Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating words or phrases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People saying soccerball to try and disparage the most widely played game in the world. It's called either football or soccer. Saying soccerball makes you look like you've a chip on your shoulder. I suppose the same can be said for saying bogball and egg chasing. Just call the games what they're called.

People saying Arsebook or Twatter for Facebook or Twitter. Not really all that funny, witty or original...just annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Omackeral wrote: »
    People saying soccerball to try and disparage the most widely played game in the world. It's called either football or soccer. Saying soccerball makes you look like you've a chip on your shoulder. I suppose the same can be said for saying bogball and egg chasing. Just call the games what they're called.

People saying Arsebook or Twatter for Facebook or Twitter. Not really all that funny, witty or original...just annoying.

Cant agree with 'Twatter'. I think it's great and perfectly sums up the losers on that website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

"I'm offended".

So fcuking what ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Some that really get my goat :

"You have been banned"
    "You have received a warning"
    "You have received a warning at boards.ie"
    "You have received an infraction"
    "Carded"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Pretty much everything mentioned here, with the added bonus of swearing... It's the last resort of the uncouth....
    Go online and look at the robust language of Shakespeare, it's a thing of wonder, plus, Google swearing alternatives and phrases... A couple of my daily favorites would be "great googly moogly" (popularized by Frank Zappa), "oh my giddy aunt", (from my uncle) and an honoury mention that for "Gordon Bennet" (from my mum)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The Christmas. ''Did you do anything over the Christmas?''

"Ah, sure it was quiet enough, you know yourself."

The Christmas. ''Did you do anything over the Christmas?''

"Ah, sure it was quiet enough, you know yourself."

Last few years I've decided to make stuff up to rebel against the norm.

This January when the first colleague said "did you have a good Christmas?" I wove a tale of absinthe parties, deep sea fishing and orgies. Was fun!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I really dislike the word Cosplay

I really dislike the word Cosplay

I might if I knew what it was ? Spill!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sorry but not everyone digs Sportsball of any description.
    I find all of them boring. but each to his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I might if I knew what it was ? Spill!

People dressing up as comic book/Sci fi etc characters, usually for conventions.

People dressing up as comic book/Sci fi etc characters, usually for conventions.

Ah!

Then yes!!!

"Trousering" sums of cash.

Anyone clamped "romp" for when someone semi famous is getting the shift ?

Bloody annoying!

Oh and basiscally every word used on the Daily Mail online but worst offenders are - burgeoning baby bump, flaunts her...., channels her inner....., etc etc.

Makes you want to punch someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Anyone clamped "romp" for when someone semi famous is getting the shift ?

Bloody annoying!

Oh and basiscally every word used on the Daily Mail online but worst offenders are - burgeoning baby bump, flaunts her...., channels her inner....., etc etc.

Makes you want to punch someone.
    Remember years ago when the the most popular phrase in the DM used to be 'Hang them' or 'Bring Back the Noose'!

Remember years ago when the the most popular phrase in the DM used to be 'Hang them' or 'Bring Back the Noose'!

Halcyon days!

Now it's all sideboob and pert derriere!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kweeveen86

People who use text as a past tense. eg. "I text him yesterday" - what's the present tense so? Tex?! So ridiculous. It makes any otherwise intelligent person sound like a total tit.

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    People who use text as a past tense. eg. "I text him yesterday" - what's the present tense so? Tex?! So ridiculous. It makes any otherwise intelligent person sound like a total tit.

Judge Judy is a hive for these:

Axed - for asked
    Conversated - talked
    Tooken - taken possibly ?

There are others sadly!

"I'm dairy free"... then getting ice cream for dessert after making a big song and dance over their main course order.

:rolleyes:

kweeveen86 wrote: »
    "I'm dairy free"... then getting ice cream for dessert after making a big song and dance over their main course order.

:rolleyes:

Hahaha you'd love a colleague of mine - walks 15 minutes out of her way to get a vegan latte but on the last team day out ate lamb.

I strained my throat making bleating noises. Small minded of me but meh!!

Turns out - she's "vegan for health reasons only".

No, don't understand that either!

• Advertisement

Courtesy of my Mum:

Calling travellers 'itinerants'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

"Trousering" sums of cash.

Yes, yes, yes, amen to that. Since when did trouser become a) a verb, and b) singular.

Most business/corporate speak gets my goat ( has anyone mentioned "gets my goat" by the way ?:P). "Heads up" and "stakeholders" are just two fairly horrific examples that spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

xxxxgoals, usually seen on twitter or articles riddles with tweets like #lifegoals, #relationshipgoals

Calling every new development a 'hub' or a 'quarter'.

Ipso wrote: »
    xxxxgoals, usually seen on twitter or articles riddles with tweets like #lifegoals, #relationshipgoals

#Squadgoals

I've seen that as a tattoo.

No, me neither!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

kweeveen86 wrote:
    Calling travellers 'itinerants'

In my youth, they were also referred to as 'diddycoys', 'gypos' and 'carnies'...we haven't come a long way since, have we!....

In my youth, they were also referred to as 'diddycoys', 'gypos' and 'carnies'...we haven't come a long way since, have we!....

Carny/Carnies is very American and only really refers to those who went from town to town setting up and running carnivals and funfairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Morning Ireland today. Cian McCormack on his trusty penny farthing interviewing an articulate young radiology student from Offaly called Chloe M***** who - for a reason that I simply cannot understand - ended a perfectly delivered sentence with "...and stuff like that!"

It was meaningless, inane, infuriating and just made her sound like an inarticulate air head, which she clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Turnipman wrote: »
    Morning Ireland today. Cian McCormack on his trusty penny farthing interviewing an articulate young radiology student from Offaly called Chloe M***** who - for a reason that I simply cannot understand - ended a perfectly delivered sentence with "...and stuff like that!"

It was meaningless, inane, infuriating and just made her sound like an inarticulate air head, which she clearly isn't.

I don't think it was meaningless. It has a meaning which is defined in dictionaries and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I don't think it was meaningless. It has a meaning which is defined in dictionaries and stuff.

Its meaning (if any) had absolutely nothing to do with the information that the interviewee was trying to communicate to her listeners!

In that context it was completely redundant so, I would contend, had no meaning! (When one is being pedantic, context is all!) :D

Anyway, my point was that it is an irritating phrase, which is what this thread is all about!

Advertisement