Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant sites / buildings in city..

Options
  • 13-02-2018 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Following on frm query re vacant site at luas stop thread...
    Anyone know what's happening with Smurfit Mills site on botanic rd and old Royal oak pub site on Finglas Rd?
    Also any rumours on Botanic Hse pub redevelopment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

No info on the above, but waiting with bated breath for the redevelopment of the old bank on Doyles Corner.
    The planned restaurant, Loretta's, looks like the real thing.
    www . dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00673697.pdf
    www . dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00673696.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

pmcc1 wrote:
    No info on the above, but waiting with bated breath for the redevelopment of the old bank on Doyles Corner. The planned restaurant, Loretta's, looks like the real thing. www . dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00673697.pdf www . dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00673696.pdf

hey...yeah looking forward to that..should be great addition to the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What's the story with the huge rotting ex Independent Newspaper Building on Abbey Street. How or way is this sitting festering?

Chinasea wrote:
    What's the story with the huge rotting ex Independent Newspaper Building on Abbey Street. How or way is this sitting festering?

Mad..great building in a great location...empty years..

I also see lots of demolition on Dominick St along luas line.old Michael H factory and others being levelled..wonder what's going in..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Chinasea wrote: »
    Changed hands several times after the Indo moved out, during the property bubble years. At one stage I think it was owned by Arnotts, who had a policy of trying to buy up the whole street, and we know how that ended. I'm not sure who has it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Zipppy wrote: »

I also see lots of demolition on Dominick St along luas line.old Michael H factory and others being levelled..wonder what's going in..

Both the Michael H site and the old Arnotts warehouse further up are going to be Purpose built student accommodation

Talk is the Hendron building and site will go the same way

Both the Michael H site and the old Arnotts warehouse further up are going to be Purpose built student accommodation

More student accommodation? Ah here...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every 4-6 beds in student accommodation releases a "normal" property back to "normal" rental. We have an abject shortage of dedicated student accommodation (proper facilities, fast net, sometimes on the college network, appropriate lease lengths) etc in a city with so many educational institutions. Even 6 beds of student accom doesn't take up much more space than a 2 bed apartment.

Accomodation of all types is not a zero sum game. More hotel rooms and particular aparthotel rooms damages the AirBnB market which will release houses/apartments to proper rentals; more social housing removes people from emergency accom which increases hotel rooms available which (see above)....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is the hendron building not protected? I love it, hopes its not knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Luckily the vacant site levy is on the way soon so hopefully it will mean building gets going on wasted sites around the city
    https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2018/2017/1010/911250-vacant-site-levy-to-more-than-double-to-7/
    The vacant site levy is to be more than doubled, rising from the current 3% rate that applies in the first year to 7% for the second and subsequent years.

The measure, announced in Budget 2018, will mean that any owner of a vacant site on the register who does not develop their land in 2018 will pay the 3% levy in 2019 and then become liable to the increased rate of 7% from 1 January 2019.

If land owners continue to hoard land in 2019, they will pay 7% in 2020, resulting in an effective vacant site levy of 10% over the two years.

These new rules will serve to get things moving or else land hoarders are going to see their assets losing value. Selling land with an annual 7% levy will mean the next owner will want to be getting building straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone know what's up with the Outlet Store building on South Great Georges Street? It's been abandoned for ages now. Jaipur, next to it, has been vacated for years now too and I'm guessing it's all under one owner. Why has nothing been done with it? It's an eyesore at this point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ixoy wrote: »
    Anyone know what's up with the Outlet Store building on South Great Georges Street?
    Nope. Nobody does, by the looks of things. Here's The Inquirer's enquiry on it a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The fact that there are derelict/vacant sites on O’Connell St, our national main urban thoroughfare, should be a source of deep shame.

Mind you, I’m old enough to remember the sheer level of urban blight in inner city Dublin in the 1980s, prior to the urban renewal boom. It was utterly shocking. :(

JupiterKid wrote:
    Mind you, I’m old enough to remember the sheer level of urban blight in inner city Dublin in the 1980s, prior to the urban renewal boom. It was utterly shocking.

So things are much better now....
    In time it'll all be good.

So things are much better now....
    In time it'll all be good.

Better than the third world city it was yes
    Dublin has been a very wealthy city for decades now so there shouldn't be vacant sites in the CBD, there only is some because of greed /poor planning

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes agreed but the forthcoming vacant site levy should make a difference and at the very worst Revenue will be taking income off any developer who is hoarding sites. A developer who does not build by 2021 will have to pay Revenue 17% of the site value. It is a significant sum of money and it should concentrate minds. Plus it seems to be solid legislation- even the Law Society have a derelict site on Benburb St worth 5.2m and they challenged the vacant site levy recently. DCC had earmarked it as unused land and also as suitable for housing and therefore listed it on the Register of Vacant Sites. The Law Society appealed the listing of their land and tried to convince An Bord Plenala that the site was not in a ruinous or neglected condition. Their appeal was rejected and they face levies from Jan 2019 onwards.

So with any hope other developers will see how the Law Society failed in their bid to be removed from the Vacant Site Register and either get building or get selling.

The register can be seen here. http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/Planning/Documents/VacantSitesRegister.pdf
    If you click into the reference number on each listing it will bring you to a map with the site clearly shown
    JupiterKid wrote: »
    The fact that there are derelict/vacant sites on O’Connell St, our national main urban thoroughfare, should be a source of deep shame.

I presume you are thinking the old Carlton cinema and surrounds? That site is the developer Joe OReilly and has been added to the vacant sites register. IIRC he got a 10 year extension to planning permission sometime around 2010 but he still has not built on it, possibly using the court case on Moore Street as an excuse not to. Map of the site here http://www.dublincity.ie/LocationPublisher/default.aspx?topicname=Planning&Featureid=VS-0098
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope. Nobody does, by the looks of things. Here's The Inquirer's enquiry on it a couple of years ago.

That site has been added to the register here http://www.dublincity.ie/LocationPublisher/default.aspx?topicname=Planning&Featureid=VS-0113 Gosram Properties Ltd are listed as the owner

Another one on the register is Aldi owning a site near Premier Square in Finglas, I guess they are planning a supermarket there and them being added to the Vacant Sites Register should speed that up. The register also shows large parcels of land in Ashtown & Royal Canal Park as well as the vacant John Players site on South Circular Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

There's another site in a prime location on Richmond Street which has been vacant for a long long time: https://goo.gl/maps/d4zdJo1Fy8y

It's an absolute eyesore. I know there were some art installations there occasionally, but I don't think that should qualify it from being off the vacant site register.

Theres a plan for it
    south_richmond_Street-950x630.jpg
    Oakmount Construction

I like the black brick. Quite refreshing really

But yeh it looks absolutely dreadful the way it is and combined with the derelict social housing and the kind of ruin-y looking bernard shaw the whole street looks a wreck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

wakka12 wrote: »
    I like the black brick. Quite refreshing really

But yeh it looks absolutely dreadful the way it is and combined with the derelict social housing and the kind of ruin-y looking bernard shaw the whole street looks a wreck

I see that site is under construction, but the one I was talking about is around the corner, on the same street as Aussie BBQ.

It's surprising the area has so many derelict buildings/sites seeing as it has a lot of footfall. There was supposed to be a Wetherspoons on the same street but that's been in the pipeline for a long while and no signs of it happening. Must be something I'm missing.

and now we'll have a vacant Waltons site to view as well :(

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    I see that site is under construction, but the one I was talking about is around the corner, on the same street as Aussie BBQ.

It's surprising the area has so many derelict buildings/sites seeing as it has a lot of footfall. There was supposed to be a Wetherspoons on the same street but that's been in the pipeline for a long while and no signs of it happening. Must be something I'm missing.

Oh right sorry didn't even look at your link just assumed it was that when i heard you say richmond street
    Yeh just another big gaping hole in dublin!
    Yeh I hope the wetherspoons happens soon. some of the georgian buildings it was supposed to occupy are really nice looking but in bad condition and they bring down the street in the condition they are in now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeh I hope the wetherspoons happens soon
    Opening 2019, according to the company magazine. There was a light on inside the other day, if that means anything :p

Is the hendron building not protected? I love it, hopes its not knocked.

I would hope so
    I only found out recently how old it is, I had always assumed it was built in more modern times, it is a big site so I wouldn't be surprised to see something done there though

I would hope so
    I only found out recently how old it is, I had always assumed it was built in more modern times, it is a big site so I wouldn't be surprised to see something done there though

How old is it? It looks like early modern to me like 1920's or 30's

How old is it? It looks like early modern to me like 1920's or 30's

I remember seeing a black and white photo of the area (probably from a thread here on Boards), taken from Constitution hill looking back up to the Hendrons site, I assumed it was early 1900's (the photo, not the building) and showed that there was a building occupying the site

So in my mind for some reason the Hendron building seems a lot older but it seems construction started in 1945-46 and went on in stages for many years

The building isn't much to look at but it houses a rabbit warren of artists/small business's that might struggle to find a home elsewhere so for that reason i would prefer to see it used as is, though maintained better, than turned into student accommodation

1946 according to this

All that's protected on that end of Dominick Street is a few houses and Cumiskey's pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Honestly - why they think shoving students in shoeboxes is going to help I don't know. Surely it would be better for all if they built family homes that can also be used for students. Students, in my experience, prefer a houseshare over a bedsit/single unit & it's surely better for their mental health & development to learn how to live with people and all the fun & responsibility that brings with it.

Most of these *are* communal units - they're bedrooms with ensuites and otherwise shared facilities. They usually have a small number of fully self contained for those who specifically want that

Families dislike living beside student rentals. Proper student accommodation will free up family homes elsewhere nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Had a skim of that register. I'm very suprised the vacant building that lies at the junction of Townsend St and Lombard Street isn't there. It has been in ruins for over 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Had a skim of that register. I'm very suprised the vacant building that lies at the junction of Townsend St and Lombard Street isn't there. It has been in ruins for over 10 years

Only speculating but it might be to do with the size of it. To be included in that register a site must exceed 0.05 of a hectare.

Advertisement