Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Taytoland wrote: »
    You would get obliterated with the RAF destroying all and any facilities you might have to wage war. This is why I have said the UK government needs to form a great relationship with the US and go for rearmament and build the military in case it comes to a conflict with the EU with US backing. 
    I'd love to see the US destroy the EU in a conflict.

Eha wha

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The way things are going the British will be paddling around in canoes throwing spears, they had to opt out of a jape in the middle east a while back because they couldn't afford it.

Did they find the money to finish those aircraft carriers they were building or properly equipping?

If they are going to join up with the US they will have to borrow off them again like they did in WW2.

The way things are going the British will be paddling around in canoes throwing spears, they had to opt out of a jape in the middle east a while back because they couldn't afford it.

Did they find the money to finish those aircraft carriers they were building or properly equipping?

If they are going to join up with the US they will have to borrow off them again like they did in WW2.

A jape in the middle east?

was there a number of countries lining up to take the piss out of something? who was the object of this "Jape" and why did they deserve to be mocked?

How much would it have cost to participate in this mocking and why could the UK not afford it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

It's a damned tricky thing to paddle a canoe while simultaneously throwing a spear, takes years of training, I'd imagine.

Just to be safe, I'd strongly advise you to stick to launching peas at them with your trusty, long-range peashooter, Francie.

Turnipman wrote: »
    It's a damned tricky thing to paddle a canoe while simultaneously throwing a spear, takes years of training, I'd imagine.

Just to be safe, I'd strongly advise you to stick to launching peas at them with your trusty, long-range peashooter, Francie.

I have forks a plenty Turnipman! :)

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    A jape in the middle east?

was there a number of countries lining up to take the piss out of something? who was the object of this "Jape" and why did they deserve to be mocked?

How much would it have cost to participate in this mocking and why could the UK not afford it?

Have you never read of the Famous Five's or Bertie Wooster's 'jolly japes'?

You do disappoint Aegir! A spliffing good adventure is a jolly jape.

Have you never read of the Famous Five's or Bertie Wooster's 'jolly japes'?

You do disappoint Aegir! A spliffing good adventure is a jolly jape.

what were the famous five doing in the middle east?

and its spiffing, not spliffing. that seems to be what you do before posting on boards

and its spiffing, not spliffing. that seems to be what you do before posting on boards

I stand corrected on that ^, I am not, like yourself maybe - an expert of the upper class lingo, although I like the ring of that - 'a spliffing good adventure'.

The power of propaganda is terrifying.

I was speaking to an English friend a few months ago, and he was quite outraged at the Irish governments "stubborn" stance on the border.

He was quite shocked when I pointed out that a hard border would have serious financial implications for Ireland, and border Counties in particular, and that, in my view, the Irish Government were merely doing their duty in protecting our interests.

It genuinely hadn't occurred to him that Brexit would actually impact anyone except the English - which is astonishing in an intelligent man, until you consider the one-sided view being peddled by the "British" media - the one that only seems interested in the effect of Brexit on England, while ignoring NI, Scotland, and Wales.

Little wonder then, that they haven't considered the Irish viewpoint.
    They haven't considered much of the British viewpoint, either - just the English one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.

i think we have been supporting them, and given theresa May time which she desperately needs but clock is ticking and cards are gonna fall soon.
    no deal is looming and we are just gonna have roll with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Detecting and frustrating smugglers, I imagine. When did they ever do anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We should be together, together, we should be walking side by side, keeping each other satisfied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

jooksavage wrote: »

You are a psychopath.
    He was calling for the genocide of Palestinians a few days ago.

He was calling for the genocide of Palestinians a few days ago.

He's a busy boy as well as a naughty boy! :)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Detecting and frustrating smugglers, I imagine. When did they ever do anything else?

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.

I think that you've got some sort of a mix up there.
    First the Brexit Brits and their Brexit govt have created the mass they are now in. Therefore every allegation of Ireland bullying the UK is not just total nonsense but part of the ugly insane lying Brexit propaganda cos it is always everyone elses fault and never their own fault of their stupidity and fact-resistance no matter how many times being told that they are utterly wrong will end up with their UK in tatters, constitutionally (Scottish IndyRef2) and economically (no deal Brexit on its way).

Second, it will be the 'Little Englanders' who will regret this Brexit folly sooner than they even might think. Pity the other 48% remainers who are still fighting an nearly lost fight to bring about a reverse of Brexit by various means but are still not yet successful. It is them who have to suffer for the idiocy of the Brexiteers.

Third, it looks that Brexit UK has no real friends, not even 'Trumple the Donald MAGA'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You would get obliterated with the RAF destroying all and any facilities you might have to wage war. This is why I have said the UK government needs to form a great relationship with the US and go for rearmament and build the military in case it comes to a conflict with the EU with US backing. 

lol. Moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

The power of propaganda is terrifying.

I was speaking to an English friend a few months ago, and he was quite outraged at the Irish governments "stubborn" stance on the border.

He was quite shocked when I pointed out that a hard border would have serious financial implications for Ireland, and border Counties in particular, and that, in my view, the Irish Government were merely doing their duty in protecting our interests.

It genuinely hadn't occurred to him that Brexit would actually impact anyone except the English - which is astonishing in an intelligent man, until you consider the one-sided  view being peddled by the "British" media - the one that only seems interested in the effect of Brexit on England, while ignoring NI, Scotland, and Wales.

Little wonder then, that they haven't considered the Irish viewpoint.
    They haven't considered much of the British viewpoint, either - just the English one.

Sums it up. I've been following this Brexit idiocy by the articles of the Guardian (for I despise the tabloids and hold the BBC no longer as that trustworthy like before BrexitRef). There, the viewpoints of various countries, including Ireland, in regards of the way how Brexit will affect them are dealt with.

But as I have got fed up with all this Brexit Sh1te, I have decided to take a break from it cos I can't do anything to prevent that Brexit lunacy from happen anyway. The Brexit-Brits are ruining the whole lives of many people and they even threatening the very existence of the UK itself because the worse the Brexit negotiations get and the more a hard Brexit emerges from that as the more likely realistic result of it, the more support the SNP will gain for an IndyRef2 with probably an increase in numbers of people who will eventually vote in favour of an Independent Scotland.

It's been an up and down for the past two years with nothing really achieved, the compromise from last December already questioned again a couple of weeks ago during the Maybots visit to NI where the nasty DUP leader Foster probably has told her what to say and to do. Time is running out for them Brexit-Brits and they happily look forward to the hard Brexit they yearn so much for and which they'll get in the end with all the consequences that come with it. It has been already reported that the Brits are advised to stock up not just food, but also medication (which is already in Hand in hospitals). But medication cannot be stocked up for very long time periods, not all of them, the most important ones for the treatment of cancer patients (for example) have a much shorter period for use and have to be replaced by fresh ones.

Brexit will affect every single and also minor aspect in daily life that with a hard one as the final result, the consequences of it by the lack of new supplies from outside the UK will be on a scale which will certainly cost the lives of the vulnerable. One has just to recall the NHS crisis from last winter (around the turn of the year) when the NHS was at the brink of collaps and the Maybot wasn't too much concerned to do anything against it. With NHS personnel from EU member states either already leaving or going to leave because of the bleak prospect of living and working in a post-Brexit UK, the NHS will have to struggle with a huge amount of reduction in staff because they can't be replaced in such a short time like the stupid Brexiteers think (and they have no clue at all about anything).

The UK is about to commit economical suicide which will end up in the break up of the UK itself. That is meant to be happening in the next couple of years to come. All efforts by the anti-Brexit campaigners have been without growing support by the majority of the electorate so far to reverse BrexitRef by a BrexitRef2. They are still on it to bring about a BrexitRef2, but their prospect of gaining more support for that by getting more MPs on their side is not that bright at the moment. Maybe they can achieve it in spite of all odds within the more and more smaller getting time frame, but I wouldn't bet on their success. That is because the Labour Party, despite 'keeping the door open for BrexitRef2' is not prepared to go beyond the usual hot air talk its leader always provides. That is because he is himself a Brexiter, even if one grants him the label 'soft Brexiter'.

I am no more optimistic that anything will happen to reverse Brexit, not even some 'face-saving blind Brexit' like in this linked article:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/01/german-sources-deny-brexit-deal-offer-amid-panic-in-remain-campaign

Not surprised at this to be honest, given your background.

Those with colonial background are quite prone to this type of non-sensible outburst....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

David Davis - the Comical Ali of the May regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

LOL at David Davis' "they're on the ropes now" analysis of the situation. The fact that he was ever involved in Brexit negotiations at all is a damning indictment of the state of UK politics. He fancies himself as some kind of latter-day Churchill, urging on Blighty to stand up to continental aggressors. He's really just a delusion boxing coach, pushing his already punch-drunk man back out for another barrage of fists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

We don't "bully" the United Kingdom. Do you ever get bored of yourself Kermit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Many members of the EU disagree with the way that it has evolved from the E.E.C. to its present state. The U.K decided to try and have changes made to policies they were not in agreement with. David Cameton went to Brussels in an attempt to negotiate changes and was more or less told to **** off home.
    Anyone who knows British history would realise the British wouldnt take this lying down.
    The arrogance of the EU is as much to blame for Brexit as the British.
    Ireland of course are making the mistake in thinking that the German and the French. are our gallant allies. That approach really worked out the night of the bank guarantee didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Edgware wrote: »
    The arrogance of the EU is as much to blame for Brexit as the British. Ireland of course are making the mistake in thinking that the German and the French. are our gallant allies. That approach really worked out the night of the bank guarantee didn't it?

Yes, it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

Edgware wrote: »
    The arrogance of the EU is as much to blame for Brexit as the British.

The British are the EU.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

The British are the EU.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

I'm Sparticus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

blazard wrote: »
    no deal is looming and we are just gonna have roll with it.

And nothing is being done to prepare for that scenario. I called a no-deal Brexit and a hard border on day one. It was the the only realistic end game, once the British people voted to leave. The Irish government have had years to prepare for this but they've done nothing about the impact that it is going to have on the daily life of people here. I was talking to a lady who works in the agribusiness sector at the weekend and she is very concerned about what is going to happen when the hard Brexit kicks in. She finds it hard to see how her company will be able to avoid redundancies, given the reduction in trade and the increase in costs for their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Berserker wrote: »
    The Irish government have had years to prepare for this but they've done nothing about the impact that it is going to have on the daily life of people here.

That is not true at all, they have done a lot of work.

This year, a lot of it has been on the QT to avoid giving the Brits ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

That is not true at all, they have done a lot of work.

This year, a lot of it has been on the QT to avoid giving the Brits ideas.

How do you know about it then? The lady I posted about above is a senior figure in her organisation and she's heard nothing. Nothing that's viable in reality, I mean.

Advertisement