Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

Good news, I just followed up with UCD and apparently those fees were incorrect - they’ve now been updated to the correct figure at 15,350 :) a little bit more money in our pockets at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Good news, I just followed up with UCD and apparently those fees were incorrect - they’ve now been updated to the correct figure at 15,350 :) a little bit more money in our pockets at least!

Oh fantastic!!! That would probably be more in or around the 4% figure they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Any random current current GEMs here know how much tax relief we can get on fees? Read this from 2015

"If you paid tax this year then you can claim tax relief. You can claim up to a max of 7000 per course per year. This first 3000 is disregarded. So you get 20% of 4000 tax relief i.e 800euro tax back. That's if you have earned enough and paid 800 tax though.

If you haven't paid tax this year then get a parent to submit the receipt in their name so they can get tax relief."

I presume the max is set at 7000 because thats generally the full fees cost of a normal undergrad course. And the first 3000 surely wouldn't be disregarded because we've already out of the free fees scheme? Just me dreaming we can get 1400 instead of 800 yaro in tax relief....

I'm fairly certain it's 800 per year. If you pay in two lots in final year you can get the 800 twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

The whole revenue thing is a joke really. My parent who are both PAYE applied to get a refund on college fees for my sister and I, revenue did a review and they end up with less than a hundred euro.
    If my 55 gets me in to UL I most likely will not be able to accept with the high fees, I think the astronomical fees is most likely the reason why the cut offs may be lower this year. Anyway all will be revealed shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

The downside to getting into UL is that you're guaranteed the BOI loan only if you get the scholarship, the other Medical schools guarantee the loan to every applicant admitted a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

The downside to getting into UL is that you're guaranteed the BOI loan only if you get the scholarship, the other Medical schools guarantee the loan to every applicant admitted a place.

Sorry to be forward but what’s your source on this?
    UL Scholarship students don’t have to worry about getting a loan: their tuition is paid for. And as far as I know, other medical school students must go through the same loan approval process: nothing is guaranteed anywhere in the country.

I didn’t know that anyway I will worry about that tomorrow if UL offer me a place on 55 I may start to crowd fund. Some weeks back I was reasonably confident that I had enough with my score however as the day approaches I am starting to have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

It's funny that you say that moss house - the closer it is getting the more nervous I am also.  I am also on 55 with UL as my first choice.  Have you applied for any of the UL loans?  Or even gone into citizens information to see if you can apply for any financial assistance?  I imagine there is some support out there for adult students returning to college and paying full fees...

I’ll see what tomorrow brings first and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Limk88 wrote: »
    It's funny that you say that moss house - the closer it is getting the more nervous I am also.  I am also on 55 with UL as my first choice.  Have you applied for any of the UL loans?  Or even gone into citizens information to see if you can apply for any financial assistance?  I imagine there is some support out there for adult students returning to college and paying full fees...
    There is literally nothing. If you're on the dole and you're moving up the qualification scale you get back to education allowance. However, GEM requires a level 8 degree and you come out with a level 8 degree. No progression so no back to ed allowance. Ditto with grants available. Check if your credit union does a bursary. You might be lucky and win that. On a low income you might qualify for a medical card, which in turn gives discounts on childcare. There's not even help for university students for childcare. Help for other levels of education, but not uni. It's frustrating trying to do this with a family and to see what's available to others in similar situations but not to us.
    Literally all that I've found is the tax refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pingding

What time are the offers out tomorrow, 9am?

Yes that’s a pretty good summary of where things are at system can be very unfair.
    I may not have this financial problem depending on what tomorrow brings and if that is the case I will start looking at other options

Pingding wrote: »

6am

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Pingding wrote: »

6am no?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Another random question for any current UCD peeps. When we get the offers tomorrow is it through the CAO? Which we then accept and receive an email from UCD to register for a UCD connect account immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TerryS66

Good luck tomorrow everyone. Fees for UCD 2018 are posted on their website. 15350e per year. Its on their website - google ucd course fees 2018.

I applied for BOI loan in advance of CAO just to make sure I would get one. Process was pretty straightforward - my dad is my guarantor. Was approved within a few days. Fingers crossed it all goes well tomorrow.

Your sorted then. Best of luck to you with it all.
    Is UCD your first option

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TerryS66

UCD is my number 1. I had debated between UCD, RCSI and UL for a long time, but happy enough with my choice in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Scores well down apparently from a friend working in the CAO. UL 51. UCC 54. RCPI 58. UCD 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pingding

Scores well down apparently from a friend working in the CAO. UL 51. UCC 54. RCPI 58. UCD 60.

If that's true then UCD has gone up from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Interesting, but How reliable is this tho

If that is reliable information it will be a big relief to many people give everybody a fighting chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PlaysDestiny

Id be very suprised with 51 for limerick first round.

debbysoap wrote: »

Sorry to be forward but what’s your source on this?
    UL Scholarship students don’t have to worry about  getting a loan: their tuition is paid for. And as far as I know, other medical school students must go through the same loan approval process: nothing is guaranteed anywhere in the country.

Sorry if you've misinterpreted my comment, but i clearly mentioned that UL students get the BOI loan as long as get a place and receive the scholarship, while other medical school provide the loans to all successful applicants.
    It's written in the UL scholarship notice and on every medical school finance/funding page.

Scores well down apparently from a friend working in the CAO.  UL 51. UCC 54. RCPI 58. UCD 60.
    I wouldn't take this info seriously as we've seen some outlandish comments you've made on these forums in the past.
    Remember this; 
    "WARNING you still have time to back out before signing yourself up to a lifetime of debt, a lifetime of servitude, crap teaching, crap lifestyle and a system that will try to destroy you at every step of the way. Make no mistake. The hse survives simply because incredible people trudge through......."
    13-Jul-2018 23:50 in GAMSAT and GEM by brendanwalsh

Sorry if you've misinterpreted my comment, but i clearly mentioned that UL students get the BOI loan as long as get a place and receive the scholarship, while other medical school provide the loans to all successful applicants.
    It's written in the UL scholarship notice and on every medical school finance/funding page.

Oh right, I see what you mean - they must’ve changed it though, as the loan is now also open to students awarded a CAO place at UL.

Ah well, everyone will know where they’re heading tomorrow.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I wouldn't take this info seriously as we've seen some outlandish comments you've made on these forums in the past.
    Remember this; 

I stand by that comment
    Cheers bud

Found it

Agree that 51 looks quite a drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

moss house wrote: »
    Found it

Is that old? The UCD BOI loan is a max of ten years I’d have thought they’d be the same for every college

Advertisement