Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

Malayalam wrote: »
    Crikey, that seems difficult with the narrow spaces.
    Just goes to show with all our technical advances we are still at the mercy of nature

I've only done my PADI but I know the feeling of panic that builds when you're new to it. I was next to two instructors in beautiful water with dozens of metres of visibility. Just myself, my girlfriend and two instructors and I still had periods of hyperventilating thinking of where I was and what I was doing.

These kids are malnourished, weak and the environment they will be doing this is the worst ever possible in diving. People only dive in these conditions during rescue missions.

If I were there and sedation so I wouldn't panic was an option, I would absolutely take it. Tie my hands to my sides, tie my feet together and let the professionals attempt to guide me as best they can.

(if this sounds stupid, fair enough. I'm talking from a total layman's perspective.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Could they be safely sedated for 5 to 6 hours.

backspin. wrote: »
    Could they be safely sedated for 5 to 6 hours.

I've no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You've probably heard the answer by now but.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/07/04/lead-foreman-thai-cave-rescue-challenges-live.cnn

Last 60 seconds or so.

While he was a bit of an idiot to bring those kids into such a cave, that coach guy is a hero for keeping them together and alive in that place, keeping them moving in those narrow passages, trying to give them hope they will be rescued, comforting them.

I've only done my PADI but I know the feeling of panic that builds when you're new to it. I was next to two instructors in beautiful water with dozens of metres of visibility. Just myself, my girlfriend and two instructors and I still had periods of hyperventilating thinking of where I was and what I was doing.

These kids are malnourished, weak and the environment they will be doing this is the worst ever possible in diving. People only dive in these conditions during rescue missions.

If I were there and sedation so I wouldn't panic was an option, I would absolutely take it. Tie my hands to my sides, tie my feet together and let the professionals attempt to guide me as best they can.

(if this sounds stupid, fair enough. I'm talking from a total layman's perspective.)

I dont think its too outlandish an idea.
    I cant see how they can dive them out of that place, without serious risk to them and their rescuers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Does that come with an oxygen pack?
    Well, it wouldn't interfere with the oxygen packs they are being provided with, since they'd be on their backs.

Well, it wouldn't interfere with the oxygen packs they are being provided with, since they'd be on their backs.

They're going to be going at half a kilometer an hour. There are tanks set up something like every 25 metres. A motorised thing that could take a person away into the darkness forever in 2 seconds will never be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

It seems some of the passages are narrow enough and not enough room for two people to swim side by side so the boys would have to navigate these parts alone attached to a guide rope so i would imagine sedation is out of the question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

While he was a bit of an idiot to bring those kids into such a cave, that coach guy is a hero for keeping them together and alive in that place, keeping them moving in those narrow passages, trying to give them hope they will be rescued, comforting them.

Yeah, what a hero!! There’s already one death on his head, and I doubt it will be the last. I hope justice is served harshly on him if he gets out.

harr wrote: »
    It seems some of the passages are narrow enough and not enough room for two people to swim side by side so the boys would have to navigate these parts alone attached to a guide rope so i would imagine sedation is out of the question...

True. If they're winding narrow passages and pulling them while keeping their bodies taut isn't an option, then it's out of the question.
    Yeah, what a hero!! There’s already one death on his head, and I doubt it will be the last. I hope justice is served harshly on him if he gets out.

Do you know the full story? They didn't walk in that far; They were forced in that far by flash flooding.

It's just a disaster that will have people like yourself foaming at the mouths for a lynching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

yes, the accounts of it do not suggest utter recklessness. A normal young person's activity in the area. It was a flash flood that changed everything. I hate the baying for vengeance against another human being who did not wilfully cause harm - makes me relieved some people are not in a position of power over others.

It was an innocent enough little game that went horribly wrong.

Maybe only for him, they'd be trying to figure out how to safely get 12 corpses out, if they were even found.

Harsh justice. Eh? Would a hanging be too good for him? Long stretch in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I don't think any kind of meds would be good. They are so skinny and already disorientated. I see some recent suggestions about ''trenchless tech'' - like a huge flexible pipe laid all the way to them that they could walk out inside. Gosh, it's such a difficult problem!

Edit...
    and there is one space along the route that is about half a metre by third of a metre wide
    DhWgRaWUcAEZ-YD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

It is normally relatively dry in the cave, and was passable before the flash flood. How long would it take for the waters to drain? Am I missing something about this? :confused:

Edit: missed this

Once the rains start, they will likely be trapped for four months.

It is normally relatively dry in the cave, and was passable before the flash flood. How long would it take for the waters to drain? Am I missing something about this? :confused:

Monsoon rains start again tomorrow and will continue for months, so the level will rise. This has just been an unusually dry week for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Might not take that long for the waters to drain but the problem is the monsoon season is just starting so the waters keep being replenished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

To be honest unless they find a way in from the top or they push back further into the caves I can't see all of them making their way out alive.
    I also can't see how they could be sedated and brought out by divers..some of those passageways are extremely narrow and having 2 divers trying to carry a child while squeezing through passages and at the same time monitor the child's mask etc would be nearly impossible?
    Fingers crossed all survive though!!!

Map of the terrain level

thailandrescuechildren0307.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Prayers and hope.

Determined and skilled men fighting for the lives of children can work miracles. The faces on those men speak worlds

Blazer wrote: »
    To be honest unless they find a way in from the top or they push back further into the caves I can't see all of them making their way out alive.

One of the articles I read yesterday mentioned that the boys had said they could hear dogs barking so people are frantically looking for another way in.

Don't know if anything has come of it though. And I guess even if they find something it's no guarantee it would actually be a passage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

When more rain comes it might force a rescue, if they can't figure out something soon it could urn tragic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

When the monsoon rains start again is there a danger that the place where they are now will be flooded?
    An awful situation to be in.
    Maybe the best solution is to try to get them to the "beach" area and sit it out for the 4 months...

BigCon wrote: »
    When the monsoon rains start again is there a danger that the place where they are now will be flooded?
    An awful situation to be in.
    Maybe the best solution is to try to get them to the "beach" area and sit it out for the 4 months...

I think the beach area is flooded already, that's why they had to move further into the cave.

I honestly don't know what they're going to do here, none of the options seem particularly palatable.

Talk about a rock and a hard place :(

Elon Musk is talking about an inflatable nylon tube. He is also offering SpaceX Boring companies services

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44735412

Even reading all this has my claustrophobic based anxiety through the roof...I can’t even imagine what the poor kids are feeling...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

harr wrote: »
    Even reading all this has my claustrophobic based anxiety through the roof...I can’t even imagine what the poor kids are feeling...

Probably shouldn't read this then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I see they’re reporting that a diver has died in the rescues efforts. Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

El Weirdo wrote: »

bloody hell....there's not a hope in hell I'd ever do anything like that.
    And to think his body is still there.

http://www.nuttyputtycave.com/MLDeathQuestions.html

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Thanks for that :eek: good god my worst nightmare...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was an innocent enough little game that went horribly wrong.

Maybe only for him, they'd be trying to figure out how to safely get 12 corpses out, if they were even found.

Harsh justice. Eh? Would a hanging be too good for him? Long stretch in prison?

A sign outside warns against entering the cave during the rainy season.

Most rainfall (rainy season) is seen in May, June, July, August, September and October in Chiang Rai.

An “innocent game” smack bang in the middle of the rainy season, even though there were warnings outside the entrance cave not to enter.

He wrecklessly endangered all of the children’s lives, and has cost the life of one Thai navy diver already. Hopefully Thai justice is swift and harsh.

Advertisement