Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating words or phrases

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

In GAA commentators speech

".....and he/she has a brother/sister playing on the minor/senior team!!...."

Mentioned a number of times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Creative83 wrote: »
    Let's touch base with *insert anything* :mad:

Someone says this in the office all the time and after reading these it always makes me giggle.
    Kate: "I will have to touch base with you sometime next week"
    Dave: "that would be fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

dee75 wrote: »
    Legit

" leg it " is all right though .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Awesome Sauce

acai berry wrote: »
    Starting a sentence with "Look!" Seems to be a habit mostly in the Southern half of the country.

"Look!" and "Like!" seem to be bedfellows.

And the even more irritating habit of starting every sentence with " So ":confused:

• Advertisement

This mainly applies to soccer, Gaelic football, and hurling but why do commentators feel the need to refer to a race for possession between two players as a “foot race “. Rugby commentators occasionally use the same expression but as we know rugby players seldom actually run , they simply " pump the legs "
    Do they feel the need to describe the contest in this manner just in case we assume they are engaged in a bicycle race, flying race, swimming race, cross country skiing race etc.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I LOVE the phrase ‘rock up’. You’d hate me. :pac:
    :D

I agree with Homer. I have never, ever "rocked up" to anywhere or anything, and I never will.

After many student conferences held in the likes of the rds, there are articles peppered with " there were lots of doughnuts / coffee / other junk food enjoyed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

"No brainer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

trashcan wrote: »
    I agree with Homer. I have never, ever "rocked up" to anywhere or anything, and I never will.

It’s tongue-in-cheek. I picture people swaggering up to the club.

There’s lot of phrases in this thread that I like and find colourful. Language would be so dull without them.

• Advertisement

"interesting opinion"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

"I seen it/him/her/them"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭trashcan

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It’s tongue-in-cheek. I picture people swaggering up to the club.

There’s lot of phrases in this thread that I like and find colourful. Language would be so dull without them.

But people are using it indiscriminately, substituting it for "arrive" in every instance. Until it becomes very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I'm not racist, but.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I'm not racist, but.......

Obviously, after that will follow a racist statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Touch base

I'd love to take a golf club to the head of anyone who uses that term

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I cannot stand the word "genuinely" . I instantly think that the person is masking that they aren't being genuine.

I have alot more to add but I really need to square the circle before I head to bed to touch base with the girlfriend before thinking beyond her box

My takeaway from this bespoke thread and its boutique offering is, like, you know, obviously, like, basically, like amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,067 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've posted this one before in a similar thread..
    'My thoughts and prayers are with X.'

So you actually sat down for two minutes and said a prayer for this person/after you've posted this cr*p, you'll take up mind space thinking about this person again??
    Hmm. I don't think so...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Boffins
    Revellers

Have never heard either word ever said aloud. Only ever on sh*tty tabloids.

• Advertisement

"I seen it/him/her/them"

Nothing written online makes my heart sink as much as the 'I/you/he/she/we/they seen" or 'I/you/he/she/we/they done". You're taking somebody's view seriously and then they do that. Likewise in discussions and interviews. It's just a sign of laziness that they don't care enough to be correct.

For others:

I etc saw, but I've [I have] seen.
    I etc did, but I've [I have] done.

I saw v. I seen

My takeaway from this bespoke thread and its boutique offering is, like, you know, obviously, like, basically, like amazeballs.

Can't stand "amazeballs"! One of the contestants on My Kitchen Rules Australia, Season 7, my least favourite contestant, used it constantly. I don't know if this is where it originated. That Season 7 is going back two years. I know Nicole Scherzinger used it a lot as an X-Factor judge, which was also annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

acai berry wrote: »
    Can't stand "amazeballs"! One of the contestants on My Kitchen Rules Australia, Season 7, my least favourite contestant, used it constantly. I don't know if this is where it originated. That Season 7 is going back two years. I know Nicole Scherzinger used it a lot as an X-Factor judge, which was also annoying.

An ex of mine 15 years ago (christ I'm getting old) used to use the word amazeballs ironically because it was old and irritating even then. So it's probably been common in Ireland for at least 20 years.

I know someone who often starts sentences with "not saying that..." for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's generally in the middle of whatever she's talking about but doesn't link the new sentence with the previous one in any way. I can never quite comprehend why she does it.

She's also a fiend for saying "moreso than" when she means "more than", which is becoming very common, especially when people are trying to sound clever.

benjamin d wrote: »
    An ex of mine 15 years ago (christ I'm getting old) used to use the word amazeballs ironically because it was old and irritating even then. So it's probably been common in Ireland for at least 20 years.

I know someone who often starts sentences with "not saying that..." for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's generally in the middle of whatever she's talking about but doesn't link the new sentence with the previous one in any way. I can never quite comprehend why she does it.

She's also a fiend for saying "moreso than" when she means "more than", which is becoming very common, especially when people are trying to sound clever.

Had no idea "amazeballs" goes back that far. Certainly not Irish in origin - I'd be ashamed if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I find "bollix" conjures a far more upsetting mental image than "bollocks". Probably because of the combination of "bollocks" and "licks" in one word. :D

Personally I find "bollix" conjures a far more upsetting mental image than "bollocks". Probably because of the combination of "bollocks" and "licks" in one word. :D

LOL! Maybe a little more analysis than was needed there, hatrickpatrick. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Happy Out

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

"It's not about X, it's about Y."

trans.

"The topic is X, but I'd much rather bang on about Y, as that suits me much better."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

More office speak:

Leverage

Action

Lets leverage this and action that.

Office-speak is indeed horrendous. It's worst when it escapes the office, though. I cannot listen to the Gaa segments on RTE because a) Marty Morrissey, and b) bainisteoirí babbling on in managementconsultantese.

• Advertisement

into

BIG into

At work, re a strange couple, somebody remarked they almost didn't get married because She was not that much into him.

Yesterday, I realised I had commented a particular family are BIG into dogs. LOL! Mea culpa!

Advertisement