Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating words or phrases

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"keyboards with butterfly switches"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    "keyboards with butterfly switches"

You what now?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No offence but... <I’m about to say something highly likely to offend/upset you but it’s ok, I said “no offence”>.

Similarly...

I’m not racist but...
    I’m not being funny but...

"I know ye have some............c'mere....gis a few specs of dust.....ah c'mon......C'MONNN WILL YAAaaaaaa.........fukkk saaykks"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’m not being funny but...

No, that one's generally right enough, they're not about to be funny. Very often obnoxious, mind.

• Advertisement

I did the best I could do with your car / pc , honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I did the best I could do with your car / pc , honest.

Followed by "I'll leave it at €...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

"Verticals"

In a previous job I sat with colleagues through an hour-long presentation by our CEO in which the word "verticals" was used a ridiculous number of times. Particularly ridiculous given that nobody knew what he was talking about. I was thinking of Stonehenge, but I suspected that wasn't what he had in mind. The word was used so many times he obviously had a big stiffy for it, but if he'd just said "market segments" people might have known what he was on about, but hey, why communicate effectively when you can impress the audience with your command of jargon and buzzwords?

Shobgite.

"That was Tony's FIRST convention. So cut out the snark please and give the lad a break"

Treason is an annoying word. The vast majority seem to think it's simply the act a traitor to a country commits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Treason is an annoying word. The vast majority seem to think it's simply the act a traitor to a country commits.

Lots actually seem to to think it's anything done by a politician one doesn't like. Introducing water charges, being the president of the USA while black, etc.

STOP talking down ......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Office-speak is indeed horrendous. It's worst when it escapes the office, though. I cannot listen to the Gaa segments on RTE because a) Marty Morrissey, and b) bainisteoirí babbling on in managementconsultantese.

'The Process'
    'Transition'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭josip

"a bite to eat"

I don't know why it annoys me so much but it does.
    Can you even eat a 'bite' ?

i dId nOtHiNg WrOnG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I'm not racist, but.......

There are only two things I can’t abide. People who don’t respect other people’s cultures and the Dutch

At the end of the day

https://youtu.be/UwbPK2_pJ_s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

So

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

'How are we?!'

Well I'm fine, but I can't speak for whoever else the fcuk you are asking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

To 'curate' something... when it's nothing to do with a museum or art gallery is the latest hipsterism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

"In the first instance"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Basically, basically, basicallllllllly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

honeybear wrote: »
    Mind yourself

Depending on the tone - either a threat or genuine concern ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Most Vulnerable?

Who are the most vulnerable?

Its your round, I so hate hearing this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When something is described as happening "organically", it drives me demented
    Irish couples calling each other "Babe" just sounds so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RTE today with 'Ireland's Hidden Heartlands'. Midlands is just fine, let's not pretend there's a big love in.

Ha ha. Notions about or little island, thinking we are Australia or Canada - the 'heartlands'. I mean, nobody would say that they are in the heartland of Lanzarote. You can go by bicycle from Athlone to either the Irish Sea or the Atlantic in 3 hours.

WE ARE ALL .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

topper75 wrote: »
    Ha ha. Notions about or little island, thinking we are Australia or Canada - the 'heartlands'. I mean, nobody would say that they are in the heartland of Lanzarote. You can go by bicycle from Athlone to either the Irish Sea or the Atlantic in 3 hours.

When people use the term 'heartlands', I'm thinking wall to wall country n' western on the radio, endless fields of wheat/corn.

Advertisement