Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Give us an example of how "You can buy your place in heaven with the RCC".

Go on. Tell us how it works.

Couldn't be that you're talking ignorant shite could it? :pac:

Because I can give you plenty of examples of Evangelicals from the US doing it blatantly and overtly. Surely you can explain to me how the RCC does it?

Hand over money for favours from god. Simples.

You are getting very worked up over this thread. There was me thinking that Donald Trump was a Presbyterian.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Whatever your opinion of the Catholic Church, snapping up tickets that might mean an individual person misses out is pretty nasty

As it is meant and intended to be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hand over money for favours from god. Simples.

You are getting very worked up over this thread. There was me thinking that Donald Trump was a Presbyterian.

Ah so you have no examples.

Thought so

:pac:

Shouldn't have fallen asleep in the middle of JC year history. You should educate yourself me oul' pal before writing stuff in public that could make you seems like an awful ignorant eejit altogether

Graces7 wrote: »
    As it is meant and intended to be :rolleyes:

So what about the state I.e. all us tax payers contributing to the popes trip? Still not happening in your world?

Ah so you have no examples.

Thought so

:pac:

Shouldn't have fallen asleep in the middle of JC year history. You should educate yourself me oul' pal before writing stuff in public that could make you seems like an awful ignorant eejit altogether

That’s all mad coming from yourself. But sure you stay nice.

By the way, I did give you an example.

• Advertisement

That’s all mad coming from yourself. But sure you stay nice.

By the way, I did give you an example.

As I said, you have no examples. You gave a somewhat loose Junior Certificate definition of Indulgences without saying the word. But no examples of such a thing existing in current times.

You made a stupid untrue statement and have nothing to back it up. Persisting with it, is not helping your case

Should be easy to tell us the details? No? How much it takes to buy our way into Heaven and to whom do we send it to? Is there an official form that I can download online?

As I said, you have no examples. You gave a somewhat loose Junior Certificate definition of Indulgences without saying the word. But no examples of such a thing existing in current times.

You made a stupid untrue statement and have nothing to back it up.

Should be easy to tell us the details? No? How much it takes to buy our way into Heaven and to whom do we send it to? Is there an official form that I can download online?

Unfortunately the church doesn’t like filling out forms any more. Otherwise they would have to report smaller membership numbers. You should ask your bishop about ‘donations’.

Since you were too lazy to look it up I’ve decided to help you. https://www.aol.com/2009/02/10/buy-your-way-to-heaven-the-catholic-church-brings-back-indulgen/

So I’ll await your apology for being a complete arsehole to me.

Unfortunately the church doesn’t like filling out forms any more. Otherwise they would have to report smaller membership numbers. You should ask your bishop about ‘donations’.

This is great. You keep sticking with the same ignorant line. I'm getting great craic out of this.

If some fella was asking you for money to get into Heaven, he might not have been a religious person, might just have been zoning in on an easy target and decided to deviate from his usual "Euro for a bus" shtick. So the next time that he asks you, don't give it to him

There are no monetary Indulgences. There never were official monetary Indulgences however in the Middle-Ages the concept of Indulgences were abused in order to take money from people.

But you do know we aren't in the Middle-Ages anymore? Right?

Just checking

This is great. You keep sticking with the same ignorant line. I'm getting great craic out of this.

If some fella was asking you for money to get into Heaven, he might not have been a religious person, might just have been zoning in on an easy target and decided to deviate from his usual "Euro for a bus" shtick. So the next time that he asks you, don't give it to him

There are no monetary Indulgences. There never were official monetary Indulgences however in the Middle-Ages the concept of Indulgences were abused in order to take money from people.

But you do know we aren't in the Middle-Ages anymore? Right?

Just checking

Good job on quoting half my post.

Good job on quoting half my post.

I quoted all of what was there when I started to reply.

It was only after I submitted mine that I saw you had edited it to include some random article.

• Advertisement

I quoted all of what was there when I started to reply.

It was only after I submitted mine that I saw you had edited it to include some random article.

Still waiting for the apology. Although like the church I’ll take cash and I’ll even donate it to the LGBT. charity in order to get you one of those tickets from the earlier poster. Some sins are bigger than an apology!

Still waiting for the apology. Although like the church I’ll take cash and I’ll even donate it to the LGBT. charity in order to get you one of those tockets from the earlier poster. Some sins are bigger than an apology!

I did not mean to be an arsehole to you but I still hold my points even if I did not express them in the most civil manner.

The article that you gave is a random unverified and has no references.

Surely if any Church was offering monetary indulgences, they would be advertising same? No? What would be the point of running some scam but then not advertising it.

It doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I though there was some controversy that he was due to visit before the abortion referendum? What happened here, was the ref set back before the visit or was his visit plans set forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I think it's time to stop and consider the Lily...

I did not mean to be an arsehole to you but I still hold my points even if I did not express them in the most civil manner.

The article that you gave is a random unverified and has no references.

Surely if any Church was offering monetary indulgences, they would be advertising same? No? What would be the point of running some scam but then not advertising it.

It doesn't happen.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?ref=us

There are links to references in that article. But is still doesn’t happen because you didn’t know about it. That’s why I said to talk to your bishop.

ETA: lack of Common knowledge doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I know of a pastoral centre that never advertises that it hires rooms for meetings. Most people don’t know it does but it’s still booked out most of the time.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/nyregion/10indulgence.html?ref=us

There are links to references in that article. But is still doesn’t happen because you didn’t know about it. That’s why I said to talk to your bishop.

ETA: lack of Common knowledge doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I know of a pastoral centre that never advertises that it hires rooms for meetings. Most people don’t know it does but it’s still booked out most of the time.

Look, as I said monetary indulgences were never an official policy but were abused by people within the Church in the Middle ages. Your link talks about plenary indulgences which is a broad term. Even then article that you quote says this

You cannot buy one — the church outlawed the sale of indulgences in 1567 — but charitable contributions, combined with other acts, can help you earn one.

"Selling" them been banned since 1567. That's official RCC policy and it's far enough back in history for us to not judge its current leaders on that particular point.

And to preempt a particular point you might make, here is nothing any more sinister with encouraging people to give to charity than it is for the Dali Lama or some Eastern spiritual guru telling people to share and help others less fortunate. Maybe they'll call it Karma or some such thing. Your average person will tell it to their kids to share with those less fortunate.

But you cannot "buy your way into Heaven in the RCC"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

will this all be on the telly?

Look, as I said monetary indulgences were never an official policy but were abused by people within the Church in the Middle ages. Your link talks about plenary indulgences which is a broad term. Even then article that you quote says this

"Selling" them been banned since 1567. That's official RCC policy and it's far enough back in history for us to not judge its current leaders on that particular point.

And to preempt a particular point you might make, here is nothing any more sinister with encouraging people to give to charity than it is for the Dali Lama or some Eastern spiritual guru telling people to share and help others less fortunate. Maybe they'll call it Karma or some such thing. Your average person will tell it to their kids to share with those less fortunate.

But you cannot "buy your way into Heaven in the RCC"

Yeah right...give €x to the diocese charity and well absolve you of your sin and you’ll get into heaven. Doesn’t happen? I’m sure they don’t say go and help the local dog charity and give them €x for absolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

You can be sure as shít RTÉ will be all over this like a rash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Yes. With all those swooping camera angles to give it an epic feel, covered by tremendously excited RTÉ reporters hoping to bag exclusive interviews in the VIP section.

• Advertisement

Yeah right...give €x to the diocese charity and well absolve you of your sin and you’ll get into heaven. Doesn’t happen? I’m sure they don’t say go and help the local dog charity and give them €x for absolution.

It's very difficult to have a debate with someone who extrapolates some specific imagined scenario/suspicion to a general claim, without any tangible evidence of either.

There is no basis for your original statement which I quote again below
    You can buy your place in heaven with the RCC. Consumerism at its worst. Praying on the vulnerable.

In fact, the only ones attempting to profit from the "vulnerable" for this event are those on here whom have gleefully admitted to snapping up tickets in the hope of selling them on for either personal profit or to raise money for their own causes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For certain, yes.

This will be a big news story....I could see the British channels leading with this and having it as their main news item on both days. They had a visit themselves from Benedict in 2010 but Pope Francis would be much more high profile and more popular as a Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Strazdas wrote: »
    For certain, yes.

This will be a big news story....I could see the British channels leading with this and having it as their main news item on both days. They had a visit themselves from Benedict in 2010 but Pope Francis would be much more high profile and more popular as a Pope.

I'm assuming it would be full on live coverage, all day type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

On a serious note.. can you imagine the ques for Comminion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    No, no donations solicited or wanted. Just got myself another 8 tickets using my friends email address. 12 empty seats and counting.

You sound both full of yourself and exceptionally bitter.

Look maybe you have reason, i don't know you, if you were abused that's tragic. However if so i think your anger is counter productive and you could be doing a lot more productive things with your time than buying up tickets for a papal visit denying ordinary people of good will a chance to see their spiritual leader, who they consider to be a good man.

Your behaviour is childish and full of conceit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

i just got 24 :D
    24 more empty seats

It's a standing event! Unless you bring your 24 folding chairs and leave the area nobody will notice your no show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If people had to pay for tickets they would have sold out in 30 minutes. Since they are free no once seems to want them. Plenty left.
    I had to provide my registration number.
    It seems like they accept online ordained "ministers".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You know reading through this makes me feel ashamed that I also got 12 tickets to be not used (wasn't serious about eBay)

I complain all the time about the hard left trying to shut down events with Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris etc.

I'm doing no better here, yes the RCC is a rotten institution, yes this is a colossal waste of money, but people should be free to choose.

I would have HOPED people didn't go, but blocking them ????

I didn't think it through, I will offer my tickets to people that genuinely want them - closer to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thankfully I know 1800 people who may or may not be going. Perhaps some of them will need your 12 tickets too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    'Praying', saw what you did there.

He just can't spell!!!

Advertisement