Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford developments

• 05-07-2018 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Thought I’d start a new thread about developments happening in Waterford.do people think the building boom is making its way to Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Building booms! Have we learned anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Building booms! Have we learned anything?

Yeah we have, we need more building booms!

Deiseen wrote:

I beg to differ, sit back and watch this one go bang, disturbingly, not much has actually changed in relation to what actually caused the last crash, but it is good to see new developments occuring in Waterford

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote:

I beg to differ, sit back and watch this one go bang, disturbingly, not much has actually changed in relation to what actually caused the last crash, but it is good to see new developments occuring in Waterford

I was joking!

But WE do have a lot of catching up to do

Deiseen wrote:
    I was joking!

Apologies, but I can't pick up on these things via text.
    Deiseen wrote:
    But WE do have a lot of catching up to do

We do indeed, but it concerns me greatly that we still haven't figured out how to develop without creating economic booms, this is a major problem for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

The only big development I see in the city is the new building in ardkeen hospital,suppose the whole city is waiting on this new north quay development to kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

New hospital also being built at St Patrick's on John's Hill. New IDA High Tech unit being built at IDA Tech Park on Cork Road. Large extension to river side of Tower Hotel. We could do with more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

Possible future developments which we should see starting over the next 12 months.

North Quays
    Ard Rí
    Michael Street
    Walsh Park

Waterford could do with a whole lot more development.cork and Limerick are flying again.hopefully Waterford is not the forgotten city again while things seem to be picking up a bit everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

914 wrote: »
    Possible future developments which we should see starting over the next 12 months.

North Quays
    Ard Rí
    Michael Street
    Walsh Park

I heard that Ard Ri may not be happening. I worry a little about the Michael street thing. Like if it's to go ahead why has it not started. I know it's tied up with the North Quays but that pretty much has planning so I don't see why it's not going ahead now.

• Advertisement

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I heard that Ard Ri may not be happening. I worry a little about the Michael street thing. Like if it's to go ahead why has it not started. I know it's tied up with the North Quays but that pretty much has planning so I don't see why it's not going ahead now.

Don't think michael street is due to start till some time after August.

As for the ard ri, once the north quays is up and running I'd be very surprised if that wasn't developed

Cork is getting nearly 1 billion worth of developments over the next few years pumped into it,really hope this north quay development goes ahead or else Waterford will be left in the Stone Age,bar that development going on in the north quays Leo and his gang gave very little to Waterford in his 2040 plan

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/07/24/theres-signs-that-the-weak-economic-recovery-in-waterford-has-run-out-of-steam/
    Construction recovery up 20℅ across the country,it's only at 1.5℅ in the whole south east region.jesus wept when is Waterford going to get a fair crack of the whip like the rest of the country is getting,john halligan is a junior minister and his about as useful as a chocolate tea pot

Here's a bit of reading from the South East Economic Monitor (SEEM), a complete and utter failure from all TD's in the region. This might explaine our little developments.

"The early indicators are that the recovery of the economy of the South East (SE) region is running out of steam. In particular, despite a bumper year for the IDA in the SE, the region has fallen further behind the rest of the State in most metrics. Of great concern is that between 2017Q1 and 2018Q1, the number of people in work increased by 62,000 nationally but decreased by 2,400 in the SE. This decrease is unique to the SE and Border regions. The unemployment rate in the SE seems to have plateaued and any modest short-term decreases over the last 12 months are largely attributable to a shrinking labour force.There is also a degree of inertia in the job-quality and sentiment metrics, with the region continuing to significantly lag behind other regions. The weak economy is illustrated in data on car sales, income tax and VAT returns, housing and the proportion of workers on the minimum wage. With the SE, the structural economic issues continue to dominate short-term economic trends. In particular, the very pronounced deficits in regional higher education capacity, acute hospital services, international tourism, and IDA supported employment drive ever lower job quality. The region faces economic headwinds which are shared with the State such as Brexit and the fragile EU recovery. However, the structural economic issues related to the SE’s relationship with the State continue to assert themselves as the dominant economic driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cloudy southeast: region's recovery 'running out of steam'
    Irish Times · 1 day ago

South-East region's economic recovery 'at an end'
    Irish Examiner · 12 hours ago

Left behind: Kilkenny's economic recovery has come to an end - report
    Kilkenny People · 8 hours ago

I can't see how anyone would be surprised at this, the entire short term future of Waterford is basically in the hands of a Saudi investment corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Muttley79 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/07/24/theres-signs-that-the-weak-economic-recovery-in-waterford-has-run-out-of-steam/
    Construction recovery up 20℅ across the country,it's only at 1.5℅ in the whole south east region.jesus wept when is Waterford going to get a fair crack of the whip like the rest of the country is getting,john halligan is a junior minister and his about as useful as a chocolate tea pot

Yeah, our TDs we voted are significant part of problem, we had a credible, in government and someone with some semblance of influence TD/JUNIOR minister in paudie coffey, for some inexplicable decision low information high emotion voters didn't return him and I have zero doubt we would be in better shape now if we kept him in. Since highly likely, FG will be back in, he needs to be returned ASAP,a byelection because useless Deasy in USA should be demanded, I'd guess cullinane has good chance too of doing something for Waterford, since SF are possibility for coalition.
    I hope in future for Waterfords case, people put people in who can achieve something in Government, not outsiders or table bangers

Max Powers wrote: »

Yeah, our TDs we voted are significant part of problem, we had a credible, in government and someone with some semblance of influence TD/JUNIOR minister in paudie coffey, for some inexplicable decision low information high emotion voters didn't return him and I have zero doubt we would be in better shape now if we kept him in. Since highly likely, FG will be back in, he needs to be returned ASAP,a byelection because useless Deasy in USA should be demanded, I'd guess cullinane has good chance too of doing something for Waterford, since SF are possibility for coalition.
    I hope in future for Waterfords case, people put people in who can achieve something in Government, not outsiders or table bangers

Very sensible post. Irrespective of how people feel, politics in Ireland will not change for the foreseeable and therefore we are better to vote for those who may actually do something for waterford rather then those who talk the talk but can't walk the walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

914 wrote: »
    ... Of great concern is that between 2017Q1 and 2018Q1, the number of people in work increased by 62,000 nationally but decreased by 2,400 in the SE. This decrease is unique to the SE and Border regions.

Shocking and disgusting.

As I said before,take the Saudi investment out of Waterford and it really goes to show the present and past governments have given up on Waterford and the south east region for the future.only for the Saudi investment Waterford are getting nothing in the future plans of Ireland,you just have to look at the National planning framework for Ireland 2040 to see that,how did Waterford go from a busy thriving city in the 60/70/80s to a ghost town.half of Ireland’s GDP is based in Dublin,that’s totally unsustainable while most EU capital cities only have 12%GDP.cork and limerick are now busy cities with a lot of infrastructure taking off in these cities.waterford really is getting pissed on by our governments,no IDA,airport,hospital,university,tourism.when you have John halligan,Mary butler and John deasy as politicians the three of them are useless and an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As I said before,take the Saudi investment out of Waterford and it really goes to show the present and past governments have given up on Waterford and the south east region for the future.only for the Saudi investment Waterford are getting nothing in the future plans of Ireland,you just have to look at the National planning framework for Ireland 2040 to see that,how did Waterford go from a busy thriving city in the 60/70/80s to a ghost town.half of Ireland’s GDP is based in Dublin,that’s totally unsustainable while most EU capital cities only have 12%GDP.cork and limerick are now busy cities with a lot of infrastructure taking off in these cities.waterford really is getting pissed on by our governments,no IDA,airport,hospital,university,tourism.when you have John halligan,Mary butler and John deasy as politicians the three of them are useless and an embarrassment

The question would be why in the 2040 Plan is there little for the SE?

That plan should, of necessity, ignore local representatives as it is a national strategy plan.

IMO, the problem goes a lot deeper than ineffective local representation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There's a new nightclub/late bar opening called 'the Factory' and is run by the same crowd who have the woodman (terrible to see the place almost dead after 9pm on weekdays) and sinnotts

My guess is it's going in where the foundry nightclub was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There's a new nightclub/late bar opening called 'the Factory' and is run by the same crowd who have the woodman (terrible to see the place almost dead after 9pm on weekdays) and sinnotts

My guess is it's going in where the foundry nightclub was

Was the Foundry closed? (prob shows how little I'm out in the city at night anymore)

Why did they not utilize the nightclub above Sinnotts where Oxygen used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

iseegirls wrote: »
    Was the Foundry closed? (prob shows how little I'm out in the city at night anymore)

Why did they not utilize the nightclub above Sinnotts where Oxygen used to be.

Could be going there I'm not sure

It's terrible having big eye sores in the middle of the our pub/nightclub district with Masons, foundry and thirsty scholar all closed. Not that John street is great anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could be going there I'm not sure

It's terrible having big eye sores in the middle of the our pub/nightclub district with Masons, foundry and thirsty scholar all closed. Not that John street is great anyway

Thirsty scholar is open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every time I am around John Street I'm struck by how awful a kip it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Every time I am around John Street I'm struck by how awful a kip it is.

Have you seen the revamped Apple Market lately? It's like an aged prostitute!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford as a brand and as a product needs a lot of help. I no longer live in Waterford, but a few things strike me:

Waterford, despite being a medium sized county, does resonate with people when they ask me where I'm from.

Older folk (those in their 60s say) will mention things like the glass, the Showband era, and going on holidays to Tramore as a kid. Most of them will lament the demise of Waterford, and wonder will it ever get back.

People in their mid 30s up to 40s will remember a great night life scene, but haven't been down there in years.

People from their mid 30s down will tell you things like, 'Jesus it's awful rough down there' and tell you how much of a kip it is. Many of them will tell you they went down to Armore or Dungarvan and had a nice weekend or stag.

So, a few challenges there in terms of perception, but at least it does resonate with people more than a Louth, Laois or Westmeath.

As someone who has moved away, my wife definitely wouldn't live there. Nor would any of my brothers or sisters spouses who aren't from Waterford. One of the main reasons for that is that they are struck by how little buzz there is in town in comparison to the other cities, and even big towns. The quality of shopping isn't at all good either, and all these things are immediately visable to a visitor.

While I applaud the efforts of the Council and locals to improve the Viking Triangle and the public realm in the city centre, the subarbs are in rag order. They look run down, you can see investment hasn't been made outside of the city centre, and again that's quite apparent to someone who might be considering coming to Waterford to live.

I don't want to put anyone's noses out of joint, I'd love to see it back thriving, but it's in dire need of investment. That has to come from Government, but also from businesses (both big industry and SMEs) and consumers.

I think the fortunes of Waterford, Tramore and Dunmore are closely linked too. I can't believe that towns of the size of Tramore and Dunmore, which both rely so much on tourism, are both lacking one good quality hotel (very good four star or 5 star) in either of them. If the tourist product in both towns improves and visitors come down in bigger numbers, Waterford will benefit greatly also.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Waterford as a brand and as a product needs a lot of help. I no longer live in Waterford, but a few things strike me:

Waterford, despite being a medium sized county, does resonate with people when they ask me where I'm from.

Older folk (those in their 60s say) will mention things like the glass, the Showband era, and going on holidays to Tramore as a kid. Most of them will lament the demise of Waterford, and wonder will it ever get back.

People in their mid 30s up to 40s will remember a great night life scene, but haven't been down there in years.

People from their mid 30s down will tell you things like, 'Jesus it's awful rough down there' and tell you how much of a kip it is. Many of them will tell you they went down to Armore or Dungarvan and had a nice weekend or stag.

So, a few challenges there in terms of perception, but at least it does resonate with people more than a Louth, Laois or Westmeath.

As someone who has moved away, my wife definitely wouldn't live there. Nor would any of my brothers or sisters spouses who aren't from Waterford. One of the main reasons for that is that they are struck by how little buzz there is in town in comparison to the other cities, and even big towns. The quality of shopping isn't at all good either, and all these things are immediately visable to a visitor.

While I applaud the efforts of the Council and locals to improve the Viking Triangle and the public realm in the city centre, the subarbs are in rag order. They look run down, you can see investment hasn't been made outside of the city centre, and again that's quite apparent to someone who might be considering coming to Waterford to live.

I don't want to put anyone's noses out of joint, I'd love to see it back thriving, but it's in dire need of investment. That has to come from Government, but also from businesses (both big industry and SMEs) and consumers.

I think the fortunes of Waterford, Tramore and Dunmore are closely linked too. I can't believe that towns of the size of Tramore and Dunmore, which both rely so much on tourism, are both lacking one good quality hotel (very good four star or 5 star) in either of them. If the tourist product in both towns improves and visitors come down in bigger numbers, Waterford will benefit greatly also.

Hard to disagree on much of that. I think one of the main problems is the fact that the Quay is one of the main streets. Imagine if you replaced the Quay with a narrow street with shops/bars on both sides, it would have a great atmosphere but the Quay is just a wide open, empty space.

Everything you said shows all the more reason why the NQ is so important and hopefully that will also make the Quay feel complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bekosam

Deiseen wrote: »
    Imagine if you replaced the Quay with a narrow street with shops/bars on both sides, it would have a great atmosphere but the Quay is just a wide open, empty space.

Even worse is that the quay front is what most people see when they first arrive in Waterford. And all they get to look at is estate agents and insurance brokers with a hotel thrown in between, so boring to look at. If it wasn't for the viking triangle and the glass factory I wouldn't see much other reason for tourists to visit Waterford City over somewhere else.

I recently went out in wexford and kilkenny for the first time, and it might be bias from living in waterford me whole life but the difference in nightlife is unreal. Just the quality of the clubs and pubs and you're spoiled for choice too.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »

I have to agree on most points there,dunmore has the potential to be a huge tourism spot if they built a proper pier to take in the cruise ships that stop there,Tramore could be the biggest seaside resort in the country if they invested in hotels and family things to do.the amusement park has taken over Tramore and while it is nice it’s a slight bit tacky and it only for 3 months of the summer.the Main Street in Tramore has to be the biggest run down Main Street in Ireland where a lot of buildings are gone shabby,anything good that’s proposed for Tramore always gets knocked by the same people objecting to planning.waterford,from John street to o Connell street needs a massive facelift,yeah it’s all great and good if this new north quay gets the go ahead but it wont have atmosphere in the city,as you will have to walk over a big open river to get to it.of course the whole issue with the airport and collage as a university is having a huge down effect on Waterford.you see cork Kerry and limerick all pulling together for regional development but the problem with the south east is Carlow Kilkenny and wexford align themselves to much to dublin,the south east is to broken up to come together as a region.carlow want the university status and Kilkenny talking about building an airport in the past,so not until all the south east counties unite and sees Waterford as the main driver of the region I fear Waterford is going to constantly lag behind the other cities of Ireland unfortunately

Advertisement