Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Having notions'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,201 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Generally when I hear somebody say oh they have notions it generally refers to people who are punching way out of their league.
    Somebody who got 200 point in their leaving trying to become solicitor by going to the local community college and doing several certs and the don't seem to be moving forward.
    Or somebody who tries to pick up partners that are totally out of their league.
    I have never heard it being said about somebody drinking coffee or gin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Notions potions
    Emotions Explosion
    In motion
    With The ocean
    Commotions
    Ripples and a tipple
    Wet t shirt nipple
    Flirt get hurt
    New word is yurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

20 years ago you couldn't wear a pair of shorts in this country you couldn't buy a coffee in the local pub,we have changed now you can do what you want when you want and no one gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Notions?? .... Moi ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

shakeitoff wrote: »
    cultural phenomenon then. It is a meme, It's something I see online more than irl and it's completely Irish. The ultimate Irish meme.

It’s not really used much now, is it? Now, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Creches in ireland calling themselves "little harvard". There is one in Leixlip and another in Swords. Maybe it's the same owner, dunno

Notions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Creches in ireland calling themselves "little harvard". There is one in Leixlip and another in Swords. Maybe it's the same owner, dunno

Notions

Quality. Perfect example of Notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes. Last summer I walked by a group of 3 local lads sitting outside a pup mid-day and one of them made some comment as I walked by them about my sunglasses. I was meant to hear it too. They were the sort of beer guzzling football fan county types I wouldn't mix with in a million years but yeah - they'd be the sort who'd be 'notion' hunters. This was in a small rural town mind where one to expect to find those sorts of ppl.

Sunglasses, what notions you have! Can you not just wear wrangler jeans with a big belt buckle, caterpillar boots and a checked shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Burritos..... Notions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

valoren wrote: »
    Remember when you'd be out and about circa 2009-2012 and you'd literally buy anything and you'd be told "Ah c'mere, there's no recession in ye're house anyway!"

Said that to my mates auld fella when he got a brand new 5-series BMW mid recession. I cringed at myself many times since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

Burritos..... Notions

lmao a californian hammered street food.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Driving with sunroof down on a hot day=Notions
    Drinking gin=Notions
    Wearing sunglasses=Notions

Defo if you are doing all of these things at the same time...

If OP has heard all these things, they're painting quite the picture of themselves...

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Drinking craft beer ....... notions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Hotels in the backarse of nowhere putting 'Resort' in it's name.
    Notions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never heard of this meme. and don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed this thing about notions? It's like the ultimate Irish meme. Anything and everything can be considered having notions.

Driving with sunroof down on a hot day=Notions
    Walking with a coffee in hand=Notions
    Drinking gin=Notions
    Wearing sunglasses=Notions

Could you imagine an American thinking someone 'has notions' for wearing sunglasses?

From urban dictionary
    "

As you can see , notions is an Irish thing. Seems tied to our whole begrudgery thing(I think Bono's quote is bollox btw) but I suppose we begrudge in our own unique way which notions seems tied into. I suppose for Americans it would be equivalent of being a douche.

Always cringe when I see it.

In fairness, JUST OWNING a convertable in Ireland is having Notions/Ideas above your station!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    In fairness, JUST OWNING a convertable in Ireland is having Notions/Ideas above your station!

:pac:

There's only something like a 6 days in the average year you can put the roof down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A married woman giving herself a Double barrel surname despite having brothers who will continue the 'family' name anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Double barrel surnames.

My wife wanted this when we married last year. I was having none of it. She's from a middle class background and I'm working class northside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

D3V!L wrote: »
    Double barrel surnames.

My wife wanted this when we married last year. I was having none of it. She's from a middle class background and I'm working class northside Dublin.
    You arbitrarily decided what name your wife could choose to call herself? Notions of control there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

conorhal wrote: »
    Depends, are these fancy-shmancy 'glasses for the sun' on yer actual face or ....are they up on top of your head?
    Because if it's the latter.... NOTIONS!!

Sunglasses worn to a funeral....Peak notions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You arbitrarily decided what name your wife could choose to call herself? Notions of control there...

Yep ;)

Right before I patted her on the bum and told her to make me a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A married woman giving herself a Double barrel surname despite having brothers who will continue the 'family' name anyway.

Unless you're related to royalty or happen to own a Downton Abbey type ancestral pile it's a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,416 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I left the immersion on for 3 HOURS

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Unless you're related to royalty or happen to own a Downton Abbey type ancestral pile it's a bit stupid.

...or maybe want to keep your own name in daily use as well as taking your husband's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

padd b1975 wrote: »

I dunno. Some light relief perhaps on a difficult occasion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

mikemac2 wrote: »

Notions

I saw a creche in Kinsale with the tagline "lifelong learning".... little Jimmy ain't gonna be there when he's 25 pal (I hope...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

padd b1975 wrote: »

Only ever acceptable if the deceased was an active member of a paramilitary and/or criminal gang.

Advertisement