Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Liam Miller memorial match and Rule 42

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I am number 1 a GAA supporter with a bit of interest in Irish soccer. I certainly knew who Liam Miller was. I think the GAA should make an exception here and allow the game to be played. Celebrate his GAA career (even if it was a short one) as well. Celebrate his sporting career rather than his soccer career.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Another needless PR disaster for the GAA. Hopefully they sort this out asap and let common sense prevail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Was aware the GAA was climbing down, but didn't know it was confirmed. Great news.

• Advertisement

:confused: I'm a GAA fan as well as soccer. I'm just happy more cash can be raised for a really good cause.

It's not me that has hate flowing.

You seems like you want an argument. I'll let you vent at someoe else.

Happy to see a good outcome in this case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Calm it down Pat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So you were in favour of the game being played in PUC and then, due to a number of idiotic nobodies who don't understand the intricacies of the situation, you hope the family and charities suffer from a reduced revenue just so these idiots don't get what they want?
    Seems pretty petulant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Where's the confirmation of this being allowed to go ahead. Rte not reporting it.

The PR lads at croker need to get the chop. They're not capable of doing what should be a very simple job and very quick to react without thinking. Exactly what you don't need in an organisation the lives and breathes because of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭threeball

Bridge93 wrote: »
    So you were in favour of the game being played in PUC and then, due to a number of idiotic nobodies who don't understand the intricacies of the situation, you hope the family and charities suffer from a reduced revenue just so these idiots don't get what they want?
    Seems pretty petulant

He's very conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Pat,what needs to be sorted now are these few things

1.Who controls PUC and under whose rules does it operate.

2. Who decided that this event could not be accommodated

We need names here.

3.What terms and conditions were agreed to by the GAA,exactly what, to avail of funding to re develop the stadium.

People like you and I defended the GAA on this issue, if it turns out that they were wrong in not initially allowing the event,then heads must roll as this was and is a PR disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The bile from soccer fans the last few days has me a full 180 and very disappointed they're allowing it now. Should have dug the heels in.

Anyway let then at it and hopefully it's the last time. I doubt ticket prices will miraculously halve either.

Yeah. Screw fundraising to show meanie "soccer fans" a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I was very surprised by the carry-on. Surprised enough to completely side with the GAA on it when I didn't initially. Hard to wrap your head around or what?

Yeah a bit. Thought you could make you're own mind up about what was right and wrong rather than getting riled up by internet trolls
    Completely ignores some of the bollox on the GAA side too. Both sides have gob****es who should have their internet controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

roadmaster wrote: »

I see the way people are using the public funds to bash the gaa so does that mean any hurling club in south Dublin should be aloud to use a certain hockey pitch for training during the winter since it got public funds?

The floodlit synthetic hockey pitch located at Wesley College (being the one that you're afraid to name for some curious reason) is available for hire by outside sports clubs, be they hurlers, footballers, scuba divers, or incest enthusiasts.

All that you need to do is ring up the management and book a time for your club.

Pat,what needs to be sorted now are these few things

1.Who controls PUC and under whose rules does it operate.

2. Who decided that this event could not be accommodated

We need names here.

3.What terms and conditions were agreed to by the GAA,exactly what, to avail of funding to re develop the stadium.

People like you and I defended the GAA on this issue, if it turns out that they were wrong in not initially allowing the event,then heads must roll as this was and is a PR disaster.

You realise this is by design not a regular thing. You'd swear Cork City were moving there full time with some of the carry on here!

Turnipman wrote: »
    The floodlit synthetic hockey pitch located at Wesley College (being the one that you're afraid to name for some curious reason) is available for hire by outside sports clubs, be they hurlers, footballers, scuba divers, or incest enthusiasts.

All that you need to do is ring up the management and book a time for your club.

Well thats quite a niche sport :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Guffy

ted1 wrote: »
    American football does not compete for players with the GAA.
    They would have planned long in advance. Not 2 months before hand.

Ya it does. Many a defensive player I have aquired from GAA clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well thats quite a niche sport :pac:

Very good for team building, I'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jaysus Patww79, your hate for soccer fans is almost on par with your hate for cyclists over on the motor forum :D

It's give and take and surely you can see why people (not only soccer fans btw) are taken aback by the GAA and their rule 42 which they abandoned long ago when they allowed rugby and football at croke park. You need to cool the jets there's as much "vitriol" coming from you as anyone else.

I don't hate soccer fans, I am one, but I definitely found such a strong hatred from most of them towards the GAA to be very surprising. Their woes are because their sport is run by a bunch of cowboys (who could stand to learn something from the amateur game) and because most potential fans watch mancs and scousers on telly. So why despise everything about the GAA?

Theres only a few people despising any sport and its GAA people despising soccer for coming into THEIR stadium. Most others are simply annoyed at the daft decision to stop a fundraising event. Yet this fundraiser is apparently a part of an Anti-GAA conspiracy for some.

Jesus even the GPA is part of the conspiracy
    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/gpa-gaa-liam-miller-393336

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Turnipman wrote: »

My issue is more with people using the public money to winge at the gaa. I don’t think that’s a route people should be going down. This may open and close the debate around the use of stadiums once and for all. I personally am in favor of municipal stadiums. Have a look at st pats idea for the stadium in inchicore I believe that could have being expanded to cater for the 4 major sports. Basically a mini Bertie bowl. It would have being always used and would be a brilliant urban renewal project . We are only 5 million people and as I heard Brian o Driscoll say come spring we are in to rugby summer gaa and then soccer when Ireland are doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That tweet from the Evening Echo reporter is the only mention of it being at PUC

All RTE are saying is that there will be a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Like, how to gouge €30m from the government for a stadium on the basis it'd be available for other field sports, then point-blank refuse to make it available for other field sports?

I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Full disclosure: Yes, I'm a soccer fan. (Still have great time for the GAA games though and most of it's members..)

I don't think there was any "boiling hate" for the regular run of the mill GAA man who either plays or volunteers at his local club and will sweat buckets for his club. The hate, to me, seemed to be directed at the suits that made and stick by these decisions and then come out with some of the most whacky statements imaginable. As has been mentioned earlier, the PR Department desperately needs a serious shake up.
    Incidentally. I don't see where this hate was driven by the organising comittee in any shape or form - to me it just seemed like something that spiralled after the initial announcement. Some reporter asked the Lord Mayor about PUC and he answered that they enquired but that it wouldn't be happening there. Seemed to grow legs of its' own on Social Media after that.
    Also, ironically enough, if there's one thing the average soccer fan here hates more than the GAA it's by far and away the FAI !!!

Slightly off topic but still related, I honestly believe that it's time for the GAA to relax or abandon the Rule 42.
    As it is clubs all over the country are renting out their astroturf pitches to just about anyone that wants them. Officially it's not really happening but everyone knows that it is. Why ?? because it's income for the local clubs and no-one has a problem with that.
    The next step, IMO is to allow some of the stadia to be used as well. It would literally be once in a blue moon in any case but that would still be more exposure for the stadium and more cash for the GAA. PUC and the Gaelic Grounds are prime examples. Holding more big games in these can only be a win for the GAA. Someone commented earlier that he wouldn't like to see Cork City play Man Utd in PUC in the Champions league or whatever... Why not ?? I can assure you that thousands of businessmen in Cork would argue that with you. Likewise in Limerick, which must be one of the GAAs' greatest underused white elephants.
    As an aside, Cork City are 2 games away from the group stages of the Europa League. Already in the group stages are the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, AC Milan, Lazio, Anderlecht and Bayer Leverkeusen. IF (and that's a huge if !!!) they were to qualify what right thinking businessman would want those ties moved to Dublin ? Principles and rules are all well and good but games like those would punch a serious hole in the Cork County Boards overdraft. Crazy, crazy, crazy to send that money up the road to Dublin. Limerick, Galway and all the others should be thinking along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

ted1 wrote: »
    Lovely language, soccer really dies attract the cultural elite.

What reaction are you not surprised at?

Rule 42 is well known. It reflects badly non the organisers of the match

Yes, completely impossible to sanction non-Gaa matches at Gaa grounds, right you are.

https://www.americanfootball.ie/venue/garden-city-gaa-pitch-gorey/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement