Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating words or phrases

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

What's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I've a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Emmersonn wrote: »
    What's wrong with it?

No matter what you do or say, there'll be someone who won't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

YOU'RE THE.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

State of the art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I done
    I seen
    When people can’t differentiate between when they should use ‘that’ and when they should use ‘who’...e.g. The man who went into town. NOT the man THAT went into town

'would of', 'should of' I've seen people writing it down like that. You'd think it would dawn on them then, but no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I see people writing "That's he's car" lately instead of "his".

What's that all about?

It's the internet. It ruins everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

St Patty's day

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Let's face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭worded

benjamin d wrote: »
    Here's a thread that hasn't been done in a while...

Are there any turns of phrase people use that really irritate you for whatever reason?

For me, referring to anything as "so-called" usually makes me stop reading or listening to an argument, because 99% of the time what they're referring to is actually the thing they're claiming to be so-called. Around these parts and in internet comment sections it's usually something like "so-called politicians" or "so-called Irish Water" - they ARE politicians and it IS Irish Water, why put the so-called in there? I automatically assume anyone doing this is an idiot.

Another one is "X at its finest", which is so overused these days and almost always wrongly written as "at it's finest". Pedantic I know, but it's annoying.

Also any corporate speak obviously, flying kites and running things up flagpoles and all that ****e.

Beware of "so-called" friends who throw rocks at you

I live by that

"I bought this in...I wanna saaaaay...Tesco!"

I've heard this a lot recently and I'm glad my life is halfway over.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

"I bought this in...I wanna saaaaay...Tesco!"

I've heard this a lot recently and I'm glad my life is halfway over.

At least they don't say "Tescos"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

No matter what you do or say, there'll be someone who won't like it.

Shaw covered this, over a century ago. He said it about the English, of course, but the principle generalises handily.

And in that context you're not 'being told'. Its expressing ones hope that you will enjoy it. Same way you would say good night for example.

Strictly speaking, "good night" isn't an imperative, whereas "enjoy" is.

I do agree that the intended and connoted sense is "I hope that you will (have a) [...]", not "(have a) [...] or I'll come at ye", and the complainant should maybe get over themselves.

But if we were over ourselves, we'd not be in this thread giving out yards, would we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I see people writing "That's he's car" lately instead of "his".

What's that all about?

A wild guess, poor eyesight and predictive text.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

"love someone to bits"

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    A wild guess, poor eyesight and predictive text.

I was thinking it might either be near-homonym transposition (i.e. they're a semi-literate idiot), or a faux-"urban" affectation (i.e. they're a culturally appropriating idiot).

But I don't think I've seen it much, and am guessing at least as wildly.

Someone mentioned "as a parent". Ed Byrne had a whole bit on that one.

"Gather round, he's speaking as a parent, listen to him carefully now, everyone! [pause] Before, he was only speaking as an opinionated ar$ehole."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Someone mentioned "as a parent". Ed Byrne had a whole bit on that one.

"Gather round, he's speaking as a parent, listen to him carefully now, everyone! [pause] Before, he was only speaking as an opinionated ar$ehole."

Brilliant! My own sainted mother once told someone off for ranting on about sh1te - something to do with HIV and how it can be caught from a soda stream or such like.

"Well speaking as a mum..." to which the mammy replied "If you'd said speaking as a virologist I"d have listened..." :D:D:D

Omackeral wrote: »
    At least they don't say "Tescos"

Of course they do, I was only trying to soften the blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

‘Game-changer’, depending on its usage.

Saw someone describe some new restaurant as a “Dublin game-changer” on social media recently. It’s a fucking restaurant. It’s not important enough to be described that way.

I correspond with a colleague in another office by email on a regular basis. He absolutely positively has to use the word ‘heretoforewith’ in every single email he sends regardless of how short or long the email is and will refer back to previous emails in order to be able to use it even when the previous email is embodied in the ones he’s sending.

And it’s not a actually a word. What a muppet. :D Heretofore is, heretoforewith is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

People saying "Albeit" instead of "Although"

They don't actually mean the same: not interchangeable.

"Al-be-it" means, Although it be...

The phrase "rock up", meaning to show up. Don't know when this suddenly became popular but I grimace every time I hear it.

Also "doggo"/"pupper" - there is NO NEED for these abominations to exist in any lexicon. :mad: There's NOTHING wrong with dog, puppy or pup. Hell, even "doggy" is somewhat acceptable if you're talking to children, assuming you don't follow it with the word "style".

I LOVE the phrase ‘rock up’. You’d hate me. :pac:

Actually, this thread highlights that people should just speak however they want because you’ll never please everyone. There are so many everyday words here. I saw the word ‘obviously’ mentioned. How does someone get through life if that word or any other commonplace word annoys them? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

YAAAAAAAAAS Queen

Stun hun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

“Same as that” I’ve noticed this one relatively recently. Used when speaker has a similar opinion / experience as you. E.g.:

“We went to the new restaurant in town last night. We thought the food was amazing.”

To which the other person replies: “Same as that”

What he means is that he also visited the restaurant and liked the food. But for some reason he’s too lazy to bother responding with a coherent sentence.

What makes it worse is that the phrase seems to be extremely contagious (in our office anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

More office speak:

Leverage

Action

Lets leverage this and action that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Ahead of.
    Nobody in RTE ever says 'before' any more. It's always 'ahead of.' I was blissfully unaware of this until someone pointed it out, and now it drives me nuts.
    You're welcome. :)

Advertisement