Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AlekSmart wrote: »
    How does one access the "Civic Amenity" site if not a Car owner..?

My local "Dump" at Ballymount is a huge improvement on what went before,in the likes of Dunsink,Ballyogan and Friarstown,BUT the charges are exorbitant for private citizens...It is as if the Operator does NOT want the ordinary folks bringing waste to the site....?

Neither the State,or it's representative Local Authorities appear to have any role other than a facilitator for the business models of a select few Waste "Management" Companies.....methinks a case for Nationalization in the National Interest ??

This fixation has allowed by Government and Contracted Companies to totally avoid methods which provenly work elsewhere in Europe....

https://earth911.com/business-policy/recycling-in-germany/

Berlin or Boston...right ?

I'd say Marie would be quickly turned back at our hard border should she turn up looking to inspect our "cosy little arrangements" here in Ireland ?

Well if one does not own a car one option is to get a friend/family member to bring you.
    I know a good few people who use them a few times a year. If they had to sign up to a bin collection they'd be be four times what they are paying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Personally I would struggle to have black bag a month and one recycling bag. Take it to the local privately operated bring centre which costs me €6 for the pair. Cardboard, electrics, wood, bottles and clothes all free. No receipt giving. Why would I pay circa €40 a month and have the hassle of wheelie bins when I have this facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its about time they go after those who dont pay for legal waste collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

We were told by the council not to touch the rubbish because if you did it would stop them being able to prosecute the person!

I would always report dumping in my area through the fix your street site run by SDCC. You’d then get an email a week later saying warden investigated. He never did. The bags were never opened. I’d pass them everyday. They would be left there for another few weeks then a council van would throw them in with the other rubbish. This happened 10+ times. I just gave up reporting.

kylith wrote: »
    Saving around €500 anually and not throwing 2,500 nappies a year into landfill is nothing to be sniffed at.

To be honest I wouldn't turn over in bed to save 500 a year never mind go to the crazy effort of having wash cloth nappies. I’m even more surprised now that you would go to the effort when it’s such an insignificant saving.

As for saving on nappies in landfill, yeah couldn’t rally care about that to be honest*

*just to say incase this is misinterpreted I detest littering and flytipping etc but using landfill or incinerators is legal and part of modern waste disposal so not something to get all worked up about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

To be honest I wouldn't turn over in bed to save 500 a year never mind go to the crazy effort of having wash cloth nappies. I’m even more surprised now that you would go to the effort when it’s such an insignificant saving.

As for saving on nappies in landfill, yeah couldn’t rally care about that to be honest*

*just to say incase this is misinterpreted I detest littering and flytipping etc but using landfill or incinerators is legal and part of modern waste disposal so not something to get all worked up about.

Try harder or even try..

Wales, Australia and other countries have a more responsible approach .

http://www.realnappies-wales.org.uk/

Poor Ireland.... Sinking in nappies... and who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My bins are included in my rent. I don't get receipts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My "local" waste centre is a 45 minute drive away. It's crazy that the Council don't set up more local centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My bins are included in my rent. I don't get receipts
    Easily proven. It's not like they'll be trying to catch you out, it's to discourage illegal dumping. I imagine there'll only be a few token prosecutions. I have the same feeling about the current hosepipe ban in Dublin, the amount of media coverage and awareness will be enough to reduce usage significantly without any prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bully for you. For some of us €500 is the difference between holiday and no holiday. Having a child is expensive enough without spending money you could save by putting yourself out for 5 minutes.

"I don't give a sht about pollution or the fact that landfill is running out", says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Does anyone know what rubbish goes in the incinerator at Poolbeg?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Bully for you. For some of us €500 is the difference between holiday and no holiday. Having a child is expensive enough without spending money you could save by putting yourself out for 5 minutes.

"I don't give a sht about pollution or the fact that landfill is running out", says it all really.

There's another nappy problem though, washing them and getting on top of that not insignificant laundry is unfortunately rarely doable for busy parents where both parents work full-time. There are quite smart reusable nappy systems now, yet it still requires quite some manual work that doesn't suit into people's lifestyle.
    Next thing is that many creches wouldn't accept them.
    I'm not making excuses there, I'm all for a change in that regard but it's one of the things where convenience wins because people live such a busy lifestyle with often 2 working parents.

LirW wrote: »

There's another nappy problem though, washing them and getting on top of that not insignificant laundry is unfortunately rarely doable for busy parents where both parents work full-time. There are quite smart reusable nappy systems now, yet it still requires quite some manual work that doesn't suit into people's lifestyle.
    Next thing is that many creches wouldn't accept them.
    I'm not making excuses there, I'm all for a change in that regard but it's one of the things where convenience wins because people live such a busy lifestyle with often 2 working parents.
    I can totally understand that, disposables are by their nature much more convenient. However it’s still a significant saving in cash, bin charges, and landfill if they’re just used for the 6 months of maternity leave. Many places run a ‘nappy library’ where you can rent them.

I think one issue they have is that people think that they’re still the terry-cloth and plastic knickers variety when in fact they’re much more like disposables in use, but you can just throw them in the washing machine.

I can totally understand that, disposables are by their nature much more convenient. However it’s still a significant saving in cash, bin charges, and landfill if they’re just used for the 6 months of maternity leave. Many places run a ‘nappy library’ where you can rent them.

I think one issue they have is that people think that they’re still the terry-cloth and plastic knickers variety when in fact they’re much more like disposables in use, but you can just throw them in the washing machine.

Not disagreeing there, it's a really good thought behind it. Even though I know a few people that would still use the disposable ones out and about because carrying a bad stinky nappy around for the day doesn't appeal to many. Still, I get that there are many savings to be made.

Not disagreeing there, it's a really good thought behind it. Even though I know a few people that would still use the disposable ones out and about because carrying a bad stinky nappy around for the day doesn't appeal to many. Still, I get that there are many savings to be made.
    I can completely understand and if it doesn’t fit with people’s lives, and I would encourage people to at least look for compostable ones that won’t sit in landfill for 300 years, it’s the ‘why would anyone do that, I don’t give a crap about the environment’ attitude that has me totally baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't mind the arrogance and this auld craic with trying to make a conspiracy theorist out of me.
    No, no, you're doing fine job of that yourself:
    They are dragging people further onto the grid by shoveling them up with plastic waste they usually don't want and forcing them to prove they paid to get rid of it.
    Yes, the food producers, bin companies and the government are all in cahoots to try and "drag people onto the grid"

All you've done so far is complain about this proposal, while offering zero alternatives whatsoever beyond, "Go and catch flytippers".

If you disagree with a proposal, offer alternatives. Otherwise all you've got is hot air.

I can completely understand and if it doesn’t fit with people’s lives, and I would encourage people to at least look for compostable ones that won’t sit in landfill for 300 years, it’s the ‘why would anyone do that, I don’t give a crap about the environment’ attitude that has me totally baffled.

I think it's very much a how long is a piece of string-question. Yes, there are people that don't care. When we had our little one, we were still living with the in-laws and using their washing machine, they were against the whole thing, little I could do.
    It's the same with buying food, some people have a serious budget and buy in supermarkets where everything is wrapped twice in plastic, because they have little choice. Others don't have the time to go to markets. Unfortunately society shifted their values in a way that by now is harming the environment a lot. We're so incredibly busy that convenience wins, be it shopping, nappies or holidays. It all needs to fit into a tight schedule.
    I grow my own veg in the garden, I put a lot of time and effort into it and it looks like an incredibly rewarding harvest. But I can only do it because I'm staying at home with my child, otherwise I'd struggle.
    We are so busy that environmental protection has little space in our schedules, which is unfortunate and dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GDPR (section 55 DPA 2018) wont offer a whole lot of protection for you in the investigation of offences by authorized data officers.

I think at one stage recently ~20% of the Dublin population were not customers of any refuse service.

When I rented an apartment I didn't pay for bins. They were a part of the complex and provided through management fees. So I wouldn't be too shocked by that 20%
    seamus wrote: »
    No, no, you're doing fine job of that yourself:

Yes, the food producers, bin companies and the government are all in cahoots to try and "drag people onto the grid"

All you've done so far is complain about this proposal, while offering zero alternatives whatsoever beyond, "Go and catch flytippers".

If you disagree with a proposal, offer alternatives. Otherwise all you've got is hot air.

Why? I don't see anything worthwhile out of this proposal. I can't disagree with it if I have nothing better, so we should put up with this crap?

It's more of this soup of the day bollocks our politicians are pushing us into, and are putting forwards fines that can target legitimate citizens for the sake of looking like they've done something about the problem. Without addressing the issue at all.

If I'm paying for my waste collection, how am I part of the issue of fly tipping? Why potentially criminalise those who are taking care of their waste correctly? It doesn't address the issue brought forward in the media last week of those companies who've been throwing waste around the place fecklessly. Their customers would have had receipts!

[m
    It's the same with buying food, some people have a serious budget and buy in supermarkets where everything is wrapped twice in plastic, because they have little choice. Others don't have the time to go to markets. Unfortunately society shifted their values in a way that by now is harming the environment a lot. We're so incredibly busy that convenience wins, be it shopping, nappies or holidays. It all needs to fit into a tight schedule.
    I grow my own veg in the garden, I put a lot of time and effort into it and it looks like an incredibly rewarding harvest. But I can only do it because I'm staying at home with my child, otherwise I'd struggle.
    We are so busy that environmental protection has little space in our schedules, which is unfortunate and dangerous.
    I’d love to have space to grow veg, and it’s one of the things we’ll be taking into consideration when we move in a couple of years.

Thankfully Lidl is now selling a lot of veg that isn’t wrapped in plastic. Makes little difference when you have to put it in plastic bags anyway, I know, but i’ll be busting out the sewing machine as soon as I get a chance and running up some reusable produce bags, and SuperValu has replaced plastic produce bags with biodegradable ones, which is awesome.

I hope that in future more companies will move toward stuff like bio-plastics made out of materials like corn or hemp, and I would love to see governments endorse that rather than go after the consumer.

I’d love to have space to grow veg, and it’s one of the things we’ll be taking into consideration when we move in a couple of years.

Thankfully Lidl is now selling a lot of veg that isn’t wrapped in plastic. Makes little difference when you have to put it in plastic bags anyway, I know, but i’ll be busting out the sewing machine as soon as I get a chance and running up some reusable produce bags, and SuperValu has replaced plastic produce bags with biodegradable ones, which is awesome.

I hope that in future more companies will move toward stuff like bio-plastics made out of materials like corn or hemp, and I would love to see governments endorse that rather than go after the consumer.

I think in order to make a difference, society would need to realise that we'd have to give up a bit of the comfort we have. Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to actually give up their level of comfort because it's a bother to spend precious time on the boring things in life. A wash of nappies takes time and is boring, baking your own bread takes time and is boring, driving on a holiday or taking public transport doesn't bring you to Australia and if it would it's long and boring.
    I don't really expect people to commit to a big change when they aren't even bothered taking their manky bottles back home from the beach.

Also my Lidl doesn't offer open veg and fruit anymore because, drumroll: Nobody bought it.

• Advertisement

Why? I don't see anything worthwhile out of this proposal. I can't disagree with it if I have nothing better, so we should put up with this crap?
    So the issue being discussed is fly-tipping. That is, the illegal disposal of waste in unauthorised locations. Either by individuals, or by companies operating without a licence.

There is a legal requirement on all householders to use a licenced operator or authorised waste facility. If you don't do that, you are committing an offence. This proposal is simply an extension of that; to enforce that legal requirement and cut down on fly tipping.

What part of the proposal do you think is flawed? By all means if you think there's no issue to be solved, then obviously you don't have to propose alternative solutions.
    If I'm paying for my waste collection, how am I part of the issue of fly tipping? Why potentially criminalise those who are taking care of their waste correctly?
    If someone is taking care of their waste correctly, how does it potentially criminalise them? If one is not paying someone to take their waste, or they're somehow operating without generating any waste, then the only other explanation is that they're disposing of it illegally.
    It doesn't address the issue brought forward in the media last week of those companies who've been throwing waste around the place fecklessly. Their customers would have had receipts!
    That's a separate issue. There are already processes in place to deal with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So the issue being discussed is fly-tipping. That is, the illegal disposal of waste in unauthorised locations. Either by individuals, or by companies operating without a licence.

There is a legal requirement on all householders to use a licenced operator or authorised waste facility. If you don't do that, you are committing an offence. This proposal is simply an extension of that; to enforce that legal requirement and cut down on fly tipping.

What part of the proposal do you think is flawed? By all means if you think there's no issue to be solved, then obviously you don't have to propose alternative solutions.

If someone is taking care of their waste correctly, how does it potentially criminalise them? If one is not paying someone to take their waste, or they're somehow operating without generating any waste, then the only other explanation is that they're disposing of it illegally.

That's a separate issue. There are already processes in place to deal with that.

The ones on that show last week were licenced.

I never denied there was an issue. I just agree this action proposed does not address it. I don't know what will. SO why would I suggest something else? Just because I don't have an answer, I can't say the one provided is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I am a customer of one of the bigger bin companies. I have 3 bins and they are all the standard ones. Pensioners, and kids have flown the nest. On our own usage they would be relatively empty most collection days. But my son ,who has his own house nearby, uses my bins to save on costs.
    (Single, mortgage, little waste) so between us we get good value. But on his own there is no way he’d warrant a taking out a contract. My next door neighbour is in the same boat, only it’s his daughter who uses his bins.

Will this be another cluster**** like Irish water or will the powers that be use their brains this time? I would hazard a guess there’s thousands like me (sometimes in reverse, parents using their children’s bins)

The ones on that show last week were licenced.
    Sure. And they were caught and will be fined and/or lose their licence.
    I never denied there was an issue. I just agree this action proposed does not address it.
    How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Do you need your name on the receipt?

I have one here it just says Boss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    Try harder or even try..

Wales, Australia and other countries have a more responsible approach .

http://www.realnappies-wales.org.uk/

Poor Ireland.... Sinking in nappies... and who cares!
    Ive used cloth nappies and found them fine,used liners with them so there was no huge mess really. Dealing with babies various expulsions didnt bother me anyway so I suppose that made it easier.
    Still wondering about waste on the island though Graces7 ? What do you do with the non recyclabes ?

Sure. And they were caught and will be fined and/or lose their licence.
    How so?

It's not the customer of the licensed operator dumping it illegaly. So why does it matter whether or not they've receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You can buy reusable mesh bags for fruit and veg, though of course if you make them yourself that's even better! I hope that in the future people will use them as a matter of course, just as we got accustomed to using our own shopping bags instead of plastics.

And with the nappies, it's not an either/or situation. You can use disposables when out and about if that suits you, and use cloth at home and at night. Every disposable that isn't used is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

AlekSmart wrote: »
    My local "Dump" at Ballymount is a huge improvement on what went before,in the likes of Dunsink,Ballyogan and Friarstown,BUT the charges are exorbitant for private citizens...It is as if the Operator does NOT want the ordinary folks bringing waste to the site....?

How is it exorbitant? €170/tonne for general waste.

2014 stats were that every person generated 331kgs of municipal waste per annum. 0.331 tonnes. But that includes recyclables that are accepted free of charge at Ballymount. Say the recyclables only account for 20%, then 0.331 tonnes becomes 0.265 tonnes. At €170/tonne, that's €45/person/year to provide a service to accept all your waste.

So, how is it exorbitant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Wash cloth nappies, well I have no words. We have a six month old and there's no way on earth I'd even contemplate them.

Advertisement