Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest ongoing Commute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

I commute from Mullingar To Dublin daily. Door to door is around 1 hr 40mins. Travel by train (approx 1 hr 25 mins), which is painfully slow for such a relatively short journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Clonsilla to dublin1 for the last 12 years. 55mins in and 50min home. 10miles each way by a very slow train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Stheno wrote: »
    ive a colleague who commutes from Cork o Dublin every day

My old boss does that 3days per week.😰

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I'm luckier than many,my current commute is the longest I've had.Naas to Dublin city centre,1 hour by car/train/walking.My previous commute was a 25 minute drive with no traffic so I thought this would be horrible but it's not bad at all and gives me a chance to listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

I've no idea how people are able to do longer commutes year in,year out.It has to be corrosive to relationships and your health.In my previous job there was a guy who had been commuting from the outskirts of Galway to west Dublin for years,he was very well paid but I just couldn't see how it could be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I've no idea how people are able to do longer commutes year in,year out.It has to be corrosive to relationships and your health.In my previous job there was a guy who had been commuting from the outskirts of Galway to west Dublin for years,he was very well paid but I just couldn't see how it could be worth it.

It's not unless you're doing it for a very short time as part of a plan for advancement to a better role.

I've gone cold on changing jobs before when I went to the interview and realised I'd be stepping up to a 2 hr + commute. A lot of employers are blinkered in failing to see how flexible work time to avoid rush hour, working from home and cycle facilities would help them by giving them a healthier and less tired workforce. Instead they begrudge these things as a concession to shirkers and troublemakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    It's not unless you're doing it for a very short time as part of a plan for advancement to a better role.

I've gone cold on changing jobs before when I went to the interview and realised I'd be stepping up to a 2 hr + commute. A lot of employers are blinkered in failing to see how flexible work time to avoid rush hour, working from home and cycle facilities would help them by giving them a healthier and less tired workforce. Instead they begrudge these things as a concession to shirkers and troublemakers.

Totally agree- they are ignoring and missing so much potential talent with the "we want you chained to a desk" mentality. Which is all too common in Irish business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Apocalypticism

I live in Youghal and work in City Gate, Mahon. Travel Monday to Friday every week.

I wake up at 6:00 eat breakfast and head to the bus stop at about 6:40 and the bus from Youghal to Cork is at 7:00 or 7:10. I arrive in the Cork city parnell place bus stop between 8:00 or 8:30 depends on the traffic then I take 202 bus and I am at the final bus stop 30-40 minutes after boarding the bus, then I walk for about 10 minutes and I am at the office I work in.
    So I leave house at 6:40 and I am at the office usually between 8:50 and 9:20.
    Heading back is about the same and usually I am at home at 20:00. So painful.

Wish rents in Cork city were less expensive, I wouldn't like to share a house with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I live in Youghal and work in City Gate, Mahon. Travel Monday to Friday every week.

I wake up at 6:00 eat breakfast and head to the bus stop at about 6:40 and the bus from Youghal to Cork is at 7:00 or 7:10. I arrive in the Cork city parnell place bus stop between 8:00 or 8:30 depends on the traffic then I take 202 bus and I am at the final bus stop 30-40 minutes after boarding the bus, then I walk for about 10 minutes and I am at the office I work in.

Wish rents in Cork city were less expensive, I wouldn't like to share a house with others.

This is the key point... despite all the focus/reports on the problems in Dublin, it's getting so any of the main employment centres are just as bad - maybe not as expensive as Dublin, but taking into account further/costlier commutes and lower wages it works out as having the same effects :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

road_high wrote: »
    Totally agree- they are ignoring and missing so much potential talent with the "we want you chained to a desk" mentality. Which is all too common in Irish business.

Its bonkers. Bosses I know have refused staff an 11 - 7 shift (rather than 10 - 6) because it would "give the impression we cover longer hours than we do". And forget about working from home, just forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ive a friend who does Monivea in Galway to Blanchardstown every day, says she knows every bump on the N6. Does`nt seem to bother her too much, 2 hrs each way each day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Partner is doing commute from Tinahely area to Dublin.
    I drive him down to the bus stop in Gorey (15-20 minutes) because I need the car for school runs, bus takes around 1.45 minutes in and a bit longer back, where I collect him. He's doing it 3 day a week and the rest of the week it's from home to Wexford which is a 45-50 minutes trip by car.
    When he has loads of work in Dublin he stays with his folks to get time on the clock and finish earlier or take a day off. That distance was what we could afford, we weren't able to find affordable rental in or anywhere near Dublin with 2 children, there is absolutely nothing around and we had the choice to either stay living with his parents or buy where we could afford it, the house is very modest. We're one of these families that make too much money for benefits but too little to live anywhere close to Dublin.

But in fairness, the area and the people here are absolutely lovely and there are many people working in Dublin, which is surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Journo_lady

Hi,

My name is Roisin Burke, I am a journalist with the Evening Echo in Cork.

(Twitter handle: Journo_Lady)

I read a board you wrote about commuting from Youghal every day due to high rents in the city and I was wondering if you would speak to me for an article about the housing crisis in Cork?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Roisin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Before long Athlone will be a Dublin suburb

You're probably not far off. I live in Athlone and I know a few people commuting to Dublin. It's a bit mental but much preferable for anyone who has a house and/or a family. For a lot of people, moving to Dublin isn't an option and moving closer is a bit pointless. The train takes 1h 30m and then add on whatever you need to get to the workplace.

Commuter trains already serve Portlaoise and Longford. Athlone won't be far behind at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

7 km takes me 15 mins !

But was doing cabra to Leopardstown and it could take anything from 35 mins to 90 mins on a bad day , will never take that on again regardless of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I commute to Cork city centre every day from GN-z11 (currently the most distant known astronomical object in the observable universe). It's 32 billion light years each way, every day. Definitely, the bulk of the travel time is taken up in the jams at Dunkettle N40 interchange an the Jack Lynch Tunnel rather than the traversing of universe, which is a usually an unobstructed cruise. There are some bad black pot holes on the outskirts of the Milky Way which the lazy shítes in the Galaxy Council really ought to get the finger out about and get sorted but I won't hold my breath.

I'm thinking would I be wise to switch to a diesel car - would the fuel savings justify the cost? And with a 64 billion light year daily round trip, I'd want something fairly comfortable as I won't have any opportunity to stop between home and Cork to get a coffee and stretch the legs because there is feck all along my route - it's literally a vacuum.

Have I won the longest commute competition yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I commute to Cork city centre every day from GN-z11 (currently the most distant known astronomical object in the observable universe). It's 32 billion light years each way, every day. Definitely, the bulk of the travel time is taken up in the jams at Dunkettle N40 interchange an the Jack Lynch Tunnel rather than the traversing of universe, which is a usually an unobstructed cruise. There are some bad black pot holes on the outskirts of the Milky Way which the lazy shítes in the Galaxy Council really ought to get the finger out about and get sorted but I won't hold my breath.

I'm thinking would I be wise to switch to a diesel car - would the fuel savings justify the cost? And with a 64 billion light year daily round trip, I'd want something fairly comfortable as I won't have any opportunity to stop between home and Cork to get a coffee and stretch the legs because there is feck all along my route - it's literally a vacuum.

It's not a competition... it IS however a sad indictment of the state of planning, housing and public transport in this country!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Driving from near Arvagh in Cavan to Dublin & back daily. 90 mins each way on a good day, but so many numpties driving out there it can be well over 2 hours some trips. Dont mind the driving part its the expense of it that bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Worked with a guy who traveled from Youghal,Co.Cork to Shannon 5 days a week and every second full weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

Your motoring costs must being astronomical !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I’m flabbergasted by some of the commutes and my heart breaks for anyone trapped in such a situation. My husband and I moved out of Dublin to the south east to his hometown. I was able to transfer my job but my husband wasn’t and had to commute. He drove from just outside Kilkenny to swords 5 days a week and it nearly killed him. He took a €15k drop in salary and a demotion of sorts to work 20 mins from home. His boss in Dublin lived in Thurles and drove to their Blanchardstown office daily, and the bosses wife drove to their cork office daily. Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

fg1406 wrote: »
    I’m flabbergasted by some of the commutes and my heart breaks for anyone trapped in such a situation. My husband and I moved out of Dublin to the south east to his hometown. I was able to transfer my job but my husband wasn’t and had to commute. He drove from just outside Kilkenny to swords 5 days a week and it nearly killed him. He took a €15k drop in salary and a demotion of sorts to work 20 mins from home. His boss in Dublin lived in Thurles and drove to their Blanchardstown office daily, and the bosses wife drove to their cork office daily. Madness!

Thurles-Cork is quite a reasonable commute, provided that the destination is quite easily accessible from the M8/N40

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

fg1406 wrote: »

He has my admiration!

I do Portlaoise to Stephen's Green daily - 2 hours each way, so a 20 hour commute each week - walk, train, LUAS, LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's not a competition... it IS however a sad indictment of the state of planning, housing and public transport in this country!

It is not just down to planning. Some commuting is down to life factors. You may have couple where one is working a distance from family home which is near the spouses work. In later life people are unwilling to have to move schools and house if job circumstances change. Some people just do not want to live in Dublin.

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

It is not just down to planning. Some commuting is down to life factors. You may have couple where one is working a distance from family home which is near the spouses work. In later life people are unwilling to have to move schools and house if job circumstances change. Some people just do not want to live in Dublin.

Nail - Head - BOOM!

I wouldn't live in Dublin if you gifted me a free house.

Countryside all the way.

I wouldn't live in Dublin for all the tea in china. Overpriced rat race kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

Gaspode wrote: »
    Driving from near Arvagh in Cavan... Dont mind the driving part its the expense of it that bothers me.

Said like only a true Cavan person could :pac:

I commuted from the Meath/ Cavan boarder to south Dublin daily for over a year. 2.5 - 3 hours each way! Drive - Train - Dart repeat. Soul destroying stuff.

I work 15 minutes down the road. "Less" money (About €15k gross) but with commuting costs I think financially and most definitely life balance wise I am way better off.

Most folk commuting long distances for whatever reason chose to do so. They might try and dress it up as my home is an hour + from work etc etc so what can I do but we all largely end up where we put ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Augeo wrote: »
    Most folk commuting long distances for whatever reason chose to do so. They might try and dress it up as my home is an hour + from work etc etc so what can I do but we all largely end up where we put ourselves.

Not necessiarly. It all very good if you are a public servant and can refuse to move with for your employer. But lots of lads have to move jobs. Ab example is lads working for large civil's contractors. They could be on a road project in Mayo for 6-8 months and then in Cork on a sewer job. Neighbour of mine would consider haveing to travel 60 miles at thsi type of work as a hand commute.

It is quite commonplace with large number 's of mobile jobs in utility's contracting nowadays. As well you may have lads working in ajob in a factory in Cork, Limerick or Galways or any number of large towns when when it shuts or down sizes have to take a job 20-60 miles away.

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah ............. there's a cool story bro element to that :)
    Do your examples cover most people doing long commutes? Nope :)
    Utility contractors and factory workers don't have the Dunkettle interchange, N7 and M50 jammed every morning me thinks.

• Advertisement

N...... But lots of lads have to move jobs. Ab example is lads working for large civil's contractors. They could be on a road project in Mayo for 6-8 months and then in Cork on a sewer job. Neighbour of mine would consider haveing to travel 60 miles at thsi type of work as a hand commute.

It is quite commonplace with large number 's of mobile jobs in utility's contracting nowadays. ......

That's 100% true of people employed in construction on an on-site basis. You're always chasing work around the country, commuting, difficult to settle anywhere. Even lecturers told us in final year in Civil Engineering that just to bear that in mind if we were to go down the route of working for contractors. Many of us went into the consultancy side of things or for state jobs which are much better in terms of stability and commute.

But to compensate, consultancy and state jobs are paid a good chunk less than contractors' engineers who are paid a premium due to a number of factors - long hours, transient workplace and always going site to site, living and working in portocabins, muck, dust etc, long and constantly changing commutes, a highly stressed and pressurised working environment.

Luckily I avoided the contractor jobs. No money is worth that lifestyle.

Advertisement