Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deirdre Jacob missing twenty years Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its a great little country that a beast like LM can walk the streets after what he done to that lady. End of a rope is what we should have for the like of him.

I'm all for proper sentencing but we voted in 2001 to get rid of the death penalty and it's not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't agree with the death penalty but reading about the chief suspect here who is considered "a high risk for reoffending" I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Should the media be really naming names at this stage of the investigation? For the sake of the investigation would it not be better to say little as possible at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

eviltwin wrote: »

Would this be considered another Garda fcuk up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Should the media be really naming names at this stage of the investigation? For the sake of the investigation would it not be better to say little as possible at this point

They are obviously getting drip fed info from the Guards.

Heres the thing,

AGS can leak all of this info to the media but they cant tell us what the new evidence is. And probably never will. Something doesnt look right. Why go to the media at all if the information is so strong as to be able to reclass this from missing person to murder.

• Advertisement

How? What have they done wrong?

murpho999 wrote: »

Drip feeding info to the press for a start. What purpose does that serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

A media article in a certain in the last 3 months had an above named person as living in North County Dublin with a european girlfriend. The same paper today said hes in the UK. It doesn't make sense to me how they can report 2 complete opposites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

It does look amateurish. They are preparing to take another look at the CCTV again.

Officers will also re-examine CCTV footage at an Irish Permanent building society premises, which showed Deirdre walking up the main street in Newbridge that afternoon.
    I know that journalists have to fill pages, but come on..

This is reading a bit like Ian Bailey all over again, no shred of evidence, but they do have a self made "admission" in odd circumstances and they now finally have a suspect, 20 years after the girl disappeared.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/rapist-larry-murphy-chief-suspect-in-murder-case-of-missing-deirdre-jacob-37217917.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The Gardai normally release this information if they want the suspect to do something or go somewhere etc

It wasnt leaked for no reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They are obviously getting drip fed info from the Guards.

Heres the thing,

AGS can leak all of this info to the media but they cant tell us what the new evidence is. And probably never will. Something doesnt look right. Why go to the media at all if the information is so strong as to be able to reclass this from missing person to murder.

I cant understand why the officer in charge hasn't contacted you and give you a briefing. I'm sure he would like to avail of your expertise as to how to progress the investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Did I read correctly that a certain person was working in deirde Jacobs grannies house before she went missing or is this made up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

catrat12 wrote: »
    Did I read correctly that a certain person was working in deirde Jacobs grannies house before she went missing or is this made up

From my understanding is that Larry Murphy out up a sign in her grandmother's shop offering his woodwork services years before she went missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

From my understanding is that Larry Murphy out up a sign in her grandmother's shop offering his woodwork services years before she went missing.

Was he not working in a pub in newbridge the day she went missing

Edgware wrote: »
    I cant understand why the officer in charge hasn't contacted you and give you a briefing. I'm sure he would like to avail of your expertise as to how to progress the investigation

No no. Im not a criminal investigator. I do have an opinion though. Wow , someone with an opinion on a forum. Down with that sort of thing.

There is a link. There was a card or ad found amongst the granny's things with Larry offering his services. So in theory he could well have known DJ from calling to tbe shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Was he not working in a pub in newbridge the day she went missing

It might be out there on the internet somewhere.
    All I know is Deirdres parents wanted to cool down the rumours that he did work on the grandmother's shop and asked people to keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Scary to think what that poor Girl had go through.

Her life destroyed and over. Poor parents and family.

I feel too for Jo Jo Dullard sister who went to her grave not knowing what happened her poor sister.

Sometimes I don't realise how lucky I am. Stuff of nightmare's

The Independent article does not quote any actual sources within the Gardai and the Gardai have also not publically named any suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

How did that person get out of jail after 10 years considering he kidnapped, brutalised, twice raped and was interrupted in the act of actively trying to murder a woman? 10 years????? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Not saying it's the Gardai's fault but they had him in custody for near 10 years. You'd think he'd be a sitting duck there. As I understand it, he never once co-operated, if that's the right word, with any questionings re: the missing while inside (he was interviewed). Then again he never undertook any rehabilitation courses or training while serving time so he could just be an utter unrepentant f*ck. It's actually wrong that prisoners get remission if they don't try to do a course, Murphy should've served it to the day and got nothing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Malayalam wrote: »
    How did that person get out of jail after 10 years considering he kidnapped, brutalised, twice raped and was interrupted in the act of actively trying to murder a woman? 10 years????? :confused:

And refused any counselling or interactions with . psychiatrist. Should never have been left out !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The Independent article does not quote any actual sources within  the Gardai and the Gardai have also not publically named any suspect.
    I'm also not sure why they say that he's known to be in the UK and if he sets foot back in Ireland he'll be arrested, why would they release this info and think he'd have any notion of coming back? Why can't they issue an international arrest warrant? Wasn't he being monitored by Interpol and the Dutch police when he was living in Amsterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I'd say they know precisely where he is and have been monitoring him with UK police since this info, probably hoping he will panic now and make a mistake

Malayalam wrote: »

According to another poster ring your TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I hope the new info and evidence is strong. Otherwise its gonna look shoddy for not going after him much stronger earlier.

If it is LM. The vanishings stopped when he went to prison.

The last vanishing was Deidre Jacob in July 1998 and it occurred two and a half years before Murphy was caught in February 2000

I'd say they know precisely where he is and have been monitoring him with UK police since this info, probably hoping he will panic now and make a mistake

What sort of mistake?

It's up to the Gardai to get evidence to have him arrested.

I think too many people here watch too many TV cop shows and think that's how real policing works.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The last vanishing was Deidre Jacob in July 1998 and it occurred two and a half years before Murphy was caught in February 2000

Exaclty my point.

What sort of mistake?

It's up to the Gardai to get evidence to have him arrested.

I think too many people here watch too many TV cop shows and think that's how real policing works.

Its not to far off the mark with irish policing as we have seen over the years.

• Advertisement

Its not to far off the mark with irish policing as we have seen over the years.

What are you referring to?

The gardai have a pretty good conviction rate when it comes to murders.(Outside gangland)

Advertisement