Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant sites / buildings in city..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

wakka12 wrote:
    But yeh it looks absolutely dreadful the way it is and combined with the derelict social housing and the kind of ruin-y looking bernard shaw the whole street looks a wreck

I love the ruiny looking Bernard Shaw : -)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Whats going in where Break for the border used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

wakka12 wrote: »
    Is the hendron building not protected? I love it, hopes its not knocked.

I'm all for protecting buildings with some historic or architectural value, but in all honesty, what does it bring to the area? It's a fairly bland industrial building in a prime area that could do with some development.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'm all for protecting buildings with some historic or architectural value, but in all honesty, what does it bring to the area? It's a fairly bland industrial building in a prime area that could do with some development.

Am I missing something?

Each to their own I suppose, I think its a very interesting and aesthetically pleasing looking building, and a breath of fresh air from the bland glass boxes that every modern building seems to be

But I suppose if it had merit it'd be protected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,911 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ormond Quay is a dilapidated disaster. City centre, Luas next door, wtaf. That hotel has been vacant since Adam was a boy.

And DCC is across the way looking at it every day too. Shakes head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    Families dislike living beside student rentals. Proper student accommodation will free up family homes elsewhere nearby

True but it would count double if foresight had been shown and instead of ramming more students into Dublin City... places like Athlone could have been expanded.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ormond Quay is a dilapidated disaster. City centre, Luas next door, wtaf. That hotel has been vacant since Adam was a boy.

And DCC is across the way looking at it every day too. Shakes head.

Yeah the Ormond Hotel is an eyesore at this stage. AFAIK the whole building cannot be saved but the facade has to be preserved. Which begs questions of the council about how they are letting developers sit on buildings to the point that they virtually fall down. Further down the quay you also have the former Zanzibar/Bondi beach Club. Must be at least 2,000sqm in size and its just sitting there shut for several years. DCC themselves state on their website that:-

The Derelict Sites Act defines a derelict site as any land that “detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of ”:

Structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or
    The neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or of structures on it, or
    The presence, deposit or collection of litter, rubbish, debris or waste

DCCs register for Derelict Sites (as opposed to the Vacant Sites Register) is here
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/waterwasteenvironment/derelictsites/pages/DerelictSites.pdf

Ormond hotel is being completely demolished, facade isn't protected, I think it was beyond the point of saving

Screen-Shot-2017-05-12-at-094451.png

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/iconic-ormond-hotel-knocked-down-13023906

Cant say its a big loss the new building looks just as good if not better

Bondi club also has planned redevelopment..sorry couldn't find the render.but its being converted into an aparthotel, and several setbacks are being built on top of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ormond hotel is being completely demolished, facade isn't protected, I think it was beyond the point of saving

Didn't stop some head the balls trying to have the facade protected due to links with James Joyce. Completely ignored the fact that the current facade dates from a 1930s expansion rather than the much smaller hotel which would have been there at the time of Ulysses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a wonder more people haven't helped themselves to the granite on the facade of Ormond Hotel, there's already a sizeable chunk of it missing. I don't know how they managed it tbh! The planned new building looks fairly bland but it'll be an improvement on the empty wreck that's there now. Does it make me very old that I remember when the hotel was still open? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

miamee wrote: »
    It's a wonder more people haven't helped themselves to the granite on the facade of Ormond Hotel, there's already a sizeable chunk of it missing. I don't know how they managed it tbh! The planned new building looks fairly bland but it'll be an improvement on the empty wreck that's there now. Does it make me very old that I remember when the hotel was still open? :D

The missing bits were, mostly, done deliberately to check what was beneath the render and prove that it is actually mostly a 1930s building and hence not the building from Ulysses.

Should we really be even thinkin about saving a facade just cos it was mentioned in a famous book??? I dont want lose buildings of genuine importance or beauty or significance but I hardly think Mr Joyce would turn in his grave ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Should we really be even thinkin about saving a facade just cos it was mentioned in a famous book??? I dont want lose buildings of genuine importance or beauty or significance but I hardly think Mr Joyce would turn in his grave ...

Joycean tourism is huge - however, which is more useful for Joycean tourism, an operating hotel with bar, restaurant etc or a rotting closed down one? Think its pretty obvious...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The missing bits were, mostly, done deliberately to check what was beneath the render and prove that it is actually mostly a 1930s building and hence not the building from Ulysses.

That makes more sense, it was disappearing in odd shaped chunks but I just looked at a photo of it there and it looks more uniform now that it's stopped.

I've attached the image but not embedded it cos it's huge. I left it big for the details. Taken April 2017.

Joycean tourism is huge - however, which is more useful for Joycean tourism, an operating hotel with bar, restaurant etc or a rotting closed down one? Think its pretty obvious...

Part of the planning conditions is that the new hotel has 'joycean themes' , not sure what that particularly might entail but interesting I suppose, if anyone hadn't heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

20180313_135503.jpg

This is just an example of a centrally located abandoned prime site.

Was quoted €367.00 for a one night stay in the Spencer hotel mid May.

Bonkers.

Where is that one ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where is that one ?

Former Plough pub, corner of Lower Abbey Street and Marlborough Street.

Was semi-derelict when it was open too!

Jaysis it looks a complete mess. Wonder if it is on the Derelict Sites register? If not it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Work has started on Smurfit site on Botanic rd...apparently planned park and retail not being built now?

• Advertisement

Here is another one, sitting vacant in a prime location, festering and rotting for years.

What a literal waste of space.

Should have a compulsory purchase order slapped on it.

Imagine trying to run a business from beside this.

I wish more money had been spent on fixing up the many derelict old buildings in the old town during booms, rather than all the building all those boring glass boxes out in the docks.shoulda been a park or something

Former Plough pub, corner of Lower Abbey Street and Marlborough Street.
    Was semi-derelict when it was open too!

You had to be semi drunk to cross the threshold too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

https://goo.gl/maps/TszESqbvxv42

This utter wreck opposite James's Hospital. Anyone know the story behind it and why half of one building is gone?

The half-gone building was also a pub, once upon a time.

The thing looking like a temporary lift shaft has been there since the 2009 Streetview so I presume it was a failed redevelopment. Trying to remember if it was underway when I used to pass frequently for work in 2006 and I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Muahahaha wrote: »
    DCCs register for Derelict Sites (as opposed to the Vacant Sites Register) is here
    http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/waterwasteenvironment/derelictsites/pages/DerelictSites.pdf

The really worrying and infuriating aspect to that Derelict Sites Register is that from Coolock to Santry to Chapelizod to Sandymount there are a paltry 74 properties on the entire register in March 2018 (I just counted them on your link).

DCC and Irish legislators are hopeless: to introduce a levy that "could be as much as 3%" on derelict and vacant properties as long ago as 2015 but not make it payable until 2019 sums up how serious they are about ridding this city of such eyesores.

Independent House, a prime location on Abbey Street, sitting festering and rotting in a manky condition for YEARS, it turns out belongs to Penneys. According to an article in the Journal.ie of this evening, they are trying their utmost to skive outta paying vacant building tax.

What a farce. What a bloody shambles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chinasea wrote: »
    Here is another one, sitting vacant in a prime location, festering and rotting for years.

Am I imagining it, or is there more than a whiff of a possible Dutch Billy from those buildings beside the travel agent (and indeed the travel agent itself) on Marlborough st.?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Chinasea wrote: »

They're part of the Clery's redevelopment.
    spurious wrote: »
    Am I imagining it, or is there more than a whiff of a possible Dutch Billy from those buildings beside the travel agent (and indeed the travel agent itself) on Marlborough st.?

The archaeology report goes into detail about their basements but doesn't mention anything about it being a Dutch Billy. It says it's likely from early 18th century.

• Advertisement

That's on the wrong side of Abbey Street to be part of the Clerys development surely?

They own stuff on both sides of Sackville Lane as well as through to Marlborough Street definitely but not aware of anything that far away

Advertisement