Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run for your life!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

coogy wrote: »

One thing I haven't mentioned up till now is the recent weight loss I experienced which drew comments (and some concern) from my wife, some family members and work colleagues.
    The weight seemed to drop off me really quickly around late May/early June. Thing is, I didn't really have any excess weight to lose in the first place so before I knew it, I was tightening my belt another couple of notches and summer clothes from 2017 were actually falling off me. I know now, looking back, that I wasn't getting the right amount of nutrition. I was so caught up in the running side of it that my pre and post-race meals were nowhere near what I should have been eating.
    I've thankfully managed to get on top of it now and have put on some weight in the last couple of weeks, although probably not as much as I need to. I am very conscious of it though and I know how important all over body strength is at times like this so am still trying to fatten up some more!
    You're going to get a lot of comments like this between now and October, even if you don't lose weight! My shape changed a lot this year training for Limerick, but weight stayed the same for the most part! And people really love to comment on it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

13 mile run tomorrow.....

I'm becoming increasingly stumped/bamboozled/confuffled over what sort of nutrition (if any) I should be taking on a run of that distance.

I've been staying well hydrated all week, I have Zero tabs for my water during the run (I've decided to take just a small bottle with me) and a handful of Jelly Babies. Pre-run - given the early hour - I'll eat an orange and some grapes before I set off which normally does the trick.

Something is telling me though that it won't be enough. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow........:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

13 mile run tomorrow.....

I'm becoming increasingly stumped/bamboozled/confuffled over what sort of nutrition (if any) I should be taking on a run of that distance.

I've been staying well hydrated all week, I have Zero tabs for my water during the run (I've decided to take just a small bottle with me) and a handful of Jelly Babies. Pre-run - given the early hour - I'll eat an orange and some grapes before I set off which normally does the trick.

Something is telling me though that it won't be enough. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow........:confused:

Everybody is different but it’s only in the last few months that I don’t need anything on a 13 mile run. Before that I would have brought along a gel or two and then I reduced that to haribos and now I don’t generally need anything. However an orange and grapes would not do me before going out. I would need some carbs of some sort - porridge or a bagel with peanut butter. As your runs get longer you’ll probably need more the evening before and then your breakfast. You need to start thinking about breakfast on race day and practicing running after that.

Tomorrow why don’t you carry some haribos with you and see how you get on? The salt tablets don’t give you energy directly though they help prevent you becoming dehydrated which would obviously sap your energy.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Everybody is different but it’s only in the last few months that I don’t need anything on a 13 mile run. Before that I would have brought along a gel or two and then I reduced that to haribos and now I don’t generally need anything. However an orange and grapes would not do me before going out. I would need some carbs of some sort - porridge or a bagel with peanut butter. As your runs get longer you’ll probably need more the evening before and then your breakfast. You need to start thinking about breakfast on race day and practicing running after that.

Tomorrow why don’t you carry some haribos with you and see how you get on? The salt tablets don’t give you energy directly though they help prevent you becoming dehydrated which would obviously sap your energy.

Yeah, I totally agree with you that what I'm eating before a long run probably might not quite cut it. Because I leave the house so early (tomorrow I have no choice), my concern is that:
    a) I'll wake the others up while fixing something to eat
    b) If I do manage something more substantial like a bagel for instance, I would need to wait long enough before being able to head out on my run. An hour perhaps?

I know how important nutrition is but I'm just trying to avoid certain things that may scupper my plans!!! :(

Yeah, I totally agree with you that what I'm eating before a long run probably might not quite cut it. Because I leave the house so early (tomorrow I have no choice), my concern is that:
    b) If I do manage something more substantial like a bagel for instance, I would need to wait long enough before being able to head out on my run. An hour perhaps?

I know how important nutrition is but I'm just trying to avoid certain things that may scupper my plans!!! :(

I make my breakfast the night before. Either Baked Oats or Overnight Oats. Fly downstairs when I wake and have a cup of coffee and eat the breakfast and then back up to dressed etc. I drive to where I run so that gives me a bit of time to digest. I get the not wanting to hang around thing though. Last week I was getting out extra early but only had to do 9 miles. Just had two of my baked oat muffins and kept the rest in the car for after. They digest easier than a bagel I find or are lighter or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There is the perfect world and the real one. Very few get to space food, runs, rest etc. It's a case of doing the best we can. Prepare the bagel the night before perhaps to save making much noise. A banana is a quiet option. Eat first and then get ready to go out. I often eat a banana straight before a run and I have never had a problem with stitches or any other upsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Yeah, I totally agree with you that what I'm eating before a long run probably doesn't quite cut it. Because I leave the house so early (tomorrow I have no choice), my concern is that:

Have a decent carbohydrate meal the evening before your long run, pasta of some combination is my preferred choice, take a pint of electrolyte on board(recent convert to this myself)before you head out on your long run and you should be fine. That’s what works for me and i’ll do that up to 21 miles with only water taken on during the run. Find what works for you and when you do stick to it.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There is the perfect world and the real one. Very few get to space food, runs, rest etc. It's a case of doing the best we can. Prepare the bagel the night before perhaps to save making much noise. A banana is a quiet option. Eat first and then get ready to go out. I often eat a banana straight before a run and I have never had a problem with stitches or any other upsets.

Same here - I do need to make a pit stop the odd time if I eat too close to going out but just plan my run to make sure I’m passing toilets and not a problem.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Have a decent carbohydrate meal the evening before your long run, pasta of some combination is my preferred choice, take a pint of electrolyte on board(recent convert to this myself)before you head out on your long run and you should be fine. That’s what works for me and i’ll do that up to 21 miles with only water taken on during the run. Find what works for you and when you do stick to it.

OONegative, were you always able to do that where you could run long runs without needing energy of some sort during the run? I’d love to be able to do that but seem to fade rapidly. It’s taken me a while to build up to being able to run for 2 hours without taking something.

Sorry for hijacking your log Coogy.

OONegative, were you always able to do that where you could run long runs without needing energy of some sort during the run? I’d love to be able to do that but seem to fade rapidly. It’s taken me a while to build up to being able to run for 2 hours without taking something.

Not at all! The more the merrier!!! :D

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I would be more inclined to do.

Just preparing a pasta feast as I type!!!

There is the natural tendency to worry about these things as you up the miles before what you are used to. At the same time a level of perspective has to be kept. Our bodies have glycogen stores which enable us run up to a certain point before the need to top up. Your body will also begin to learn how to use fat as energy. Fluid loss (with notable exceptions such as OO) won't require much more than a bottle of water. As long as you keep the S part of the LSR at a sensible pace you won't need much extra to a good healthy diet.

As the runs get up to 18/20 miles it becomes a valuable exercise to test prospective DCM breakfast and fuel before the day.

Thanks Oonegative!! Appreciate your suggestions!

Definitely a case of fine-tuning from one week to the next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Yeah pretty much, the first marathon I trained for in 2016 I ran up to 22 miles and took two gels on board for that, I ran a few more runs of that distance and done the same apart from last one that I used as race day prep and took 4 gels that time to mimic race day situation. Training for Barcelona last year I took no gels on board during training. I have ran 2x18 miles so far in preparation for Köln, no gels and have 21 miles planned for Sunday and won’t take any. Good meal the night before and the electrolytes and i’ good.

Yeah pretty much, the first marathon I trained for in 2016 I ran up to 22 miles and took two gels on board for that, I ran a few more runs of that distance and done the same apart from last one that I used as race day prep and took 4 gels that time to mimic race day situation. Training for Barcelona last year I took no gels on board during training. I have ran 2x18 miles so far in preparation for Köln, no gels and have 21 miles planned for Sunday and won’t take any. Good meal the night before and the electrolytes and i’ good.

Thanks. I suppose it would be good to try without and see how it goes. It probably trains your body better anyway in terms of burning fat besides the need for practicing with gels closer to the time?

Thanks. I suppose it would be good to try without and see how it goes. It probably trains your body better anyway in terms of burning fat besides the need for practicing with gels closer to the time?

I'd definitely try it if I was you. If someone is struggling or fading on slow runs of less than two hours it is more likely because of something other than fuelling.

Playing catch up here with my training log!

Saturday's 13 mile run was in place of the South Dublin 10k and my longest run yet of the training schedule.

The anticipation of the run itself brought nerves once again, mostly from worrying about not waking up early enough as we had a day trip to Wexford planned at 10am.

Woke up just before the alarm went off at 5:45, made my way downstairs in the usual style of a jewel thief and was about to head out the door when my son appears behind me having just woken. My heart sank and though 'that's it, the jig's up'. Somehow managed to persuade him that it would be the best idea in the world for him to go back to bed.....which he thankfully did.

Donned my new running cap and off I went. I ordered new trainers online too which should arrive soon. Not a massive change from what I currently have but a slight step up.
    My run took in part of the South Dublin 10k route in Clondalkin (my hometown) and ran through Clondalkin Village while having vivid flashbacks of my childhood, passing my old primary school, the round tower (how that thing is still standing is beyond me) and a few other landmarks that took me further down memory lane. It was a really nice part of the run and took my mind off the task at hand for a few minutes at least.
    A not so good habit that I have allowed myself to get into recently is the constant checking of my running pace on my watch. I would love to be able to gauge my pace without constantly checking it every 30 seconds (or so it feels) but I'm so mindful of my pace that, for now at least, I feel like I don't have a choice.
    I was well hydrated in the days prior to the run but just to play it safe, I decided to take a small water bottle with a Zero tab. Also took along a handful of jelly babies. Not sure if the jellies actually make a difference, I'd prefer if I had some cliff bloks or something like that. That said, I didn't really feel a desperate need for anything but ate the jellies at mile 10 just because I love jellies.......:)

For the most part, even though I was checking my watch for pace regularly enough, there was no part of the run where I was thinking "am I there yet?" which was a good sign, I think. And more importantly for me, I continue to enjoy these long runs and cannot see that stopping any time soon.

Even though it wasn't my first time to run 13 miles, I felt like this was a real milestone for me. Next week's 15 mile run will be even more so and it will hopefully give me even just some sense of what it's like to run the beginning of the second half of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Playing catch up here with my training log!

Saturday's 13 mile run was in place of the South Dublin 10k and my longest run yet of the training schedule.

The anticipation of the run itself brought nerves once again, mostly from worrying about not waking up early enough as we had a day trip to Wexford planned at 10am.

Woke up just before the alarm went off at 5:45, made my way downstairs in the usual style of a jewel thief and was about to head out the door when my son appears behind me having just woken. My heart sank and though 'that's it, the jig's up'. Somehow managed to persuade him that it would be the best idea in the world for him to go back to bed.....which he thankfully did.

Donned my new running cap and off I went. I ordered new trainers online too which should arrive soon. Not a massive change from what I currently have but a slight step up.
    My route took in part of the South Dublin 10k race in Clondalkin (my hometown) and ran through Clondalkin Village while having vivid flashbacks of my childhood, passing my old primary school, the round tower (how that thing is still standing is beyond me) and a few other landmarks that took me further down memory lane. It was a really nice part of the run and took my mind off the task at hand for a few minutes at least.
    A not so good habit that I have allowed myself to get into recently is the constant checking of my running pace on my watch. I would love to be able to gauge my pace without constantly checking it every 30 seconds (or so it feels) but I'm so mindful of my pace that, for now at least, I feel like I don't have a choice.
    I was well hydrated in the days prior to the run but just to play it safe, I decided to take a small water bottle with a Zero tab. Also took along a handful of jelly babies. Not sure if the jellies actually make a difference, I'd prefer if I had some cliff bloks or something like that. That said, I didn't really feel a desperate need for anything but ate the jellies at mile 10 just because I love jellies.......:)

For the most part, even though I was checking my watch for pace regularly enough, there was no part of the run where I was thinking "am I there yet?" which was a good sign, I think. And more importantly for me, I continue to enjoy these long runs and cannot see that stopping any time soon.

Even though it wasn't my first time to run 13 miles, I felt like this was a real milestone for me. Next week's 15 mile run will be even more so and it will hopefully give me even just some sense of what it's like to run the beginning of the second half of the marathon.

Great report of your long run coogy, i love the jewel thief description - one a lot of us can identify with :cool: 15m won't trouble you at all, i mentioned it in my post on the novices thread but i see this week as a big week - 15m is a fairly serious long run, 75% of the longest training run you will do! You're doing really well (the other highlighted sentence says it all really!), keep up the good work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I got a new Garmin recently and have been doing the exact same thing, can't help myself glancing.

It's definitely helped rein myself in tho. I was getting into a bad habit of having 4-5 miles of my LSR's about 30 seconds/mile too quick. I figure I'd rather have a bad habit of glancing at my watch too frequently rather than running at too quick a pace.
    And more importantly for me, I continue to enjoy these long runs and cannot see that stopping any time soon.

I'm the same, I'd go as far as saying the long runs are my favourite run of the week!

So, for the first time in months, life appears to have started getting in the way.

Haven't managed a single early morning run this week and as I type, I have yet to do my 4 mile run as scheduled (it is now 9:30pm)

Was about to head out the door at 9pm but realised that the Garmin wasn't charged. Had to eat a later dinner 'cause I've not had a chance to eat much today so I am now planning to head out at 11pm. I would be a very unhappy camper if I were to miss out on any run.

I suppose I've done quite well to have made it to week 5 without any major distractions. Rest day tomorrow and lots of water (and rest) between now and Saturday's 15 mile run!

The disappointment of having to return my new running shoes that arrived yesterday means that I will now have to take my current ones on holiday with me. Ah well..........

• Advertisement

So, longest run to date today - both of this training schedule and of my time as a 'runner' - and I was very much up for this one.

Was well prepared as usual this morning and when I looked outside at the rain and wind, I was secretly relieved that I'd be doing my run in very different conditions to what I've been used to up till now.
    Didn't realise just how bad it was until I stepped outside and had to go back inside to fetch my running jacket just to play it safe. I picked a route earlier in the week from Map My Run but wasn't 100% happy with where it was taking me. Still, as I'd had such a busy week, I didn't really have time to be faffing over where I was going to run so decided to persevere and off I went.
    The rain was pretty heavy for the first mile or so and after about 1.5 miles, I took a look at the watch after wiping it dry and noticed that I had it on the wrong activity setting!!! It was still on 'Ride' from the day before and so half way through my second mile I had no choice but to start again. Was so annoyed with myself that I ended up being the most distracted I've ever been on a run yet. Couldn't focus at all and cursed myself for the next few miles at least. Finally got my head together and got back into it a rhythm eventually.
    The clouds started to clear a little but I was still not happy with the route that I chose and then started trying to figure out where I could have gone instead...more self-imposed torment!!
    At mile 10, I decided to have my first try of an energy gel. I wasn't desperate for it by any means but I figured the time was about right. Ripped open the top of the sachet and lost about 1/4 of it down my front. Struggled with the rest of it too so perhaps gels are not for me.
    A few moments later, the heavens opened again but all it did was make me think "this is exactly what it's all about, this is why I am training to run a marathon". You take the rough with the smooth, let it rain!!!!!
    This spurred me on no end and my last few miles pretty much flew past. Ran the last mile feeling really good about what I'd just done. Another major milestone to brag about to my loving family. :D
    Arrived home soaking wet but totally invigorated after running what ended up being 16.5 miles, all told. Was little miffed that the map of my route or the elevation wasn't recorded when I uploaded my run but I guess you can't have it every way........
    Definitely planning a change of scenery for next week!!!

Ok, so yesterday's 5 mile pace run took me a little by surprise.

I think perhaps it might be something to do with having become so accustomed to the easy pace runs over the last number of weeks. Hopefully the next few pace runs over the coming weeks of the schedule will get me used to that particular pace.

A lot of things went through my head during those 5 miles. The main one being: "am I going too fast?" It didn't feel like I was but it also lead me to question whether or not my marathon goal time of 3:30 was a realistic one. My aim yesterday was to try to run as close to 8 minute miles as possible which I think I did pretty well (I'm open to suggestions to the contrary).

I think I did pretty ok at the Irish Runner 10 mile a few weeks back. I was comfortable sticking with the 80 minute pacer and ended up finishing about two or three minutes ahead of him. Sure, there were times during the closing stages of that race that I started to tire but I had a reasonably strong finish.

I now feel like I have to do a half marathon to use as an indicator for October. I'd like to be standing at the start line of the marathon with a clear head!

Edit: when running with a pacer, is the aim to run at a consistent pace for the entire race or are there pacers who might run as a slightly easier pace before picking things up a little later in the run?

Ok, so yesterday's 5 mile pace run took me a little by surprise.

I think perhaps it might be something to do with having become so accustomed to the easy pace runs over the last number of weeks. Hopefully the next few pace runs over the coming weeks of the schedule will get me used to that particular pace.

A lot of things went through my head during those 5 miles. The main one being: "am I going too fast?" It didn't feel like I was but it also lead me to question whether or not my marathon goal time of 3:30 was a realistic one. My aim yesterday was to try to run as close to 8 minute miles as possible which I think I did pretty well (I'm open to suggestions to the contrary).

Edit: when running with a pacer, is the aim to run at a consistent pace for the entire race or are there pacers who might run as a slightly easier pace before picking things up a little later in the run?

Do you mean you found it fast or too easy?

Pacers tend to do an even pace around the route. Personally I run better without pacers or just loosely using them. I like being able to slow down on hills and pick up later so let the pacers go and reel them back in. Also on a course like Dublin, which is set up for a negative split then it might be better to start off slower and pick up after Castleknock when you’ve gotten to the highest part of the route. You can then aim to slowly catch up with the pacers.

Do you mean you found it fast or too easy?

Pacers tend to do an even pace around the route. Personally I run better without pacers or just loosely using them. I like being able to slow down on hills and pick up later so let the pacers go and reel them back in. Also on a course like Dublin, which is set up for a negative split then it might be better to start off slower and pick up after Castleknock when you’ve gotten to the highest part of the route. You can then aim to slowly catch up with the pacers.

It was more that it felt I was too fast and so instantly started freaking out about October, thinking I'd be on my knees come the half-way point! I definitely think that pace is manageable though.

I was thinking the same thing actually about staying within a reasonable distance to the pacers, rather than be running shoulder to shoulder. Less pressure!!!

Another thing to bare in mind with the pace groups is that they tend to be very busy/congested especially for the milestone times like 3:30, 4:00 etc. For the first 1-2km it is very congested anywhere you run and one thing i would advice is not to waste energy trying to get around crowds of people, it's better to accept a slow first couple of km and conserve your energy for later in the race. If you have decided to join a pace group they could potentially get away at this stage and it can be quite disheartening to watch them disappear. I think it's better to plan on running your own race, you may end up at some point hooking up with a group and it could potentially work out well for you but i wouldn't be like for you to be reliant on it.

ariana` wrote: »
    Another thing to bare in mind with the pace groups is that they tend to be very busy/congested especially for the milestone times like 3:30, 4:00 etc. For the first 1-2km it is very congested anywhere you run and one thing i would advice is not to waste energy trying to get around crowds of people, it's better to accept a slow first couple of km and conserve your energy for later in the race. If you have decided to join a pace group they could potentially get away at this stage and it can be quite disheartening to watch them disappear. I think it's better to plan on running your own race, you may end up at some point hooking up with a group and it could potentially work out well for you but i wouldn't be like for you to be reliant on it.

Thanks Ariana, that's definitely a sensible option! Last thing I want is to be flustered at the start line, have to remember to enjoy the experience too!!

Thanks Ariana, that's definitely a sensible option! Last thing I want is to be flustered at the start line, have to remember to enjoy the experience too!!

Absolutely key to it :)

Part of me can't quite believe that I just ran 16 miles but another part of me is thinking "yeah.....whatever"
    :cool:

So 6 weeks down and I must say, I'm very pleased with how things have gone so far.

This week was a biggie but I didn't really feel daunted in the slightest by the prospect of running 16 miles after last week's lsr. The things that occupy my mind most in the lead up to long runs are more to do with being well prepared and making sure that I'm in a positive frame of mind.

Wednesday's pace run - as I mentioned in a previous post - was good but it felt like I struggled a little at times with the pace. That said, I was still well within my comfort zone and I think that's an important thing for me......knowing what I'm capable of and what might be a step too far.

Speaking of which, yesterday's lsr...........
    I was on the road at 6:30am and this time, was far better prepared with my route than I had been the previous week. I was Phoenix Park bound, one of my favourite places to be.
    Even at that hour, I encountered runners who were on the way back from their early morning run. I know this because one of them is a work colleague.......:)
    Also, I decided to try out the cliff bloks for the first time and was hoping that I'd fare better with these than I did with the messy gels from last week.
    Pace-wise, I started off perhaps 15-20 seconds faster than I would have liked (mile 1 was 9:03) but I knew I wasn't over-doing it so decided that I would do my best to stay within 20-30 seconds of this pace, without going under 9 minute miles.
    The park was beautiful at that hour and as always, was heartened and encouraged by the other runners who were up and about. I sometimes feel like high-fiving every single one of them or at least acknowledge our communal efforts in some way. Mostly though, just a nod in their direction usually does the trick.
    I took my first cliff blok at the 6 mile mark, and another at mile 12 and they went down pretty ok. I had a small bottle of water with a Zero tab in it too. I know I wouldn't have lasted the pace without them. As I exited the park, it felt like I had slightly overestimated the route by about a mile. This was at the 11 mile mark but what amazed me was just how much I have become used to what it feels like to run a mile and being able to gauge the distance of the remainder of my run based on that. Turns out I was bang on. My route was exactly one mile beyond the planned 16 so in the end, used it as a cool down run back to the house. :D
    Legs felt ok-ish coming into the final stretch and as with previous long runs, was by no means out of gas during the last mile or two which gives me hope for October.

Took my 7 year old son to his 6th Junior Park run this morning. He's absolutely flying it. His last four finishes have been 36th, 35th, 22nd and 19th. All out of an average turnout of about 140 or so kids. So proud of him!
    Could have used today (Sunday) as a rest day but wanted to get out for a recovery run after yesterday's efforts.

Anyway, that 'step too far' I mentioned earlier......this long run allowed me to think a little more clearly about my goal time for the marathon. At various stages, I tried to picture myself running at a pace of no more than 8 minute miles for the whole 26 miles and somehow I could not. So, in the interest of common sense, it looks like I might need to readjust what was probably always a pipe dream finish time of 3:30 to a more realistic time of 3:31 3:45. Actually, anything under 4 hours and I will be thrilled silly.

So, the two week holiday. Naturally, I am bringing pretty much all my running gear (the foam roller has to stay behind :roll eyes:)
    I have accepted that it is unlikely that I will be able to do every single run over the course of the two weeks but I will do whatever I can do.
    My OH is fretting big time, worried that my obsession with running and the demands of the training, will prevent me - and more importantly her - from enjoying the actual holiday itself. I have reassured her on numerous occasions that although I intend to get a certain amount of running in, I will only do what's achievable. I'm not sure if that means sacrificing the long runs or the midweek ones. Perhaps a midweek pace run, recovery run and slightly shortened lsr? I really don't know how it's going to pan out until I see how the first one goes............wish me luck!! ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, just a quick update to my log while I make the most of the head-scratchingly unconventional wi-fi availability in our hotel (only available within the four walls of the recption area).
    Tuesday's 4 mile easy run was a write-off due to being knackered from Monday's overnight travelling (never again!)

Wednesday - Pace run (1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d)
    Made sure I was well prepared the night before for this one as it would probably determine whether or not I would manage any more runs for the rest of our stay here.
    Was out the door just after 6am and within 5 minutes of setting off, I noticed a few other runners about which was good to see but not long after, we were completely outnumbered by party goers, unsteady on their feet as they made their way back to their hotels after a night's shenanigans. Reminded me of an all too distant past as a young, free and single twenty-something but now would rather be running any day of the week! 😎
    Even though I was on unfamiliar territory, I felt ok as I had familiarised myself with the route before we left Dublin and the majority of it was either on footpaths or pedestrianised streets. The pace part of the run was a little tough and if I'd have left it another hour, I'd have struggled. The three cliff bloks and water with zero tabs along the way certainly helped.
    Came back to the room to find everyone still out for the count, even after I had fixed myself a post-run breakfast, mere feet from where they were sleeping. Encouraging signs for my 14 mile lsr on Saturday! 😊

Thursday - 4 mile easy run
    Got up early again and encountered way more runners than the previous day, some of which I could tell were holiday makers like myself. Also out in force again were more revellers stumbling their way through the early morning sunshine like vampires desperately fleeing the suns rays.
    The run itself was very enjoyable, especially now that I was more familiar with my surroundings and made sure not to overdo it, sticking to a nice easy pace. Once again, returned to three sleeping heads so am now raring to go for tomorrow's lsr........provided I can stay away from the ridiculously cheap Bulgarian beer........😉

Advertisement