Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Having notions'

Options
  • 19-06-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone else noticed this thing about notions? It's like the ultimate Irish meme. Anything and everything can be considered having notions.

Driving with sunroof down on a hot day=Notions
    Walking with a coffee in hand=Notions
    Drinking gin=Notions
    Wearing sunglasses=Notions

Could you imagine an American thinking someone 'has notions' for wearing sunglasses?

From urban dictionary
    Being up yourself or thinking you're above/better than everyone else. A descriptor of someone you may know who has now gotten ideas or behaviours that would have previously been believed to be above their station.
    "Did you see Sorcha's picture on Facebook? CAVIAR?! Absolute notions. And she from Ballybackarseofnowhere? Was far from Caviar she was raised.
    "

As you can see , notions is an Irish thing. Seems tied to our whole begrudgery thing(I think Bono's quote is bollox btw) but I suppose we begrudge in our own unique way which notions seems tied into. I suppose for Americans it would be equivalent of being a douche.

Always cringe when I see it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Sunglasses? really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

shakeitoff wrote: »
    It's like the ultimate Irish meme.

...christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

verycool wrote: »
    ...christ.

cultural phenomenon then. It is a meme, It's something I see online more than irl and it's completely Irish. The ultimate Irish meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Begrudgery rooted in jealousy isn't pleasant.

But begrudgery as an honest check on arseholism is essential for Irish society to operate into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

When was the last time anyone actually talked about "notions" to you in real life?
    It's a lazy trope for "What a complete Aisling" knockoffs. It's the water immersion joke of the 2010s and the sooner it dies off the better.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Begrudgery rooted in jealousy isn't pleasant.

But begrudgery as an honest check on arseholism is essential for Irish society to operate into the future.

Hahaha yeah. That's true. I kind of like that about Ireland. Anyone acting too pompous in a wider social setting will be derided until they can prove otherwise. So I can see why driving around with a roof down can be seen as having notions. Just don't take yourself too seriously and it's all good. it's still just funny though because it's so Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I think the notion of us irish being begrudgers is overplayed too though. Express a dislike for something and it’s often labeled as begrudgery, even though you may not be the slightest bit envious of the person/thing.

Popped up a good bit in the ongoing AH thread about the Rubberbandits.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    When was the last time anyone actually talked about "notions" to you in real life?
    It's a lazy trope for "What a complete Aisling" knockoffs. It's the water immersion joke of the 2010s and the sooner it dies off the better.

That's so true. I hate it. Every cringeworthy person I know uses it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nowaynever

Bridget and Eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It's just the latest buzz word that sterotypical millennials use to get attention, like "blah blah blah, and i'm dead"

O rly? Dead you say? The fact that you typed that instagram post says otherwise.

Anyone with more than half a brain just ignores it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

What you mentioned OP is not having notions, at least not in the sense of how it used to be defined.

Sally Jane wearing a belly top with a big swiss roll of fat hanging out is having notions about herself.
    Tiffany drinking Krystal in Lillies when she claims the scratch is having notions
    Claire expecting a 15k diamond engagement ring from Gary, her minimum paid fiancee, is having notions
    Anto putting €2k low profiles on his 2005 Micra is having notions.

As already said, having notions when applied in the case of curbing someone's overly inflated ego is perfectly fine and one of the things I love about being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RoboRat wrote: »
    What you mentioned OP is not having notions, at least not in the sense of how it used to be defined.

Sally Jane wearing a belly top with a big swiss roll of fat hanging out is having notions about herself.
    Tiffany drinking Krystal in Lillies when she claims the scratch is having notions
    Claire expecting a 15k diamond engagement ring from Gary, her minimum paid fiancee, is having notions
    Anto putting €2k low profiles on his 2005 Micra is having notions.

As already said, having notions when applied in the case of curbing someone's overly inflated ego is perfectly fine and one of the things I love about being Irish.

English version is "having ideas above your station ", as in "who do you think you are?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The OP does have a point though.

There's plenty of people around who get very bitter if a person was to do anything remotely 'fancy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,937 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Drinking gin=Notions

Defo if you are doing all of these things at the same time...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Because I’d perfer to protect my eyes and wear sunglasses means I’ve notions ? Now the likes of lads walking around in their Ralph Loren t-shirts driving their daddies Audi that’s notions.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Because I’d perfer to protect my eyes and wear sunglasses means I’ve notions ? Now the likes of lads walking around in their Ralph Loren t-shirts driving their daddies Audi that’s notions.

That's my point, I've seen some inane everyday things labelled as having notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Anyone driving around in a PCP financed car has notions. I'm alright with what anyone else is up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Hahaha yeah. That's true. I kind of like that about Ireland. Anyone acting too pompous in a wider social setting will be derided until they can prove otherwise. So I can see why driving around with a roof down can be seen as having notions. Just don't take yourself too seriously and it's all good. it's still just funny though because it's so Irish

Hm, having a sun roof (in Ireland!) whether up or down, is notions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt is the epitome of having notions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Having notions that the sun is gonna arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The most accurate definition of someone who has notions in Ireland for me is someone who grew up poor and in later life does everything they can to project an image to the world that they are rich and come from "good" backgrounds, such people are insufferable and actually massively insecure as they cannot accept themselves as they are and start talking and acting all posh..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Grayson wrote: »
    Sunglasses? really?

Yes. Last summer I walked by a group of 3 local lads sitting outside a pup mid-day and one of them made some comment as I walked by them about my sunglasses. I was meant to hear it too. They were the sort of beer guzzling football fan county types I wouldn't mix with in a million years but yeah - they'd be the sort who'd be 'notion' hunters. This was in a small rural town mind where one to expect to find those sorts of ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The "Aisling" variety of glamourised bog-trottery irritates me a great deal, almost as much as when I hear that old chestnut about the immersion heater trotted out. And yes, I have "notions" but I'm putting ointment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Doing your weekly shopping in Marks & Spencer.

ha ha ha, had this out with my old man last night. He was telling a story about how some guy used to work with him on the factory floor and managed to get a job in the offices, so he left his snickers at home in place for casual trousers and a shirt!!
    " he loves himself", always did, and the likes..."couldn't wait to wear a tie and drink red wine" :D

So he wanted to get on and maybe secure something better for himself, hence, NOTIONS!!! it's gas. Stick with the dullards!! you'll be liked more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Drinking gin=Notions

Defo if you are doing all of these things at the same time...

Also eating your chips with a fork....in fact, eating anything with a fork!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Depends, are these fancy-shmancy 'glasses for the sun' on yer actual face or ....are they up on top of your head?
    Because if it's the latter.... NOTIONS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Remember when you'd be out and about circa 2009-2012 and you'd literally buy anything and you'd be told "Ah c'mere, there's no recession in ye're house anyway!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Up until very recently (the 90's) we were piss poor. We're also a very insecure race of people.

"Love me Mr. American visitor, can I play my banjo and do an Oirish jig for ya, be the hokey"

.....you would heard said!

So this whole notions thing is no surprise.

Advertisement