Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Liam Miller memorial match and Rule 42

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Bonniedog wrote: »
    All we need now is for Bono or Saoirse Ronan or Mrs. Brown to express their anguish.

This game has nothing to do with the GAA. End of.

No need for Bono etc Bonnie (1 less thing for you to moan about). The ordinary folk of the GAA and the country in general have expressed their opinion and the GAA authorities will now meet with Liam Miller committee.

This is what should have happened at the outset.

Lets hope a good solution can be reached. Not sure how the GAA will come out of this as they had to be dragged by the grassroots to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

dixiefly wrote: »
    No need for Bono etc Bonnie (1 less thing for you to moan about). The ordinary folk of the GAA and the country in general have expressed their opinion and the GAA authorities will now meet with Liam Miller committee.

Lets hope a good solution can be reached. Not sure how the GAA will come out of this as they had to be dragged by the grassroots to this stage.

Awfully, but if common sense prevails and its moved to PUC they will save some face.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

All we need now is for Bono or Saoirse Ronan or Mrs. Brown to express their anguish.

This game has nothing to do with the GAA. End of.
    I hear that Elon Musk is sorting out a solution.

ted1 wrote: »
    I hear that Elon Musk is sorting out a solution.

I think this attitude probably does answer the OP's question as to why it wasn't posted here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dixiefly wrote: »

I couldn't give a flying fart about the soap opera storm evoked over someone most people never even heard of.

If you want to change GAA rules, join a club and put forward motions.

Country is turning into a virtual reality show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Give an example

Liam Miller!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

redlead wrote: »
    You either let them play a game there or not. The GAA are only digging holes for themselves at this stage trying to explain themselves. Wouldn't give them the time of day over a meeting and I'm a GAA person.

Well that's a very mature attitude to have.

You want and organisation to break their rules (and potentially incur issues with licenses and insurance) so you can use their stadium but yet you wouldn't want to meet them to discuss it.

Don't you think that's a rather ridiculous position to take.

The rules are in place, the organizers knew that and instead of handling this issue professionally and going through the proper channels and working on with the GAA they decided to childishly make a massive deal about it in public and turn the affair into an unseemly dig at the GAA.

The GAA didn't act soon enough and their should be repercussions particularly for Alan Milton and I would suggest some of the top brass but the entire issue could easily have been kept quiet and not had to create all this nonsense over the last few days regarding what was supposed to be a dignified occasion.

I couldn't give a flying fart about the soap opera storm evoked over someone most people never even heard of.

Your posts are intensely ugly.

The constant belittling of the deceased does your argument no credit at all.

You seem very angry, as if you blame those who simply want to maximise the money raised for his family and charity, for orchestrating the whole thing to embarrass the GAA.

Speak for yourself when you say this.

Anyone with any sort of a reasonable knowledge of Irish sport would have known who Liam Miller was.

And whether you knew him or no does not diminish the value of the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

eh and I am a club member and have been on 2 committees and held significant posts on both committees so don't turn this into a lecture when you don't even know my background.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Does anyone know how much of the money that will be raised is going to charity .

Patww79 wrote: »
    Intensely ugly :D do you want a tissue?

He's correct in that there's a lot of falsities going around to try and damage the GAA in all this. Would certainly make me think differently about soccer in this country.

Like what?

Did they not refuse to host a charity event?

Why? when most of the people speaking out against the GAA stanse are actually GAA people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Many GAA supporters have shown themselves to be petty minded bigots using the organisations "rules" as cover for their antediluvian attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I must be naive but I never realised the boiling hate there was for the GAA among most of the soccer ones.

'Most' people are rational and fall in the middle areas of the spectrum whether they believe the GAA are right or not.

There are mindless idiots on both sides who occupy the extremes who's comments have been embarrassing. This issue gives them both a platform to spew their distaste for other sports

Many GAA supporters have shown themselves to be petty minded bigots using the organisations "rules" as cover for their antediluvian attitudes.

What part of Liverpool are you from?

Really.

I'd say 95% of GAA members and fans are in favour of holding the match in PUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see the way people are using the public funds to bash the gaa so does that mean any hurling club in south Dublin should be aloud to use a certain hockey pitch for training during the winter since it got public funds? Personally I think PUC should be used for anything and everything in general to make money for the cork county board. It’s there asset and they should use it as much as possible. The amount of people just jumping on the bandwagon to bash the gaa is sickening.Also due to the issues with social media I think the gaa need to invest in a new pr person

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Ironically, if this football match goes ahead in PUC, it will be the first time that the stadium is full for a sporting event! :)

zetalambda wrote: »
    Ironically, if this football match goes ahead in PUC, it will be the first time that the stadium is full for a sporting event! :)

Shows how much you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Will they sell 45k tickets for this?

And when was it full since redevelopment for a game?

What part of Liverpool are you from?

Ah now we get to why you (and Niles) dont want the fundraiser generating maximum funds!

Unfortunately for you

https://www.buzz.ie/football/liam-miller-pairc-ui-chaoimh-293147

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah now we get to why you (and Niles) dont want the fundraiser generating maximum funds!

Unfortunately for you

https://www.buzz.ie/football/liam-miller-pairc-ui-chaoimh-293147

Can you please point out where in this thread have I stated I was opposed to the benefit match taking place in PUC?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If it's true that the match will now take place at Pairc Ui Chaoimh then full credit to the likes of Horan and the Cork County Board for making it happen.

Time to put the bitterness of the past few days to bed and focus on making the event as good as possible now.

No no, that was not the constant refrain from Bonniedog.

He was not having a go at those on social media, or the media itself, or those who came out to attack the GAA.

He constantly belittled Liam Miller himself with a "who is he, no one even knew of him" line, and took it out on the organisers who are, in effect, a charity raising money for the deceased's family and a hospice. There is little suggestion that they have orchestrated any campaign.

He was entitled to defend the GAA, sneering at the deceased was not good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That sort of post is not on. Your (lack of) knowledge of a deceased footballer doesn’t automatically mean that “most people never heard” of them.

A note to everyone: this is an emotive issue and will obviously attract posters who wouldn’t regularly post on the GAA forum. There’s no problem with this and it’s not on for regular GAA forum posters to use this as a stick to beat others with.
    Having said that, calling GAA supporters bigots is equally not on and any more of that will lead to cards/bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

threeball wrote: »
    I'm no soccer fan. Hate the game actually and am well up to speed on most matters GAA and I think it's a shocking decision. If it were one of those pre-season exhibition games I'd say no way. Cork city vs man u in UEFA cup could go swing too. But this is a charity event for the benefit of a young man's family cut short in his prime and for the medical facilities that cared for him in his final days. To me it's not even a question

Well said as a gaa and all sports person I agree totally with you, cancer is cruel the way it takes all types,ages of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

roadmaster wrote: »
    I see the way people are using the public funds to bash the gaa so does that mean any hurling club in south Dublin should be aloud to use a certain hockey pitch for training during the winter since it got public funds? Personally I think PUC should be used for anything and everything in general to make money for the cork county board. It’s there asset and they should use it as much as possible. The amount of people just jumping on the bandwagon to bash the gaa is sickening.Also due to the issues with social media I think the gaa need to invest in a new pr person

Good post there,my friend.

There have been several climb downs by the GAA recently due to very badly handled issues .

The PR division needs to be put on warning status. Shape the fcuk up quick!

All this stuff begs a very important question.

Is PUC a GAA stadium under GAA rules or is it a stadium for everybody.

Needs answering.

Because if the latter is true, heads need to roll in the GAA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement