Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

Obviously the medical comes before the physical, but for example if at the medical you fail eye sight, and need laser eye, do you do the physical after eyes and laser is done, or can you proceed and to physical and wait for eyes to be fixed?

Also, out of curiosity, can everyone/anyone get laser eye done?

Also, if you fail one part of the physical, say sit ups as an eg, when you repeat, do you repeat one part or it all.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

AGS2017 wrote: »
    Obviously the medical comes before the physical, but for example if at the medical you fail eye sight, and need laser eye, do you do the physical after eyes and laser is done, or can you proceed and to physical and wait for eyes to be fixed?

Also, out of curiosity, can everyone/anyone get laser eye done?

Also, if you fail one part of the physical, say sit ups as an eg, when you repeat, do you repeat one part or it all.

Thanks.

No, you have to be declared medically fit to do the physical, so the laser will have to be done first and your file cleared by Occupational Health/CMO. You get six months.

If you fail the sit ups then you have to do that entire section again eg beep, sit ups, push ups roughly 3 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

Anybody any idea when start dates will be? completed physical last week and everything else done. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paddy290

I had to reschedule my PCT from the 7th to the 14th, due to work. October seems to be the next intake according to a few guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

Beefy13 wrote: »
    Anybody any idea when start dates will be? completed physical last week and everything else done. Thanks :)

Whats your oom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

thos23 wrote: »
    Whats your oom?

Mid 700s

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

A question for anyone who has had to repeat their physical, I know we were told 3 months but did anyone get a date sooner/ later than the 3 months?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

Have my PCT this Sat? Anyone else in the same boat??

Also, quick question on the sit up's... is there someone there holding your feet down???

Hoopy1888 wrote: »

Also, quick question on the sit up's... is there someone there holding your feet down???

Yeah, there'll be an instructor standing on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 171268

Yeah I’m Saturday, how are you fixed for the beep test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hoopy1888

171268 wrote: »
    Yeah I’m Saturday, how are you fixed for the beep test?

Not too bad think. I've done a few dummy runs down the local park on the earphones and done OK so hopefully I get through it.

Yourself?

How soon after the bleep test do u do your sit up/push ups?

Not too bad think. I've done a few dummy runs down the local park on the earphones and done OK so hopefully I get through it.

Yourself?

The length of a beep test, so about 8 - 10mins.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    The length of a beep test, so about 8 - 10mins.

Anyone find the beep test easier on wooden floor?

Yourself?

Not to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

Really want my physical soon lol, had to get my eyes corrected and the wait is horrible anyobne else had to do the same? if so how long from the 6 week marker did you get PCT date. Or any one else get it done and waiting like myself for the 6 week point to be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Crowlers wrote: »
    Really want my physical soon lol, had to get my eyes corrected and the wait is horrible anyobne else had to do the same? if so how long from the 6 week marker did you get PCT date. Or any one else get it done and waiting like myself for the 6 week point to be up?

I’m in the same boat as you... 6 week mark was up in early June but still no word on PCT date! The wait would drive ya mad :( What’s your OOM roughly? I’m low 400’s

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat as you... 6 week mark was up in early June but still no word on PCT date! The wait would drive ya mad :( What’s your OOM roughly? I’m low 400’s

Once you send your six week report in to Occupational Health it still has to be cleared by the CMO. They usually wait until they have a load of reports before they pass them on. It can take ages!

My OOM is mid 600's that is a horrible wait on top of the normal long wait already :/

Really? The doctor in there told me as soon as they get it they clear you. dont know why they would wait for a group of reports when they struggled to get people in for the April and July intakes makes no sense. another wait would drive me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Crowlers wrote: »
    Really? The doctor in there told me as soon as they get it they clear you. dont know why they would wait for a group of reports when they struggled to get people in for the April and July intakes makes no sense. another wait would drive me crazy

I was told the same but when I sent in my report they told me I’d have to wait for a doctor to sign it off

• Advertisement

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    I was told the same but when I sent in my report they told me I’d have to wait for a doctor to sign it off

Thats annoying its hard enough to wait for the 6 weeks to pass without waiting further again, hopefully they wont be long I really want a PCT date

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭weetabix12345

For the PTC is it the age you applied for the targets or the age you are on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Isiheather00

This whole process would send u up the walls. Your OOM means absolutly nothing to the Garda recruitment that's just public jobs. I finished 17th from May 17 campaign. Only done my PCT 16th of June and now told they screwed up on my vetting it's still stuck in local and now there is no super in the area im under. Looks like 2019 might even be too close for me 😡 make sure u don't rely on a quick process I nearly turned down a job thinking I would be in quick as I finished so well. I was tempted to go again at the last campaign see if it be quicker 😮

This whole process would send u up the walls. Your OOM means absolutly nothing to the Garda recruitment that's just public jobs. I finished 17th from May 17 campaign. Only done my PCT 16th of June and now told they screwed up on my vetting it's still stuck in local and now there is no super in the area im under. Looks like 2019 might even be too close for me �� make sure u don't rely on a quick process I nearly turned down a job thinking I would be in quick as I finished so well. I was tempted to go again at the last campaign see if it be quicker ��

I would agree, OOM means nothing.

Question, does anybody know how long of a rest they give you after bleep test before Sit ups and push ups?

What comes first the sit-ups then push-ups?

How long of a rest between sit ups and push ups?

Thanks

For the PTC is it the age you applied for the targets or the age you are on the day?

Your age on the day.

paddy290 wrote: »
    I would agree, OOM means nothing.

Question, does anybody know how long of a rest they give you after bleep test before Sit ups and push ups?

What comes first the sit-ups then push-ups?

How long of a rest between sit ups and push ups?

Thanks

The sit ups come first then push ups. No rest between them, just the time it takes to move from one position to the other.

The length of a beep test, so about 8 min, is the rest you get between the beep and the sit up/push ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

got the date 21st my bday ;o 30th ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

mrDerek wrote: »
    got the date 21st my bday ;o 30th ;/

Just got mine as well for the 21st. Hopefully October/November will be a realistic target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Just got mine as well for the 21st. Hopefully October/November will be a realistic target

im confident on october tbh not as much so on the fitness test been training hard just the running hasnt gone as well as id hoped though conditions havent always been ideal. Belting hot sun, Dont each much during the day and i go to the gym before i do the bleep test.

Advertisement