Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I wonder what the plan is with the proposed orbital bus corridors. Good luck removing these trees:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3530575,-6.296713,3a,75y,231.79h,93.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK_6Bn9dM-ezQQ9Q-AJa-nA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

roadmaster wrote: »
    If the government want the public to go electric  they should lead by example and go all in with electric public transport options. Set a date where all urban buses are completely electric and speed up the electrification of the rail network . It may cost a lot money up front but they will safe money in the long run.
    Could also be a good way to put these semi state companies on a more sustainable footing for a few years, by throwing capital at them that reduces their operational costs. And let them gradually increase staff remuneration without changing the headline figure given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cgcsb wrote: »
    I wonder what the plan is with the proposed orbital bus corridors. Good luck removing these trees:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3530575,-6.296713,3a,75y,231.79h,93.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sK_6Bn9dM-ezQQ9Q-AJa-nA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

NCR is too close to the quay at that location to be an orbital.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not according to the indicative orbital corridors shown by the NTA on page 13 of this document!

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1225/busconnects-public-consultation-document-web-low-res.pdf

Like much of this plan I remain to be convinced about the practicality of the inner one!

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Not according to the indicative orbital corridors shown by the NTA on page 13 of this document!

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1225/busconnects-public-consultation-document-web-low-res.pdf

Like much of this plan I remain to be convinced about the practicality of the inner one!
    Really, bizarre it's 7 minutes walk from the quays!

• Advertisement

Really, bizarre it's 7 minutes walk from the quays!

It’s still on an orbital corridor per the NTA plans. Look at the map.

While it’s close to the city they plan on using it for buses skirting the edge of the city centre without going through it.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It’s still on an orbital corridor per the NTA plans. Look at the map.

I wasn't doubting you. I was just surprised the NTA made such a choice

I wasn't doubting you. I was just surprised the NTA made such a choice

Well the Phoenix Park is in the way!! ;-)

There’s not many other options for an inner orbital set of bus routes.

Of course that doesn’t mean that it will actually happen to the extent of a proper QBC - I’d seriously doubt it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well large parts of that route is ideal for an orbital route. The entire length of Griffith Avenue has tons of space for a dedicated bus lanes with little effort on road changes. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't continue it as far as Malahide Road, there is an excellent turn around and waiting place at the end of Griffith Avenue with the 123 terminates.

Obviously Phoenix Park is in the way, but nice that it will pass and integrate with Hueston Station. It would allow people from all along Malahide Road, Griffith Avenue, Finglas and surrounding areas to have a good quality link to Phoenix Park and Hueston Station, allowing those folks coming into Hueston on a train to bypass the city.

It is exactly the sort of not having all routes going right through O'Connell Street.

BTW This orbital route would pass close by the Dublin Industrial Estate which really would make a perfect location for the next SDZ, with great connectivity between both Luas and Rail stations passing right next to it, Metrolink not far and also possibly this orbital route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I know this may sound controversial but what's so bad about the idea of running buses through the Phoenix. You could ban cars from using the park at certain times and just have buses running through it. That would the mean that the park would be exclusive to buses and bikes making the park a more pleasant place surely. Rather have one bus going by every every 10 minutes than 20 cars going by if I was walking or cycling.

The only issue I see is you may be diverting buses away from more populated areas but residents from the North West Dublin would benefit from faster journey times on routes going through the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know this may sound controversial but what's so bad about the idea of running buses through the Phoenix. You could ban cars from using the park at certain times and just have buses running through it. That would the mean that the park would be exclusive to buses and bikes making the park a more pleasant place surely. Rather have one bus going by every every 10 minutes than 20 cars going by if I was walking or cycling.

The only issue I see is you may be diverting buses away from more populated areas but residents from the North West Dublin would benefit from faster journey times on routes going through the park.

I've always thought that there should be buses to Blanchardstown etc that use the Phoenix Park but only on the condition that cars are removed from Chesterfield Avenue (again). I'd like to see them as electric only too, though maybe it'd be seen as a security risk given the proximity of the Áras and other important diplomatic buildings.

Qrt wrote: »
    I've always thought that there should be buses to Blanchardstown etc that use the Phoenix Park but only on the condition that cars are removed from Chesterfield Avenue (again). I'd like to see them as electric only too, though maybe it'd be seen as a security risk given the proximity of the Áras and other important diplomatic buildings.

I wouldn't see it as being a security risk sure if it was why would they let cars in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know this may sound controversial but what's so bad about the idea of running buses through the Phoenix.

The only people who consider it controversial are the OPW who, despite being a government agency, see fit to forbid another government agency from operating buses through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

markpb wrote: »
    The only people who consider it controversial are the OPW who, despite being a government agency, see fit to forbid another government agency from operating buses through it.

Is there proof of this? Have db tried to route buses through here in the past and been blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, the city council should run the park, OPW can manage the Aras, Farmleigh.
    Have never been a fan of some of the things they do with it...regularly closing bits off for weekend fun runs organised by groups based at the other end of the country, hosting pricy private events like Bloom, Ed Sheeran concerts etc...
    Suppose its all a good little cash cow for the state (rather than the city) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Yes, the city council should run the park, OPW can manage the Aras, Farmleigh.
    Have never been a fan of some of the things they do with it...regularly closing bits off for weekend fun runs organised by groups based at the other end of the country, hosting pricy private events like Bloom, Ed Sheeran concerts etc...
    Suppose its all a good little cash cow for the state (rather than the city) though.

That's just nonsense.

And you think that everything happens in the Park in some sort of bubble whereby the locals don't enjoy it?

Nice little earner for the State rather than the city? What is thatmeant to mean at all? And why would you think DCC would do a better job at "managing" the Park?

Are other people in the State not allowed use it?

Why so against teh "closures" at the weekend? Does it interfere with your race through it?

---

Running passenger service buses (tours already use it) through the park is a no go and tbh very stupid.

For starters as soon as you get out of the park (NS) you hit Castleknock and then what? Have huge queues of buses waiting to get through teh one-way gate at the top of Cherstefield Avenue.

I'm sure the people of Blanchardstown would prefer to continue to use their QBC up the Navan Road. Maybe fixing bottlenecks like Manor St and Prussia St shoudl be on the menu first?

We're lucky to have the Park and to turn it into a rat run commuter route will undermine it. They are currently making it harder and harder to use it for cars as it is. And that will continue apace.

By the time the likes of the 37 would wait to get through the gate they would be onto the Navan Road at the Halfway House.

They would be better served fixing up the Blackhorse Avenue priority and the road itself which is a disgrace and allowing the 37 travel the full length of it to Aughrim St rather than that mental diversion via the Navan Road and then Skreen Road. That should come first before the amount of work that would have to be done to allow buses to use the Phoenix Park as a commuter channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

DgiCsbzX4AYRBUp.jpg

I'm having a look with the Wright Streetair bus with Varadkar in front of it. It has a TFI & Project Ireland 2040 logo printed on the side.

Would this bus be heading for a hybrid evaluation with Dublin Bus soon or could it be going to Bus Eireann?

With the upcoming hybrid bus trial with Dublin Bus; does it not have to be all double deck vehicles as it can be mixed with single decks? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The branding is over the side number "blind" so I would only surmise that that is there for the photo op.

Still using the old eclipse front on the single deckers which all the way back to 1999 might familiar to some from the old the DB bendybuses and the BE VWL class.

I thought they would go for the new look for a hybrid bus or a hybrid Streetlite rather than an old design.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uCxAvi2

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

DgiCsbzX4AYRBUp.jpg

I'm having a look with the Wright Streetair bus with Varadkar in front of it. It has a TFI & Project Ireland 2040 logo printed on the side.

Would this bus be heading for a hybrid evaluation with Dublin Bus soon or could it be going to Bus Eireann?

With the upcoming hybrid bus trial with Dublin Bus; does it not have to be all double deck vehicles as it can be mixed with single decks? Right?

Leo varadkar is clearly trying to be the new Bertie Ahern with his constant need for photo ops and leftist virtue signaling. And we know how that worked out. Leo is getting drunk on the social justice coolade. Someone should tell all these politicians, constant social justice, leftist policies alienate more voters then they attract.

Varadkar has copied and pasted the spin tactics of Bertie and Tony Blair. He should cut out all this Bull**** as it has damaged and is eroding all his new leader political capital.

He is making FG to be all style and no substance and i wont vote for that crap. Back to topic bus connects is a wonderful plan and i hope it is implemented. I use the buses sometimes. The service has improved in the last decade with the investment Dublin Bus has received. It is a good service if a bit too expensive relative to public transport costs in other countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Qrt

leftist policies

I really don't think he can be described as "leftist" in any way, shape or form.
    He is making FG to be all style and no substance and i wont vote for that crap

This I can agree on. Fine Gael don't seem to do...much at all? Donohue must be one of the most reclusive finance ministers we've ever had.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Qrt wrote: »
    I really don't think he can be described as "leftist" in any way, shape or form.

This I can agree on. Fine Gael don't seem to do...much at all? Donohue must be one of the most reclusive finance ministers we've ever had.

I agree with this policy. Far too much time wasted in recent years throwing fivers at this and fivers at that. The economy is doing well enough without this kind of "intervention" and it'd be better just leaving well alone.

The increase in the capital envelope starting from next financial year is very much welcomed however and, hopefully it'll come to fruition, it'll be nice to see some money being spent on badly needed projects.

What has evolved into the now NTA are semi-independently driving along several much needed projects (Metro North/South, DART expansions, BusConnects) and I hope these are implemented free from the usual party political bull**** of certain parties needing to put their own stamp on them. It's time for the country to start acting maturely and dragging itself into the 21st century instead of being an archaic dysfunctional corporate tax haven.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well Go Ahead are getting 40 or so single decker Streetlites for some of their quieter routes, so a Streetair or two to trial EV single deckers seems reasonable. Though this could be separate to the rumoured DB hybrid trial.
    marno21 wrote: »
    I agree with this policy. Far too much time wasted in recent years throwing fivers at this and fivers at that. The economy is doing well enough without this kind of "intervention" and it'd be better just leaving well alone.

Yes, the best thing you can do when times are good is do nothing at all!

And that is hard to do politically, because you have every union in the country screaming for pay increases and big spending and tax cuts. All a recipe for overheating the economy and a nice big bubble to be burst horribly.

I'd hope we had learned our lesson from the Celtic Tiger years and a bit of financial restraint would be nice for a change.

And no, I'm not talking about infrastructure, that is a bit different since we have such a big infrastructural deficit and much catching up to do in that area.

bk wrote: »
    Well Go Ahead are getting 40 or so single decker Streetlites for some of their quieter routes, so a Streetair or two to trial EV single deckers seems reasonable. Though this could be separate to the rumoured DB hybrid trial.

BK you seem knowledgeable in the this area. Why do we need to trial this technology? It's not like are on the burning edge here . We are following in the wake of dozens if not hundreds of other cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

marno21 wrote: »

The increase in the capital envelope starting from next financial year is very much welcomed however and, hopefully it'll come to fruition, it'll be nice to see some money being spent on badly needed projects.

I don't think people realise how large this is.

Voted capital expenditure is set to rise from €4,585m in 2017 to €7,550m in 2020. That's an increase of €3bn or 65% in the space of just three years. The increase alone is about 1.5% of economic activity.

It is coming from a low base but the increase is going to be very, very large.

BK you seem knowledgeable in the this area. Why do we need to trial this technology? It's not like are on the burning edge here . We are following in the wake of dozens if not hundreds of other cities.

You mean trial Hybrid buses? I agree completely and was thinking the same. Thousands of them in use every day in London for years now, we should have started getting those a few years ago. The issue was one of money I think.

In fairness though, you would want to do a small trial, just to allow your mechanics to become familiar with the different tech and perhaps allow drivers to get used to different driving characteristics.

Hopefully it will be a very quick trial and then they will order all new buses as at least hybrids.

The full EV buses is a bit different, they are bleeding edge tech and still relatively unproven, at least in Europe.

The above StreetAirs, only 6 have been built so far AFAIK and they have been on trial at Lothian Bus in the UK, but rumour has it that the trial didn't go well and they are now ordering more standard Euro 6 buses.

Here is at interesting article about all the different EV and Hydrogen buses being trialled in London:

http://beno.org.uk/bus/hybrid/electric.html

Looks like BYD are the ones who are knocking it out of the park. Not surprising, in China they have already built 35,000 full EV buses and are building 15,000 new ones per year! They are a serious large scale producer and actually build the batteries too. All the rest are just small manufacturers producing the odd prototype with bought in batteries. Basically BYD are the Tesla of the bus market.

It's part of one of the orbital routes

bk wrote: »
    Well large parts of that route is ideal for an orbital route. The entire length of Griffith Avenue has tons of space for a dedicated bus lanes with little effort on road changes. Though I'm not sure why they wouldn't continue it as far as Malahide Road, there is an excellent turn around and waiting place at the end of Griffith Avenue with the 123 terminates.

Obviously Phoenix Park is in the way, but nice that it will pass and integrate with Hueston Station. It would allow people from all along Malahide Road, Griffith Avenue, Finglas and surrounding areas to have a good quality link to Phoenix Park and Hueston Station, allowing those folks coming into Hueston on a train to bypass the city.

It is exactly the sort of not having all routes going right through O'Connell Street.

BTW This orbital route would pass close by the Dublin Industrial Estate which really would make a perfect location for the next SDZ, with great connectivity between both Luas and Rail stations passing right next to it, Metrolink not far and also possibly this orbital route.

As an orbital route it certainly would be handy connecting cabra to the airport which is currently a long and heart breaking trial of one's nerves, via parnell square.

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Leo varadkar is clearly trying to be the new Bertie Ahern with his constant need for photo ops and leftist virtue signaling. And we know how that worked out. Leo is getting drunk on the social justice coolade. Someone should tell all these politicians, constant social justice, leftist policies alienate more voters then they attract.

Varadkar has copied and pasted the spin tactics of Bertie and Tony Blair. He should cut out all this Bull**** as it has damaged and is eroding all his new leader political capital.

He is making FG to be all style and no substance and i wont vote for that crap. Back to topic bus connects is a wonderful plan and i hope it is implemented. I use the buses sometimes. The service has improved in the last decade with the investment Dublin Bus has received. It is a good service if a bit too expensive relative to public transport costs in other countries

A political/personal rant with zero relevance to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

cgcsb wrote: »
    A political/personal rant with zero relevance to the thread.

Read my post again. You will see i stated good progress in improving DB service has been made in past decade. And that i think Bus Connects is a good plan. Those points are relevant to this thread.

Get back in your box :rolleyes:

Advertisement