Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4: Medical & Physical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liammacroibin

I have my Medical this Thursday. I rang up HRM enquiring if I needed to bring anything with me on the day, Eg ID. She told me everything is in the invitation email which states only hearing sight test etc. Does anyone know if I'll be doing Fitness test as well or is this just for medical part? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

I have my Medical this Thursday. I rang up HRM enquiring if I needed to bring anything with me on the day, Eg ID. She told me everything is in the invitation email which states only hearing sight test etc. Does anyone know if I'll be doing Fitness test as well or is this just for medical part? Thanks

It’s just the medical, fitness test will be at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Fabio_1988

Has anyone here ever rang their local station to see why vetting is taking so long? Appointments said the vetting is still with local station.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Frankgalvin

You will just be doing the Medical test. The Fitness test is done on a separate date in Templemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

How did folks get on today/saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 twyford5vale

Has anyone failed intial PCT how long do you get between then and the repeat?

Has anyone failed intial PCT how long do you get between then and the repeat?

It’s around 3months until retest

kerryman85 wrote: »
    It’s around 3months until retest

I haven't done it yet but planning ahead this whole thing is such a long process, I actually just applied to the new intake just incase eveb though I just have PCT left to do

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Kevin17W

Has anyone here failed a medical before, not the hearing or sight part. I’m just wondering if you can appeal the decision.

Kevin17W wrote: »
    Has anyone here failed a medical before, not the hearing or sight part. I’m just wondering if you can appeal the decision.

I know people with a high bmi got a few months to go away and lose weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 JimmySrfc167

When do the offers come out for the july intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AG63

Roughly does anyone have an idea how long the fitness takes?. Cheers

AG63 wrote: »
    Roughly does anyone have an idea how long the fitness takes?. Cheers

The first section takes about 20mins with about 40min - 1 hour break and then the second section is very quick (the obstacle course in 3.30 and then push pull). It’s just the waiting for your turn that takes the longest. Normally people are done between 12 and 1 (on the Saturday tests anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AG63

The first section takes about 20mins with about 40min - 1 hour break and then the second section is very quick (the obstacle course in 3.30 and then push pull). It’s just the waiting for your turn that takes the longest. Normally people are done between 12 and 1 (on the Saturday tests anyway).

Cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

When do the offers come out for the july intake?

Week two or three of June:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 shane1983

Is it true you only get a 2 min break between beep test, sit-ups and push-ups? Is it also the case that you can’t take your hands away from your head during sit-ups? I can do the sit-ups no problem with my arms static, but holding them to the head really slows me down and I can’t make the time limit. I start to fail the beep test and miss beeps at level 7 also. I’m close but yet so far to passing...

shane1983 wrote: »
    Is it true you only get a 2 min break between beep test, sit-ups and push-ups? Is it also the case that you can’t take your hands away from your head during sit-ups? I can do the sit-ups no problem with my arms static, but holding them to the head really slows me down and I can’t make the time limit. I start to fail the beep test and miss beeps at level 7 also. I’m close but yet so far to passing...

Ok.... you get about a 9min break, the length of time of the next group to complete their bleep test. You go straight in as soon as they’re done and you do the sit ups and push ups.
    For sit ups, your fingers have to be touching your temples at all times, if not the sit up doesn’t count. You need to change your technique and strengthen your core if you’re not getting them within the time limit. You literally only need to let your shoulders hit the ground and you use a bit of momentum to get a bounce. This helps a lot. Try to get a rhythm for your breathing as well. If you’re gassing out before the time limit you need to start training your core. For example doing plank exercises.
    For the bleep, if you can try start doing some HIIT training. High intensity classes really helped me with my running but I also did interval running 2-3 times a week. Look up farlek running plans, they’re horrible when you first do them but they really help with your bleep. If you want an example just drop me a DM and I’ll give you the one I used.
    You’re at level 7, a good month of training and you’d get over the level 8. Adrenaline on the day will help you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Ok.... you get about a 9min break, the length of time of the next group to complete their bleep test. You go straight in as soon as they’re done and you do the sit ups and push ups.
    For sit ups, your fingers have to be touching your temples at all times, if not the sit up doesn’t count. You need to change your technique and strengthen your core if you’re not getting them within the time limit. You literally only need to let your shoulders hit the ground and you use a bit of momentum to get a bounce. This helps a lot. Try to get a rhythm for your breathing as well. If you’re gassing out before the time limit you need to start training your core. For example doing plank exercises.
    For the bleep, if you can try start doing some HIIT training. High intensity classes really helped me with my running but I also did interval running 2-3 times a week. Look up farlek running plans, they’re horrible when you first do them but they really help with your bleep. If you want an example just drop me a DM and I’ll give you the one I used.
    You’re at level 7, a good month of training and you’d get over the level 8. Adrenaline on the day will help you as well.

That's all great advice - I'd just follow up with the advice that it takes your body 10 - 14 days to see the improvements of a running interval session.

Also to make the kind of changes you want to see for the beep or VO2max it's better if you can build your intervals up to at least 2min in duration. Sometimes the treadmill or a hill is the way to go for these. They are goddamn awful at the start but you will feel the difference in 3 - 4 weeks.

Strength & condition & stretches on your non-running days are a great idea.

Rest & recovery are just as important as your training.

Taper the week before your test. Hydrate (all the time) or at least the week before and carb load the day or two before.

A light breakfast 2.5 hours before your test, a cup of coffee 30 min before you run and a shedload of adrenaline and you'll be grand.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    That's all great advice - I'd just follow up with the advice that it takes your body 10 - 14 days to see the improvements of a running interval session.

Also to make the kind of changes you want to see for the beep or VO2max it's better if you can build your intervals up to at least 2min in duration. Sometimes the treadmill or a hill is the way to go for these. They are goddamn awful at the start but you will feel the difference in 3 - 4 weeks.

Strength & condition & stretches on your non-running days are a great idea.

Rest & recovery are just as important as your training.

Taper the week before your test. Hydrate (all the time) or at least the week before and carb load the day or two before.

A light breakfast 2.5 hours before your test, a cup of coffee 30 min before you run and a shedload of adrenaline and you'll be grand.

Agreed on everything you said. Good point about the treadmill. I found this much better for interval training.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cheallaigheoin

Is there anybody here who's order of merit is in the 500s and who has everything completed up to and including the pct? If so, is your vetting still ongoing or have you been signed off etc?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kth135

Is it possible to reshedule the fitness test if you cannot get the day off work for it?

kth135 wrote: »
    Is it possible to reshedule the fitness test if you cannot get the day off work for it?

What date did you get ?

D Trent wrote: »
    What date did you get ?

23rd June

23rd June

I'm 95% sure there will be a PCTs held on the Tuesday after, the 26th at 3pm.

Just ring HRM in Dublin they won't have a problem changing your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭22832

Is pct 23rd of june too late for July intake????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Rparker17

23rd June

When ju get the email?

Rparker17 wrote: »
    When ju get the email?

Last week

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Yes it is on medical grounds for sure, not sure for other reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

My friends I had a look back but couldn’t see any answers for my question.
    For the medical, I got an eye test for my vision a few weeks back and according to the Garda standards, passed but only slightly. If I was to fail on the day due to nerves or whatever is it plausible to get laser eye surgery and try again or would you have to start again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 KaC1994

I had my medical on 2nd of May and haven’t heard anything about fitness since! Anyone have an idea how long more I’ll be waiting? Thanks.

Advertisement