Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Aegir wrote: »
    ha ha ha ha

I wonder why the British government has such a large national debt if it was as easy as harvesting the magic money tree:confused:

Shinnernomics at its finest. "Need more money, we'll just print some".

The EU created loads of money too. It's called quantitive easing.
    https://www.investopedia.com/terms/q/quantitative-easing.asp

It was all over the news for years. And it's certainly not Shinnernomics. Not when the FED and ECB were doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Taytoland wrote: »
    I didn't say it did, EU immigration was still far too high.

We have higher immigration per capita from EU citizens than the UK. Is ours is too high, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its the vast numbers of Eastern Europeans clogging up the NHS.

My aunt is waiting 4 weeks for a doctor appointment in Scotland. My cousin cant find a school for his kid as they are full.

Its immigration from the EU /SNP policy or both.

People voted for Britex because they got sick of seeing free loaders from Poland getting preferential treatment when they give nothing back.

Its immigration from the EU not Pakistan that is the issue.

Good luck with getting an appointment once all of the EU NHS staff leave.

Weren't the Brits the original globalists? Or at least Imperialists

And the feckers didn't have too much respect for other peoples' borders back in the day

Actually, the UK had open borders back in the day. I only discovered this over the weekend. There as a point up to victorian times when the english were proud that literally anyone could come to England.

This is quite an interesting show.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Good luck with getting an appointment once all of the EU NHS staff leave.

Plus aren't the EU expats less likely to use the health-service ( because they're generally younger) and so they are more likely to generate money towards the exchequer rather than taking from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My aunt is waiting 4 weeks for a doctor appointment in Scotland. My cousin cant find a school for his kid as they are full.

People voted for Britex because they got sick of seeing free loaders from Poland getting preferential treatment when they give nothing back.

So what was the reason for the 3 week wait my parents had every time they made a doctor's appointment in a leafy Wiltshire village with very few immigrants, and the ones there are have been there.for decades?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Proof that Eastern Europeans are clogging up the NHS?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Think you should check the numbers on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Britain is not our biggest trading partner; the US is. I don't know where doolox gets his figures from; the UK accounts for 15% of our exports and 32% of our imports. The notion that we are "bullying" the UK is just laughable and as for Varadkar "showing more tact", well, we tried the softly, softly approach and the UK basically ignored us. If we are now upfront about defending our own interests, that is entirely the result of the UK's policy of ignoring unpleasant realities unless given no choice.

It is possible that there may be some backlash from some quarters in Britain against Ireland for trying to protect our interests. That would not be a reason, however, to give up trying to protect our interests.

I would say SMEs which employ the vast bulk of people in this country the UK is FAR FAR more relevant market to them than the US market which is predominantly because of multinationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

That's because of all the old and unemployed people in Scotland.Not generally young hard working Eastern Europeans.

I could imagine women from muslim countries not allowed by their husbands to work with lots of kids could well clog up the NHS. Not Polish people.

Last time I was in a doctor's surgery here in Ireland with my elderly mum was all young mothers with medical cards and old people. Young working people can't afford the cost or the time off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Aegir wrote:
    because you don't understand it, doesn't make it magical.

Been researching it for the last couple of years, be very interested to hear your opinions on the matter, as it seems very magical to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wonder what the effects on the NHS of swapping young, presumably healthy on average, Eastern Europeans for the English ex-pats and retirees living over in Spain and leeching off the Spanish health care system would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

my wife is from Scotland - her Mum complains of waiting lists for appointments

there are f**k all Polish people around where they live

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So many in the UK have been stoked by this racist 'themun's took it all' factually untrue nonsense.
    Stoked by those who want Brexit to happen because they think they can gain from it and won't suffer much if it goes tits up. They don't care that the angry, easily stoked will be the ones to suffer recession and lack of hope that we haven't seen since the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

zapitastas wrote: »
    Free loaders from Poland? Are there loads of polish people that have moved to Scotland to sit around doing nothing on the meagre unemployment payments there? Have you any stats to back that up? Sounds like perpetuating xenophobic rubbish to me
    Don't forget before it was "The Mooslems", it was "the Nigerians from Africa", and before it was "the Nigerians from Africa", it was "the Eastern Europeans".

They're tripping over themselves at this point in terms of where to point for scapegoats, wouldn't surprise me in the least for it to be "Paddy Irishman" again in a short few years, probably more in reference to the North as we'll have feck all reason to move there.

The key though is, each time you discriminate against one with a broad brush you must do all in your power to pretend to have never done the same to the others. Hence why life is getting a little confusing for the pro-Brexit crowd in this current climate. :D

So many in the UK have been stoked by this racist 'themun's took it all' factually untrue nonsense.
    Stoked by those who want Brexit to happen because they think they can gain from it and won't suffer much if it goes tits up. They don't care that the angry, easily stoked will be the ones to suffer recession and lack of hope that we haven't seen since the 80's.

You mean like the ones that blame German bond holders for Ireland’s debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You mean like the ones that blame German bond holders for Ireland’s debt?

'Look over there' post of the day. Well done A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Don't forget before it was "The Mooslems", it was "the Nigerians from Africa", and before it was "the Nigerians from Africa", it was "the Eastern Europeans".

They're tripping over themselves at this point in terms of where to point for scapegoats, wouldn't surprise me in the least for it to be "Paddy Irishman" again in a short few years, probably more in reference to the North as we'll have feck all reason to move there.

The key though is, each time you discriminate against one with a broad brush you must do all in your power to pretend to have never done the same to the others. Hence why life is getting a little confusing for the pro-Brexit crowd in this current climate. :D

It was Jamaicans at one stage. "yardies" or something. If you went by the Mail.

'Look over there' post of the day. Well done A.

Copying isn’t cool Francis

Odhinn wrote: »
    It was Jamaicans at one stage. "yardies" or something. If you went by the Mail.

Ignoring the usual daily mail racism, yardie gun crime in London was a major issue, which is why the Met police set up operation Trident.

Yardies were a significant problem in both London and Kingston. That isn’t racism or blaming foreigners, that is an established fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ignoring the usual daily mail racism, yardie gun crime in London was a major issue, which is why the Met police set up operation Trident.

Yardies were a significant problem in both London and Kingston. That isn’t racism or blaming foreigners, that is an established fact.

...bit hard to, tbh. The tone was completely OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Polls demonstrate that most people voted leave to control immigration. A dislike of the foreigner is at heart here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

If anything we should double down on our imaginary bullying of our lessers.

Seems to annoy the snot out of them and sure if we're getting the blame for it anyway then what harm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brits could always control immigration from outside the EU.

Their power to do that remains the same post-Brexit as it did pre-Brexit.
    Nope.

India has made it very, very clear that more visas will be part of any future trade deal.

Expect the same from other ex-colonies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

We need someone to do a April 20th 1653 on Theresa May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

India has made it very, very clear that more visas will be part of any future trade deal.

That's not a matter of power, though. That's a matter of the wisdom of exercising it. We're dealing with the "economic self-harm" wing of the Tory party (and allied trades), recall.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Polls demonstrate that most people voted leave to control immigration. A dislike of the foreigner is at heart here.

That’s not what I was saying though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Taytoland wrote: »
    We need someone to do a April 20th 1653 on Theresa May.

From the man himself
    You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nope.

Expect the same from other ex-colonies.

That's beside the point.

They still ultimately have the power to say no. That was the same before and after Brexit

Their moaning against the EU was that somehow they evil bad EU was taking the ability to say no, under any circumstances, away. Which was true but only for EU nationals.

My point was simply that if that was really an issue, they could have stopped or controlled non-EU immigration without Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Utter Drivel. My sister works in a GPs surgery in Edinburgh.
    Some of the problems she described to me are -
    - people making appointments and not turning up - it has gotten so bad that if they do it 3 times, they are removed from the practice
    - obesity - people told to lose weight and at the next appointment miraculously it goes up (despite not eating anything). Obese people need more medical care
    - ageing population - it maybe a surprise to you that older people need more medical care
    - GP's retiring

Advertisement