Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Beefy13

I got an email today saying I have a PCT date for the 21st, but I had my PCT nearly a month ago and passed everything? Anybody else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Just got mine as well for the 21st. Hopefully October/November will be a realistic target

Hi,

When did you apply or what was your OOM approx. Just so have idea myself, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭deiseman17

mrDerek wrote: »
    im confident on october tbh not as much so on the fitness test been training hard just the running hasnt gone as well as id hoped though conditions havent always been ideal. Belting hot sun, Dont each much during the day and i go to the gym before i do the bleep test.

Dont run out in the heat its false in the results youll get. Try do the beep test in a hall because the breathing in there is actually different to what it is outside. Practice what you need to do for the test ie sit ups and the press ups. Cliche but practice makes perfect and youll get better all the time.

thos23 wrote: »
    Hi,

When did you apply or what was your OOM approx. Just so have idea myself, Thanks

Hi,

My OOM is late 600s, I did my medical end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

deiseman17 wrote: »
    Dont run out in the heat its false in the results youll get. Try do the beep test in a hall because the breathing in there is actually different to what it is outside. Practice what you need to do for the test ie sit ups and the press ups. Cliche but practice makes perfect and youll get better all the time.

by different do you mean more difficult?

• Advertisement

mrDerek wrote: »
    by different do you mean more difficult?

Ya theres less air in the hall, find it just a tad bit harder getting your breath. Dont think about it too much you will be fine. Adrenaline will get you through and youll push yourself harder on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

Got pct date today 21st y July... What are the requirements for a deferal? I have an existing injury at the minute.. Rolled my ankle 2 and half weeks ago.. No pain if I'm sitting.. Only sore only when Im on if for long periods of time.. It swells up a good bit when I've walked alot.

not sure about the deferral process. Give hrm a call.

Does anyone have a link to the Loughborough 20 Meter Shuttle Run audio? Cant seem to find it anywhere i am not sure if there is a big difference in the different bleep tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

Yeh I thought about that but I don't really want to flag the issue with them if you know what I mean.. I want to be sure I need a deferal first..cant find link to Loughborough either.. I just used the army official one.. Green background and white guy on the logo

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Megan7290 wrote: »
    Yeh I thought about that but I don't really want to flag the issue with them if you know what I mean.. I want to be sure I need a deferal first..cant find link to Loughborough either.. I just used the army official one.. Green background and white guy on the logo

You need to submit a medical cert stating what the problem is and an expected recovery time frame. But get in touch with HRM closer to the time as they will give you the exact wording that needs to be on your GP letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 paddy290

Elliot192 wrote: »
    The sit ups come first then push ups. No rest between them, just the time it takes to move from one position to the other.

The length of a beep test, so about 8 min, is the rest you get between the beep and the sit up/push ups.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

Crowlers wrote: »
    Really want my physical soon lol, had to get my eyes corrected and the wait is horrible anyobne else had to do the same? if so how long from the 6 week marker did you get PCT date. Or any one else get it done and waiting like myself for the 6 week point to be up?

Hi did you get your date for the physical? How long was it after you sent in your 6 week report for the surgery? I’ve two weeks to go until I can get the letter for 6 weeks post op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kth135

Quick question for anyone who done the physical what do you do first beep test n sit/push up or obstacle course n push pull or does vary for each group

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Doyle93

kth135 wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who done the physical what do you do first beep test n sit/push up or obstacle course n push pull or does vary for each group

Run, situps, pushups, obstacle course then push pull. In that order with a 10 min break between run and situps/pushups and then almost 30/40 (or longer) mins break until obstacle course/ push pull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kth135

Doyle93 wrote: »
    Run, situps, pushups, obstacle course then push pull. In that order with a 10 min break between run and situps/pushups and then almost 30/40 (or longer) mins break until obstacle course/ push pull

Done bleep there other day about 8 mintues to get to level 8 would that be same on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Just wondering if people are scheduled to do their PCT over the next few weeks? Waiting to be called myself so just curious to see if there are dates set.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Doyle93

Fabio_1988 wrote: »
    Just wondering if people are scheduled to do their PCT over the next few weeks? Waiting to be called myself so just curious to see if there are dates set.

It's every Saturday mate they usually issue dates on the Friday two weeks in advance. What's your oom? Or when did you do the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1041

Megan7290 wrote: »

Megan PM me if you still need Loughborough link

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Has anyone had to repeat the sit ups for the physical? How long were you waiting for your repeat date?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Has anyone had to repeat the sit ups for the physical? How long were you waiting for your repeat date?

It's at least three months and you have to repeat the whole section, ie beep, sit ups, push ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Doyle93 wrote: »
    It's every Saturday mate they usually issue dates on the Friday two weeks in advance. What's your oom? Or when did you do the medical?

Oh right thanks, that’s good to know. Did medical in March but only signed off in mid June cos I had to get laser for eyes. Low 400’s OOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sillian99

Are the majority of you all candidates from the May 2017 campaign and still waiting to go to templemore? In stage 2 do they make you resit your aptitude exams, im from the 18' campaign and awaiting stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

sillian99 wrote: »
    Are the majority of you all candidates from the May 2017 campaign and still waiting to go to templemore? In stage 2 do they make you resit your aptitude exams, im from the 18' campaign and awaiting stage 2.

Stage 2 is aptitude tests, report writing and job simulation.

Sat physical went well. Id suggest people run the bleep test a few times in the weeks leading up. The wood makes it easier as the energy sapping part stopping turning starting is made easier by the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

Hi did you get your date for the physical? How long was it after you sent in your 6 week report for the surgery? I’ve two weeks to go until I can get the letter for 6 weeks post op.

Hey, my 6 weeks are up today!! :) have an appointment to get the letter tomorrow and I’ll send it straIght in. I’m guessing it’s just a letter from the place saying you had your vision corrected and it’s not whatever it is. How did yours go? I hope they sign me off dtra Thy away then

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Crowlers

Hey, my 6 weeks are up today!! :) have an appointment to get the letter tomorrow and I’ll send it straIght in. I’m guessing it’s just a letter from the place saying you had your vision corrected and it’s not whatever it is. How did yours go? I hope they sign me off dtra Thy away then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what the minimum standard of eyesight required is? They quote it as 6/18 in the info booklet but I'm looking to get it in terms of -1,-2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

I’m quite concerned as I can do 15 press ups at a push now, and I need to belt out 22 on the day.
    Is there any exercises I should be doing to help or, are ‘press ups’ the only way to practice?
    It says there is no time limit, so I can assume you can take a breather midway through in either close to the floor position, or in elevated position once you are in position/stance?
    On the sit-ups, I can just about hit 32, but am far from convincing.
    I struggle to keep my hands behind the head/ears in the movement, and could do with advice on how to improve.
    Thanks folks. Bit freaked by the prospect of the PCT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

AGS2017 wrote: »
    I’m quite concerned as I can do 15 press ups at a push now, and I need to belt out 22 on the day.
    Is there any exercises I should be doing to help or, are ‘press ups’ the only way to practice?
    It says there is no time limit, so I can assume you can take a breather midway through in either close to the floor position, or in elevated position once you are in position/stance?
    On the sit-ups, I can just about hit 32, but am far from convincing.
    I struggle to keep my hands behind the head/ears in the movement, and could do with advice on how to improve.
    Thanks folks. Bit freaked by the prospect of the PCT!!

Building your upper body strength in general will help you, bench press..dips..tricep pulls downs etc. But start doing 100 press ups a day in addition too.

The rest position is elevated holding yourself up in a straight line. The longer you hold that the harder it'll be...1/2 secs max before going again...will burn yoir arms out otherwise.

For the sit ups...your hands will have to be on your temples for the physical, they wont accept hands behind your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 AGS2017

Many thanks for that Strider. Much appreciated regarding the temples too.
    We talking 2-3 weeks to see an improvement/meet the standard?

Advertisement