Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're Alive!!!

Options

Comments

There's a diagram for the Nutty Putty guy that legitimately made me lose sleep when I saw it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Noveight wrote: »
    I see they’re reporting that a diver has died in the rescues efforts. Tragic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/06/former-thai-navy-seal-diver-saman-kunan-dies-from-lack-of-air-inside-cave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

....... wrote: »
    Your "punishment fantasies" are getting boring.

Can you give the soapboxing a rest now?

He’s the blood of one man on his hands already and has 12 kids trapped and in serious danger and we have people on here calling him a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No guarantee of a happy ending in this one, oxygen levels dropping, a re-supply diver loses his life showing how dangerous it would be to try and dive the kids out, and no certainty the area of the cave where the kids are won't flood when the monsoon rains come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

He’s the blood of one man on his hands already and has 12 kids trapped and in serious danger and we have people on here calling him a hero.

listen man..just piss off out of the thread will you?
    I imagine he's going through enough as it is without some keyboard warrior talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Blazer wrote: »
    I imagine he's going through enough as it is without some keyboard warrior talking ****e.

Aye it was a freak accident, they just went into the first cave to do an initiation rite where the kids had to run to the end in the dark and write their name, chances of that ending in this disaster were very low, just bad luck all round. He did well to take them to safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Blazer wrote: »

Anything he’s going through is of his own making. I’d be more worried about what the parent of the children are going through due to this guys actions. Or what the family of the navy diver are going through having lost a loved one did to the actions of a wreck less coach.

You can quite easily gauge someone's intelligence by how black and white their minds are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- weldoninhio do not post in this thread again. Rerason-low level trolling and generally being a bit of a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anything he’s going through is of his own making. I’d be more worried about what the parent of the children are going through due to this guys actions. Or what the family of the navy diver are going through having lost a loved one did to the actions of a wreck less coach.

And how is this helping the situation?

No one forced the children in.It is a local custom and afaik none of the parents, who reallly are only ones with a real right to be aggrieved, has spoken out against the coach

and the navy diver was a volunteer who knew very well the risks he was taking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

They're definitely not bringing them out tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

This story's got me hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

The children and coach have sent out letters to their families.
    Tan (nickname Titan): Mum and Dad don't worry about me, I'm fine. Tell my brother to be ready to bring me fried chicken.

Love you.

Coach: To all parents, now the kids are fine. Have their stuff and people take of them very well. And I promise I will take care of the kids as best as I can. Thank you for everyone's that come to help. And I'm really sorry to the parents.

Coach: To my grandma, I'm ok, I'm fine. Don't worry about me too much. And take care of yourself. Auntie, tell grandma to cook numpak (a vegetable dish) and pork skin for me. When I get out I will go to eat. Love you guys.

Pong: I love Dad and Mum. Don't worry about me I'm safe.

Love you guys.

Nick: Mum, Dad, Nick loves Mum and Dad and siblings. If I can get out, Mum, Dad please bring me mookatha (BBQ) to eat.

Nick loves Mum, Dad and siblings <drawing of a heart>

Mark: Mum you're at home how are you? I'm fine. Can you tell my teacher. [Last part unclear.]

Mik: Don't worry about me, I miss everyone, grandpa, uncle/auntie, mum dad and brother/sister, love everyone. I am staying inside also happy. The Navy Seals take care of me very well.

Love everyone.

Dom: I'm fine. But the weather is a bit too cold. But don't worry about me. But don't forget to do my birthday party.

Adoul: Now don't worry about us already. I miss everyone. I really want to go back as fast as possible.

From Night: Night loves Mum, Dad and older sister. Don't worry about me.

Night loves everyone.

Tern: I miss Mum, Dad and Grandpa. Love to Mum and Dad. Don't worry about Tern, I can take care of myself.

Note: I'm safe, don't worry about me. Love to Mum, Dad and everyone.

Bew: Don't worry Mum, Dad. Bew disappeared for two weeks. Afterwards I will go to help Mum sell things at the shop. I will hurry to go there.

Tee: Don't worry, I'm so happy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44748924

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Oh sorry, I was posting about the same thing at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Malayalam wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I was posting about the same thing at same time

No problem its early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TimeUp wrote: »
    This story's got me hooked
    I dunno. I hope I'm wrong, but there just doesn't look like there's a good ending at this stage. This story fcking sucks. I can't even read that link in the last post, it's too depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Is it possible the water in the cave could be pumped out until it's safe to get through?

Is it possible the water in the cave could be pumped out until it's safe to get through?

That’d be like draining the Atlantic. Times of the essence before the monsoon season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They are trying at the moment, but even though they are pumping millions of liters out the water level is dropping by about 1 cm an hour....and that's when it's NOT raining :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Them messages from the kids made me sad knowing the difficulties ahead :( . Really hope they make it, heart wrenching stuff.

A detailled article from RTE; with photo

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0707/976971-thai-cave-boys/

More than 100 chimneys are being drilled into the mountainside in a frantic bid to reach a Thai youth football team trapped in a cave complex below, the head of the rescue mission said today.

The unprecedented rescue effort is attempting to establish new ways to extract the 12 boys and their 25-year-old coach from above, if the underground chambers flood and it is deemed too risky to evacuate the team by diving out through the submerged passageways.

"Some (of the chimneys) are as deep as 400 metres... but they still cannot find their location yet," Narongsak Osottanakorn told reporters, adding the mission lacked the technology "to pinpoint where they are staying".

"We estimate that (they) are 600 metres down, but we don't know the (exact) target," he said.

On the question of dipping oxygen levels in the cave, he said rescuers had managed to establish a line to pump in fresh air and had also withdrawn non-essential workers from chamber three - where the rescue base is - to preserve levels inside the cave.

The "Wild Boar" football team have been trapped inside the Tham Luang cave complex for two weeks.

Meanwhile, the coach has offered his "apologies to the parents" of the boys in a scrawled note released by the Thai Navy.

Ekkapol Chantawong was for nine days the only adult with the children - aged 11 to 16 - until they were discovered on a muddy ledge by rescue divers on Monday.

"To all the parents, all the kids are still fine. I promise to take the very best care of the kids," he said in a note given to a diver yesterday and published on the Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page today.

"Thank you for all the moral support and I apologise to the parents."

Other touching notes signed by members of the team were directed to their families, many of whom have kept an anxious vigil outside the cave for a fortnight.

"Don't worry dad and mum," said a note from one of the boys who gave his nickname as "Bew".

"I have been away for two weeks but will come back and help you sell your stuff." His family are shopkeepers.

Another note, from "Dom" said he was "fine but the weather here is a little cold".

The boys are being trained in the basics of diving in case the flood waters force authorities into a sudden evacuation through twisting and jagged passageways.

But late yesterday the authorities said they are not ready to dive out.

Mr Ekkapol's message is the first from the coach, whose role in the team's predicament has split Thai social media.

Many have lauded him after reports that he gave his share of food to the kids before they were located and helped them get through nine days in the darkness.

Others have criticised him for agreeing to take the young boys into the cave during the monsoon season.

The group entered the cave on 23 June and got trapped as floodwaters tore in.

A massive rescue operation is under way, with high-powered pumps working round-the-clock to reduce the water level inside the cave, while rescue experts weigh their options to extract the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

Thanks for the update (article) Graces7. Praying that they all get out safely.

acai berry wrote: »
    Thanks for the update (article) Graces7. Praying that they all get out safely.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I shrieked like a little girl reading the nutty putty link -Im so sorry I even half read it -I now feel totally claustrophobic and sick to the bone.

I know theres been a lot of evangalistic nonsense written about submarines and scooters - but can I ask please- did the boys enter the cave using the same route as the rescurers? If it involves crawling for hundreds of meters on your elbows in a tight twisting tunnel (now submerged) and scaling boulders several storeys high -I can well imagine boys clambering up and over high rocks but I just cannot imagine boys sqyirming along pitch black twisting worm like tunnels for half a km to get to a central cavern? Was there another way in that they used?

Was there another way in that they used?

No they went in the same way, except of course it wasn't flooded at the time.
    If it's of any help it doesn't sound like there was squirming through tunnels for half a kilometer, most of the way is fairly wide with some constrictions here and there.

There's a few diagrams a couple of pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

This is probably a braindead question but......can they not bring some kinda gps thing into where they are, then just drill straight now?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    This is probably a braindead question but......can they not bring some kinda gps thing into where they are, then just drill straight now?

Through a 1000 meters of rock? While making 100% sure that doing so isn't going to cause something to collapse in the caves?

Be great if they could but I'm not sure it'd be quite that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

It's obviously not easy, considering they have top world experts at the scene, doing everything they can. Praying to God it all ends well.

Advertisement