Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Emmet Stagg and his pals will have to make alternative arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you want to go you want to go, if you don't you don't. I don't think it is necessary to try and make little of the events just because one is holding personal issues with the church.
    The Pope will be visiting the Capuchins in Dublin who feed the hungry, will be visiting prisoners in jail and I expect people who were abused by the church.
    So many people on their high moral ground about not going, so what you don't want to go. I won't be going either but I have seen the Pope before anyway so I don't feel the need to again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have seen the Pope before anyway so I don't feel the need to again.

Where you touched by the Pope?.

I mean spiritually of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you want to go you want to go, if you don't you don't. I don't think it is necessary to try and make little of the events just because one is holding personal issues with the church.
    The Pope will be visiting the Capuchins in Dublin who feed the hungry, will be visiting prisoners in jail and I expect people who were abused by the church.
    So many people on their high moral ground about not going, so what you don't want to go. I won't be going either but I have seen the Pope before anyway so I don't feel the need to again.

It's important to question events that cost millions of euro of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

"Free" with a suggestion to make a donation to cover "expenses".

Still free though. Was tempted to donate, but then thought I am only going to see him, not to donate to the church or an organisation. I see the donate icon on the website, the same as I see the church plate the odd time I go. Give if you want, dont if you dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

5starpool wrote: »
    One thing I have never really gotten about this praying lark is that when something good happens, it's thanks god and "I prayed that would happen, he listened" stuff, and when something bad happens "it's god's test". Do people really believe that there is a god out there who micromanages lives and decides to occasionally intervene and make Mary pass her leaving cert, or John recover from a heart attack?

Whatever about believing in eternal salvation and an afterlife and so on, that's one thing and is pure faith in something. I can respect that (even if I can't understand it). Thinking though that any sort of prayer for action on something can or would have any sort of influence or something though is the epitome of wishful thinking and just ridiculous.

can be explained easily with the help of multimeeeeedia :

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's important to question events that cost millions of euro of taxpayers money.

Events that get worldwide coverage and bring in tourists to the country.
    Hotels in Dublin will be full, restaurants will be doing extra business, transport will be making more money, one can be a Debbie Downer and only see the negative side.
    Imagine how good Ireland will look if we are getting similar weather to this week.
    The church is fundraising for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I could really do without it. Traffic will be a massive pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All tickets gone in 3 hours....we'll be seeing some on DoneDeal shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I would hope that being against a mass cover up of child abuse that went through the very highest levels of the church and still unresolved to this day is not simply "holding personal issues against the church".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,654 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The event itself isn't costing the exchequer anything. The event will bring in far more revenue for the exchequer than the cost of providing security for a visiting dignitary, pretty much the same way it costs to provide security for any visiting dignitary. In short - the visit by the Pope will pay for itself many times over.

I don't know if I'll go, I was intending on going, but there are far too many people determined to make sure nobody should get to enjoy themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why don't the trendy atheists understand that some people need the idea of God to help them in life? Instead of constantly sneering at them, why not respect that. I don't believe in God but I can't join the new atheist mob. For example, I wouldn't have the arrogance to sneer at a mother who prays every night that she will see her dead child in another life. Or I wouldn't scoff at the local prayer group who visit the sick and elderly every evening. Unfortunately I just don't possess that level of arrogance.

Who scoffed or sneered at anything? You making up what my attitude to this is, is far more arrogant and assuming than anything I did. I don't understand it. There is no logic whatsoever to it. That is what I said. Blind faith in 'something' is fine and up to people themselves, but the individual aspects of this that people choose to ascribe to god but deny for other things as 'free will' or whatever, is in no way understandable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I don't know if I'll go, I was intending on going, but there are far too many people determined to make sure nobody should get to enjoy themselves.

That sounds a bit like the Catholic Church to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

"Free" with a suggestion to make a donation to cover "expenses".

Yes - but with a guarantee that if you chose to make no donation that you would still get your ticket. I chose to made no donation (which I feel guilty about) but still immeduately was confirmed all the tickets I asked for.Free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I chose to made no donation (which I feel guilty about)

I wouldn't worry, I'd imagine you'll have plenty of opportunity to donate on the day

They are non transferable tickets and it was said the organisers and the Gardai would be involved if the person with the ticket is not the person who bought the ticket.
    Maybe it is for security purposes, they do have so much security in Rome due to ISIS saying they want to murder him and want to attack that city.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It'll be packed. There's still plenty of old folk about. Another generation or so and the Pope will be needing to pay people to show up however. Shame I won't be around to see it though.

actually you are wrong .. About the future..

Knock ones yes. But you can still get in the queuing system on the website for the Phoenix Park.

hawkelady wrote: »
    No , I don’t subscribe to some old man wearing a table cloth who’s company hands around a basket for the unwashed to put money in ! Twice.
    It’ll be interesting to see how many turn up to this farce

Knock is sold out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I am going because He gives good mass…he really knows how to work the altar.
    Look at that chalice work.....effortless...

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I would hope that being against a mass cover up of child abuse that went through the very highest levels of the church and still unresolved to this day is not simply "holding personal issues against the church".

And do you have these issues with the general population, various councils/organisations and the government who knew many of the "dodgy" priests and did nothing about it? It's incredibly naive to believe that only the priests were involved in the child abuse and subsequent cover-ups over decades. But, nah, you'll focus on the Church and heap all the blame on it, and by the manner of your posts, everybody who has served in the Church.

There are millions of people who have served the Church faithfully, and without any connection to the child abuse. You, and others here, with their sweeping statements throw dirt all over them.

I have an Aunt who is a nun. She's been a nun since she was 15, trained as a nurse, served as a missionary abroad, returned to Ireland working with the poor, and has provided a more help to others than you have. Your stance on the child abuse labels her just as much as anyone else.

I do understand the outrage about the Child abuse, but can we have some maturity about it? Be a little bit more reasonable and stop including millions in the behavior of a minority.

valoren wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the financial aspect to this.

How much is the government paying out to facilitate this? Into the millions no doubt.
    Will the money people are charged for tickets be used to re-reimburse the state coffers? I doubt it.
    It would be more palatable and 'christian' I guess if the face value of the ticket would be donated to local charities.
    I'm indifferent so maybe that will be the case, if so, then Francis touring would be a positive thing.

If not then it's just a money maker. I'd be wondering where the money flows from these tours.
    Just another religion where it's core tenet is money making with the false front of love, compassion where calling it out and constructively criticizing it's practices triggers accusations of being edgy, cool or whatever deflective insults are in vogue.

Rome is paying. That was made very public many months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They are non transferable tickets and it was said the organisers and the Gardai would be involved if the person with the ticket is not the person who bought the ticket.
    Maybe it is for security purposes, they do have so much security in Rome due to ISIS saying they want to murder him and want to attack that city.

ISIS saying they want to murder him

:eek:

I wouldn't be getting front row seats here - what can you do with an ISIS lad who thinks he's off to meet the four and twenty virgins

Thank you Robert. Thank you.

I will not be there ; cannot travel these days. My neighbour's family live in Knock so will hear all the news.

And yes, he will do what he can here. Smiling re Brother Kevin at the Capucins.
    spent some time with him at Ards and a finer man you could not hope to meet. Would love to meet him again,

And again, Rome paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Shouldn't we book all the tickets and then not show up?

gctest50 wrote: »
    :eek:

I wouldn't be getting front row seats here - what can you do with an ISIS lad who thinks he's off to meet the four and twenty virgins

It will be airport like security to enter events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Shouldn't we book all the tickets and then not show up?

To what point? What would it achieve? Would it improve anything? Will it somehow make anything better?

It'd just be a petty move to deny other people who actually want to go the opportunity to do so. Regardless of their reasons for going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'll be going and so will my mate - we will be bringing the daughter just like we got the experience and opportunity to be part of a Popes visit when we were children - something that had had a huge oart in our generations memories. We have never had a Pope before who fired bishops and priests for extravagance, who refused to sit in the papal palace but instead chose to live in a humble space, who made such effort to row back on some of the horrifying damage done in previous decades while sticking to his values. No doubt if the Dali Lama (or however you spell it) came the athiests would be flocking in their droves to visit that head of Church. If you dont want to attend just don't - simples - the Church over the past years has a lot to answer to and nobody could stand over what happend - if you don't want to go then don't - but enough of this unfettered and aggressive hate and sneering of all things to do with religion and those that stand up.for their beliefs and values.

• Advertisement

It will be airport like security to enter events.

It could be quicker to get through an airport. Between walking from park and rides, queing, then a further walk to the papel cross, its suggesting to allow around three hours, EITHER side of the mass.

Advertisement