Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options
  • 27-07-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw on the news the family of Deirdre Jacob making another appeal on the Twenty anniversary of her disappearance.
    I always remember this case being on Crimeline/Crimecall growing up and seeing her parents age as the years went on.
    It's strange to think that somebody out there might know something and aren't coming forward.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0727/981443-deirdre-jacob/

Mod NoteAvoid speculation and naming individuals/etc please.

By the way talk about other cases but don't overly speculate to much.
    Talk about similar cases etc bit don't say x did this etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I saw that on the news earlier and it must be absolutely heart breaking not knowing. I must admit I have no recollection of this particular incident at the time, unlike other missing persons stories over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

20 years. You think you have problems and get yourself worked up over the stupidest things, politics, problems 1000's of miles away that have nothing to do with your immediate real world, all that useless noise, when people like that woman's family, all the families of these missing people are living a continuous level of a real life unknowing vague Hell, and they've been living in it for decades.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Horror show for the family how they get up every morning is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Hard to believe it's that long must be the same for the other girls like Jo Jo dollard hopefully some day they will find out what happened to them

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is a notorious man who I would beat to a pulp until he gave answers

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was working a summer job in Newbrige that year. Went to school close to where she lived. Nor a day goes by that I don't think I could have met the car that had her on the way home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Remember the Crimeline coverage. Hard to imagine what it's been like for her family over the last 20 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A cousin of mine is missing for many years. The sense of false hope never really leaves and yet there is a need for closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

buried wrote: »
    20 years. You think you have problems and get yourself worked up over the stupidest things, politics, problems 1000's of miles away that have nothing to do with your immediate real world, all that useless noise, when people like that woman's family, all the families of these missing people are living a continuous level of a real life unknowing vague Hell, and they've been living in it for decades.

To be honest this case has nothing to do with my immediate real world. And problems thousands of miles away are very real to the people who experience them, just like this case.

It's all really terrible for everyone who has to go through with missing persons of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

I see this has been upgraded to murder, hopefully they have solid information that will bring closure to the family and not a wild goose chase that the poor family of Trevor Deely recently had to endure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/deirdre-jacob-disappearance-in-1998-reclassified-as-murder-1.3595773

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I would like to think that most of these missing women were taken by one person. As horrific as it would be, it's probably better than the alternative where there are several nut jobs roaming around.

Maybe the new information has come from an old prison inmate - I don't think the obvious person who springs to mind had anybody from his old circle of family/friends who would be withholding information for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

xalot wrote: »
    I see this has been upgraded to murder, hopefully they have solid information that will bring closure to the family and not a wild goose chase that the poor family of Trevor Deely recently had to endure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/deirdre-jacob-disappearance-in-1998-reclassified-as-murder-1.3595773

I always knew when that scumbag that tipped off the Gardai wasn't interested in a reward - that it was all bull.
    Not being interested in a reward gives these guys an insurance policy when nothing is found.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why have they changed this from a missing person to a Murder case ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. I remember this story like it was yesterday. It must be sheer torture for her family - they deserve closure at the very least and ideally for justice to served.

I had just started in my first post-college proper job at the time and I remember my new colleagues and I speculaing over what might have happened. I remember a female colleague opining that women have to watch their backs all the time, especially walking anywhere alone at night but IIRC Ms Jacob vanished during the daytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beach Fuzz

Mod NoteAvoid speculation

What's the point of a thread so?

Threads like this will only thrive if people can talk and speculate about it.

No wonder this site is a graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

This is just another BS press release from AGS and gullible fools buy it.

There’s either insufficient evidence or (most likely) they screwed up early on in the investigation gathering evidence.

It’s absolutely shameful press releases of false hope like this to that poor family and the public to cover up your incapablity/incompetence to solve these cold cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

There is a notorious man who I would beat to a pulp until he gave answers

Unfortunately said individual will probably be cremated once they pass (hopefully screaming in agony).

Otherwise, I would visit his grave and piss on his gravesite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The sheer evil in not going to the police by someone who knows what happened, the attitude of they are not getting involved is almost as bad as the person who committed the crime maybe they lack the courage or something.

Bob really does exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

story now updated again

clearly refocusing on the previous main suspect following some information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

There’s either insufficient evidence or (most likely) they screwed up early on in the investigation gathering evidence.

It’s absolutely shameful press releases of false hope like this to that poor family and the public to cover up your incapablity/incompetence to solve these cold cases.

No way the Gardai would upgrade the case on a whim, they've obviously gotten some new information

Why have they changed this from a missing person to a Murder case ?

Presumably the Guards have found evidence of a murder, whatever that evidence is. A bone with matching dna would be a typical example. But I’m sure there are other types of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The case strikes me as very similar to the Jastine Valdez abduction and murder this year. The only difference being that the killer in the latter case was acting a bit more erratically and was identified within hours as the suspect.

Perhaps though if CCTV had been more widespread in 1998, we could have seen a breakthrough with Deirdre's disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lets hope this latest twist ends up somewhere because there have been a lot of false dawns so far. There are several missing women in that area labelled by the media as Irelands Vanishing Triangle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%27s_Vanishing_Triangle#The_missing_women

Gardai seem to think Larry Murphy could be responsible for Deirdre Jacobs dissappearance. He did live in the area and he did do some carpentery work for Deirdres grandmother but thats as far it goes in respect of evidence. Deirdre Jacobs parents on the other hand are convinced it was not Larry Murphy and recently they said they think it was someone else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its good that we have experts like you contributing to the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

coco0981 wrote: »
    No way the Gardai would upgrade the case on a whim, they've obviously gotten some new information

Trevor deely. The search in chalelizard. That really could have been kept quieter. My fear is the dont have concrete evidence and they are hoping the suspect panics.

In a few of these cases there are family related issues which would rule out one individual being responsible for all the deaths. We have a number of solved cases where family members had assissted in tidying up the crime scene and disposing of the body.

Trevor deely. The search in chalelizard. That really could have been kept quieter. My fear is the dont have concrete evidence and they are hoping the suspect panics.
    Chapelizard? Wheres that?
    Ireland is too small a country to keep any major search quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Edgware wrote: »
    In a few of these cases there are family related issues which would rule out one individual being responsible for all the deaths. We have a number of solved cases where family members had assissted in tidying up the crime scene and disposing of the body.

Wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Of course the gardaí aren't going to say what the new lead is, or was, that led to a status change.

Most likely nobody "Knew" (except the culprit obviously) but possibly some associate of theirs thought nothing of some minor detail, that now makes sense in light of a new discovery??

Speculation is only guesswork, and not helpful (Also, Mods!) but to be honest, you can't stop humans from making some guesses...we ought to consider that the likeliest is the most likely.

I know for sure what my own best theories are....but so does everyone have their private notions!

I hope they can identify and name whoever committed this crime; it would be some comfort to the family of the victim.
    Even if the criminal is already dead, solving the crime would be an end to the dreadful not-knowing.

Advertisement