run by one guy and it's not his only job. We'll get it when we get it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You have to realise that irishgenealogy is literally run by one guy and it's not his only job. We'll get it when we get it.

That's quite impressive. Though there are several people here including me, who might be happy to volunteer to help him out! :)

Oh me too! Sure let's all apply for the civil service, pass the exams, wait for a job opening in the right department, explain our skill set, and they'll probably put us working in marine conservation or the Mexican consular team!

Genealogy Forum Mod

tabbey wrote: »
    The early marriages and deaths, which have been digitised by the GRO and sent to irishgenealogy.ie for inclusion on the website.

Irishgenealogy has been sitting on them and are very vague as to when we will have them free online.

Tabbey,do you mean all the deaths before 1878 and marriages before 1870 have already been digitized by the GRO and sent to Irish genealogy or just a subset of these?
    Is this public knowledge?
    If so, I will revert to the GRO.

josip wrote: »
    Tabbey,do you mean all the deaths before 1878 and marriages before 1870 have already been digitized by the GRO and sent to Irish genealogy or just a subset of these?
    Is this public knowledge?
    If so, I will revert to the GRO.

My understanding is that all marriages and deaths back to 1864, and some of the pre 1864 non RC marriages have been digitised by the GRO and sent to irishgenealogy.ie for going online.

What work if any, has to be done for putting the records online, I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the GRO to send emails of photocopy requests?
    I have already paid via the secure online link a few days ago and just wondering how long it would take to get them through email?!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi, does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the GRO to send emails of photocopy requests?
    I have already paid via the secure online link a few days ago and just wondering how long it would take to get them through email?!!

Some I have had back within three or four days. My last one took a bit longer. I was actually wondering had they received the letter when I got a reply. It took about 2 weeks from me sending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

I ordered a death cert on the 2nd July and only got it today!

Ah i see! Ill have another few days at lest so before i get anything! Thanks!

Any time I see new posts in this thread, my heart misses a beat...:(

BowWow wrote: »
    Any time I see new posts in this thread, my heart misses a beat...:(

Haha..so sorry! Tbh i am the same, everytime i think "oh the 1917 births are available"
    I just didnt think my querry was worth a whole thread by itself!
    Sorry BowWow :)

Haha..so sorry! Tbh i am the same, everytime i think "oh the 1917 births are available"
    I just didnt think my querry was worth a whole thread by itself!
    Sorry BowWow :)

Absolutely no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Funny you should ask. I recently sent for a GRO record for the first time, pd online.  It took 14 days for the photocopy to arrive by email which is fine compared to snail mail.  Very smooth process and very clear image of an 1865 death record.

Interested to know what secure link you used online to pay?

I have access to a fax machine so I still fax my orders and ask for them to be emailed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Interested to know what secure link you used online to pay?

I have access to a fax machine so I still fax my orders and ask for them to be emailed.

I sent the filled out form (which i got from irishgeneology.ie) to the gro payments email address and they sent a secure link to make the 4euro payment.
    The instructions are included on the request form which i got from irishgeneology.ie.

The payment was done through the typical WorldPay service which is typicaly used for many online purchases!

As it was my first time getting these records this way, i used my smart card ( three money card) to be safe opposed to debit/credit. I am always carefull with these links and it was legit!

Advertisement