Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run for your life!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

So, longest run to date today - both of this training schedule and of my time as a 'runner' - and I was very much up for this one.

Was well prepared as usual this morning and when I looked outside at the rain and wind, I was secretly relieved that I'd be doing my run in very different conditions to what I've been used to up till now.
    Didn't realise just how bad it was until I stepped outside and had to go back inside to fetch my running jacket just to play it safe. I picked a route earlier in the week from Map My Run but wasn't 100% happy with where it was taking me. Still, as I'd had such a busy week, I didn't really have time to be faffing over where I was going to run so decided to persevere and off I went.
    The rain was pretty heavy for the first mile or so and after about 1.5 miles, I took a look at the watch after wiping it dry and noticed that I had it on the wrong activity setting!!! It was still on 'Ride' from the day before and so half way through my second mile I had no choice but to start again. Was so annoyed with myself that I ended up being the most distracted I've ever been on a run yet. Couldn't focus at all and cursed myself for the next few miles at least. Finally got my head together and got back into it a rhythm eventually.
    The clouds started to clear a little but I was still not happy with the route that I chose and then started trying to figure out where I could have gone instead...more self-imposed torment!!
    At mile 10, I decided to have my first try of an energy gel. I wasn't desperate for it by any means but I figured the time was about right. Ripped open the top of the sachet and lost about 1/4 of it down my front. Struggled with the rest of it too so perhaps gels are not for me.
    A few moments later, the heavens opened again but all it did was make me think "this is exactly what it's all about, this is why I am training to run a marathon". You take the rough with the smooth, let it rain!!!!!
    This spurred me on no end and my last few miles pretty much flew past. Ran the last mile feeling really good about what I'd just done. Another major milestone to brag about to my loving family. :D
    Arrived home soaking wet but totally invigorated after running what ended up being 16.5 miles, all told. Was little miffed that the map of my route or the elevation wasn't recorded when I uploaded my run but I guess you can't have it every way........
    Definitely planning a change of scenery for next week!!!

Ok, so yesterday's 5 mile pace run took me a little by surprise.

I think perhaps it might be something to do with having become so accustomed to the easy pace runs over the last number of weeks. Hopefully the next few pace runs over the coming weeks of the schedule will get me used to that particular pace.

A lot of things went through my head during those 5 miles. The main one being: "am I going too fast?" It didn't feel like I was but it also lead me to question whether or not my marathon goal time of 3:30 was a realistic one. My aim yesterday was to try to run as close to 8 minute miles as possible which I think I did pretty well (I'm open to suggestions to the contrary).

I think I did pretty ok at the Irish Runner 10 mile a few weeks back. I was comfortable sticking with the 80 minute pacer and ended up finishing about two or three minutes ahead of him. Sure, there were times during the closing stages of that race that I started to tire but I had a reasonably strong finish.

I now feel like I have to do a half marathon to use as an indicator for October. I'd like to be standing at the start line of the marathon with a clear head!

Edit: when running with a pacer, is the aim to run at a consistent pace for the entire race or are there pacers who might run as a slightly easier pace before picking things up a little later in the run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

coogy wrote: »
    Ok, so yesterday's 5 mile pace run took me a little by surprise.

I think perhaps it might be something to do with having become so accustomed to the easy pace runs over the last number of weeks. Hopefully the next few pace runs over the coming weeks of the schedule will get me used to that particular pace.

A lot of things went through my head during those 5 miles. The main one being: "am I going too fast?" It didn't feel like I was but it also lead me to question whether or not my marathon goal time of 3:30 was a realistic one. My aim yesterday was to try to run as close to 8 minute miles as possible which I think I did pretty well (I'm open to suggestions to the contrary).

Edit: when running with a pacer, is the aim to run at a consistent pace for the entire race or are there pacers who might run as a slightly easier pace before picking things up a little later in the run?

Do you mean you found it fast or too easy?

Pacers tend to do an even pace around the route. Personally I run better without pacers or just loosely using them. I like being able to slow down on hills and pick up later so let the pacers go and reel them back in. Also on a course like Dublin, which is set up for a negative split then it might be better to start off slower and pick up after Castleknock when you’ve gotten to the highest part of the route. You can then aim to slowly catch up with the pacers.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Do you mean you found it fast or too easy?

Pacers tend to do an even pace around the route. Personally I run better without pacers or just loosely using them. I like being able to slow down on hills and pick up later so let the pacers go and reel them back in. Also on a course like Dublin, which is set up for a negative split then it might be better to start off slower and pick up after Castleknock when you’ve gotten to the highest part of the route. You can then aim to slowly catch up with the pacers.

It was more that it felt I was too fast and so instantly started freaking out about October, thinking I'd be on my knees come the half-way point! I definitely think that pace is manageable though.

I was thinking the same thing actually about staying within a reasonable distance to the pacers, rather than be running shoulder to shoulder. Less pressure!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Another thing to bare in mind with the pace groups is that they tend to be very busy/congested especially for the milestone times like 3:30, 4:00 etc. For the first 1-2km it is very congested anywhere you run and one thing i would advice is not to waste energy trying to get around crowds of people, it's better to accept a slow first couple of km and conserve your energy for later in the race. If you have decided to join a pace group they could potentially get away at this stage and it can be quite disheartening to watch them disappear. I think it's better to plan on running your own race, you may end up at some point hooking up with a group and it could potentially work out well for you but i wouldn't be like for you to be reliant on it.

ariana` wrote: »
    Another thing to bare in mind with the pace groups is that they tend to be very busy/congested especially for the milestone times like 3:30, 4:00 etc. For the first 1-2km it is very congested anywhere you run and one thing i would advice is not to waste energy trying to get around crowds of people, it's better to accept a slow first couple of km and conserve your energy for later in the race. If you have decided to join a pace group they could potentially get away at this stage and it can be quite disheartening to watch them disappear. I think it's better to plan on running your own race, you may end up at some point hooking up with a group and it could potentially work out well for you but i wouldn't be like for you to be reliant on it.

Thanks Ariana, that's definitely a sensible option! Last thing I want is to be flustered at the start line, have to remember to enjoy the experience too!!

Thanks Ariana, that's definitely a sensible option! Last thing I want is to be flustered at the start line, have to remember to enjoy the experience too!!

Absolutely key to it :)

Part of me can't quite believe that I just ran 16 miles but another part of me is thinking "yeah.....whatever"
    :cool:

So 6 weeks down and I must say, I'm very pleased with how things have gone so far.

This week was a biggie but I didn't really feel daunted in the slightest by the prospect of running 16 miles after last week's lsr. The things that occupy my mind most in the lead up to long runs are more to do with being well prepared and making sure that I'm in a positive frame of mind.

Wednesday's pace run - as I mentioned in a previous post - was good but it felt like I struggled a little at times with the pace. That said, I was still well within my comfort zone and I think that's an important thing for me......knowing what I'm capable of and what might be a step too far.

Speaking of which, yesterday's lsr...........
    I was on the road at 6:30am and this time, was far better prepared with my route than I had been the previous week. I was Phoenix Park bound, one of my favourite places to be.
    Even at that hour, I encountered runners who were on the way back from their early morning run. I know this because one of them is a work colleague.......:)
    Also, I decided to try out the cliff bloks for the first time and was hoping that I'd fare better with these than I did with the messy gels from last week.
    Pace-wise, I started off perhaps 15-20 seconds faster than I would have liked (mile 1 was 9:03) but I knew I wasn't over-doing it so decided that I would do my best to stay within 20-30 seconds of this pace, without going under 9 minute miles.
    The park was beautiful at that hour and as always, was heartened and encouraged by the other runners who were up and about. I sometimes feel like high-fiving every single one of them or at least acknowledge our communal efforts in some way. Mostly though, just a nod in their direction usually does the trick.
    I took my first cliff blok at the 6 mile mark, and another at mile 12 and they went down pretty ok. I had a small bottle of water with a Zero tab in it too. I know I wouldn't have lasted the pace without them. As I exited the park, it felt like I had slightly overestimated the route by about a mile. This was at the 11 mile mark but what amazed me was just how much I have become used to what it feels like to run a mile and being able to gauge the distance of the remainder of my run based on that. Turns out I was bang on. My route was exactly one mile beyond the planned 16 so in the end, used it as a cool down run back to the house. :D
    Legs felt ok-ish coming into the final stretch and as with previous long runs, was by no means out of gas during the last mile or two which gives me hope for October.

Took my 7 year old son to his 6th Junior Park run this morning. He's absolutely flying it. His last four finishes have been 36th, 35th, 22nd and 19th. All out of an average turnout of about 140 or so kids. So proud of him!
    Could have used today (Sunday) as a rest day but wanted to get out for a recovery run after yesterday's efforts.

Anyway, that 'step too far' I mentioned earlier......this long run allowed me to think a little more clearly about my goal time for the marathon. At various stages, I tried to picture myself running at a pace of no more than 8 minute miles for the whole 26 miles and somehow I could not. So, in the interest of common sense, it looks like I might need to readjust what was probably always a pipe dream finish time of 3:30 to a more realistic time of 3:31 3:45. Actually, anything under 4 hours and I will be thrilled silly.

So, the two week holiday. Naturally, I am bringing pretty much all my running gear (the foam roller has to stay behind :roll eyes:)
    I have accepted that it is unlikely that I will be able to do every single run over the course of the two weeks but I will do whatever I can do.
    My OH is fretting big time, worried that my obsession with running and the demands of the training, will prevent me - and more importantly her - from enjoying the actual holiday itself. I have reassured her on numerous occasions that although I intend to get a certain amount of running in, I will only do what's achievable. I'm not sure if that means sacrificing the long runs or the midweek ones. Perhaps a midweek pace run, recovery run and slightly shortened lsr? I really don't know how it's going to pan out until I see how the first one goes............wish me luck!! ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, just a quick update to my log while I make the most of the head-scratchingly unconventional wi-fi availability in our hotel (only available within the four walls of the recption area).
    Tuesday's 4 mile easy run was a write-off due to being knackered from Monday's overnight travelling (never again!)

Wednesday - Pace run (1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d)
    Made sure I was well prepared the night before for this one as it would probably determine whether or not I would manage any more runs for the rest of our stay here.
    Was out the door just after 6am and within 5 minutes of setting off, I noticed a few other runners about which was good to see but not long after, we were completely outnumbered by party goers, unsteady on their feet as they made their way back to their hotels after a night's shenanigans. Reminded me of an all too distant past as a young, free and single twenty-something but now would rather be running any day of the week! 😎
    Even though I was on unfamiliar territory, I felt ok as I had familiarised myself with the route before we left Dublin and the majority of it was either on footpaths or pedestrianised streets. The pace part of the run was a little tough and if I'd have left it another hour, I'd have struggled. The three cliff bloks and water with zero tabs along the way certainly helped.
    Came back to the room to find everyone still out for the count, even after I had fixed myself a post-run breakfast, mere feet from where they were sleeping. Encouraging signs for my 14 mile lsr on Saturday! 😊

Thursday - 4 mile easy run
    Got up early again and encountered way more runners than the previous day, some of which I could tell were holiday makers like myself. Also out in force again were more revellers stumbling their way through the early morning sunshine like vampires desperately fleeing the suns rays.
    The run itself was very enjoyable, especially now that I was more familiar with my surroundings and made sure not to overdo it, sticking to a nice easy pace. Once again, returned to three sleeping heads so am now raring to go for tomorrow's lsr........provided I can stay away from the ridiculously cheap Bulgarian beer........😉

14 Bulgarian miles in the bag.

Happy camper.

Happy camper.

Brilliant Coogy! You can relax now.

Happy camper.

Brilliant Coogy! You can relax now.

Haha, if only that were possible. Never a dull moment with our lot! :)
    Thanks!
    Will probably have to head out even earlier for next week's 16 mile lsr. Could feel my energy reserves sapping at around mile 11/12. Hot hot hot!!!

I never thought I'd be so happy to have a rest day!
    Saturday's 14 miler and yesterday's recovery run left me spent! Also nursing a head cold which doesnt help, especially while on holiday.
    Still, I'll look back on these runs and be thankful that I did manage to squeeze them in........not that I'd have had it any other way!
    Need to be mentally prepared for Wednesday's pace run and Saturday's lsr considering how I felt after last week's.
    Kind of looking forward to getting home now so I can get back to a more familiar routine. Running on holiday is bloody hard work!!
    I've decided to register for the Ratoath half in September when I get back. As for my race strategy.......that's as yet undecided but I'm leaning towards 'giving it socks'...........

Wednesday 15th August- 1 mile w/u, 6 mile pace, 1 mile c/d

I was not really relishing the thought of this run, given the heat factor. Lots and lots of water yesterday and a big feed last night were called for.
    Found a nice new route which took me away from the potentially dangerous broken footpaths that appear pretty much everywhere you look over here.
    Again, for the pace part of my run, I had 8 minutes-ish in my head so decided to stick with that. Managed to keep a relatively consistent pace for the most part but started to feel the effects of the heat during mile 6. Still felt ok and was still able to press on, even though the last mile was slightly slower than I would have liked.
    By the end of the cool down, I was completely saturated, don't think I've ever perspired as much during a run, so back to the hotel to rehydrate asap and a nice big breakfast.
    Even though I missed out on last week's Tuesday easy run, I'm chuffed to bits that I've managed to fit in all of these runs while on holiday. Hopefully, it will all pay off come October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Huge kudos for fitting it all in while on holidays, especially with the family being there aswell.

You will have a smashing run come October, thats a fact.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fair play for getting them done while on holidays! With the heat, I'd say the weather at the start of DCM training is standing to you! ;)

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair play for getting them done while on holidays! With the heat, I'd say the weather at the start of DCM training is standing to you! ;)

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Huge kudos for fitting it all in while on holidays, especially with the family being there aswell.

You will have a smashing run come October, thats a fact.

Thanks guys, honestly didn't hold out a lot of hope before jetting off but it's all fallen nicely into place! :D

Thursday 16th August- 4 mile easy run

Forecast for today is 32 degrees so was important to get this one out of the way early but still allowed myself a lie-in of 20 minutes before getting up at 6.20am........some lie-in! :rolleyes:

Not much to report for this one really. Nice and easy, no fuss, straight down the middle, Bob's your uncle 4 mile run. Planning to set out even earlier for Saturday's lsr before the heat kicks in again.

IT'S TOO FLIPPIN' HOT!!!!!! (there, I said it)

Friday 18th August- 16 mile lsr
    So, after spending weeks convincing myself that I wouldn't get a single run completed on holiday, I've somehow managed to do them all (apart from one 4 mile easy run the day after we got here). Actually, there's tomorrow's recovery run so technically not quite done yet! ;)
    I used this morning's 16 miler to explore other parts of Nesebar as I was becoming a little bored of the same route over the last two weeks. Typical of my luck, I left the best route till last. Went up as far as old Nessebar, which overlooks the harbour and the Black Sea. Stunning views and fantastic running surfaces along the promenade too, was annoyed with myself for not heading out that way on previous runs. Still, enjoyed it while it lasted.
    Bit of a hiccup during mile 2 when I temporarily lost the gps signal after going a bit too far off the beaten track but got it back soon after. The miles seemed to fly by up as far as the hour mark but at 12 miles and with the early morning sun making its presence felt, I began to wilt a little and longed for the end to come, even considered cutting the run short at the 14 mile mark but would only have spent the next few days regretting it so I pushed on with next to nothing left in the tank, or so it felt.
    It was exactly at this point that I decided to set my sights for October slightly lower than I had up till now. I know the heat factor won't be an issue when I return home but as I said before, I want to enjoy the actual marathon experience and if I set myself unrealistic goals, then that's not going to be possible.
    So basically anything under 4 hours and I'll be happy as Larry but will be gunning for a 3:45 finish.
    A few runs in the rain are just what I need right now!!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22nd August - 1 mile w/u, 6 mile pace, 1 mile c/d
    As with most of my previous runs through Dublin city during the lunch time rush, the first mile was a little erratic as I tried to avoid colliding with other pedestrians on narrow footpaths.
    Thankfully, after mile 1, I was moving further away from the hustle and bustle and was able to run the 6 mile pace part of the run with no problems. The cool down brought me back onto Dublin's quays so I wasn't too worried about having to slow down.
    Pace-wise, I thought that I would try 8-ish minute miles which was kind of going against the decision I made while on holiday to take things a little slower on marathon day but obviously with the weather here not being quite what i was used to on holiday, I just wanted to get a sense of how this pace felt for this sort of distance.
    At the end of the 6 miles, I felt good but was still quite hard to gauge how I might fare on race day at that pace. Ratoath half marathon is fast approaching so I will use that as my guide to see where I'm at.

Thursday 23rd August - 4 miles easy run
    Nice to be back running on home soil after the 2 weeks away. Was up early this morning and after not that much sleep last night - coupled with a touch of travel fatigue- felt quite sluggish heading out the door which I found hard to shake of for the majority of this one. An important reminder of just how vital it is to get the right amount of shut-eye before any run.
    Tomorrow's rest day should help before Saturday's lsr. Have my route already mapped out and am really looking forward it. Need to have a think about nutrition for this one too. I think a nice bowl of porridge is called for this time!

Saturday 25th August - 18 mile lsr

I knew that for this 18 mile run, a pre-run banana simply wasn't going to be enough to see me through. This meant only one thing.......I would have to bring to an end my obsession with trying not to wake the family while I prepared a proper breakfast (including the dog) before I left the house. I was still quiet enough while I made my porridge and to my amazement, even with the dog mere feet away, she didn't stir. :)
    Ate my porridge and waited half an hour before heading out the door with my water and three cliff bloks, about half an hour later than I'd have liked but still reasonable early.
    The morning was bright and the skies were clear but after a few minutes, I started to feel a real nip in the air which took a while to get over. My strategy for this run was simple: don't overthink the distance you are running and just enjoy the run. I think that's what's got me through most of the lsr's up to now. The route I chose was working out really well too, a nice mix of flat and some steep inclines thrown in for good measure.
    Even still, it felt like it wasn't until mile 6 that I really found my rhythm and for the next few miles, it was like I was literally locked into a pace of 9:15. Every time I looked at the watch, there it was........9:15. It felt like the perfect pace for this sort of running and I was almost willing myself not to break the momentum. Thankfully, I managed to stay within a few seconds either side of this pace for the rest of the run without having to check the watch too much.
    I was glad of the pre-run porridge and didn't really need a cliff blok until about mile 8 and took another at mile 13. Also somehow managed to make my 250 ml of water with Zero tab last the whole run. Legs felt pretty good throughout and did my usual butt kicks during the latter miles to keep them limber.
    Arrived home feeling completely elated with another milestone under my belt to brag to my family about. :)
    Looking forward to the Ratoath half marathon coming up week after next. Gonna give it my best shot, hoping for around 1:45 or thereabouts!

Sunday 26th August - 2 mile recovery run

Late in the day squeezing this one in after a busy day. The dark evenings are well and truly upon us so need to invest in some hi-vis gear quick-sharpish!

Meant to say, I have discovered that there is nothing quite like downing 250 ml of chocolate milk after an 18 mile run.
    De-licious!!! :)

Meant to say, I have discovered that there is nothing quite like downing 250 ml of chocolate milk after an 18 mile run.
    Makes it all worthwhile :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Treble it!! :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Treble it!! :D

Edit: it was actually 500ml of cold, chocolate goodness.:D

Edit: it was actually 500ml of cold, chocolate goodness.:D

Haha. Actually I researched this after a comment made to me last year about the amount of it I drank.

For optimal recovery take your body weight in lbs. I'm 162 lbs. Divide by 2 which in my case gives 81. This is the amount of carbohydrate I should consume after a long run. Mooju has 10.5g of carbohydrate per 100ml so I need the 750ml carton to get close to what I need. This also gives me 36g of protein which is slightly more than I need but not too much.

Tuesday 28th August - 4 mile easy run
    Decided to make the most of the kids' last few days of being off school with a run before work.
    I was glad of the extra mile compared to the usual 3 miles on the Tuesday. Not much to report on this one.

Wednesday 29th August - 7 miles easy run
    Last run of the summer before the kids go back to school and it was a really nice 7 mile run through Lucan and part of Leixlip. For me, there's no greater feeling leaving the house to set off on a run when most people are still asleep and there's barely any traffic on the roads.
    Again, not sure there's much to report on the run itself, other than I'm feeling really comfortable with my pacing at the moment. Still doesn't stop me wondering if it's the right pace for me or if I should be slowing it down some more.

Thursday 30th August - 4 miles easy run
    Back to city centre running today with the kids back in school (have I mentioned that yet?). Ran this one slightly quicker that planned. Mainly as a result of having to sprint across certain junctions along the city's quays to prevent myself from being splattered.
    Always happy to take in some of the Phoenix Park on a lunchtime run, no matter how brief.

Saturday 1st September - 2 easy miles
    I knew I wasn't going to be able to do my lsr today due to other commitments which was my first real experience of 'life' getting in the way since the training kicked off so it was suggested to me by skyblue46 that I should squeeze in a 2 mile easy run before taking on the 17 mile lsr the following day.
    With this one, I tried to slow things down a little as I've got a niggling feeling that my usual lsr pace of around 9:15/9:20 is a little on the quick side and that it will force me into running at a pace during the marathon that I will ultimately struggle with. I don't think that will be the case though. Just another case of self-doubt creeping in.
    Anyway, my attempts at running at a slower pace generally failed.

Sunday 2nd September - 17 mile lsr (actual distance ran - 16 miles)
    I had to make sure I was out of the house early enough to be back in time to bring my son along to his Junior Parkrun.
    Had the alarm set for 5:40am but didn't hear the it go off and woke just before 6am. Luckily, had everything laid out from the night before but by the time I ate and left the house, I knew in the back of my head that I would not have time to run all 17 miles.
    Decided on the Phoenix Park today, even though by the time I got there, I could only enjoy the scenery for about 4/5 miles before it was time to head back home. For the next 20 mile run, I will probably park the car a couple of miles from the PP and spend a bit more time there on my actual run.
    Spent most of the run trying to work out whether I would actually make it back to the house on time so the run itself felt like it flew, hardly noticed the miles at all. Had a bowl of porridge again prior to this run so I only need the one cliff blok and water of course.
    Also spent a few miles thinking about next weekend's Ratoath half marathon and how unfazed I felt by the prospect. Such a difference to the version of me that 10 months ago, struggled to complete a 5k run before falling in the door in a heap.
    Pace-wise, it was quite similar to last week's lsr.

I was right about running out of time, cutting the run short at 16.2 miles....close but no cigar. :roll eyes:

Edit: I felt exhausted after today's lsr, far more than any other lsr I've done. Not sure what to put that down to. Perhaps it's just my body's way of saying "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO ME??!!!"

One thing I noticed on yesterday's lsr (especially during the last few miles) was my running form. This is definitely the one area that I have given the least amount of consideration although it is something I am still aware of from time to time and make myself 'run tall' whenever I think of it, especially towards the tail end of a long run.

Yesterday though, I noticed that I was starting to wilt a little and my whole frame had completely slumped. Definitely something I will pay much more attention to in future. YIKES!

This felt like a bit of a strange week for me.

On the one hand, I had the mix of excitement and nerves ahead of the Ratoath half and on the other hand I (naturally) had to scale back on the distances in preparation for the race. Only ended up running 4 mile and 5 mile runs on Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, Friday's planned couple of miles didn't materialise.

I won't go over old ground again about the nerves and apprehension of running the race, coupled with the dilemma of how to approach it on the day. Simply out, my limited race experience is the main factor. 90% of my runs have been at an easy pace so I suppose it's only natural to experience nerves prior to a race. Anyway, blah.

Ratoath half marathon, Saturday 8th September.

Had a fair idea that the weather wouldn't be great this morning and I was right. Woke up to a pretty steady downpour but even though I was confident it would clear, running in wet conditions didn't really faze me.
    Had a decent breakfast and plenty of hydration before leaving the house.

Left in plenty of time as the plan was to meet with some of the other Boardsies for a light jog before the race. Ended up meeting skyblue46, Damo, Sheep, Wubble Wubble and Omeceron. Was great to finally put faces to some names.
    Before long (approx 10 seconds), talk began of everyone's race strategy, most notably mine. The others had decided on a 1:30 so I knew I'd be leaving them to it and after some good-natured cajoling, we I decided that I'd be foolish not to go for at least a 1:40. I drew a deep breath and told myself that this was happening.
    Made our way out to the gantry, by which time the rain had thankfully stopped.
    Looked behind me and saw that I was standing a few metres in front of the 1:40 pacer. The next time I would see him would be watching him cross the finish line as I held my finishers medal and goodie bag. What a great feeling that was.
    The first mile was really a test to see how the slightly quicker than planned pace felt to me. I'm well aware by now that starting out too fast can end in disaster but I was feeling really confident and at a pace of 7:20, it certainly didn't feel like I was overdoing it. The question I then asked myself was "can I keep up this pace for 13.1 miles?" The only answer I had was that time would tell.
    When I saw my time for mile 1, I was a little taken aback when I saw 7:26. I had a sudden urge to ease up a little and wait for the 1:40 pacer but just as quickly decided against it and kept going. I felt good and was frequently checking my watch to see how I was doing. A good few runners started to pass me out and a little part of me wanted to try to keep up with them, as they weren't exactly going hell for leather, but I decided that this pace suited me perfectly and it would be foolish to try to match the pace of others at this early stage.
    For the next 2 or 3 miles, my pace rarely faltered and I knew that if I kept this up, I'd be well within reach if a sub-1:40. Not the time to be getting carried away, I thought. I just kept telling myself to run tall and keep going. The water stations were a little challenging when it came to actually drinking the water. The water, dished out in plastic cups, mostly ended up everywhere but in my mouth so didn't really benefit from it very much and cursed myself for not bringing my own bottle. Still, I took in enough to keep me going till the next water station.
    The route turned out to be as flat as expected with a couple of minor inclines but nothing that posed a problem.
    Then, at around mile 8 or so, there was a runner just ahead of me who I noticed had started to walk. Out of habit and mostly concern for others, I always ask another runner if they're feeling ok if I think they're struggling a little. This woman, as soon as I asked her how she was feeling appeared quite distressed and told me that she was really struggling and starting to shake as she had had no hydration. I slowed down a little to give her some encouragement as she started to run again but I could see that she was not in good shape. I told her that the next water station was only another mile up the road and strongly advised her to stop running and take breather for another few minutes. I really hesitated leaving her behind but she told me to go ahead and that she would be fine so I carried on, feeling bad that there was nothing I could do for her.
    At the next water station, same again. Water, everywhere so took a second cup and slowed a little to make sure I took in enough. Took a cliff blok for good measure. I think it was around this stage that I saw the following hand-painted sign in red, posted onto a wooden pole by the side of the road:
    'Sheep have been killed by dogs'. "Well that's lovely", I thought and felt I had no choice but to take them at their word. I carried on regardless.
    As the miles went by, I was feeling more and more confident and was doing the maths in my head based on maintaining a 7:30 pace till the finish. I was now starting to catch up with some other runners, and to my delight, some that had passed me out during the initial couple of miles. That was a great feeling and it gave me the extra positive boost I needed to up the pace just a little bit more. I could not believe how good I was feeling. At no stage, up to this point, did I feel in any way under pressure or that I was running out of my depth.
    At mile 10 (something I was so happy to see), I shouted out at the top of my voice "just a park run left, come on!!!!!", which was mostly ignored by others around me but it helped me no end, and gave me another boost, overtaking a few more runners.
    Mile 11 brought us on to the Fairyhouse Road which we had to share with traffic and there was a two foot wide makeshift lane for us by the side of the road that really only allowed for single file runners. I largely I ignored this and ran around the outside of a few runners as we made our way towards the racecourse. As I approached the main entrance I noticed there were a good few lookers-on and marshals gathered to cheer us on. I noticed that one of the marshals was really shouting out encouragement to everyone and I saw that he was a guy I knew from years ago from where I grew up and who I hadn't seen in about 16 years. Shouted out his name and gave him a high five as I passed him (I could tell he only recognised me at the last second) and I pushed harder as I commenced mile 12, the end clearly in sight........or so I thought.
    Now this part of the run deserves a separate entry all of its own, as it was probably the most drawn out 2 miles I think I have ever run. As we entered the racecourse we could hear the announcer calling out names of runners crossing the finish line with music pumping in the background. I breathed a sigh of relief and knew that the finish line had to be close but also was aware that a lap of the racecourse was still to come. Little did I know exactly what was in store. As I passed more marshals to enter the perimeter of the racetrack, it was almost impossible for me to get a sense of what was ahead of me as I couldn't make out exactly how big the loop of the course was. All I could do was not try not to focus on it too much which was hard considering the announcer's voice and the music that I'd heard moments before seemed to be getting more and more faint.
    I knew I was close to finishing but the legs were getting tired and I could see a few walkers ahead but I still managed to stay at the same pace. I passed one or two more heads and when I heard that beep from my watch to indicate that mile 12 had just elapsed, I looked at the pace saw 6:59. I couldn't believe it! This was exactly what I needed to get me over the finish line and I was thinking "can I do a 1:35?" I didn't really care, because I knew I would now without question get a sub 1:40. Was tempted to look behind me to see if there was any sign of the 1:40 pacer but I knew there was no point and as I approached the stands, the announcer's voice and the pumping music became more and more clear again. It was U2's 'Beautiful Day' that played me home. Don't think I could have asked for a more fitting song and with that, put the foot down even more, sprinting for my life (while passing out another two runners) to the finish line. Came in at 1:37:53. Result!
    I can't really describe how that moment felt. I'll be honest, I almost wept but managed to hold it back. Save it for October.
    Collected my medal in a complete daze and was greeted by Wubble Wubble who had finished just ahead of me and then saw the others who had come in a few minutes previously.
    The post mortem of each of our respective races were analysed for a few minutes as we had a chance to gather our thoughts about the 'what-ifs' and the 'if-onlys'. The 1:30 hopefuls just missed out on their targets but still managed a very impressive time nonetheless. No such thing as a wasted race in my eyes.
    So to sum it up, I feel that it was a gamble that I took, not a risk, and it absolutely paid off. I would put this down to a combination of a few things: knowing my limits, listening to my body and staying sensible throughout.
    I know I would have been happy with a 1:40 or 1:45 but now I have a much better idea of exactly what I am capable of and I will sit down (or stand up) and have a serious think about my target time for DM. I don't think it will change wildly from what it was but i now have more confidence in myself which is a huge thing for me.
    Thanks to the fellow Boardsies for all the words of encouragement, I honestly couldn't have done it without ye!!

Over and out......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great race report and well done!!!

Great report Coogy. Really enjoyed reading it. Very well done again on a fantastic pb.

Great report Coogy. Really enjoyed reading it. Very well done again on a fantastic pb.

Thanks, I really enjoyed putting it together. Kind of makes me appreciate what I've just done! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Rossi7

Great stuff K, I knew there was a runner in there when the novices started up. Looks like he came out on Sunday morning, brilliant running

Fantastic running, well done you. Lots more to come too.

ariana` wrote: »
    Fantastic running, well done you. Lots more to come too.

Thanks Ariana! It's all coming together nicely! :pac:

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Great stuff K, I knew there was a runner in there when the novices started up. Looks like he came out on Sunday morning, brilliant running

Thanks Rossi7, appreciate that! That runner you refer to has been waiting in there a long time before I joined the novices thread.
    Annoyed with myself for not taking the bull by the horns in my younger years!! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Fair play Coogy, great report and that's a brilliant PB, especially so much under your pre-goal!

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair play Coogy, great report and that's a brilliant PB, especially so much under your pre-goal!

Thanks aloooof! Maybe the pre-race goal was a little too conservative! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tuesday 11th September - 6 mile easy run

Late to bed last night so this morning's alarm was met with a groggy 'ugh......'

Somehow managed to drag myself out of bed and after a pre-run breakfast, I was out the door at 6:20am, mindful that I had to be back in time to get the kids out of bed and ready for school.
    Wore my new hi-vis gear for the first time as it was still a bit on the dark side when I left the house. As soon as I started running, I was so glad that I didn't hit the snooze button and soon enough got into my stride, savouring every moment of this run. Very happy with my pacing again.
    Still have to pinch myself that I am running these distances for fun. I am saying 'for fun' because although each run is a challenge in its own way, I don't really see it as hard work.....if that makes any sense?
    Planing on using tomorrow's pace run as an opportunity to run into work. It's the perfect distance so really looking forward to that. :)

Has the half helped you to set a PMP? I know you've been wavering a bit. What's the number at the moment?

Has the half helped you to set a PMP? I know you've been wavering a bit. What's the number at the moment?

I'll see how I get on tomorrow morning. There seems to be such a fine line between running comfortably and over-cooking it that I'm still finding my comfort zone when it comes to a PMP. Yes, last Saturday certainly went a long way towards me knowing what that might be but at the moment I'm thinking if I manage to maintain a solid enough pace of between 8:30/8:50 a mile, I'll be in with a shout of a 3:40(ish) finish. I think going for a 3:30 will be putting myself under a bit too much pressure but with over 6 weeks still to go, who knows? ;)
    Then again, I was quite easily able to hold a 7:30 pace through the half marathon, that's got to count for something, right?

Wednesday 12th September - 1 mile w/u, 9 mile PMP, 1 mile c/d

Well THAT went the shape of a pear.

Went to bed last night thinking I'd have little to do before leaving the house as all I had to do was do the usual bits and pieces (getting the kids ready for school, make lunches, make brekkie), get into my running gear and go. Between completely mis-timing everything and some unwelcome distractions, ended up leaving the house 15 minutes later than I should have so I was immediately under pressure even before I started running.
    I set off feeling agitated, already knowing that this would not be an enjoyable experience. The so-called 'warm-up' mile was anything but (8:46).
    As for the 9 miles PMP, I knew from half way through the first mile that I was going too fast, matching my pace from last weekend's half marathon. Not the plan for October's marathon.

Anyway, I had no choice but to keep going, thinking about little else than wondering if I was going to be late for work or not. Very frustrating.

Despite all of this, I felt ok throughout and managed to maintain this pace for the majority of the run (slowed down a little when running up the Upper Glen Road).
    The cool down mile was an improvement, mainly put down to the fact that I knew I'd be late for work anyway so told myself to slow down a little. Was five minutes late for work. Could have been worse.

Still, a big lesson learned today. Be prepared!!! :(

Ha, I was wondering what was going on when I saw your run on Strava.

Look these things happen and you handled the pace and you’ll know for the next day.

I'm ratting to S ;)

• Advertisement

I'm ratting to S ;)

Haha, probably no need. He can sense it. :D

I'm ratting to S ;)

Haha, probably no need. He can sense it. :D
    I'd say he can smell the heat coming off the soles of our running shoes when we hit the "danger zone" :)

Ah now I have a compassionate side too...4 mitigating factors get you off the hook. 1. Good behaviour to date. 2. Its net downhill from Lucan to the city. 3. Strong breeze from the west today. 4. You were late. :D

Teachers pet K

Ah now I have a compassionate side too...4 mitigating factors get you off the hook. 1. Good behaviour to date. 2. Its net downhill from Lucan to the city. 3. Strong breeze from the west today. 4. You were late. :D

Haha, thanks for that! :pac:
    All joking aside, I'm really annoyed with myself as it was the one run I was looking forward to most. Should have just taken the bus and run home from work or just left it till this evening. Was a beautiful morning too, hard to resist!

• Advertisement
Advertisement