Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

According to 1911 census, Charles Bailey was married 3 years to his wife Johanna/Hanna Daly probably in the district of Kilmallock, Mitchelstown or Limerick. can anyone find the marriage record? Happy New Year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I tried a few of the usual tricks but I'm not seeing sight nor sound of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

In the '01 census Charles Bailey is listed as the stepson of Patrick Walsh so there may be some doubt about which surname he used for the marriage. I'll PM you a link to an article in the newspaper archives.

Not straightforward then! However, I also looked for the marriage record under her name without result. I even looked up her baptism record, sometimes the marriage details were annotated but not this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you checked the UK?
    Also, did they have any children - check birth records for the names of the parents in case there's a difference.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have you checked the UK?
    Also, did they have any children - check birth records for the names of the parents in case there's a difference.

thanks. Yes I did a quick check in the UK for the marriage. The children's birth records show parents' names as above.

I noticed one of the children's births was incorrectly indexed under Midleton even the record is clearly from Mitchelstown.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yep, and mother's first name incorrectly recorded as Hanora instead of Johanna/Hanna.

GRO birth record has annotation "Registered on Statutory Declaration". What does mean? The birth was registered nearly 6 months late? What was the time period for registration and what was the fine if due?

3 months is the time frame. I think the amount of the fine changed over time though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It depends on when. The time period varied and there was also a difference between ‘notification’ and registration. The various fees and fines would have changed over the years.

The Civil Registration Act, 2004 changed some of the rules about registering a birth. These changes took effect from 5th December 2005. That act replaced several older ones, the main ones being the Births and Deaths Registration Acts 1863 to 1996 and the Births and Deaths Registration Act (Ireland) 1880.

The main act under which the registration was established was an Act for the Registration of Births and Deaths in Ireland. [20 April 1863] 26 & 27 Vict. c.11.
    See sections 30-35

Many thanks for the link, Pedro, some reading to do now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

On more than one visit to the GRO in Werburgh St I've seen 2 people sitting together searching different books. Would they both be paying a €20 fee for unlimited searches, or is that only payable by one person, if they're accompanied?

No, you can pay one fee of €20 and both search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, that's great news! Chatting with a cousin yesterday who laid something on me I wasn't expecting, so we've arranged to meet again, and possibly go to the GRO, where our task would definitely be easier and quicker with both of us searching.

The books are also really heavy if you're having to search a quite wide period.

But check first that you actually need to go to the GRO for this search: lots is online now.

I've only been there in recent times to check for a marriage/death post 1940.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah, they're all post 1916. While it would be possible for me to do alone for what would be a longer day, another pair of eyes and a brain is always helpful, not only in terms of sharing the load, but for seeing what may not be obvious to one or the other.

Ok, but remember you can search indexes up to 1958 on Familysearch and the commercial sites. That should narrow down your work in advance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Our search involves multiple adoptions, and none of the names have appeared in searches on Familysearch. My cousin mentioned records being held at HSE HQ, which as Stevens Hospital, it was where his own mother had been born before adoption. Not having dealt with anything regarding adoptions before, I don't know what records are available and where.

Ok, take yourself over to the adoption forum for some advance, so you don't waste time on stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Any news on the 1917 Births, 1942 Marriages and 1967 Deaths etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

BowWow wrote: »
    Any news on the 1917 Births, 1942 Marriages and 1967 Deaths etc.?

Are these the only records outstanding now?
    I though there were some of the earlier deaths and marriages also awaiting processing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

josip wrote: »
    Are these the only records outstanding now?
    I though there were some of the earlier deaths and marriages also awaiting processing?

The Early marriages and deaths have been digitised by the GRO, but IrishGenealogy still declines to put them online.
    Furthermore they refuse to give any date for when they will be online, or whether they will be done in phases.

Actually, my understanding is that they are working on the outstanding earlier deaths and marriages first. That was from Tadhg (who runs the site) the last time I talked to him before Christmas.

Do you have further knowledge, Tabbey?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Actually, my understanding is that they are working on the outstanding earlier deaths and marriages first. That was from Tadhg (who runs the site) the last time I talked to him before Christmas.

Do you have further knowledge, Tabbey?

I was advised in the GRO that all the deaths and marriages back to 1864 (and some earlier non RC marriages) were digitised by the GRO and sent to irishgenealogy for going online to the public.
    Presumably IG has some legal or technical reasons for still not making them available.
    I emailed them some time ago, they replied in the most vague terms that they would be online some time. When I sought clarification, such as when? and all at once or in batches?, the reply was non-informative, just that we would be informed when they are ready.

As the work was mostly done by the GRO, I can only speculate why these records which are supposed to be freely available, are still restricted to those who purchase a copy from the GRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can anyone remember specifically which of the early years are outstanding for deaths and marriages?
    I think all the births are there?

Does anyone have an email address for Irish Genealogy?
    I want to cc Heather Humphreys and the GRO at the same time (heather.humphreys@oir.ie, gro@groireland.ie)

Perhaps if a few of us here emailed at the same time and made it obvious that we weren't going to let it go, there would be some movement?

It's not Heather Humphries anymore as far as I know.

Google tells me it's Josepha Madigan in Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht now.

Marriages before 1871 and deaths before 1881 are missing to the best of my knowledge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I often come across that word.....'missing'. How and why do files go missing in this country? It tends to happen quite a bit. :mad: Other than the burning of records in 1922.

Josepha Madigan is the current minister.

No one is paying attention to genealogy stuff right now. While I'm all for reminding ministers of obligations, an email like this will fall through the cracks of the referendum correspondence.

I've emailed my contact to ask - he doesn't always reply though!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I often come across that word.....'missing'. How and why do files go missing in this country? It tends to happen quite a bit. :mad: Other than the burning of records in 1922.

Perhaps a poor choice of word on my part as they weren't there to begin with.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement