Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Having notions'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Only ever acceptable if the deceased was an active member of a paramilitary and/or criminal gang.

Or you are blind.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed this thing about notions? It's like the ultimate Irish meme. Anything and everything can be considered having notions.

Driving with sunroof down on a hot day=Notions
    Walking with a coffee in hand=Notions
    Drinking gin=Notions
    Wearing sunglasses=Notions

Could you imagine an American thinking someone 'has notions' for wearing sunglasses?

From urban dictionary
    "

As you can see , notions is an Irish thing. Seems tied to our whole begrudgery thing(I think Bono's quote is bollox btw) but I suppose we begrudge in our own unique way which notions seems tied into. I suppose for Americans it would be equivalent of being a douche.

Always cringe when I see it.

In fairness if you sail into the office with the sunglasses perched on top of your head and a skinny mochasoyalateefrappoyokey in your hand then you probably do have notions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Actually a really interesting point. Not sure what one would pay for a live-in nanny in Ireland, but I used to work with a guy who'd five kids and both parents worked.

Their childcare costs used to suck up his entire wage every week. A nanny would have been cheaper not to mention offered enormously better benefits on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Actually a really interesting point. Not sure what one would pay for a live-in nanny in Ireland, but I used to work with a guy who'd five kids and both parents worked.

Their childcare costs used to suck up his entire wage every week. A nanny would have been cheaper not to mention offered enormously better benefits on top.

Employing someone in this jurisdiction is a colossal, expensive pain-in-the-arse. Pity, it's actually one seriously effective solution to this affordable childcare problem everyone is on about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What childcare would you need on holiday outside of babysitting? It’s not like you’re off to work in the mornings.

In addition, how much eye-rolling have you actually witnessed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jaysis, that's grim.

Right... but on holiday. So there are two parents present. And lots of people have families that big on holiday with no extra help. You’d have to have paid her so fine but it in no way sounds like she was really needed. If you didn’t have the obligation of paying a full-time nanny, I’m sure you’d find the odd babysitter here and there would easily suffice. Nobody needs full-time childcare on a holiday where two parents are present. So I can understand their bemusement.
    Without going into detail, some of my extended family are predisposed to roll their eyes when I come up in conversation, so this is just another thing for them to cast judgment upon.

Honestly, you seem to revel in this a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

star-trek-shocked.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Right... but on holiday. So there are two parents present. And lots of people have families that big on holiday with no extra help. You’d have to have paid her so fine but it in no way sounds like she was really needed. If you didn’t have the obligation of paying a full-time nanny, I’m sure you’d find the odd babysitter here and there would easily suffice. Nobody needs full-time childcare on a holiday where two parents are present. So I can understand their bemusement.

Honestly, you seem to revel in this a bit.

You seem to be missing his point. They have to pay the nanny anyway, the help is appreciated and she wanted to come. Ok, the flights might be/are an extra but they now have options to spend a bit of time without the kids if they want. Always a nice option to have.

I don't think he said she was really needed and yes, families cope with the same situation without a nanny. But his situation is different. I would be bemused if they didn't bring her given the fact that she wanted to come.

I can't see him revelling in it. It's all quite matter of fact, as is the norm with him.

PARlance wrote: »
    You seem to be missing his point. They have to pay the nanny anyway, the help is appreciated and she wanted to come. Ok, the flights might be/are an extra but they now have options to spend a bit of time without the kids if they want. Always a nice option to have.

I don't think he said she was really needed and yes, families cope with the same situation without a nanny. But his situation is different. I would be bemused if they didn't bring her given the fact that she wanted to come.

I can't see him revelling in it. It's all quite matter of fact, as is the norm with him.

Er, nope, I got that. They might as well bring her. I get it. But I can understand why someone would raise at an eyebrow at two parents on holiday having a nanny in tow. It’s nice to have but far from a necessity. Very far.

And you might say “It’s not their place to be bemused”. Well, newsflash, we all judge people, all the time. You, me, Permabear, everyone. Absolutely everyone does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Er, nope, I got that. They might as well bring her. I get it. But I can understand why someone would raise at an eyebrow at two parents on holiday having a nanny in tow. It’s nice to have but far from a necessity. Very far.

So are many things, from an iPhone to a house cleaner. Different people have different priorities.

"Notions" usually means "he/she has something I don't have and I am going to pretend I don't wish I did have" in Irish RuralSpeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Aka Yale.

Patww79 wrote: »

Once again, I got that part. The (apparent) eyerollers were probably not privy to that detail.

As for it being a whole summer. If they didn’t need to pay her and therefore not bring her, an occasional stay at a childminder would be way cheaper and would easily suffice for when a breather is required. Rural Ireland is lousy with childminders who will take kids on sporadic days and it’d be easy enough to get references for them.

I’m just saying I can understand why people would think a full time nanny for two vacationing parents is a tad excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Maybe the whole summer is a holiday for the wife and kids, and Permabear will work offsite for some of the time. The days of being chained to a desk in the office are long gone for many of us.

Oh look, if you can afford it, knock yourself out. It’s a want more than a need though. I just think surprise is a pretty normal reaction here and not necessarily begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

zell12 wrote: »
    I left the immersion on for 3 HOURS

That's not notions, that's practically a terrorist act... if you'd left the immersion on any longer you'd have taken out half the county.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Chewbacca wrote: »
    If Permabear wants to bring his "nanny" to Ireland and bang her for the Summer, he can.

If I recall his story correctly, which he's volunteered on here, he and his ex missus used to babysit for his current missus. So it's kinda the wife that has form for banging the nanny/manny if anything. It's all high net confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Omackeral wrote: »
    If I recall his story correctly, which he's volunteered on here, he and his ex missus used to babysit for his current missus. So it's kinda the wife that has form for banging the nanny/manny if anything. It's all high net confusing!

It was something like the plot of Pretty Woman but with swimming in the ocean and stuff.

Ush1 wrote: »
    It was something like the plot of Pretty Woman but with swimming in the ocean and stuff.

That's where she's happiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have actually seen people eye roll over somebody having a paid nanny(Who did a lot of the looking after) but it was generally because isn't it terrible they won't look after the kids themselves.
    This isn't directed at the OP!

I have actually seen people eye roll over somebody having a paid nanny(Who did a lot of the looking after) but it was generally because isn't it terrible they won't look after the kids themselves.

Like when they’re working? That’s mad. How is having a nanny different to plonking the childers in creche?

They'd die of eye rolling if they saw what Indian Nannies do over here. My friend's nanny cooks and cleans as well as taking care of the kids. She also mothers my friend to the point of making sure she drinks enough water to keep her milk supply up when she's working from home.

Yes, she is well paid, and well worth it for the stress relief it provides to a couple who both work hectic stressful jobs.

Like when they’re working? That’s mad. How is having a nanny different to plonking the childers in creche?

It's easier and better for the kids - therefore notions as Irish Mothers (not Fathers) should be martyrs if everyone else can't afford a nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

More sort of when they have a full time nanny that's near always around! Not when they are working that is of course different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

kerryjack wrote: »
    20 years ago you couldn't wear a pair of shorts in this country you couldn't buy a coffee in the local pub,we have changed now you can do what you want when you want and no one gives a ****

Coffee is fine but the shorts, ah come on now lads ffs.

Advertisement